Letters to the Editor

Missile boondoggle

April 8, 2008

To the editor:

President Bush is proposing that the American taxpayer build a permanent missile site in eastern Europe to protect Europe from Iran. I don't know how many billions of dollars it will cost to install and maintain this latest boondoggle, but I do believe in my heart of hearts that his military industrial handlers will get one of his famous no-bid contracts and we, the people paying the bill, will stand around with our fingers up our noses wondering how he did it again.

Is it possible that we could stand up and say no? Is it possible that we simple people who still believe that our Constitution is something other than a piece of paper could write our congresspersons and tell them to stop this embarrassing joke? If the people in Europe want a missile defense let them pay for it, but the fact is our president had to talk them into letting us pay for it. I'm beginning to feel like I am in the midst of the Mad Hatter's Tea Party.

E. Kent Hayes,

Lawrence

Comments

OZinAK 6 years, 8 months ago

I'm with you 50year...it's a big mess to clean up!

LogicMan 6 years, 8 months ago

"in eastern Europe to protect Europe from Iran"Not the whole story, no matter what they say. Is also to defend against future rouge elements in Russia, etc., and for knocking down missiles headed over here too. It's much easier to hit the rockets in their lift stages than later during reentry. And more fallout would be over there than here.Other than antagonizing Russia and its few remaining allies, seems like an excellent idea. Hopefully Russia, with time, will return to its European way of good behavior where us and many others will once again be its good friends and allies. Our policy on Kosovo is delaying that eventuality badly.

BrianR 6 years, 8 months ago

Red_Peters (right_thinker) says: A liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."What tired nonsense. Please think of something new.

50YearResident 6 years, 8 months ago

Yeah right Red, blame it on the new guys. The mess from the last 7 years is now coming to light and you are blaming the Democrats. Red you have been stroking it too long.

JHOK32 6 years, 8 months ago

Just one more "stroke" from Bush before he leaves......yeah, that's what we need to spend... more billions on more nuclear missiles. No money for poor kid's health insurance, medicare, or "social security" or veterans with no legs, but billions more for more missiles. I can't believe there are still people in this country that are so stupid! Open your eyes! Does anyone really still believe this baloney that we need more missiles? If there ever is a nuclear war we'll all be history. The world has enough nuclear missiles to blow ourselves up many times over. The only people that need more billions for more missiles are the massive "defense" contractors who put Bush in office (along with the Big oil companies). They've both had their investments returned a thousand fold.....and the reds are still swallowing this crap & still watching our kids being killed and maimed. Bush is nothing but a spoiled rich kid, born with a silver spoon, never worked an honest day in his entire life, daddy & friends bought him the whitehouse. With all his concern about fighting terrorism I don't see HIS kids over there on the front lines. He makes me puke everytime I hear more of his lies. He'll have to answer to killing all the thousands of people he's killed someday, so that his billionaire friends can be even richer than they already are.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 8 months ago

Yep, it is a waste. I seriously doubt Bush would be offering our money to pay for it if he didn't think we were somehow to benefit. And I think it probably has more to do with Russia than Europe and Iran. Every improvement to the shield requires an improvement to the sword.But if you listen to Red_Peter, you'll see that the letter isn't actually about a missle defence facility, it is about how the Democratic Congress has somehow taken responsibility for all of Bush's incompetence. Er, wait, that actually doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with the letter.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 8 months ago

Maybe I should restate part of my post: Bush wouldn't offer our money to pay for it if he didn't think his friends could somehow benefit.

JHOK32 6 years, 8 months ago

Redwood Coast: You confused me at first, but your second post makes perfect sense. Do you agree that the world has enough nuclear missiles to destroy ourselves many times over? I'm not trying to be a smart___, but I think the U.S. alone can destroy mankind in it's entirety by itself. Then let's add Russia's massive nuclear arsenal, Israel, France, Pakistan, etc. Do not forget there are not only thousands of missile silo's, we also have Stealth nuclear bombers, hundreds of nuclear submarines patrolling under the sea as we speak just waiting for the order to launch. Russia and France also have their subs at sea as we speak, who knows what other countries? So I ask once again, why do we need to spend billions more for more missiles while some of our fellow Americans live in horrible poverty conditions? And who is getting those Billions of dollars? It is elementary.

pisafromthewest 6 years, 8 months ago

JHOK32 (Anonymous) says: "I can't believe there are still people in this country that are so stupid! "Your post makes it pretty obvious that stupid people abound.For a start, genius, the defensive anti-ballistic missiles don't have nuclear warheads."I'm not trying to be a smart___, ..."Whatever the blank represents, I can assure you that you succeeded in avoiding it. You might want to actually learn something about the subject you're ranting about before hitting the keyboard.

JHOK32 6 years, 8 months ago

pisafromthewest: So how are we going to defend ourselves from all the nuclear submarines capable of launching multiple nuclear missiles from hidden locations under the many oceans all over the world? I suppose you & Bush are going to spend Trillions of dollars building islands all over the oceans in which to accomplish this? Brilliant!