Archive for Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Branson launches re-election campaign

April 30, 2008

Douglas County's District Attorney will seek another term

Charles Branson announced his re-election bid this afternoon on the steps of the Law Enforcement Center. Enlarge video

District Attorney Charles Branson

There's still work to be done.

That was Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson's message Tuesday as he announced his re-election bid to about two dozen supporters who gathered outside the Douglas County Judicial and Law Enforcement Center.

When Branson first ran for office four years ago, he pledged to spend more time in the courtroom. He said he's kept that promise by prosecuting a wide range of cases, from traffic hearings to murder trials.

Among other accomplishments, he cited creation of:

¢ Douglas County's first Consumer Protection Division, meaning local victims of frauds or scams don't have to travel to Topeka to report crimes.

¢ An education program to familiarize victims and witnesses with the court system before testifying at trial.

¢ An internship program with KU's School of Social Welfare to work with victims of domestic violence.

¢ A community alert network where local service agencies, churches, business leaders and civic organizations work together to help prevent crime.

In announcing his re-election campaign, Branson said he wants to continue the work he started four years ago.

"We must continue to make Douglas County safer, to make criminals pay for their crimes and to make this community a safe home for our families and children," he said, with his wife and two children by his side.

Branson said he wants to work on creation of a local crime victims compensation board; to continue to push for establishment of a Douglas County child advocacy center; and to expand his consumer protection division to increase its educational outreach.

Branson has officially yet to file paperwork with the Kansas Secretary of State's office. So far, he has no opposition. The filing deadline is June 10.

Comments

armyguy 6 years, 5 months ago

Keep up the good work, and don't let the douche bag detractors on this site get you down. I'll get you a campaign contribution when I get home on leave. Heck, I may even host a fundraiser for you.

been_there 6 years, 5 months ago

more empty promises. I know two crimminals that you didn't make pay for their crimes

been_there 6 years, 5 months ago

When you give crimminals a free walk they get cocky and it encourages them to commit more crimes because they figure they'll just beat it again.

LivingTheDream 6 years, 5 months ago

I can only imagine that being the District Attorney is a thankless job. Only those that have stood before a judge or jury can understand the dedication that a prosecutor has. Good luck, Mr. Branson. Keep up the good work.

WHY 6 years, 5 months ago

"I'm going to ask the community to re-elect me, not for what we've done over the last four years, but for what we're going to do in the next four years to keep Douglas County safe," said Branson, 38.Good choices Mr Branson because if we voted on what you have done you would be gone.

ilovelucy 6 years, 5 months ago

Beobachter & been:First, I'm certainly happy that you let your conscience vote for you instead of being influenced by names in an ad. Shows that you put tons of thought into your decisions.Second, been, learn how to spell.Charles has done an excellent job and he's definitely got my support!

been_there 6 years, 5 months ago

been, learn how to spell.You couldn't find anything better than that? I am voting by my experience with him and that of others that I know. Don't care who is on the list, just his performance.

BlackVelvet 6 years, 5 months ago

name one prosecutor in the history of douglas county that has made any of you happy.

been_there 6 years, 5 months ago

Personally don't know anything about any of the past ones so I can't answer that one. Do know a couple of people in the past that I felt needed to be sent away after they were arrested and they were, does that help?

whatupdown 6 years, 5 months ago

That office under him seems a mess, I was ordered to appear in the wrong case which screwed up three cases and they could have cared less. Nothing would surprise me from that office; like the old rumor that fingerprint evidence was with held in the Murry case.

been_there 6 years, 5 months ago

Was that the one with the professor from KState?

somebodynew 6 years, 5 months ago

whatupdown - "like the old rumor that fingerprint evidence was with held in the Murry case."I am confused- I followed that case pretty closely (I thought) and cannot remember any rumors about withheld fingerprint evidence. Not saying there wasn't those rumors, but can you refresh my memories ??