Archive for Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Douglas County district attorney to seek second term

April 29, 2008, 10:01 a.m. Updated April 29, 2008, 2:52 p.m.

Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson will seek a second term in office.

Branson made the the announcement on the steps of the law enforcement center with his wife and two children by his side, as well as about two dozen supporters.

"Four years ago the people of Douglas County elected me to do just that to do more for Douglas County. We have work to do," Branson said.

He also outlined his goals for a second term, including creation of a child advocacy center, forming a local crime victims compensation board, and continuing to work with people through the consumer protection division on dangers of scams and con-artists.

"We must continue to do what we started four years ago, and we must continue to make Douglas County safer, to make criminals pay for their crimes and to make this community a safe home for our families and children," Branson said.

Branson, a Democrat, was elected in 2004, defeating incumbent Republican Christine Kenney.

He has yet to file the official paperwork for office with the state.

Comments

nekansan 7 years, 2 months ago

One thing I'm not worried about is Phil Kline being elected to any office in Douglas County.

WHY 7 years, 2 months ago

Branson does as little work as possible and lets people plead next to nothing so that it looks like he gets convictions. Throw the loser out.

Nonsense 7 years, 2 months ago

Local statisticsKansas estimated 2007 population: 2,775,997.Kansas prison inmates as of Wednesday: 8,729.Douglas County 2006 population (latest available): 112,559.Douglas County Jail inmates as of Thursday (including those farmed out to other county jails): 149.Looks like the jail is fill to me!

Charles L Bloss Jr 7 years, 2 months ago

The only time I had contact with Mr. Branson's staff, I was most impressed. Good relationships with the public, start at the top. Thank you, Lynn

been_there 7 years, 2 months ago

I will be campaigning for the oppossition, any idea who it will be? Victims rights my eye (cleaned up version)

Jim Phillips 7 years, 2 months ago

One of the rare times I will ever agree with some of the posters here. We are not impressed. I'm sure he has a great following from all of the criminals who got a deal--probably get him re-elected.

Godot 7 years, 2 months ago

I attended a meeting where Branson was presented as the "expert" on elder abuse and identity theft. He lost all credibility when it became apparent that he did not even know the difference between Medicare and Medicaid. .

Nonsense 7 years, 2 months ago

GodotYou are a ill informed. Why would he care about the difference. I was also at that meeting. LAPA at the Mongolian BBQ. Funny, I remember you. There is no purpose in him knowing the difference. He was there to talk about scams on the elderly and how they fall for them. He has done more than you do trying to live off the elderly.

twaldaisy 7 years, 2 months ago

He should care because there is HUGE difference between the two insurance entities.

igby 7 years, 2 months ago

Will someone please run for DA. Someone who's not a Dem-idiot want-a-be. Will someone please run for Sheriff as well. These one ticket, one choice, elections have got to stop.