Archive for Friday, April 4, 2008

Lawrence Chamber CEO to step down

April 4, 2008

Lavern Squier, president and CEO of the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce, is leaving his position, the organization's board of directors announced today.

Dr. James Otten, chair of the chamber's board of directors, said Squier would conclude his employment with the chamber at "a date to be determined following an appropriate transition period."

"We have accepted this decision with very mixed emotions," Otten said. "While we are happy for Lavern and his desire to take on new challenges, his talents will be hard to replace."

The release did not state that Squier had taken another position elsewhere. In a released statement, Squier said that he felt it was a good time to make a change.

"As my five-year anniversary nears, it gives us all cause to evaluate our program of work and look forward to the opportunities that await us, both me as an individual and the Chamber/community," Squier said. "This represents an ideal time for an evolutionary step in my career and likewise for the organization."

The Board of Directors will convene a search committee to identify potential new candidates for the position. No timeline was set.

Comments

BigPrune 7 years, 2 months ago

He was the only normal person down there.

toefungus 7 years, 2 months ago

Prune, I respect your views. Any change at the Chamber should be watched carefully since this so call business advocacy group is really another arm of the government in Lawrence.

unelectable 7 years, 2 months ago

It seems to me that the government in Lawrence is a business advocacy group.

OhHai 7 years, 2 months ago

BigPrune you have NO IDEA what you are taling about

ModerateOne 7 years, 2 months ago

Let's hope both the chamber and the city government are advocacy groups for jobs. We certainly need more opportunities for people to do good work for reasonable pay.

Keith 7 years, 2 months ago

Is this delayed fallout from the Deciphera scandal?

BigPrune 7 years, 2 months ago

OhHai, Lawrence is the most anti-business city in the state, the midwest, and ranks in the top 5 in being anti-business in the country. I DO KNOW what I am talking about. Whatever happened to that study the Progressive commissioners had done regarding growth and its effects? It cost $4-$500,000 and the citizens never got to see the final report. It was also paid for by the taxpayers. Since you KNOW, please tell me where I might find it.

Mike Blur 7 years, 2 months ago

The label "anti-business" is laughable; about as trite as the stale "most liberal senator." The most "business friendly city" in Kansas is probably Garden City. They have prostituted themselves to Big Bidness; now it's one of the cesspools (quite literally) of Kansas. Does Lawrence really want to go that way?That being said, it should be noted that Squier steps down one week after Hack is replaced as mayor. Any coincidence?

optimist 7 years, 2 months ago

Say what you will. The perceptions of Lawrence as a challenging community to do business with are very much known outside our borders. Many businesses that most Lawrence residents have never heard about have dismissed this community before ever really considering what it has to offer because of this perception. This includes companys that bring both "good jobs" and "bad jobs" as if it matters which when there aren't enough.

BigPrune 7 years, 2 months ago

Mr. Blur, Lawrence is anti-business for small businesses and big businesses, period. You must not live in Lawrence.

ModerateOne 7 years, 2 months ago

BigPrune said: "Whatever happened to that study the Progressive commissioners had done regarding growth and its effects? It cost $4-$500,000 and the citizens never got to see the final report. It was also paid for by the taxpayers. Since you KNOW, please tell me where I might find it."BigPrune if you want to look at this you should submit an open records request to the city clerk.

OhHai 7 years, 2 months ago

BigPrune, I was just commenting on your blanket statement of "He was the only normal person down there." Doesn't have anything to do with business, commissioners or taxes. Just the bare bones statement that you made. Oh, and I KNOW.