Archive for Saturday, September 29, 2007

Justice Thomas details ‘high-tech lynching’

September 29, 2007

— Breaking his 16-year public silence on his bitter confirmation hearings, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas says Anita Hill was a mediocre employee who was used by political opponents to make claims she had been sexually harassed.

Thomas writes about Hill, his former employee in two government agencies, and the allegations that nearly derailed his nomination to the high court in 1991 in his autobiography, "My Grandfather's Son."

A copy of the book, which goes on sale Monday, was obtained Friday by The Associated Press.

He writes with indignation of the nationally televised hearings that he memorably called a "high-tech lynching." A child of the segregated South, Thomas says he was being pursued "not by bigots in white robes but by left-wing zealots draped in flowing sanctimony."

Powerful interest groups were out to stop him at all costs and chose "the age-old blunt instrument of accusing a black man of sexual misconduct," he writes.

Hill declined comment Friday night.

Oracle_of_Rhode 8 years, 2 months ago

Clarance Thomas is a mental midget and a disgrace to the legacy of Justice Marshall. I don't believe a word he says.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 8 years, 2 months ago

"Hill declined comment Friday night."

... apparently still shaken by that whole O.J. thang....

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 2 months ago

Justice Scalia (a very conservative member of the court) was asked to distinguish himself from Thomas, and he said something to the effect that he is sane.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 2 months ago

Captain Obvious: Hold your horses there, big guy. The only person that made a comment that could be construed as racist was "tangential..." Other than that, they were merely comments saying that they thought Justice Thomas was a poor addition to the Supreme Court. Perhaps, if one REALLY wanted to stretch to find a hint at racism, they could look at the first comment about a "ghostwriter." But that is a commonplace literary term so you'd be pushing it. Surely you aren't proposing that everyone has to post positive, sugarcoated comments about black people in order to not be racist, or are you?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 8 years, 2 months ago

Hong_Kong_Phooey says: "The only person that made a comment that could be construed as racist was "tangential:"

Hey, buddy, may I point out that Anita Hill is black?!

(... call me a racist... I'll "O.J." ya....)

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 2 months ago

Wow, Tangential, you are a very observant person to have noted that Anita Hill is black. Not too sure what that has to do with your racist "O.J." comments, but kudos to you for pointing out Ms. Hill's skin color to everyone. Keep up the good work...

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 8 years, 2 months ago

Anonymous says: "What's wrong, tangential, cat got your tongue?

BrianR 8 years, 2 months ago

"I wonder who his ghostwriter is?"

Hmmm, is Kitty Kelly still around?

Baille 8 years, 2 months ago

"If a black man doesn't support you he must be a stupid black."

Or they just read his opinions.

costello 8 years, 2 months ago

"I wonder who his ghostwriter is."

That was my first thought, too, bozo.

costello 8 years, 2 months ago

"So much for equality and civility for blacksseems we wish to pick and choose which blacks are OK or not OK from the liberals perspective. Unbelievable."

Are you really suggesting that if one questions the qualifications or intelligence of a black person one is racist? Didn't Martin Luther King, Jr. dream of a day when his children could be judged on the content of their character not the color of their skin?

I don't think Clarence Thomas is stupid because he's black. I think he's stupid because he's stupid. The day I pretend I think someone is bright because they're black is the day you can call me a racist.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 2 months ago

"Or they just read his opinions."

Prolly not, given he usually doesn't write one (or have one written for him.)

mr_economy 8 years, 2 months ago

Anyone wondering why Justice Thomas' credibility is consistently challenged, please read his concurring opinion in Morse v. Frederick (the "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" case). This man is clearly deluded, alone on the Court in his insane opinions, and dangerous to the Constitution.

And before anyone goes off about how Thomas is just good conservative on a court gone horribly liberal, remember Justice Stevens' response when asked about both his supposed liberal leanings and those of the Court:

"I don't think of myself as a liberal at all...I think as part of my general politics, I'm pretty darn conservative."

"Including myself, every judge who's been appointed to the court since Lewis Powell has been more conservative than his or her predecessor. Except maybe Justice Ginsburg. That's bound to have an effect on the court."

Stevens is a moderate conservative (objectively speaking; relatively speaking he appears liberal). Thomas, on the other hand, is a conservative fundamentalist. The difference is apparent to anyone familiar with constitutional interpretation.