Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

Police stay busy on game night

Victoria Adams, of Shawnee, cheers for the Jayhawks Saturday night at Allen Fieldhouse. Kansas University men's basketball team defeated North Carolina 84-66.

April 6, 2008

2008 NCAA Tournament

2008 NCAA Tournament

Get your March Madness fix at KUSports.com.

The crowd of thousands that gathered in downtown Lawrence Saturday night to celebrate Kansas University's victory was mostly well-behaved, police said.

"They're celebrating a win and they're celebrating in a fashion I think is respectful to everybody who is a Jayhawk," police spokesman Sgt. Paul Fellers said.

There were some problems. At least two people were arrested, including one for battery on a police officer. It was unclear late Saturday what caused the second arrest.

Police received reports of a few fights and injuries, but no major incidents, Fellers said. When they could, officers confiscated beer cans and bottles from people and poured them out.

"I think you are going to have a few things like that when you get that number of people together," he said.

There were no serious problems on the KU campus or at Allen Fieldhouse, where fans gathered to watch the game on the video screen, KU police Capt. Schuyler Bailey said.

"They drove down the boulevard and then left," he said of campus activity after the game.

About 200 officers were on duty in Lawrence during the game and for a few hours after, Fellers said.

Other departments sending officers to assist included the Douglas County and Franklin County sheriff's offices, the Kansas Highway Patrol, and police from Olathe, Overland Park, Ottawa and KU. Several city and county departments also assisted, Fellers said.

Earlier in the evening police searched for a man with a gun who was involved in a domestic disturbance in the 600 block of Schwarz Road. The man fired one shot into the air before fleeing on foot.

Officers searched nearby neighborhoods for about two hours but did not find the suspect. They were assisted by a helicopter from the Topeka Police Department.

Comments

hedgehog007 6 years, 8 months ago

Just because there were only 2 arrests doesn't mean that the police weren't "busy".

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 6 years, 8 months ago

From Websters (that's a dictionary by the way): Busy, adjective. That which busies one, or that which engages the time, attention, or labor of any one, as his principal concern or interest, whether for a longer or shorter time; constant employment; regular occupation; as, the business of life; business before pleasure.

booze_buds_03 6 years, 8 months ago

Maybe next time you will learn that you shouldn't drive through 20 thousand drunk fans celebrating a victory.

Bobbi Reid 6 years, 8 months ago

Downtown was crazy... We took our kids down there and all was well until some idiot decided to walk on my car and another jumped on the van in front of us and was playing with himself. Freaked out my 9 year old to the point where I had to call 911 for an escort out of the mess, because she was having a panic/asthma attack. To the idiot who jumped on my Jeep... thanks for the dent butthead!

classclown 6 years, 8 months ago

dbrm4ever2006But at least KU fans have class. Read all the posts for the stories in which they lost. About how the classy KU fans are in that they don't rush the floor and whatnot.

doc1 6 years, 8 months ago

The newspaper must have a misprint. I saw them haul alot of people off in those police transport vans. Not to mention at least 4 poeple in handcuffs at one time.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 8 months ago

Doc 1,Are you implying the LJW is keeping truth away from the general public to protect the image?

1wetwilly 6 years, 8 months ago

dbrm4ever2006,You are the butthead because:1.) you drove a car into a crowd of thousands of celebrating college students and expected them to part way for you,2.) assuming that you knew prior to last night that your nine year old has asthma and that it could be triggered by anxiety or over excitement, you still drove her in a car into that crowd of thousands of screaming, celebrating college students, 3.) assuming that you did not know that your daughter did not have asthma...well, if you didn't know then you truly are a butthead as well as an idiot parent.

pissedinlawrence 6 years, 8 months ago

OMG!! a dent?? i saw people jumping on cars parked on mass CAVING IN THE ENTIRE ROOF!!!wonder how they thought when those people returned to their cars...

Rabbitgoesthump 6 years, 8 months ago

Your just pissed off cause you had your 9 year old with you, there for you couldn't jump on cars :-DAnyone who lives in Lawrence knows downtown will be full of wild drunks...

Sigmund 6 years, 8 months ago

dbrm4ever2006 (Anonymous) says: "Downtown was crazy:"You forget that this is "progressive" Lawrence, Kansas where we blame the victims of crimes and make excuses for the violent and criminal behavior of college students who are intoxicated. After all this is the town that "punishes" drunk drivers who kill innocent pedestrians with three months in jail scheduled over the summer with work release, defend drunk drivers running through the side of a house, and decriminalize marijuana possession so as not to interfere with college students "good time." It should come as no surprise that you should be blamed for drunks fondling themselves in front of your 9 year old child or denting your car.

Wendy magillicutty 6 years, 8 months ago

After beating Oklahoma in 1988, me (a local) and a few other KU students rushed up to campus in hopes of celebrating joyfully, just as we had when we beat Duke. We quickly abandoned the idea as the crowd had us 19 yr olds into going right back home, scared and bummed. Im still a little bid sad over that since it was SO much fun celebrating the Duke win; drivin up and down Jayhawk Blvd (yes, no grid-lock!), givin' high-fives and hugs to friends and strangers, even the then Dean! Downtown, unfortunately, has been taken over by wild drunks and that doesnt make it right. I wouldnt even dream of going down there now and that sucks. Shame on you for criminalizing a person taking their child downtown while decriminalizing exposure to a minor (can you say future registered sex offender?). Last I checked, that doesnt fall into the "celebrating" category. And why shouldnt I take a 9 year old to celebrate downtown? I should be able to take my 20 month old, my grandparents, anybody I want. We're talking about going out in PUBLIC on a public street. We ALL have the right to peacefully gather! Not all KU students are drunks and not all drunks are wild; this town, especially it's public roads, doesn't belong to wild drunks. That being said, sadly I wont be going downtown ANY of Monday, nor take my kids (or vehicles) anywhere near there. I accept this as reality, unfortunately, and again it really doesn't make it right. Wouldn't it be nice if the whole town could celebrate together, at any age?

Ronda Miller 6 years, 8 months ago

I hope your little girl is doing much better today and doesn't have any long term ill ettects from what she witnessed. There is absolutely no excuse for her to have witnessed (or anyone else for that matter) what she did - no you did nothing wrong.There again 99.9 percent of the people acted happy, but not insane.

Confrontation 6 years, 8 months ago

It was sad to see how many young kids were running around with no supervision. When I say young, I'm talking about the 8-12 year olds. Stupid parents. Parents know that the downtown will be loaded with drunks, but they still bring their kids into it or allow them to venture on their own. There's no one else to blame. I was on Mass, with no alcohol in my system, for almost 3 hours. People were jumping on their own cars. Trucks were overloaded. Police were very active and friendly. One cop looked like she was waaaaay too old to be doing her job. We saw some idiots fighting in front of the Granasty. Overall, it was a lot of fun and we didn't feel threatened in any way. Of course, we're adults who wouldn't be ignorant enough to expose children (especially those with anxiety issues) to this situation.

Joshua Montgomery 6 years, 8 months ago

There are still a lot of people downtown today. I noticed that many of the cars never left:http://tinyurl.com/4mnhzcWhen we got down there this morning, several cars had caved in roofs.

Bobbi Reid 6 years, 8 months ago

For those of you who think taking my kids downtown was wrong, at least they were in a car and not in a stroller as I saw many children younger than 2 on the streets last night with their parents. I am not as upset about the dent as I am about the idiot playing with his manhood in front of my daughter. However we will not be downtown tomorrow as I want to keep my sanity. By the way... my daughter is fine, and thinks that older people who drink are idiots... at least she learned something last night about drinking and stupidity.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 8 months ago

dbrm4ever2006.Shame on you for trying to spend some quality time with your kids by taking them downtown to share in the fun and excitement. This is my town too and if I want to be real stupid, jump on you car, destroy your property, and expose myself because KU is "going to the 'ship", that's my right! But don't you dare do anything to my property because it's mine and I can't afford to fix or replace it!

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 8 months ago

5 years ago we took our then 13-year-old son downtown. There was some chick who was very proud of her bare breasts. Our son worked so hard to pretend he wasn't looking that walked into a light pole. I was trying to be the self righteous mother, but it was just too funny. I had to laugh.

jonas 6 years, 8 months ago

huh, I was wondering why it was taking so long for the MU trolls to come out.

LadyWolf 6 years, 8 months ago

dorothyhr:Very funny! You made me laugh right out loud! I remember that time AND that sight myself. I was there with adult children and grandkids. Somehow we all got over it and lived to laugh. We were there last night. Crazy as can be but aside from some who attempted to join us in our truck, everyone just seemed over-the-top happy and excited. Monday should be totally unbelieveable! Go Hawks!!

1wetwilly 6 years, 8 months ago

dbrm4...I'm torn between being able to enjoy the celebration with your family, at first thought you should be able to do that...versus...knowing what might occurr at a crowd of twenty thousand screaming (many intoxicated) college students. Think about what happens at many spring break destinations or other university towns in the last few years during The Final Four or New Orleans during Mardi Gras. I still think it was ill-advised to go down-town with young kids. Yet, as you say, at least you were with yours as opposed to some parents that let theirs run loose by themselves.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

I want to know about the guy from the man hunt last night seems more of a threat than downtown to me but hey call me crazy.

cutny 6 years, 8 months ago

Alcohol Fueled Celebrations By Mostly College-Aged White People Yields Few Arrests

Confrontation 6 years, 8 months ago

Obviously, cutny wasn't on Mass St. There was a good mix of people, including non-whites.

lisabeth2002 6 years, 8 months ago

"When they could, officers confiscated beer cans and bottles from people and poured them out."I had a cop take my beer from be, but then allowed me to drink it first....I saw this from SEVERAL officers. I wouldn't say that this comment is accurate at all! The police did a wonderful job lastnight.

fourkitties 6 years, 8 months ago

Okay.. I went downtown BEFORE the game was over and my car got pummeled as I was LEAVING the downtown. I too had a panic attack and could not get out. Not only did I have dents all over my car, but my spoiler was ripped almost off. 3 or four men sexually assaulted me. again... BEFORE the game was over.

topflight 6 years, 8 months ago

Mariann, Punkazz. I hope you both get stomped by the lawrence, ku going george bush voting troop supporting mob that is the celebration. Piss off.

schweppy 6 years, 8 months ago

I think that last night could have been much worse...they certainly didn't have the same luck in Michigan and needed tear gas to control a crowd of college students partying...http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080406/D8VSEMG80.htmlI think that the police did a great job for the short amount of time that I was down there. There were some who wanted to give them a hard time but they did a good job of taking the abuse.

justthefacts 6 years, 8 months ago

Spouse and I went downtown 5 minutes before the game ended. Left car 2-3 blocks away in a lot and walked. Left the three year old behind with grandma. Duh.It was crazy and packed. But it was also wonderful. You would have thought a war had ended - people of all kinds and ages were embrassing each other, giving "high-fives" and grinning so hard they're faces looked forever frozen in a smile. Good vibes. The cops were polite and restrained. Those who had cars downtown before and after were simply not thinking ahead - they had to know there was going to be a large crowd if KU won. And large crowds means not safe for cars or the easily frightened! There is probably no excuse for those who were nude downtown, or those who were walking on cars, etc - unless you accept drunkness as an excuse. But it was entirely predictable. And what was really amazing were those who deliberately drove cars (nice ones) into the heart of it all. Hope they aren't the ones complaining about the natural results! Anyone with half a brain did not try to drive a car thru the middle of 20,000 people. Duh. So please, if you do not want to experience a 20,000 person crowd, with all its permutations, do not go next time. Just watch it on TV!

Richard Heckler 6 years, 8 months ago

Damaging property is simply not acceptable under any circumstances. Being drunk is no excuse. Perhaps the city should promote dancing in the streets naked or not. How is it that damaging property and fighting is celebrating a basketball game? No way Jose'!

mom_of_three 6 years, 8 months ago

We watched the game at Allen Fieldhouse, and then drove downtown. My two older ones wanted to go, because they remember the final four from 5 years ago, when you could drive downtown and enjoy the celebration. This year was definitely different, and it didn't take too long to decide to get the heck out of there. The celebration was too much for me, but we didn't get pass 10th and Mass. maybe the other end of Mass was better. Dorothy - that was hilarious. On Saturday night, we were walking back to the car, and I saw a drunk guy urinating on a tree in the park. I was going to tell my kids to not look that way, but one saw it before I did, and was pointing to her dad. She thought it was pretty funny and stupid. Luckily, there wasn't a telephone pole around, or she probably would have walked into it.

buddy2me 6 years, 8 months ago

My kids are 14 and 16 and we all went downtown with a group of friends. I agree Confrontation, we all couldn't believe all the young kids with no supervision. My kids would see friends the same age that were there by themselves (parents just dropped them off or whatever) and a lot of them had been drinking. We saw a lot of underage drinking and the police were being very nice and not pushing the problem I think they had too many things to keep track of. I was glad to see that they were letting a lot of things go and letting the students drink, but some of the kids with beer in their hands were way too young. I'm also glad to hear that no one were seriously hurt. You could sure tell as the night went on, the tempers of everyone was getting thin. When we first got there everyone was very polite as we pushed our way through the crowds, but when we left 3 hours later, everyone was not as polite. They were pushing each other and people were throwing up and peeing in the alleys and doorways. The other thing that pissed me off was the idiot that lit the firewords right in the middle of the crowd in front of Weavers. We are real lucky that no one got hurt. Everyone use a little common sense. Please tonight, don't let your young kids run free downtown. It is not a safe environment for kids by themselves. We were worried about our kids and they were with us.

Alison Roberts 6 years, 8 months ago

Okay..... Im a KU alum and I was celebrating right along with everyone else. However, after I witnessed some of the BLATANT disrespect that other fans showed to other peoples property, I have to admit that I was somewhat embarrassed to be an alum. My friend was one of the victims of the caved in roof/hood on her car. She admits that parking on mass was not the best choice, but she also didnt expect that someone would be so disrespectful to jump on a car. The police did not seem "busy" enough for my taste. They were standing in groups on the street corners most of the time and only ventured out when there were too many people jumping on cars in the street. We had to yell at them to break up a huge fight that had broken out not even 15 feet from them. The city should be responsible for any damage caused to cars downtown and here is why-- They KNEW that win or lose the street would be flooded with fans. If they learned anything from last sunday, they would have blocked off the street. Its a precaution they should have taken. In my opinion, the KU/UNC game was a bigger game than tonights will be simply because of the history of it all--and the city/police department knew that.Instead of blocking the street off, they allowed parking, knowing it would get crazy that evening. The meter maids were out in full force, ticketing cars every few hours-- they probably brought in their fair share of money. Im sure the city planned that as well; they knew that people would be parked for longer than the 2 hours max, so they knew they would give out plenty of tickets and make money. If the city thought that bringing in extra police from surrounding areas would help, perhaps they should have discussed a "game plan" of sorts instead of just having extra cops around.... just standing around on the corners. When we walked back to my car a few blocks away, there were 7 cops just standing there doing nothing about another fight and someone throwing lit firecrackers into a crowd of people.... thanks guys. Its sad to me that everyone was celebrating the same thing, a great KU victory, but the evening had to be ruined for some people due to the lack of respect by a few.

jayhawkowensjunior 6 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, back the the manhunt...how did that turn out? I only ask because when my friends went out into my backyard at halftime, the police told us to go in the house because of an "armed suspect." Look, I'm as stoked as anyone about the basketball win, but can we follow up on this at all?

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

fourkitties did you file a report on the assult? I think you should. not even drunk happiness and celebration is a reason to allow this kind of behavior.

HootyWho 6 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like most folks had fun, You know what its going to be like downtown,,,if you don't like what "might" happen, then don't go I do agree however that you should stay off other people's cars, if you feel the need to jump on a car, jump on your own

KSChick1 6 years, 8 months ago

I took my 14 yo downtown, parked a couple of blocks away, and went and basked in the glory. We saw hilarious t-shirts and one guy wearing nothing but tennies and a ku g-string which was ripped on one side. We laughed so hard at the drunk kids high-fiving everyone, the signs, the shirts, etc.We walked up and down one block for the experience of it all, then headed back to the car. I had no problems, although I did worry about 20 kids in the backs of pickups that were inching their way down Mass. I did see cops pulling kids out of the backs of those trucks and off a convertible because it's not safe, and I saw cops taking beer bottles away from other kids, but it was done calmly. Heck, the kids in the trucks and with the beer bottles didn't even get mad.I won't go tonight if we win, but it was fun Saturday night, just to have that experience. IMHO

yeah_right 6 years, 8 months ago

My husband and I took the kids along with several other couples that we watched the game with. We parked on New Hampshire and walked over to Mass., between 7th and 8th. My kids are little, son is 3 and daughter is one. She was in the stroller most of the time, but wanted out and actually started holding her hand out to get high fives. I'm pretty sure I heard her say "Jayhawk" for the first time. My son got lots of kisses from the co-eds. Needless to say, he loved it. We didn't have any problems at all. We are sure training the kid-dos well!

Confrontation 6 years, 8 months ago

buddy2me: It sounds like you are a very responsible parent. I couldn't believe how many people weren't supervising their kids! The way some people were driving their cars, I'm surprised none of the kids were hit. Some of the drivers acted like idiots and just hit the gas in order to scare people out of their way. I was kinding hoping one of the drunks would punch those drivers ;) The city shouldn't be responsible for car damage on Mass St. during the biggest game of the year. That's why you have insurance. If someone damages your car at any other location in the city, then should the city have to pay? Why not just charge the city for any act of vandalism around town? What if I burn my hand with hot water? Should I sue the city since they provide me with that water? The city should actually sue you for being too stupid to keep your car off Mass St.