Advertisement

Archive for Wednesday, April 16, 2008

People in the news

April 16, 2008

Advertisement

Motley Crue takes Crue Fest on road

Los Angeles - Motley Crue is hitting the road again - and they're bringing some friends along for the ride.

The heavy metal band announced the launch of the first-ever Crue Fest on Tuesday. The summer rock festival will feature the four original members of Motley Crue - singer Vince Neil, bassist Nikki Sixx, guitarist Mick Mars and drummer Tommy Lee - as well as Buckcherry, Papa Roach, Sixx:A.M. and Trapt.

"We've been wanting to do this forever," Lee told The Associated Press about the festival. "And we're finally doing it."

Produced by Live Nation, Crue Fest will kick off July 1 in West Palm Beach, Fla. The tour will stop in 41 U.S. and Canadian cities.

Known for their bad behavior and famous girlfriends just as much as they are for hits like "Girls, Girls, Girls" and "Dr. Feelgood," Motley Crue reunited in 2004 and previously toured with Aerosmith in 2006.

UK music festival defends rap headliner

London - Organizers of one of Britain's best-known music festivals on Tuesday defended their decision to book Jay-Z as their headline act after Oasis songwriter Noel Gallagher blamed the rapper for disappointing ticket sales.

The outdoor Glastonbury fest is a cornerstone of Britain's music calendar. But it has yet to sell out this year, in contrast to past years when tickets were snapped up within hours.

Gallagher, whose band headlined the festival in 1995 and 2004, said rap was to blame.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it," Gallagher said in an interview, an audio of which was posted to the British Broadcasting Corp.'s Web site Monday. "If you break it, people ain't gonna go. I'm sorry, but Jay-Z? ... No chance."

He explained that the inclusion of a hip-hop act went against the festival's tradition of guitar music, adding: "I'm not having hip-hop at Glastonbury. No way. No. It's wrong."

Glastonbury Festival co-organizer Emily Eavis said the 38-year-old festival had a long history of attracting rap acts, including Cypress Hill and the Roots.

Colbert turns tables on Larry King

Philadelphia - Who knew that Pennsylvania could be so funny? Comedy Central's Stephen Colbert is broadcasting from Philadelphia this week, which got him a spot on CNN's Larry King Live on Monday night.

The idea was for King to interview Colbert. But at times, it seemed the other way around. The comedy host shot provocative questions at the CNN host (topics ranging from politics to polygamy)

"I'm against polygamy," Colbert declared. "I have one wife, and I can barely handle that. Now, Larry, you've had a few wives. Wouldn't it have saved you some time if you just had them all at the same time?"

King seemed a little rattled. "Probably true. Probably, you've got a point, Stephen."

Colbert replied: "A stupid one, but a point."

Cosby goes hip-hop on upcoming album

Los Angeles - Bill Cosby's path has taken him from pudding pops to hip hop.

The 70-year-old has recorded a hip-hop album set for release next month. "Cosby Narratives Vol. 1: State of Emergency" blends the comedian's concepts and stories with a hip-hop, pop and jazz soundtrack.

"I do not rap on any of these things," Cosby told The Associated Press. "I wouldn't know how to fix my mouth to say some of the words."

Cosby said the hip-hop music he hears is profane and degrading. His album is "the opposite of what I think is the profanity for no particular reason, the misogyny for no particular reason," he said. "It really looks at the frustration and the anger that a young man may have."

The album contains rhymes provided by guest rappers. The subject matter? "The value of an education. The value of respecting one's self and ... giving (listeners) a chance to raise their self-esteem and confidence," Cosby said.

Former nanny for Lowe claims abuse

Los Angeles - One of three former employees being sued by Rob Lowe says the actor sexually abused her for years but she continued to work for him and his wife because she loved their two boys and needed the job.

In legal papers filed in Santa Barbara, Jessica Gibson says Lowe touched her inappropriately several times between September 2005 and January 2008.

Gibson worked for Rob and Sheryl Lowe on and off for seven years before quitting on Feb. 24.

"I always thought it would be different when I went back, but it was not," Gibson said in the suit. "I stayed as long as I did because of the children and because I needed a job."

Last week, Lowe sued three former employees, including Gibson. He said she demanded $1.5 million to remain silent about the abuse allegation, which his attorney dismissed as "outrageous" and "untrue." In that suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, Lowe also accused another nanny of spreading lies about him.

Lowe's lawyer, Larry Stein, said Gibson never gave any indication she had a problem with Lowe during all the years she worked for him.

"She left at least two times, to pursue other jobs, and returned each time asking for more hours," Stein said. "She sent two e-mails the day after she left, both saying she loved the Lowes and her leaving had nothing to do with them but her heart wasn't into being a nanny anymore."

Comments

BrianR 6 years, 8 months ago

Well Jay Z, I reckon you've got 100 problems now.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.