Archive for Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Ex-congressman Slattery to run for US Senate

April 30, 2008

Advertisement

Audio Clips
Slattery to run for US Senate

— Promising to bring change to Washington, D.C., former congressman Jim Slattery on Tuesday described U.S. Sen. Pat Roberts as an "entrenched career politician" who played a key role in President Bush's war in Iraq and failed economic policies.

"(Roberts) has become part of what we must change if we are to put our country back on track," Slattery, a Democrat, said to a cheering crowd as he kicked off his campaign.

Roberts, a Republican seeking his third Senate term, issued a radio ad and press statement criticizing Slattery for his work as a lobbyist in Washington.

"He stopped working for Kansas 14 years ago and made millions for himself," the ad says.

Slattery, who represented the 2nd Congressional District for 12 years before losing a bid for governor in 1994, said he couldn't sit on the political sidelines any longer.

"I have been observing the federal government from the outside - watching the breathtaking incompetence and indifference in our political leadership," he said.

Slattery took Roberts to task for backing policies that have resulted in the growing national debt and high gasoline prices while oil companies have reaped record profits.

He blasted Roberts, who was chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, for his oversight during the run-up to the war in Iraq.

"Senator Pat Roberts supported a reckless fiscal policy and Iraq war policy of the Bush-Cheney administration," Slattery said.

Roberts' campaign spokeswoman Ashley McManus shot back, saying, "Already this week, Pat Roberts has won a huge victory for Kansas manufacturing jobs by defeating new taxes in the aviation bill. Meanwhile, in 14 years as a Washington lobbyist, the only thing Jim Slattery's changed is his address."

Slattery faces Lee Jones, an Overland Park railroad engineer, in the Democratic Party primary in August. But with the backing of Gov. Kathleen Sebelius and other party leaders, Slattery is considered the favorite to win the nomination. A campaign against Roberts, however, will be tough in Kansas, where 45 percent of registered voters are Republican. Democrats and independents split the remaining 55 percent.

Bob Beatty, a political science professor at Washburn University, said if Democrats ride another "wave" as they did in 2006 when they took over Congress, then Slattery becomes electable.

"They wanted a viable Democrat on that ballot who is running a strong campaign so that if people did go into that voting booth thinking 'change,' they would be able to have some confidence in the Democrat," Beatty said.

State Rep. Paul Davis, D-Lawrence, who worked on Slattery's unsuccessful campaign for governor in 1994, said he believed Slattery had a chance.

"Jim is going to run a very aggressive, issue-oriented campaign," he said.

State Senate Democratic leader Anthony Hensley, D-Topeka, whose distinct includes part of Douglas County, said he thinks Roberts' performance as Senate Intelligence Committee chairman during the lead-up to the Iraq war will become a major issue.

"I believe Jim Slattery is at the right place at the right time," Hensley said.

Comments

KS 7 years, 2 months ago

Slattery must be out of work. The economy must really be bad, because I thought lobbying paid more than a US Senator. He really doesn't stand a chance.

pace 7 years, 2 months ago

I always liked jim, he is a hard worker, the far better of the two men. We don't need anymore spendaholics. Tired of Pats corporate angels.

BigDog 7 years, 2 months ago

Well it is hard to try to run as an "outsider" when you have also been in Washington over 25 years, as a Congressman and as a partner in one of the largest lobbying firms in Washington.Can't someone run who isn't part of the problem. And yes, Washington lobbyists are part of the problem in Washington.

Steve Jacob 7 years, 2 months ago

Dems. should be happy to get a name vs Roberts. Roberts should still win easy, but he is one of the few senator's left that would allow G.W. Bush to come to Kansas for fundraisers.

jasonc_22 7 years, 2 months ago

pat's a fine man, but, just like Jim Ryun, he doesn't know what it's like to be a kansan anymore...and doesn't even own a home here anymore.Slatts represented us very well in Congress, and I'm positive he'd do us better than Roberts is.

Centerville 7 years, 2 months ago

I hope Slattery's idea of "change" isn't another giant tax hike, like the one that passed (thanks to his vote) in 1994. That and the whining about how taxpayers are "selfish". P.U.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.