Letters to the Editor

No-gas holiday

April 29, 2008

To the editor:

It would be nice, if for a day, perhaps two, to show the oil companies we don't appreciate being taken advantage of. Big oil is no doubt lobbying Congress to resist researching alternative fuels, because it would dig deep into their fuel-profit pockets. However, perhaps as a gesture of collective disappointment, we as a city could declare a holiday of sorts, a special nondriving holiday.

Government employees and medical personnel would be obligated to work, of course, but the rest of us would simply not go anywhere. Not to school, not to work. People could stock up for a day or two, buying what they need until they resumed two days later. Hassles? Yeah. But I'm willing to create hassles and get attention.

It would be interesting to see what reaction it generates. Lawrence is the home of the NCAA champions - why not be the home of fuel price changes?

Sally Finck,

Lawrence

Comments

LogicMan 7 years, 1 month ago

Won't happen or have any positive effect, sorry. Long-term conservation, developing other energy sources/uses (e.g., electric-only cars), and economic forces will change things. But maybe not for the better -- the 100-year era of cheap oil and ever-increasing abundance is likely over.

fu7il3 7 years, 1 month ago

Wouldn't change anything. Lawrence is a small fish in the ocean of fuel prices.

monkeyspunk 7 years, 1 month ago

Finding Uranus is expressing exactly what I and a coworker were talking about yesterday. One thing we also discussed is the fate of the "bedroom community" that exists in Lawrence and its effect on the local housing market. How many Topeka and KC workers are going to jump ship and move closer to work? How many are going to try and ride it out, assuming that there is an end to it.

Speakout 7 years, 1 month ago

Well, I hope you find it, Uranus. But if the oil sheiks are making all the money, then why do the oil companies say they are? Exxon had a profit of over $20 Billion and Shell and on and on. Why? Because the Saudis are getting it? No, because the oil companies have hoodwinked the American public into thinking that and so they grab the prize at the expense of the Middle East producers.It is time to have our Government, lead by an oil man, do something to stop the large profits made by the oil companies. Pure and simple.

coolmarv 7 years, 1 month ago

Sally's article is exactly why I post anonymously, here. I don't want people I know to know how dumb I really am when I have stupid things to say.Oil prices = basketball championship

Universe 7 years, 1 month ago

Government regulation is always the answer (yeah, ok)... I'm guessing most people complaining about these prices have also looked into the amount we're being 'taxed' per gallon? "Big oil" - I believe it was a politician who first coined that slogan.

wysiwyg69 7 years, 1 month ago

dig up alaska and to hell with the bears and damn tree huggers

avoice 7 years, 1 month ago

How about just everybody stay home during your summer vacation. Don't drive across the country (or even to Branson). Don't fly anywhere. Just vacation in your own backyard. Not too much of a sacrifice and what an impact that would make!

paavopetie 7 years, 1 month ago

Bike to Work week starts May 12th. That's something worth while.

adriennerm 7 years, 1 month ago

This letter sounds like those emails I get from friends and co-workers..they are always titled "don't get gas on Tuesdays" or "don't buy gas from shell"FYI- I hate those emails

OZinAK 7 years, 1 month ago

Dig up Alaska.....you must have visited us once or twice. Bring it on! More digging means a bigger permanent fund for us! Leave Alaska alone.

budwhysir 7 years, 1 month ago

I love how the idea is to do this for a couple of days and then "RESUME" purchasing things and going back to our normal ways. How would this hurt anything? They will still get your money, just have to wait a day.Realy want to see them squirm? Do what I have done, become self sufficient enought that you determin what you buy and when you buy it. If they feel like they arent getting thier share of your hard earned money they get mad quick.As far as gas prices, there isnt much that can be done but not complain about it, if they want to raise my gas to $10.00 a gallon Im probably not going to complain. I wont spend anymore of my money at the end of the month but I wont waste my breath complaining .How do you do it? Cut back and do this in ways that it is felt by others. Drive less, use less water, turn off lights, cut back on food. Doesnt seem like much but if you keep money out of the big guys pockets the ceo cant make billions of dollars a year. And they make those billions off of the dollars you and I throw away every day. They are just smart enough not to work for thier money

Rationalanimal 7 years, 1 month ago

Scrap the gas holiday, how about a holiday from politicians.