Letters to the Editor

Street cleanup

April 24, 2008

To the editor:

I also see tons of sand and tree leaves on our city streets but have yet to see any street cleaners. We have lived in Lawrence for over 20 years, and I have never seen our city streets in such a mess and city maintenance so poor. Sand on the city streets is not only a hazard to driving but very damaging to curbs, as can be seen as we drive around town. Calls to the city maintenance department indicate they start sweeping streets at one end of the city and move to the other end.

Where are they? I would think a better idea would be to start with our downtown area and major streets where our visitors come and then move out to the residential areas. Please take pride in how our city appears and get it cleaned up.

Don Roberts,
Lawrence

Comments

George_Braziller 7 years ago

I don't know where Don Roberts lives, but my street has been swept twice this year already.

cowboy 7 years ago

haven't seen the sweepers , still waiting for the snow plows !

Ragingbear 7 years ago

The city is waiting for a big lawsuit against them when somebody's scooter, bike, motorcycle or even car wipes out because they hit a sand drift (yes, I said drift).

budwhysir 7 years ago

Um yes, this is what I am worried about also. Although, with gas prices at 3.45 a gallon, I most generaly dont care if the out of town people care how our streets look. I also spend most of my time driving back roads and staying out of traffic. However, I am way to busy trying to keep afloat in the rough waters of the economy to care if there is sand on the street. I do see how slowing down would be a problem for most drivers. can you imagine that in the old days people drove on gravel roads? How unsafe was that?

alfie 7 years ago

I have not seen the street sweeper either, but I live on a hillside street, so with all the rains its all washing in to the city sewer, thus another huge problem later

budwhysir 7 years ago

Instead of looking for a street sweeper, why dont we all do our part and get a broom??????why wait for someone to complete a job we see needs to be done??? If you relied on someone to eat for you, I think you would be hungry for a while> If I get this right, many of you are mad because you dont see a street sweeper, and you are also mad because the sand is getting in the sewer system. Is there any chance you are the same people that where complaining cause there was snow and ice on the streets when you where driving this winer?HMMM fixing one problem creates another problem for alot of you,.

budwhysir 7 years ago

See, if I pinpoint the exact problem, it leads to silence in the complaint department. for those who live in glass houses should never throw rocks. And those who dont like sand on the streets should live in areas where there is no snow and every other car on the road is a street sweeper. And as a public service announcement, make sure you clear the snow from your sidewalk during the winter. Was this done in your west side neighborhood??????????

Bassetlover 7 years ago

But this is what I have never understood---why is the city using sand? And tons of it, at that. This past winter, I was in and out of at least a dozen different towns and cities....no sand in any of them!!! The amount of sand that was dumped in our culdesac this year was enough to build a beach. Yep, there were drifts too! No broom of any size could tackle that mess. I saw plenty of kids on bikes skid and fall. Surely there is a better way???

alfie 7 years ago

what happens with all that sand that goes down the city storm drains?

budwhysir 7 years ago

Yes there is a better way, stay home when the snow comes, then we can save money and not put sand on the street. Most of the time when I see kids "skid" on a bike, they intend to do so. Dont know how many times I fell and got hurt just being a kid. Live and learn.If the sand returns to the river, I think we are ok unless it is man made sand that could hurt the eco system of the river. Maybe change the course of the river and make it run thru downtown? Or uphill and across campus?

Buggie7 7 years ago

Budwhysir. You get your fanny out there and try sweeping some of the heaps of sand. My tax dollars go for streat maintenance and upkeep and they arent doing their jobs. People have jobs and families and yards of their own to up keep. They have 8 hours a day that they can get cleaning. Thats what they are paid to do so the question is is why arent they?I have no problem cleaning my walks and yard but the city street is not my responsibility to clean. They need to get off their butts that are driving around all day in city vehicles and get it done.

budwhysir 7 years ago

My fanny has already been out there cleaning. In fact Im glad you bring up this point. Already this year, I have cleaned about 4 inches of sand from the yard down by the curb. However, I was not able to call anyone to help me and I didnt put it there.I may also point out that if the street department is busy cleaning up the sand, they will need to use the same crew that is busy filling pot holes. O wait, I dont think they are doing this either. I should watch where I am going so I dont hit a pot hole or slide on the sand. Glad there is always something to complain about in this town

Ragingbear 7 years ago

It's interesting. Mention Lawsuit here, and there were 5 sweepers on Wakarusa around midday.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 7 years ago

My streets have been swept. Besides, the city has grown quite a bit in twenty years. Not to mention, this winter required a lot of sand. Makes sense that it is taking longer to get all the streets done.

Ragingbear 7 years ago

The reason we used alot of sand is because the city is clueless as to how sand and salt are supposed to work. First you plow, THEN you salt and sand. Most of the time they would salt and sand without plowing, or even better, they would salt and sand and have a plow behind the truck. Endlessly wasting your tax dollars because they can't figure out something that a 4 year old child could grasp.