Archive for Wednesday, April 30, 2008

2 local students named National Merit Scholars

April 30, 2008

Veritas national merit scholar Michael Penny

Veritas national merit scholar Michael Penny

Cori Allen - National Merit Scholar

Cori Allen - National Merit Scholar

Two Lawrence high school seniors had put in years of study and practice for this moment.

And it paid off.

Cori Allen of Free State High School and Michael Penny of Veritas Christian School have been named National Merit Scholars.

"At that point I was proud to be touted among such a small number of students," Allen said.

Both Allen and Penny prepared by taking practice tests before the qualifying test, which they took when they were juniors.

"It's very prestigious," Penny said.

The National Merit Scholarship Corporation on Tuesday announced 2,500 winners nationally of the $2,500 scholarships. More winners will be announced in May and July; Lawrence had 20 finalists. Three students have won corporate scholarships.

Allen has attended Raintree Montessori School, Bishop Seabury Academy, Southwest Junior High School and Free State. Her parents are David and Lisa Allen.

"I've had several really incredible teachers who encouraged me to pursue things I'm really interested in," Allen said.

Allen plans to attend Babson College in Massachusetts to study entrepreneurship on a full-ride academic scholarship. She will miss her first day of classes there because she is a Kansas delegate to the Democratic National Convention in Denver in August.

Penny, the son of David and Carmiletta Penny, has attended Veritas his entire academic career.

"It's in some ways more like a family than a school," Penny said.

He took advantage of the small classes and independent studies in science and math for challenges. Penny will decide this week where he wants to study mechanical engineering - Texas A&M University or the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Comments

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

Andini (Anonymous) says: I hope that there will be a parade for these two. They deserve it.-----------------Only if they quickly join up with the Winning KU Debate Team!(see parade thread)Congrats to the children!

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

btw, just to clarify, penny isn't my brother as in same mother, I meant brother in the faith. ***entrepreneurs are big tax targets for the democrats. "raise taxes on the rich..."

ECM 5 years, 11 months ago

Congrats to both of you on this impressive achievement!

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 11 months ago

Gosh, what's more stomach churning, the astonishing display of political ignorance or the unprovoked personal attack on a high school senior?

jayhawklawrence 5 years, 11 months ago

Congratulations to these outstanding teens!Thanks Journal World for reporting this great story.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

wants to study entrepreneurship (sp?) and is a democrat? something missing in that equation. ***SRJ,www.recreate68.org is intending to indeed have 1968 style disturbances if Obama is not nominated, as it seems he won't be given the events of the last few days. I hope Cori will be safe.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

hearty congratulations michael (my brother) and cori! way to go, your hard work paid off. you are on a great start to your adult life. use it wisely. we want to see more great things happening in your lives.

Steve Jacob 5 years, 11 months ago

She gets to witness the riots in Denver this summer, sweet. Joking, kind of.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 11 months ago

"Texas A&M University or the Massachusetts Institute of Technology"If there are scholarships to each... I think I know what I'd choose...Of course, my greatest academic feat was guessing how many beans in the jar at the church fund-raiser, so maybe my opinion doesn't matter.

hawkergirl 5 years, 11 months ago

Veritas Rocks! I know Michael Penny and he is not only smart, but an excellent human being!Congrats to you both!

Andini 5 years, 11 months ago

I hope that there will be a parade for these two. They deserve it.

Confrontation 5 years, 11 months ago

Congrats to these incredible teens!