Archive for Tuesday, April 8, 2008

KU won’t commit to downtown parade for National Champions

April 8, 2008

It doesn't look like a parade will be part of Kansas University's National Championship celebration.

Jim Marchiony, assistant athletic director for KU, said the athletic department had no plans for the basketball team to take part in a parade down Massachusetts Street, which was a crescendo to the celebration in 1988 when the Jayhawks last won the crown.

Instead - as previously reported - the team will be honored at a 3 p.m. celebration today at Memorial Stadium. Gates open at 1:30 p.m.

"That is all we have planned," Marchiony said this morning.

Leaders with Downtown Lawrence Inc. and the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce said the public is clamoring for a parade.

"The phone has pretty much been ringing off the hook asking about one," said Becca Booth, chamber communications director.

Jane Pennington, director of Downtown Lawrence Inc., said her organization was willing to take full responsibility for planning and promoting the event, and made that offer to the Kansas University Athletic Department two weeks ago.

"We have asked and there has been no response," Pennington said. "We invited them to do a parade after the Orange Bowl as well, and they declined. We're kind of at our wits end."

Booth said the Chamber also was interested in helping with a parade, and had made phone calls to KU Athletics officials following Monday evening's game.

"We're going to celebrate the way we want to celebrate," Marchiony said. "We're going to do what's best for our student athletes."

When asked whether there were logistical reasons or other student-athlete concerns that made a parade difficult for the team to participate in, Marchiony declined to discuss it anymore.

Pennington said her group was pushing for a parade because it would carry on a tradition and would draw folks to the symbolic center of the city for a family-friendly celebration.

She also said she had proposed to Marchiony that a parade could include the football team to celebrate its historic Orange Bowl victory.

"We could easily get 40,000 people downtown for a parade," Pennington said.

Comments

toughangel41 6 years, 8 months ago

I WANT A PARADE!!!! GO KUUU!!! (you think they heard me?)

Phillbert 6 years, 8 months ago

Well it took all of 10 hours for the LJW to start taking potshots at KU again...

Mkh 6 years, 8 months ago

What? No parade?

Is KU serious?

This makes no sense.

lovenhaight 6 years, 8 months ago

I seriously want a parade. It makes no sense not to have one!

Linda Aikins 6 years, 8 months ago

Ridiculous. Give us and the players our parade!!!! And celebrate football and basketball at the same time.

What's up with that??? Not enough money???

EasilyAmused 6 years, 8 months ago

Apparently the poeple are calling the wrong place. They should stop calling the Chamber and start calling the athletics department....

jbackroads 6 years, 8 months ago

Send an email to the Athletic Department. Couldn't hurt.

mistygreen 6 years, 8 months ago

So pogo, please tell us what you have done to make the world a better place?

naturalist 6 years, 8 months ago

We want a parade, for football and basketball, and it ain't over until the fat lady sings at the end. Period.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

having trouble with web site ljworld so short and to the point they are not pot shots when they say we will do what we want no matter what the town and fans want or say. hope this goes this time.

Phillbert 6 years, 8 months ago

I think the fact that the LJW has now changed its headline to "KU won't commit to downtown parade for National Champions" shows that their "no parade" shot was inaccurate.

Jeremi Lewis 6 years, 8 months ago

I think it's great that Roy showed his support for his old team. That's good sportsmanship just like the humble jayhawks have shown all season but I doubt he would have the cajones to show up at the parade, Memphis might need him to help mourn.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

well I give up this site does not like me today. only posting 1 in 20 posts.

true_patriot 6 years, 8 months ago

Hey, email James Marchiony, jmarch@ku.edu and politely ask them to consider a parade for the sake of tradition and to cement the fan base and city euphoria even more strongly.

LogicMan 6 years, 8 months ago

How 'bout on Jayhawk Boulevard instead? Good for recruiting ...

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

that should read as wacked and brothers in arms.

Deb Stavin 6 years, 8 months ago

The Athletic Department will allow a downtown parade, but only Williams Fund donors will be allowed to get close enough to see it. T

SpeedRacer 6 years, 8 months ago

Hey, you could always meet the bus at the toll booth and give them a spontaneous parade.

kusp8 6 years, 8 months ago

websupport@girlsgonewild.com

p>websupport@girlsgonewild.com>

Deb Stavin 6 years, 8 months ago

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

is any one else having trouble with the ljworld site today? still want a parade.

Nett 6 years, 8 months ago

No Parade lets send the Perkins family back to Connecticut Huskies and hire someone with KU traditions

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

is any one else having problems on here today tech problems that is?

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

hello ljworld why don't you like me today? so sad... I want a parade dang it.

Joel Hood 6 years, 8 months ago

The answer is easy - How would KU Athletics Inc. make one dime off a parade? There would be "unrecoverable" administrative costs to help coordinate an event like this with the Chamber. Am I wrong here???

World_Vision 6 years, 8 months ago

Screw KU, lets have a parade with or without them!

pusscanthropus 6 years, 8 months ago

They won't commit the team to an activity that does not have a direct monetary benefit to KUAC. And who's liable if a player got hurt during this community event?

pusscanthropus 6 years, 8 months ago

They won't commit to an activity that does not have a direct monetary benefit to KUAC. Plus, who's liable if one of the players got hurt attending a community celebration? You may be for KU--but KUAC's not for you, community member!

Deb Stavin 6 years, 8 months ago

The Athletic Department will eventually have a downtown parade, but only Williams Fund donors will be allowed to get close enough to see it.

kamr 6 years, 8 months ago

A parade would be a great way to give back to the community that supports KU and their Athletics Department.
It would be a shame to miss such a wonderful opportunity!

akuna 6 years, 8 months ago

Come on Jim and Lew, give us a parade.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

I am so glad I am not you. I at least know how to live.

ToriFreak13 6 years, 8 months ago

Hey email Marchiony and politely ask him to find a new home town!

ToriFreak13 6 years, 8 months ago

Hey, email James Marchiony, jmarch@ku.edu and politely ask him to find a new home town.

oxandale 6 years, 8 months ago

Ok, so what if KU doesnt want a parade. It isnt up to them. All there needs to be is a few willing and brave souls to organize and plan it. Susan (Oxandale) Turrentine

4thgencowgirl 6 years, 8 months ago

No Parade! How Come? What's wrong with this picture??? Two championships in 1 year!!! This is great for Kansas!!!

swhite 6 years, 8 months ago

What is the problem with the blogs?? Half of them aren't even posted. I say have a parade without the athletic department. We should all get to celebrate with the team.

acoupstick 6 years, 8 months ago

Perhaps they are waiting to see what happens with Self and OSU??

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

do not care about all the political stuff should not play into doing what is right by the team and it's fan base which is lawrence and surronding area not just ku and alum.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 8 months ago

Hmmm. This is odd. Why wouldn't they just "show up" for a parade that someone else is willing to plan?

Just show up, ride 4 blocks in a convertable and go home.

thinkagain 6 years, 8 months ago

Some of the posts on the parade seem to be turning up in other articles.

World_Vision 6 years, 8 months ago

They can't have a parade, such a late announcement wouldn't give Phelps a chance to organize a picket against it.

Dale Stringer 6 years, 8 months ago

I bet if T Boone Pickens wants a parade OSU would make sure it would happen.

workinghard 6 years, 8 months ago

Maybe this means he is thinking of leaving and doesn't care about showing Lawrence some appreciation.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

thanks for the heads up swhite turned it on, unless the hurry not going to make it by three.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

my hubby and one kid on there way up the hill imagine they will be walking a mile but as long as they have fun.

EasilyAmused 6 years, 8 months ago

somebody needs to organize the fans to start chanting "parade" at the return home rally

commonsense 6 years, 8 months ago

Who do we contact at KU to show our dissatisfaction with this decision?

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

really they should all start stomping there feet and yelling, if they have voices left after last night,we want a parade.

kusp8 6 years, 8 months ago

Remember, send Jim an email jmarch@ku.edu. He loooves to hear from you;)

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

told my hubby to start stomping and yelling we want a parade. maybe it will work.

Tamaralaug 6 years, 8 months ago

Everyone please send an email to everone that is listed in these posts. If enough people email them, maybe we will get our parade. Tell everyone that you know! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!

lounger 6 years, 8 months ago

Its been 20 years- Throw them a damn parade!!! In heavy times we need light moments!!!

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

well we need to fill memorial stadium hurry up all that can get there.

Aileen Dingus 6 years, 8 months ago

Sorry momma- I'm at work and my kids are at school.

Now... if it was a PARADE we'd be there. ;)

I already sent an email.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

smae can't be there but hubby made it bummer for me.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

we want a parade, we want a parade we want a parade..... stomping feet holding breath turning purple.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 8 months ago

Aqib Talib dropped from NFL draft? I know it isn't related to the parade, but I found it worrisome:

Crossfire 6 years, 8 months ago

Skip the Parade

Toga party... T0Ga! T0Ga!! T0Ga!!!

vkansasgirl 6 years, 8 months ago

Ask the players if they want a parade. The fans want a parade and if you ask the players I bet they do also. Give the fans a chance to celebrate the victories with the players. The players and fans deserve a celebration.

OnlyTheOne 6 years, 8 months ago

They don't want a parade 'cause Bill is Boltin'!

sweettrue2 6 years, 8 months ago

Okay, KU says "no parade"? I say the city should have a combo parade-Orange Bowl/ NCAA Championship!

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

woke up was hoping for good news but no still the same. Have thae parade already do it on sunday best day in the forcast this weekend do it around 1 or 2. church will not be interfered. Just do it

N8iveSooner 6 years, 8 months ago

What "pot shots" are being taken? Why doesn't the athletic dept want to celebrate their student athletes??

timbercreeks 6 years, 8 months ago

It's pretty easy to figure out! If KU doesn't benefit financially then they want nothing to do with it, who cares if it benefits Lawrence and the fans!!

manus_flexibilis 6 years, 8 months ago

lew-siffer and bob gotta rub their ball a$$ heads together and realize that the city inside the city is going gotham! I take it jim is the penguin;>0 Oh wait the light in the sky is only coming from Micky D'z, sorry bill!

Phillbert 6 years, 8 months ago

Show me where in the article it says that KU opposed to having a parade."But Marchiony said KU leaders had not discussed a parade, and he was reluctant to do so today."It does not say "no parade" - it says they hadn't discussed it yet and that he was reluctant to do so today, probably because they're still trying to get the team back from San Antonio.The pot shot is the LJW twisting that into "KU says no parade".

booklover 6 years, 8 months ago

Man! How cruel is that? We want a parade! We NEED a parade! If it's a greed thing, I'm sure we can think of something to sell so KU can make some money. If it's a safety thing... We'll be good, I "Promise". Pleeeeeeeeze let us have our parade. Think of the players. Think of the coaches. Think of the fans. Think of the people of Lawrence. Think of the KIDS! Don't cheat these players and coaches and the fans of all that love. Pleeeeeeeeze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandra Willis 6 years, 8 months ago

We watched the game last night, my husband and I and a friend of ours.It was amazing to see - The city celebrated until after 2 a.m.We could hear the fans yelling downtown from our front yard.It was a good thing. We also watched our local news team in Lawrence downtown.

Sandra Willis 6 years, 8 months ago

We watched the game last night, my husband, myself, and a friend of ours.It was amazing to see - The city celebrated until after 2 a.m.We could hear the fans yelling downtown from our front yard.It was a good thing. We also watched our local news team in Lawrence downtown.

true_patriot 6 years, 8 months ago

The parade in 1988 was a fantastic crowning of the whole experience of winning the national championship. Everyone recalls it fondly. I told several young kids last night about the parade that would happen in the next couple days, and they were ecstatic about it.I have a hard time believing the powers that be at KU could be so incredibly out of touch with what it means to a fan base and the city to experience a national championship for the first time in twenty years. Are they not taking their Zanex or what?

JHawker 6 years, 8 months ago

what about all the people that have to work during the day and cannot celebrate at memorial and the elementary/high schoolers? i mean, even Hemenway said KU employees still need to work! Give Us Our Deserved Parade - the team would love it and the public would love it, KU doesn't even need to do anything but show up!?! PLEASE??? Come on Marchiony..

cdmrw08 6 years, 8 months ago

This is total crap! Those boys worked their tails off and they deserve a parade more than anything. The community wants to honor them for the awesome job they did and not everybody is able to go out today to celebrate. The kids will want a parade! Please KU!!!!! Have a parade!!!!! Its been 20 years!!!!!! Go Hawks!!!! Chalmers is the man!!!!!!!!!!

Confrontation 6 years, 8 months ago

Logan72: I'm not sorry that my posting name makes you nervous. However, I don't like when people try to stir up things based on partial information.

lovinlife 6 years, 8 months ago

There has to be a parade, do it on Saturday when families can enjoy it together. I still very fondly recall being 6 years old on my dad's shoulders watching Danny ride by on the back of a convertible. I want my kids to have the same experience. Someone needs to appeal to Mr Manning, he would encourage a parade ! I agree, maybe the public should address the athletics dept with our begging !!

ksgal1971 6 years, 8 months ago

This is unbelievable. What is wrong the the KU Athletics Department? Lawrence wants to honor their hard-working football and basketball student athletes. We are proud of them. What's wrong with that? I would guess that not many grade school, junior high and high school students will be able to attend the welcome home celebration at the stadium this afternoon. They need a chance to honor the teams, as well as the people who have to work today (KU employees included). Seeing championship teams in a parade makes a lasting impression on a child. They are the future KU supporters! I attended the 1988 parade and it was definitely a highlight of my high school days. I agree with an earlier comment that the Athletics Department needs to be inundated with calls and e-mails stating that we want a parade!!!

unger15 6 years, 8 months ago

I think LJW is telling it like it is. Downtown Lawrence Inc. and the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce apparently have been showing a lot of interest in making this happen and have offered to do a lot to organize. This should make the decision for the KU Athletics Department a lot easier.A lack of response is still a response. Until they say "yes" on a parade... the answer is a resounding "no." This is also evidenced by the previous attempts at an Orange Bowl parade.This would be a great opportunity to celebrate both victories, and I think the Athletic Department should give the city and KU fans what they deserve for sticking by their teams despite all the politics and shiftiness that goes along with big athletic programs. Or at least re-evaluate the student section at Allen Fieldhouse... but the right way this time.

denhean 6 years, 8 months ago

I sent an e-mail telling Jim Marchiony that he wasn't doing a good job by making alums and Kansas fansangry by NOT having a parade. Here is his e-mail and phone jmarch@ku.edu and 785-864-3359.This statement is what made me soooo angry.....We're going to celebrate the way we want to celebrate," Yeah, well everyone that I have talked to wants a parade just like we had in 88!

mmiller 6 years, 8 months ago

This is nuts. These guys won the national title and the KU athltetic dept. is not interested in a parade??!! A parade to help promote, honor and celebrate this outstanding team!!! Someone at KU needs to address this ASAP. Shame on you Jim Marchiony!!! What a sour attitude.

flamingoroad 6 years, 8 months ago

Lawrence wants a parade!! Let Lawrence celebrate the successes of the football and basketball teams! Not everyone is able to go today to Memorial stadium. Have the parade on a Saturday and you know thousands of people will be there. It was done 20 years ago, why not now! You would think KU would want to do this for Lawrence, especially since the Chamber of Commerce is graciously offering to help out. Come on -- give the city their parade!

swhite 6 years, 8 months ago

Did anyone see that attendance was down at the elementary/secondary schools? That's why they need to have a parade. I remember the 88 win, I was a junior in high school. My oldest is a senior this year and I would love for her to see all the excitement. Pleaseee have a parade? On the weekend so all of the Jayhawk supporters can attend.

Tony Kisner 6 years, 8 months ago

The Chiefs have worked out a deal where KU will have a parade around Arrowhead. KUAC is guaranteed a $$$ payday, the Chiefs are to receive all parking and beer sales and broadcast rights. And half of the lap dance revenue performed the the KU cheer squad.

Jayhawk_N_Denver 6 years, 8 months ago

One of my fondest memories was seeing the parade 20 years ago. I was only 7 but remember that day so vividly. I can't believe they haven't arranged for one. I hope to hear that they are able to set up a parade within the next day or so. Go Hawks!

jp59 6 years, 8 months ago

Marchiony says "we want to do what's best for our student athletes." BS. How about asking the student athletes if they want to be in a parade? I'll bet the answer would be a resounding yes. Also, what about the rest of us in Lawrence, alumni and non-alumni who have supported the university all these years???? Everybody needs to flood KU with comments about doing a parade until they change their mind.

avoice 6 years, 8 months ago

Last I heard, KU was a public university. That means that every taxpayer in the state of Kansas has a right to help celebrate the victories of our teams. So trot out the football and basketball teams, KU, and let the public commemorate the good fortune!

flamingoroad 6 years, 8 months ago

KU should let Lawrence have a parade. Have it on a Saturday and there will be thousands of people come. Have both the football and basketball teams in the parade to celebrate their successes. The Chamber of Commerce has graciously offered repeatedly to help. Let them. Let Lawrence have their parade. It was done 20 years ago. Let's do it again. Come on -- give us our parade!!

kansasplains 6 years, 8 months ago

This attitude by the KU Athletics department is typical of much of what the university does. They do not take into mind the considerations of their larger audience, or the town of Lawrence. I personally think that there should be a change of a chancellor, and many other officers of the university, so that the town would be much better reflected in their decision making in many ways. No parade is typical of KU's, and especially James Marchiony's, point of view. At a time when the entire town should be celebrating, instead look what we have at the highest levels.

wereinthistogether 6 years, 8 months ago

The celebration this afternoon seems like it is more for the University students. If it were for everyone, it would be at a better time for kids who are in school, parents who are at work, etc. There should be a parade for ALL fans who supported them! How sad for the kids if there isn't one! Come on KU!

kamr 6 years, 8 months ago

I can't imagine the players not wanting to be celebrated as heros in a parade! Our children should have an opportunity to experience such an event. Whatever happened to the good 'ol American way of celebrating our national heros? Only administrative arrogance could interfere like this. I pray they change their mind!

Alia Ahmed 6 years, 8 months ago

Maybe the Athletic Department is waiting to see what Bill Self is going to do. The KC Star today quotes Self as saying if OSU calls, he'll talk to them. Of course, they could schedule the parade at any rate, no matter what Bill Self's decision is. The players and fans deserve a celebration no matter what.

swhite 6 years, 8 months ago

Channels 8 and 13 are at Forbes. The team just arrived there. We need a parade here in town. There are so many supporters who can't get to the celebration. I know that Freestate and LHS have a swim meet that starts at 3:30 and I'm sure many of them would like to celebrate. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 8 months ago

Perhaps they are waiting to see what happens with Self and OSU??==========Bingo. Imagine what will happen when Self accepts Oklahoma's current offer of a $3million salary and $6million signing bonus. He'll be sitting on the back of a convertible getting booed all the way down Mass Street. Somebody may even throw a rotten tomato at him. That's bad publicity for Lawrence and KU. That is the reason there is no final word on a parade yet. Waiting on Self's decision.

lily 6 years, 8 months ago

Marchiony said they had no plans for one so that sounds like no. I think they are really doing a diservice to the community to not have a parade for 2 championship teams. The city is proud so why not give us a chance to gloat. On campus, down Mass St. wherever. I agree a Saturday would be good to give most everyone an opportunity. It's very sad if they won't entertain the idea and make it happen. All they gotta do is show up. All the other work would be done for them.

swhite 6 years, 8 months ago

mommaeffortx2- i'm sure they will have a great time.My husband took our 17 yr old downtown last night and they said it was crazy. I was a junior at LHS when we won in 88 and it's awesome my oldest gets to see what it was like. hopefully they'll have a parade b/c we all had to go to school and work and a swim meet a freestate. we still love our JAYHAWKS!!

blindrabbit 6 years, 8 months ago

Just more evidence of a long term diminishment of good will between KU and Lawrence ( we need another Chancelor Murphy). Why would you expect better with a less than unimpressive Chancelor, a money hungry Athletic Department, a ineffictive City Government, and a flaky Chamber. All of this needs attention; the answers are there if anyone is willing to try to patch-up these relationships.

imagold 6 years, 8 months ago

You have got to be kidding me! No parade...a celebration on a workday...KU campus staff had to keep offices at least minimally staffed so not every one could attend (where's the Chancellor? Manning the office so those that didn't get to go to the tournament can attend the victory rally?)... All the money these fans pump into their athletic department , the time they give cheering on their team, the money they spent going to games and tournaments and Lew and Jim, et al can't dish out time and money for one parade in 20 years? Pathetic. Just pathetic. Way to rain on our parade.

lilgray 6 years, 8 months ago

Not sure KCMO would support a Parade since it's not KANSAS, but I bet someone in Overland Park would be willing to put something together!!! I think sending some requests to the City Manager might spur something!!!!citymanager@opkansas.org... comments to Govenor Sebelius as well, she was at the tournament & a big supporter!!! Maybe her office will get someone to do something!www.governor.ks.gov/comments/comment.htm

Confrontation 6 years, 8 months ago

Logan72 (Alia Ahmed) says: "Maybe the Athletic Department is waiting to see what Bill Self is going to do. The KC Star today quotes Self as saying if OSU calls, he'll talk to them."Maybe you should stop posting partial quotes. He said he wouldn't refuse to answer the phone, considering he knows them and wouldn't want to be rude. Give us a parade!!!

Richard Heckler 6 years, 8 months ago

KU would not need to spend money for a parade. They just need to notify LPD and get on with it. A few convertibles for the athletes is all that would be necessary. Crown Toyota might just come up with a few.The fans would take care of the rest. KU fans know how to celebrate( NO MORE CAR STOMPING YOU FEW BAD BOYS and/or girls). I say send Lew Perkins back to Connecticut. He's a deadbeat and bad for local business. Maybe it's also the Chancellor? No doubt Mario and Kahn would be overcome with hugs...life could worse.

dog_owner 6 years, 8 months ago

We want a parade! Both teams deserve it. I was at the last one as a 12 year old and I would love for my son to get to experience it as well. Once every 20 years isn't so much to ask! And yeah, it sucks to do the stadium event today only as some of us work and school is in session for everyone but college kids.

bretherite 6 years, 8 months ago

We were planning on driving back to Kansas for the parade. Guess I will be saving money on gas and souvieners, food, hotel, etc. It would be an economic boom. We had 3 families ready to caravan. I know otherse from out of town/state would show up. I have written several emails. Surprise surprise I have not heard anything back.

Tamaralaug 6 years, 8 months ago

Please visit:http://kuathletics.cstv.com/feedback/kan:and leave feedback (Select "General Athletic Department Feedback"), telling them you want a parade.This works! I got an email back from the University saying that my email is being passed on. Don't know if it will help but it can't hurt.

Tammy Copp-Barta 6 years, 8 months ago

Wish there was a way that we could all get everyone to boycott buying tickets and attending athletic events at KU. Oh wait!! Those that have supported them through thick and thin had our tickets taken away cause we were "poor folks". Maybe when they stop having support they'll get their head on straight. The thought of no parade is ridiculous. It's time to get rid of people in charge at KU - beginning with the Chancellor! Let's bring tradition and pride back to KU!!

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 8 months ago

Maybe when they stop having support they'll get their head on straight. =========No offense, but I laughed out loud when I read that. We won the Orange Bowl and the basketball championship this year. Now go ahead and tell people to stop supporting the Jayhawks and see how that works out.

Tamaralaug 6 years, 8 months ago

We might try emailing the CEO/President of the Chamber of Commerce about having a parade. It might help, you never know.Lavern D. SquierPresident & CEO 785-865-4422 lsquier@lawrencechamber.com

Tammy Copp-Barta 6 years, 8 months ago

Haiku_Cuckoo .. I know what you mean .. but it's a shame that they always forget the fans that cheer them along the way (not the boys on the team - the administration). :(

CTucker78 6 years, 8 months ago

I am in Arkansas, formerly from Lawrence and my children and I were looking forward to coming up to Lawrence for the parade. I am disappointed. I wish KU would consider having one.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

pogo please stop go to another blog anywhere but here please.

walleye9898 6 years, 8 months ago

Do you guys really think that an Asst. Director is going to make a decision or comment about having a parade or not.Now that Bill, Lou & Bob are back in town and the initial welcome/celebration has happened, perhaps something can be proposed and discussed.

Celeste Plitz 6 years, 8 months ago

A parade for the basketball AND football teams isn't that much to ask for. I remember attending the 88 parade as a teen, and boy was it awesome! Taking the parade away from the fans is just mean. There should have been a parade for the Orange Bowl Champs as well-so this is the perfect time to make it up to them!

skinny 6 years, 8 months ago

I think we can thank our downtown merchants for crying about KU moving the Missouri game to Arrow head. So now KU will not commit to a parade. This is funny!

cowboy 6 years, 8 months ago

Marchiony should be fired if nothing else for being a major public relations nightmare for KU. How frigging hard is it to have the student athletes participate in a parade as they are the heart and soul of this city. Get you some "swagger" Lou and send this Frank Burns wannabe packing.

bug167 6 years, 8 months ago

Does the KUAC not realize that KU is located in Lawrence, Kansas? Seriously, would it kill them to give us a friggin' parade so we could congratulate the student athletes and coaches of both the basketball AND football teams? This is the page that lists all of the KUAC personnel, their e-mail addresses and their phone numbers: http://kuathletics.cstv.com/staffdir/kan-staffdir.html. Be polite (otherwise they'll use it as an excuse not to have a parade because of "security issues.")Give us our parade! Give the teamS and coaches the parade they deserve! Stop acting like every friggin' thing is about the almighty dollar! Don't force us to sit outside your office and quietly stare you down until we get our parade. The power of the fans will prevail!!!!

Alia Ahmed 6 years, 8 months ago

Confrontation says....Maybe you should stop posting partial quotes. He said he wouldn't refuse to answer the phone, considering he knows them and wouldn't want to be rude.Give us a parade!!!Confrontation, I realize you chose your screen name because it fits you well, but I didn't post a partial quote, I posted a headline from the KC Star and identified that is where it came from. Headlines are necessarily very brief due to space constraints, but it seems to sum up what I heard Bill Self say on ESPN radio this morning. I am not attacking him in any manner, I think he is being prudent to check out his options, use the OSU offer as a bargaining chip and not make false, emotional promises he might later regret. That would be deja vu for KU fans and I think he doesn't want that to occur. He seems like he is too classy of a guy to do that. I hope and believe he will stay, but the reality is the offer from OSU is out there. Maybe that has nothing to do with KU's reluctance to commit to a parade. I was speculating and trying to think of a reason KU administrators are being noncomittal at this point about a parade.

greenworld 6 years, 8 months ago

Give this guy a chance to think about it and I am sure he can work something out. I believe he has the ability to make something happen but dont beg him to do it or be all negative about him or he wont. Also dont kiss his ass. Anyway anyone that can make something happen like today must be a hero or something. There will be a parade. I will talk to Lew and go around Jim and see what I can do. Just remember sweet Lew can make anything happen.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

pogo why? just let us be, we are entitled to a day without a reminder that the rest of the country/world is so messed up. we want to forget the bad for just one or two days. The people in this town are entitled to fun we are well aware of the bad without your constant rants, we do have brains and the last time I check your where not my mother, father, my God or Jimminy cricket.

Sigmund 6 years, 8 months ago

"We want," "we need," "we deserve," "our team." "we're entitled!" It is called the University of KANSAS and not the University of Lawrence for a reason. Remember when the Kansas Legislature suggested the City pick up additional support for maintenance? Even the tax and spend "do it for the kids" Lawrence liberals were screaming foul!http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/apr/05/neufeld_city_benefits_ku_and_should_pay_repairs/Neufeld: City benefits from KU and should pay for repairsSo if the University of KANSAS wishes to celebrate the historic success of the University of Kansas Men's Basketball team at Memorial Stadium on the University of KANSAS campus and chooses not to bend to the will of the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce and Downtown Lawrence Merchants and not draw a huge crowd and their wallets to their businesses, I completely understand.I couldn't take off to show the players, coaches, and staff just how much I appreciate all they have overcome and accomplished. You guys are totally amazing. Easily the best team, best coaches, best season in Kansas Basketball history culminating by winning the best championship game in NCAA history! But there is always next year!!!!Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Go KU!!!!!

workinghard 6 years, 8 months ago

Maybe the city should charge KU for all the outside police help and clean-up of the town after the 3 celebrations the KU students had at our expense. You don't think that was all volunteer labor do you? Most of the celebraters were students. Is that what they meant when they said they would celebrate the way they want to. Maybe that would change their mind.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

Well the way I see it we do supoort them, we send our children to KU we buy tickets to games some even buy tickets to away games, bowl games, finalfour games and championship games. We also pour our hearts in the teams and cheer for them and cry for them so yes we do pay for KU and their sports in many ways. So I say yes we deserve a parade and yes we are allowed to forget the horrors of the world even if for a little while give the town and people their chance to say thankyou and congrates guys.

Sigmund 6 years, 8 months ago

Pogo, while we celebrating KU's success, tell us what you were doing to end world hunger? As for Bill Self ...."Self plans a big ASSIST Foundation fundraiser the weekend of Late Night in the Phog, Oct. 12-13. A year ago, 10 fans pledged $10,000 apiece for the right to shadow Self from Friday through Sunday of Late Night weekend.""Details are getting worked out now," Self said. "It should be a fun weekend. Last year's was a huge success. Everybody enjoyed it. Hopefully, we'll get 10 or 15 people who want to be around the basketball program, take part in it.""Self's desire is to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for organizations such as Boys and Girls Club, Salvation Army, Parks and Recreation, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, the school system and children's cancer research, as well as any other areas in which youths are served."http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/aug/28/going_once_going_twice/So pogo, please tell us what you have done to make the world a better place?

Erky 6 years, 8 months ago

I wonder if Lew is trying to figure out who has enough points to attend a parade. Perhaps they will have it around the track in Memorial Stadium so that they can charge admission.If they don't have a parade, my opinion of our Athletic Department will do a quick 180.

kusp8 6 years, 8 months ago

Here are Jim's e-mail and phone number jmarch@ku.edu and 785-864-3359. Feel free to e-mail him, and call him with your complaints. Let him know we deserve a parade!

spenmar 6 years, 8 months ago

The Reason KU ATHLETICS WONT ALLOW A PARADE IS THAT LEW PERKINS CANNOT MAKE ANY MONEY WITH A PARADE. They are going to deny all the little kids a parade to celebrate the National Championship. They cannot sell tickets, they cannot control the venue so they are not going to allow the parade. The city and merchants will pay for everything. Lew is all about $$$$$$$.....so if he cant make a dime on the event, there will be no event. Wake up and smell the coffee!!

spenmar 6 years, 8 months ago

This has NOTHING to do with Bill Self. This is about cash. Lew Perkins cannot make any money with a parade. It shows they dont give a blank about the city and the people who have supported the program since long before they came to town. No money for athletic department, no parade. Its that simple.

Sigmund 6 years, 8 months ago

No, this is about drawing another big crowd and their wallets to downtown Lawrence one last time so the merchants can make even more money off of someone else's hard work and success. Buy a vowel and get a clue.By the way, for those that want to donate to Bill Self's ASSISTS Foundation and show your appreciation (and lift help lift Pogo out of his funk) you can get more information and/or participate and/or donate here.http://www.basketballboogie.org/

riverdrifter 6 years, 8 months ago

So, do the parade without them. It's for US, the fans, so if Lew wants no part of it, fine. Do the parade, invite both FB & BB players and just do it with whomever shows up. Party on, Dudes. I really think this is much ado about not much. There will be a parade and the Sandbar will have the best float. Bet on both just like I bet a grand on the 'Hawks being a 3.5 dog to Roy's Boys. Easy Money.

RLride 6 years, 8 months ago

A parade would be awesome, I hope this happens. I have pictures of myself at the '88 parade--although at less than 3 years old at the time I don't remember much!

lawrencechick 6 years, 8 months ago

Come on KU! It's been a dreary winter and spring with a dismal economy. This has been a bright light for our city and we want to celebrate. Sorry, the Memorial Stadium thing didn't cut it. This is a no brainer Lew!!

bug167 6 years, 8 months ago

Pogo: What's your problem? Are you so pathetic that you can't allow other people to have a happy time celebrating a great team's victory? Wow, you are sad! We all know what's going on out there in the big, bad, ugly world. We know and I'm sure we all do as much as we each can to alleviate as many problems as we can. We recycle, we donate our time and money to various charities, services and needs.But, right now, we'd like to celebrate the KU men's basketball team's phenomenal national championship win! So, step off and go troll somewhere else for a while why don't ya? Yeesh.

riverdrifter 6 years, 8 months ago

bretherite:That's about the size of it. Seed money sez there's a parade.

bretherite 6 years, 8 months ago

Thought:Chamber of Commerce tell KU there will be a parade in honor of the football and basketball team at a certain date and time. Lew and company will look pretty bad(as if they didn't already) if they got get their heads where they belongs and go along with what the fans want. I don't think that would make good national media press that KU wouldn't allow their athletes, band etc to participate in a parade in their honor.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

can't remeber the last time a heard a person 40+ say wacked. And really no idea about the actual # of soldiers that have fallen today but in comaprasion it is less than the # of people that have died in car accidents today. Both terrible in their own right yes, but these do not take away from the fact that this is about Ku and the people of lawrence wanting this parade and not wanting to read your ranting about how bad the world is. so get over yourself go to a diffrent thread one that is about your topic and leave us poor pathtic parade wanting people alone.Oh yeah also been around a few war zones myself, never have heard a vet calling the death of a fellow soldier a wacked did you forget your respect for brother in arms?

kusp8 6 years, 8 months ago

it gets the same results as e-mail Jim Marchiony...however, if you aren't as cynical as I am, you can still try to e-mail him at jmarch@ku.edu

Sigmund 6 years, 8 months ago

Pogo, so this is about your class envy, your jealousy of others successes, and your own self righteousness? I thought it was about helping others? Bill Self obviously does that, whatever your view of his motivations, and because of his professional and personal success I suspect to a much larger extent than you possibly could or can. By excelling at what he does and helping others to achieve their own personal and professional successes he is also passing those values onto others, his positive impact is magnified. While I applaud your efforts as well, we all can't be the self absorbed judgmental jerk you are. But by earning a living, paying our taxes, working hard to support ourselves and our families we hope not to be a added burden to society, then we give what we can. Bill Self's appeal to our more charitable sides to help others less fortunate is lots more likely to succeed than your attempted guilt trip.For those that want to donate to Bill Self's Assists Foundation to show your appreciation for this years team (and help to lift Pogo out of his funk) you can get more information and/or participate and/or donate here.http://www.basketballboogie.org/

Sigmund 6 years, 8 months ago

Forgot, pogo please free to link to a charity you would like the KU fans to support, after you finish calling us all shallow, of course.....

davidsmom 6 years, 8 months ago

I've been having trouble with the LJWorld for several days shutting down on IE, but when I open it on Firefox it stays up just fine.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

I had problems earlier today also but I email ljworld and then the problem went away so I would say it was on their end or heck could be the weather I blame most things on the ks weather.

Sigmund 6 years, 8 months ago

They already had a celebration attended by 25,000 KU fans. They replayed the game and the crowd heard from Coach Self and most every member of the team. It didn't cost the fans a dime and although The Sandbar, Red Lion, and Buffalo Wild Wings didn't make an additional dime everyone else, both fans and players, enjoyed themselves. If you missed it you can even watch a replay! http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/apr..."Welcome back, champs!: 25,000 fans rejoice with No. 1 team"Sorry, but it isn't Kansas Universities job to hold additional events to help insure the success of Sue Hack's Lawrence Chamber of Commerce or Downtown Merchants.

JerryJack 6 years, 8 months ago

They'd do it if they could sell tickets...they don't want the merchants to profit off KU sports without being able to take a cut themselves.But that's what helps pay for us to try to keep a coach like Self, I guess

KUGreenMachine 6 years, 8 months ago

There better be a parade! Why not this weekend...Saturday morning? School isn't in session on Saturdays.......

Alia Ahmed 6 years, 8 months ago

Confrontation:Your screen name doesn't make me nervous. I seems to be an appropriate name for you. I was not "stirring" any pot, I was pointing out that perhaps KU's unwillingness to commit to a parade was based on some rationale, just not to irritate an old curmugdeon.

kusp8 6 years, 8 months ago

Marion most of the time your opinions don't really make sense to most of us. Butttt, this is the one time where I completely agree with you. I won't say 'spam away' because I don't like spam, but I will say 'send em hell', fire up that server of yours and start sending!

notajayhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

I was just wondering why this thread has gone on so long, after they did, in fact, commit to the parade.