Archive for Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tyshawn Taylor commits to KU

April 29, 2008, 11:46 a.m. Updated April 29, 2008, 1:31 p.m.

Tyshawn Taylor, a 6-foot-3 senior point guard from St. Anthony HIgh School in Jersey City, N.J., today orally committed to Kansas University.

Taylor, who defines himself as a "winner," said he simply could not pass up the opportunity to play for coach Bill Self's Jayhawks, who earlier this month won the 2008 NCAA championship.

"I'm the only player who can say he's going from the high school national championship team to the college championship team. I think it's pretty cool I can say that," Taylor said Tuesday after orally committing to

KU over Georgia Tech.

Taylor, who led St. Anthony to a 32-0 record and USA Today's mythical national championship, recently was released from his letter-of-intent with Marquette

after coach Tom Crean bolted the Milwaukee school for Indiana.

"I'm really happy," said Taylor, who averaged 10 points and five assists a game in leading St. Anthony to the Jersey state title. "My visit to Kansas (last week) was incredible. The basketball atmosphere is crazy there. I come from a high school where basketball is everything. I'm going to a college where it's the same thing. I think that is what I need."

Taylor chose KU over runnerup Georgia Tech.

"Nothing against coach (Paul) Hewitt's program. They have a great team as well," Taylor said. "I just felt like Kansas was the right place for me. Coach (Bill) Self and all the coaches and the players made me feel comfortable. People there are still celebrating the championship. It's something I want to be part of.

"I think I can come in and compete for playing time," he added. "I would not have chosen Kansas if I didn't think I could play. But whatever school I chose, I'd

have to earn it."

St. Anthony coach Bob Hurley was thrilled for Taylor. "He just informed me he's ready to join the Jayhawks," Hurley said. "This is a very unusual situation. Here's a kid who played for the national championship team in high school going to the national champions in college. I know he's very excited and we're excited for him."

Taylor, who will sign a financial aid agreement upon arriving at KU (players can only once sign a letter of intent), said he'll be attending the first session of summer school.

----------11:46 a.m.----------

Taylor, who averaged 10 points and five assists a game in leading St. Anthony to the Jersey state title, chose KU over Georgia Tech.

Taylor visited KU last week after receiving a release from his Marquette letter of intent.

"He just informed me he's ready to join the Jayhawks," St. Anthony coach Bob Hurley said today. "This is a very unusual situation. Here's a kid who played for the national championship team in high school going to the national champions in college. I know he's very excited and we're excited for him."

This commitment bumps the 2008 KU class up to seven names, with as many as eight scholarships open, depending on what Mario Chalmers and Darrell Arthur decide in terms of the NBA Draft. Both have already entered their names into the draft pool, but neither has signed with an agent.

For more on this story as it develops, stay tuned to KUSports.com and pick up Wednesday's Journal-World.

2008 KU recruiting class

Tyshawn Taylor - 6-3, 160, G, Jersey City, N.J. (St. Anthony's HS)

Tyrone Appleton 6-3, 195, G, Gary, Ind. (Harmony Prep/Midland (Texas) College)

Mario Little 6-5, 210, G/F, Chicago, Ill. (Washington HS/Chipola (Fla.) CC)

Marcus Morris 6-8 1/2, 220, F, Philadelphia, Pa. (Prep Charter HS/APEX Academy (N.J.))

Markieff Morris 6-10, 230, F/C, Philadelphia, Pa. (Prep Charter HS/APEX Academy (N.J.))

Travis Releford 6-5, G/F, Roeland Park, Kan. (Roeland Park Miege HS)

Quintrell Thomas 6-8, 235, F, Elizabeth, N.J. (Saint Patrick HS)

Comments

newsreader 7 years, 3 months ago

Hmmm... Not to put down our Jayhawks, but he averaged 10 pts and 5 assists and he's joining our team??? Someone must know something about him that I dont.

Take_a_letter_Maria 7 years, 3 months ago

newsreader (Anonymous) says: Hmmm: Not to put down our Jayhawks, but he averaged 10 pts and 5 assists and he's joining our team??? Someone must know something about him that I dont.-----------------------------------------------------------------------Yeah, the #3 rated player in next year's class is a teammate.

Evan Ridenour 7 years, 3 months ago

Well for one he is a point guard. Now that has been stated.Rivals is showing he is the 11th rated PG in the class of 2008 and the 77th rated player overall of the class of 2008 (out of 150 ranked players).

ralphralph 7 years, 3 months ago

Can any of the guys fill a 'slasher' type role?I'm thinking of a Paul Pierce or Keith Langford type ... or think Corey Brewer on Florida's back-to-back champs ... a leaper who can explode to the bucket and make everyone else look like they magically got open?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 3 months ago

Hmmm. Coach must see something we don't see.

stuckinthemiddle 7 years, 3 months ago

he's alot like Russell Robinson, but further along in his develpment than Russell was coming out of high school... and more physical and athletic...

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

"Hmmm. Coach must see something we don't see."Could be because he's the coach and we're just posting on the ljworld.

newsreader 7 years, 3 months ago

well if his teammate is a #3 recruit in the country, could be another Aaron Miles / Michael Lee thing...

simplykristib 7 years, 3 months ago

He will play a position a whole lot like RussRob did at KU. He will be a point guard.

Nikki May 7 years, 3 months ago

And maybe he's a team player that can make plays happen. I see he only has 5 assists per game, but that could be deceiving. Who knows? I've never seen any of these highschoolers play.

Confrontation 7 years, 3 months ago

Most of our current KU players didn't average stats this year that were much better. It's called being part of a team, and not being a ball hog. There's more to someone's game than scoring a ton of points.

Take_a_letter_Maria 7 years, 3 months ago

ralphralph (Anonymous) says: Can any of the guys fill a 'slasher' type role?I'm thinking of a Paul Pierce or Keith Langford type : or think Corey Brewer on Florida's back-to-back champs : a leaper who can explode to the bucket and make everyone else look like they magically got open?-------------------------------------------------------------------------I'm not certain, but I'm thinking Markief and Releford are the two who have that style of game.

Write2Know 7 years, 3 months ago

I'm happy that Coach Self is getting the guys that he wants.I haven't seen a picture of Tyshawn yet, but at 6-3, 160 lbs, he has got to be stick.

d_prowess 7 years, 3 months ago

There is a lot of hieght coming in next year. The smallest guy is 6-3!

chapdaddy 7 years, 3 months ago

"Hmmm. Coach must see something we don't see."Yes, Self has no idea what he's talking about. Must be why OSU wanted to pay him millions, we just enhanced his contract, and, oh yeah, I believe he just won the national championship.Trust Self.

Take_a_letter_Maria 7 years, 3 months ago

packs_of_wild_dogzz (Anonymous) says: Morris twins are bigs, not slashers.------------------------------------------------------------------------I got the two mixed up, but here is what was just written about the twins today.Morris twins making strides: KU signees Markieff and Marcus Morris, 6-10 and 6-9, respectively, from Apex Academy in Pennsauken, N.J., made great strides during their one season of prep-school basketball, Apex vice president Rich Marcucci told Adam Zagoria of Zagsblog."The goal was to get him (Markieff) away from the basket and make him more of a shooting 'four' (power forward)," Marcucci said. "We prohibited him in many games from putting his back to the basket. We forced him to put the ball on the floor."Our role with Marcus was to get him on the perimeter and make him a swing player and handle the ball a lot."

Celeste Plitz 7 years, 3 months ago

LOL. Like I told my 7 year old son with 2:30 left in the Championship game, " Have faith, they're the Jayhawks". I think that applies here. Have faith in Bill Self! I think we have a great recruiting class coming in, I'm really excited for our future team. :)

packs_of_wild_dogzz 7 years, 3 months ago

Evan Ridenour 7 years, 3 months ago

"packs_of_wild_dogzz (Anonymous) says:North Carolina also offered this kid a scholarship. He's ranked 11th best point guard in the nation."I posted that earlier. The fact this kid is a point guard explains his statistics. The only explanation for most of the comments in this thread is that most of the Jay hawk "fans" on this board actually don't know anything about Basketball.

Nonsense 7 years, 3 months ago

Wow, this kid is good. I was afraid we were not going to have a good year next year with everyone leaving. I have hope!

Evan Ridenour 7 years, 3 months ago

an APG of 5 is really good... I don't know whether to laugh at you or pity your complete lack of basketball knowledge.

riverdrifter 7 years, 3 months ago

Eride is correct. If his APG translates to double that at the D-1 level, er, we'll take it!

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

"The only explanation for most of the comments in this thread is that most of the Jay hawk "fans" on this board actually don't know anything about Basketball."This has been established many, many times already.