Archive for Friday, April 11, 2008

Victory parade route extended

April 11, 2008

The route for Sunday's parade of champions for the Kansas Jayhawks has been extended beyond downtown.

The parade, as originally scheduled, will start at 3 p.m. at Seventh and Massachusetts streets, and move south on Massachusetts toward South Park.

But instead of stopping there, the parade crew of KU players, coaches, support staffers and members of the pep band and Spirit Squad will continue down Massachusetts to 19th Street.

From there they'll turn and head west, toward 19th and Naismith Drive.

Sgt. Paul Fellers, a Lawrence police spokesman, said the parade route was extended after discussions with officials from Kansas Athletics Inc.

"Hopefully, everybody will have a good view of the parade," Fellers said.

Free parking will be allowed in all municipal lots downtown, Fellers said. The lot south of the Judicial and Law Enforcement Center, 111 E. 11th, also will be open, now that the parade route has been extended.

But parking will be prohibited along both sides of Massachusetts between 11th to 15th streets, and then on the west side of Massachusetts from 15th to 19th streets, Fellers said. The parade will occupy the entire width of Massachusetts until reaching 15th, when it will switch to stay in southbound lanes.

Comments

gphawk89 6 years, 8 months ago

"The parade will not completely close 19th Street, he said, because the parade will occupy only the westbound lanes."Come on, close the entire street for the sake of safety! If everyone knows that the eastbound lanes are open, there will probably be massive attempted "drive-by viewing" of the parade. Imagine an eastbound driver rubbernecking and drifting a couple of feet into the westbound lanes...

Godfather94 6 years, 8 months ago

gphawk89......those were my thoughts too, after I read the article. Somebody needs to contact Lew Perkins. Safety has to be a priority.

TriSigmaKS 6 years, 8 months ago

We're not in the 'slums' TRUST me. YAY For the parade going close enough by my home!

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 6 years, 8 months ago

I love how some people think that Lew is in charge of parade route planning, parade safety and street repair. If people are going to cry about the parade route and the potholes on 15th, please just cancel it.

nobody1793 6 years, 8 months ago

"If they had it down Wakarusa, people would still complain."Yeah, like the stupid Free State homecoming parade that backs up traffic for blocks in the middle of a busy friday afternoon...

swhite 6 years, 8 months ago

Why does everyone have to complain about stupid little things. The homecoming parades for both high schools have been an on going tradition. If you don't like the streets, don't drive!!! Be happy with today!!! Be happy we even get to enjoy a parade. If you don't want to celebrate and could care less about the Jayhawks. Stay home. Be thankful we are given today, we are not promised tomorrow.

acg 6 years, 8 months ago

Wow, it kills me how hard some of you are to please. I think if you didn't have a reason to pss and moan, you'd pss and moan because of a lack of reason. Freakin' whiners.

swhite 6 years, 8 months ago

Hopefully there won't be that many people driving on the street anyway. We will all be celebrating. I think for safety reasons they should close 19th. This is just going to cause safety issues if they leave it open. This is going to be a huge event, I know of many, many people who are coming from out of town even out of state. I know my entire family is looking forward to the celebration.Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!

Drew_Carey 6 years, 8 months ago

100 pts and solid 10's across the judge's scoreboard to acg for the running pike off the highboard right into the whiner's pool!When he realizes what he's done, someone hand him a towel and a beer.

Kat Christian 6 years, 8 months ago

I agree acg. Whiners! Is anybody happy about this? I am. I think its' AWESOME! Rock Chalk Jayhawks KU

trinity 6 years, 8 months ago

ditto sunshine noise-that acg's got it goin' on! :)

freak2304 6 years, 8 months ago

SWEET! Since I live down by 19th and Naismith I can just walk around the corner to see it. Well done, WELL DONE!!!