Archive for Saturday, April 12, 2008

Man killed in car wreck after reported rampage

April 12, 2008

A 45-year-old Shawnee man died this afternoon after his truck rolled over in De Soto.

About 12:45 p.m. the Johnson County Sheriff's Office responded to a call about the man destroying the DeSoto Laundromat in the 32500 block of Lexington Avenue. Master Deputy Tom Erickson said the man was ramming his truck into the building repeatedly.

Deputies found the man at Gardner Road going east on 83rd Street yelling out the window of his truck and swerving into oncoming traffic. He continued on 83rd Street for a short distance where he rolled his truck at 83rd Street and Cedar Creek.

Erickson said he was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the truck. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Investigators found alcohol at the scene of the accident.

No other injuries were reported.

The sheriff's office believes customers were in the laundromat during the initial incident, but left before investigators arrived. The sheriff's office is requesting anyone who was at the scene or witnessed the incident to call 913-782-0720.

The name of the man is being withheld until family has been notified.

Comments

Rabbitgoesthump 6 years ago

my washer broke so I spent a week doing laundry at a mat (before i could buy a new washer) have you ever sat at a laundry mat, sometimes I want to take my car and run over the people in there to...

justfornow 6 years ago

I'm sure it will all come out in the wash. If this stupid a$$ would have killed someone I would not post this crap.

I_Bejewel 6 years ago

I almost feel sick right now. I passed that man on 83rd street this afternoon. It was a blue pick-up truck, heading towards KC (I was headed towards Lawrence). He started to swerve into my lane then corrected. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw him continue to swerve into oncoming traffic. Not long after that, a sherrif was flying down the road with his sirens blaring. I just knew it had to be because of that truck.Now I feel very shaken because shortly before encountering that truck, I had pulled off the road for an oncoming funeral procession. Had I been at a different place in time......I just don't want to think about it.

RomanNose 6 years ago

I'm just shocked that nobody is placing any blame on the laundromat. Clearly it was in his way.

justfornow 6 years ago

ljreaders 6:36 post is the funnest I have ever seen. What ever the circumstances behind this load of crap ,The dirty laundry will come out in the end.

Pywacket 6 years ago

ljreader, that was so wrong.... and so funny!!!

packs_of_wild_dogzz 6 years ago

Yeah, who says he wasn't in his right mind. I've known several individuals who've rammed their car repeatedly into an occupied building, raced down the street screaming out the window and swerving at oncoming traffic, and finally going out in a blaze of glory as the vehicle rolls and they fly out the window to their death. What's the big deal people?

Multidisciplinary 6 years ago

Yeah, sometimes when one feels tortured, no hope, all others don't count because of the injustice.

Steve Jacob 6 years ago

I am just glad he did not hurt anyone else.

Multidisciplinary 6 years ago

Who says he wasn't in his right mind?Sometimes, perfectly sound people just bear so much, and they have no one to talk to. They do other things to get by, be silent, regress, drink, all trying to cope in a world where people don't recognize someone's need to be "befriended". Sometimes people get to talk, but they have too much inside to share.Things they've never shared before.The listeners, while well meaning, can't share that much time in the day. It's not their fault.?!?. They are busy.They don't know that N-O-W is the time so just listen. Maybe that will help. Giving time.The person in trouble comes away from that 2 hr phone call, feeling terrible and guilty for needing to share their life's problems. They may open up to others in need, only to feel bad about being in need of someone to "hear". The imposition.They feel alone, desperate, no hope, and then guilty for taking another's time.Sometimes, one is so up against the wall, that they have to defend themselves from being bashed up against it.By fighting back.Self defense, in it's simplest, purest form.Telling the whole world, "Stop killing me!".

ljreader 6 years ago

WOW- Rammed his car into a laundramat. He must've been agitated. No matter how you spin it, something about this doesn't wash. Had he made it, they woulda taken him to the cleaners for that. Soaked him for every dime he had. Hung him out to dry. RIP, mad guy.

Pywacket 6 years ago

Monkey~ Perhaps those commenting would be more compassionate if this guy hadn't apparently done his damnedest to TAKE OTHERS OUT WITH HIM.I can't really blame people for letting off steam about someone who not only rammed an occupied building, but also was seen swerving into oncoming traffic. To extrapolate from your own logic, how would you feel if your "mom, father, son, daughter, or sibling" had been killed by this knucklehead? It's just lucky no innocent lives were lost by one out-of-control individual (who may also have been drunk, according to the article). Let people blow off steam a little.

bearded_gnome 6 years ago

it may be found that this man had been on psychotropic meds, maybe combined with alcohol? very sad. I'm just relieved to see that apparently no one else was harmed. the article doesn't say how much damage was done to the laundymat. clearly this poor man wasn't in his right mind. it is my impression that in the past ten years or perhaps fifteen, that psychotropic meds have been marketed without proper testing for such serious effects as psychotic breaks, sudden rage, etc. however, if he combined it with alcohol, all bets are off. this man probably had a family, people who cared about him. it is very hard when your loved one is on one of these meds and they go through the negative effects. very hard.

renegade 6 years ago

Lighten up Monkeys, if one of my parents or syblings did something stupid like that, I would expect for people to make fun of them. The important matter here is no inocent people were injured or killedbecause of ones mental instilbility.

mom_of_three 6 years ago

wereallmonkeys,you assume their family members would be in the paper when they die.Yes, their humor is in bad taste to some, but....it is a forum for reader comments....if you don't like it, don't read it....

faceit 6 years ago

Those spin cycles can be dangerous

John Spencer 6 years ago

Someone died and you're making jokes.....Lame. I kinda wish I knew you so when your Mom, Father, son, daughter or sibling died so I could make light of their death in some "funny" way.

conservativepunker 6 years ago

Well, when the machine eats yer quarters.....

toe 6 years ago

I guess he was trying to Shout out the stains.

iplaysupernintendo 6 years ago

Wow, I hope the people who were doing their laundry are ok.