Archive for Saturday, April 12, 2008

Man killed in car wreck after reported rampage

April 12, 2008

A 45-year-old Shawnee man died this afternoon after his truck rolled over in De Soto.

About 12:45 p.m. the Johnson County Sheriff's Office responded to a call about the man destroying the DeSoto Laundromat in the 32500 block of Lexington Avenue. Master Deputy Tom Erickson said the man was ramming his truck into the building repeatedly.

Deputies found the man at Gardner Road going east on 83rd Street yelling out the window of his truck and swerving into oncoming traffic. He continued on 83rd Street for a short distance where he rolled his truck at 83rd Street and Cedar Creek.

Erickson said he was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the truck. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Investigators found alcohol at the scene of the accident.

No other injuries were reported.

The sheriff's office believes customers were in the laundromat during the initial incident, but left before investigators arrived. The sheriff's office is requesting anyone who was at the scene or witnessed the incident to call 913-782-0720.

The name of the man is being withheld until family has been notified.

Comments

iplaysupernintendo 6 years, 8 months ago

Wow, I hope the people who were doing their laundry are ok.

conservativepunker 6 years, 8 months ago

Well, when the machine eats yer quarters.....

John Spencer 6 years, 8 months ago

Someone died and you're making jokes.....Lame. I kinda wish I knew you so when your Mom, Father, son, daughter or sibling died so I could make light of their death in some "funny" way.

mom_of_three 6 years, 8 months ago

wereallmonkeys,you assume their family members would be in the paper when they die.Yes, their humor is in bad taste to some, but....it is a forum for reader comments....if you don't like it, don't read it....

renegade 6 years, 8 months ago

Lighten up Monkeys, if one of my parents or syblings did something stupid like that, I would expect for people to make fun of them. The important matter here is no inocent people were injured or killedbecause of ones mental instilbility.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 8 months ago

it may be found that this man had been on psychotropic meds, maybe combined with alcohol? very sad. I'm just relieved to see that apparently no one else was harmed. the article doesn't say how much damage was done to the laundymat. clearly this poor man wasn't in his right mind. it is my impression that in the past ten years or perhaps fifteen, that psychotropic meds have been marketed without proper testing for such serious effects as psychotic breaks, sudden rage, etc. however, if he combined it with alcohol, all bets are off. this man probably had a family, people who cared about him. it is very hard when your loved one is on one of these meds and they go through the negative effects. very hard.

Steve Jacob 6 years, 8 months ago

I am just glad he did not hurt anyone else.

packs_of_wild_dogzz 6 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, who says he wasn't in his right mind. I've known several individuals who've rammed their car repeatedly into an occupied building, raced down the street screaming out the window and swerving at oncoming traffic, and finally going out in a blaze of glory as the vehicle rolls and they fly out the window to their death. What's the big deal people?

RomanNose 6 years, 8 months ago

I'm just shocked that nobody is placing any blame on the laundromat. Clearly it was in his way.

I_Bejewel 6 years, 8 months ago

I almost feel sick right now. I passed that man on 83rd street this afternoon. It was a blue pick-up truck, heading towards KC (I was headed towards Lawrence). He started to swerve into my lane then corrected. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw him continue to swerve into oncoming traffic. Not long after that, a sherrif was flying down the road with his sirens blaring. I just knew it had to be because of that truck.Now I feel very shaken because shortly before encountering that truck, I had pulled off the road for an oncoming funeral procession. Had I been at a different place in time......I just don't want to think about it.

Rabbitgoesthump 6 years, 8 months ago

my washer broke so I spent a week doing laundry at a mat (before i could buy a new washer) have you ever sat at a laundry mat, sometimes I want to take my car and run over the people in there to...