Advertisement

Archive for Saturday, April 12, 2008

Father of boy involved in alleged Riverton plot seeks $750K

April 12, 2008

Advertisement

— The father of a southeast Kansas teenager charged in an alleged shooting plot at Riverton High School told the school board that he won't sue the district if it gives him $750,000.

Wesley Jaeger on Thursday night presented the Riverton Board of Education with a letter saying that his son's rights were violated when school officials allowed police to take the boy out of class for questioning without his parents' knowledge or consent. He also said his son's locker was searched and the contents were given to police without a warrant.

His then-15-year-old son, Andrew, was one of five students charged in the alleged school shooting plot in April 2006. The boy, who is now 17, pleaded no contest to misdemeanor disorderly conduct.

Board members declined to accept Wesley Jaeger's letter and refused his request that they sign a document acknowledging they had received it.

"On advice of our counsel, we're not going to sign anything," said board President Jack Garner.

Jaeger then read the letter to the board, saying he and his wife want compensation for civil-rights violations, loss of scholarship opportunities and the cost of private schooling. He told the board it has 90 days to respond.

"An apology would have gone a long way," Jaeger told board members, who took no action Thursday.

On Monday, Jaeger went to the Cherokee County Commission seeking $250,000 to avoid a lawsuit. The commissioners referred the matter to their attorney.

Five students were arrested on April 20, 2006 - the seventh anniversary of the Columbine High School massacre in Colorado - after a message about an alleged plot to attack Riverton High School appeared on the social networking Web site Myspace.com.

All five teenagers were initially charged with felonies by the Kansas attorney general's office.

The charges were later reduced to misdemeanors, and the case was turned over to the county attorney.

James Tillman and Robby Hunt pleaded guilty to misdemeanor conspiracy to riot, while Calen Byrd and Andrew Jaeger pleaded no contest to misdemeanor disorderly conduct.

The four were sentenced to a year of probation. A judge found Coy New not guilty of misdemeanor charges of conspiracy to riot and disorderly conduct.

Comments

justthefacts 6 years, 8 months ago

OH good grief. Another person who thinks they'll retire on the litigation lottery. He'd have a lot better case if his son had been found not guilty of any wrong doing. The fact that a lawyer did not make this demand on their behalf speaks volumes. It is usually not that hard to find some attorney willing to make demands of this type - if there is a .0001% chance of getting any $$ out of it.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 8 months ago

He also said his son's locker was searched and the contents were given to police without a warrant.Lockers are considered property of the school, not of the students assigned to it. It sounds like the acorn didn't fall too far from the tree.

deskboy04 6 years, 8 months ago

Is there $750,000 in all of Riverton?

notajayhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Is this nutjob a distant (or not too distant) relative of Matthew's?

camper 6 years, 8 months ago

I wonder what teachers think of this? My mom worked for a school district for about 15-years. She had to deal with a lot of parents who would come in and claim that their kids were in fact angels and could do no wrong.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 8 months ago

Can you say "deflection"?"No, this is not about my parenting or my child, it's about police proceedures!"I think dad is missing the "big picture": it seems that your boy was going to KILL some people. If he had, guess who'd be getting sued for more than $750K. Take a guess.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.