Archive for Sunday, September 30, 2007

Severe weather warning extended until 4 p.m.

September 30, 2007, 3:11 p.m. Updated September 30, 2007, 3:30 p.m.

A severe weather warning for Douglas County and southeastern Jefferson County was extended until 4 this afternoon.

The National Weather Service Doppler radar continued to indicate severe thunderstorms capable of producing quarter size hail and destructive winds in excess of 70 mph. The storm was located near Williamstown, or about 5 miles northwest of Lawrence, moving northeast at 50 mph.

Comments

GretchenJP 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm in Ottawa and we just got hit pretty good but they're already gone. Didn't Lawrence get anything?

Danielle Brunin 7 years, 1 month ago

We got some heavy rain for about 10 minutes around 3:00-3:15 and then some moderate rain for a few minutes. Certainly nothing that would necessitate a severe thunderstorm warning, at least on this side of town. How disappointing! Did Ottawa get hail or wind?

GretchenJP 7 years, 1 month ago

That is disappointing! I'm with you, I love the storms. I'm at work right now in a huge safe building so BRING IT ON! LOL I couldn't hear much in here but the wind was howling pretty good and it rained but I don't think we got hail.

Danielle Brunin 7 years, 1 month ago

I love storms too! Obviously I don't wish for tornadoes or anything like that (okay I do, but just as long as they don't cause damage or injury to anyone). I just want a good old fashioned Kansas thunderstorm and it seems like we just don't get them in Lawrence very often.

GretchenJP 7 years, 1 month ago

We're a lot alike. My favorite weather is thunderstorms. There's nothing more peaceful. I don't mind tornados either... as long as I'm not in their path of course. lol My husband loves storm chasing. I lived in GA for about 7 years and missed the Kansas storms. I'm glad to be back.

Jan Faimon 7 years, 1 month ago

Williamstown DIDN't miss out on the rough weather. Lots of trees/branches down there. People in the country are stil without electricity.

GretchenJP 7 years, 1 month ago

Wow jteacher, sounds like some treachorous (sp?) weather there. I certainly hope everyone is alright.