Archive for Monday, April 7, 2008

KU cancels classes Tuesday to celebrate victory

April 7, 2008, 11:06 p.m. Updated April 8, 2008, 12:12 a.m.

2008 NCAA Tournament

2008 NCAA Tournament

Get your March Madness fix at KUSports.com.

NCAA Championship Game

No classes will be held at Kansas University's Lawrence campus Tuesday in recognition of the Jayhawks' victory tonight in the NCAA national championship game, Chancellor Robert Hemenway has announced.

The team will be welcomed back to Lawrence at approximately 3 p.m. Tuesday for a celebration at Kivisto Field at Memorial Stadium, rain or shine. Gates will open at 1:30 p.m. Shuttle buses will begin running from the Park and Ride lot off of Clinton Parkway starting at 12:30 p.m. Parking lots and garage will be open to public parking.

A U.S. Army UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter may fly over Memorial Stadium as part of the celebration.

Faculty are encouraged to communicate with their students about ongoing class projects and assignments. The last time classes were canceled for a nonweather event was April 5, 1988, the day after KU won the NCAA men's basketball championship game. A celebration at Memorial Stadium that day drew more than 30,000 people.

Though classes are canceled, university offices will be open and employees are expected to report to work as usual. The unions will be open for regular business operations.

"This is a proud moment for Jayhawks everywhere," Hemenway said. "Not only has the team dazzled the nation on the court, but our fans have demonstrated through their safe but boisterous celebrations and support that KU is truly a great place to be. Now the nation has been reminded that KU is the home of champions in academics, teaching and research as well as basketball."

Comments

JHawker 7 years, 3 months ago

I LOVE THE JAYHAWKS!!!!!!!!! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!!!!!

Strontius 7 years, 3 months ago

KU canceling classes for a basketball victory only proves how screwed up priorities are at the university.What a sad reality where we celebrate putting a ball through a hoop while much of the world burns. Shameful.

Dixie Jones 7 years, 3 months ago

oh strontius poor thing your team didnt win now your all sad about it and think you need to talk dirt,,,,, know what ,,, KU fans could careless what you have to say about your burning world and how sad reality is,,,,,ROCK CHALK JAYHAWKS.......awesome job ....Oh and strontius theres always next year.....

Gareth Skarka 7 years, 3 months ago

"Though classes are canceled, university offices will be open and employees are expected to report to work as usual. "Nice, Hemenway. Class act as always.

jayhawks71 7 years, 3 months ago

let the employees at least have a half day! Work cancelled at noon, I decree! C'mon Bob, let my people go to the celebration. Half day for everyone!

toughangel41 7 years, 3 months ago

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK KU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOT!!! GO KU!!!!

Mzz Meehwitdatmess 7 years, 3 months ago

I AGREE LET THE EMPLOYEES HAVE HALF A DAY OFF. HAVE A HEART

admireed 7 years, 3 months ago

employees get time off? dock their pay..taxpayers want them working

SpeedRacer 7 years, 3 months ago

I wish USD497 would cancel. I have a wired 10 year old on my hands.

Motivation 7 years, 3 months ago

It's a good thing the celebration tomorrow isn't starting till 3 pm!! Have you seen the webcam?? Mass Street is off the hook!! CONGRATULATIONS JAYHAWKS!! I wonder what is going through Danny Manning's mind?

Jessica Hull 7 years, 3 months ago

I'm with you SpeedRacer. A wired 8 and 6 year old are no good for school tomorrow. I'm sure we're not the only ones! Rock Chalk......I still can't believe it!! Alumni of 15 years.

Douglas Yetman 7 years, 3 months ago

and to Roy....I say...ALL IS FORGIVEN!!!!! This moment is as it was meant to be!