Archive for Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Several Lawrence polling places consolidated for today’s voting

April 1, 2008

Voters to decide on LOB

Voters in Lawrence head to the polls tomorrow to decide whether to give the Lawrence School Board the authority to raise the local option budget and property taxes. Enlarge video

Related document

Douglas County Polling Places ( .PDF )

Douglas County Clerk Jamie Shew has consolidated a few polling sites for today's special Lawrence school district local-option budget election.

Voters at eight precincts in Lawrence and Douglas County will not be voting at their normal sites. They are:

¢ 3rd Precinct voters, who will report to the Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vt., instead of the Douglas County Senior Center.

¢ 8th Precinct voters, who will vote at Trinity Lutheran Church, 1245 N.H., instead of South Park Recreation Center.

¢ 10th Precinct voters, who will report to Immanuel Lutheran Church, 2104 W. 15th St., instead of Kansas University's Burge Union.

¢ 25th Precinct voters, who will vote at Cordley School, 1837 Vt., rather than Central United Methodist Church.

¢ 52nd and 53rd precinct voters who, will report to Wakarusa Township Hall at 31st and Louisiana streets, instead of Eudora City Hall and the Eudora Township Fire Station.

¢ 59th Precinct voters, who will vote at Clinton Township Hall, 1177 E. 604 Road, instead of Marion Township Hall.

¢ 67th Precinct voters, who will report to First Church of the Nazarene, 1470 N. 1000 Road, instead of Willow Springs Township Hall.

Lecompton city voters will report to the polls to select City Council members and decide a sales tax question.

Voters in affected precincts should have received notification letters from the clerk's office. Polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Comments

aginglady 6 years, 9 months ago

Why no? My son's teacher lives in another cheaper county, her family doesn't even pay taxes here for her own benefit. Why should I?

If you like your child's teacher, just send them the money, then you will know it will actually get to them. I've treated teacher's to usable gifts and spending money for the class many years. But the administration doesn't use money wisely.

LogicMan 6 years, 9 months ago

Please get out and vote NO to this horribly-timed tax increase TODAY. Even the LJW, this past weekend, said that a no-vote is called for due to various factors.

We all wish teachers well, but their management needs to run a much tighter ship until the economy recovers. Polling places are show in the PDF:

KsTwister 6 years, 9 months ago

NO, we voted yes already and the raise didn't go to the teachers then either. Sly. With hundreds already added in the last 6 years don't buy into the "only $15" gimmick. People are leaving, you may be picking up more than you think.

aginglady 6 years, 9 months ago

I opened our voting place, and I voted NO

Please get out there today.

jayhawklawrence 6 years, 9 months ago

The best gift you can pass on in life is to provide the next generation with the best possible education.In Lawrence we have something to be very proud of with our kids schools. I have 3 kids in these schools and I know how dedicated and hard working our teachers are.Please support them for all they do for us.For a home value of $200,000 a year its only another$ 13.80 added to your annual bill. That is about $ 1.15 a month.If we cannot support this small request, the schools will have to cut some services. My kids have never needed the at risk support that WRAP provides. But some kids are not as fortunate and they need us.We adults talk and argue all the time about a lot of things. What sometimes gets lost in all the rhetoric is that our kids need us.Please help our schools give these kids the love and support they need.That is what this is about.Please vote yes.

Take_a_letter_Maria 6 years, 9 months ago

Slow voting day so far.I was only the second person to vote at my polling place.Voted NO btw. I had my mind made up this way already, but I have had teachers tell me that they were opposed to this issue as well. If they are willing to vote it down the fish must really stink starting at the head.

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 9 months ago

Vote NO. Tell government we do not want their continuous tax increases.

BigPrune 6 years, 9 months ago

NOW you tell us!I voted NO. Sorry teachers, I know you have to teach our children 141 days out of the year, plus 39 half days , but it was a field YOU decided to go into. I wish I could get federal holidays off and got three months off during the summer, had weekends off, and got benefits. I haven't had a vacation in 7 years and I work 360 days a year and my taxes keep going up. Lobby the administration to cut their staff/wages so you can get a raise. Boo hoo.

ECM 6 years, 9 months ago

No matter how many vote NO like I did I bet the yes' win. Why? Maybe because no one asked or even when offered wanted to check my ID. Also a school board member was working the polling place and handed me my ballot. Seems inappropriate to me.

BigPrune 6 years, 9 months ago

Reminds me of when the League of Women Voters worked the polls years ago. Of course, their candidates also won.

Raider 6 years, 9 months ago

I love how they tell us ON election day that the polling places have moved. I bet this is very convenient for the "yes" crowd, as a lot of people won't know where to go.VOTE NO!!!!!!

KsTwister 6 years, 9 months ago

One ballot, one question and one stinking "special" election. This should only be able to happen during an actual election. The school board has milked us out of the cost of this if nothing else. Shameless. Sly. Time to petition for new rules in regard to this one. Weseman got the raise with the last one, never do they go where they promise. Teachers need their wages negotiated without votes but by their union, then you would see the change in taxpayer behavior. Now go sit by the chalkboard!

motomom 6 years, 9 months ago

hey, big prune...try being a counselor, policeman, disciplinarian, parent, friend AND a good teacher-ALL AT THE SAME TIME and get paid very little. incidently, most teachers are still working throughout the summertime...going to school themselves to receive master's degrees to get better pay. have you sat in a classroom lately? it is not an easy job at all...i am amazed at how children behave....and the teacher's have to be very careful about how they handle unsavory situations....they need to be paid more...after all, they are doing the job of MANY !

Raider 6 years, 9 months ago

For me, it's not that I don't think the teachers deserve a raise. I think they should get one. It's the fact that the school board has wasted funds, and now want us to foot the bill for them again. They have a budget, and should learn to live within it just like the rest of us. Also, the fact they're trying to pull a sneaky with this election really irks me. They think that if they lay low and not publicize this, then no one will get out and vote. They think only the 'yes crowd' will go vote and they will get an easy win. Do they really think we are that stupid that we can't see through this?Give the teachers a raise, and do it within your budget. NO NEW TAXES!!!VOTE NO!!!

otto 6 years, 9 months ago

I vote for a school district that doesn't waste all of the money I already pay. I vote no for this tax increase. Wasteful spending is the norm for usd497.

BigPrune 6 years, 9 months ago

Someone just told me that the Bishop Seabury voting place has been moved to Southwest Jr. High. This isn't listed as changed on the JW website.

toefungus 6 years, 9 months ago

The polling place changes sounds very fishy to me. Was this announced in advance? I am going to do a little investigating of my own.

tvc 6 years, 9 months ago

I voted NO, and I was voter number 11.

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

I agree with Bigprune. The teachers definitely need to think ahead about their poor wages before they consider a job in teaching. I can't think of any realistic reason why we would need to raise the incentives to draw teachers to our school system. Teaching is an unimportant job anyway, you'd be better off just teaching your kid yourself at home.

motomom 6 years, 9 months ago

maybe individuals who want to be teachers would like to make a positive difference in people's lives, jonas.

Keith 6 years, 9 months ago

There was a little illegal electioneering going on in front of the library this morning, anyone notice it anywhere else?

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

Heehee. 3 bites and counting. This is fun! :)

Richard Heckler 6 years, 9 months ago

Tell the commissioners to stop creating neighborhoods in an effort to curb the rising cost of living in Lawrence,Kansas. Some commissioners must be big profiteers cuz they just keep on building.

KsTwister 6 years, 9 months ago

"Voters in affected precincts should have received notification letters from the clerk's office."This has best be proven, do you solemnly swear?