Archive for Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Boaters startled by new enforcement of noise law

2006 Legislature passed regulation without fanfare

September 19, 2007

Topeka resident Kirk Keberlein prepares his boat before docking it at the Rock Creek Marina on Friday at Perry Lake. A new state law puts a cap on noise levels emitted by boats. Keberlein, who has a 38-foot sports boat that exceeds the law's decibel level, and others alike are frustrated by the law. The boat, which is typically not legal to be on the water by the law, was permitted on the weekend of Sept. 15 for the Watercraft Poker Run event.

Kirk Keberlein and his 38-foot sports boat spent all summer on Perry Lake.

So it was like a splash of cold water in the face when on Labor Day weekend Keberlein was told that, under a new state law, his boat was too noisy. He was asked to leave the lake and not come back until the boat was quieter.

"Say you bought a new Mustang and you woke up one day and found out that you couldn't drive it down the road anymore," Keberlein said. "Well, that is exactly what has happened here."

Keberlein and dozens of other regular Perry Lake boaters are concerned that a law approved in 2006 - but not enforced until the end of this summer - will force them off Kansas waterways.

The alternative is to spend thousands of dollars to upgrade exhaust systems. And even then, some boaters said, they aren't guaranteed their boats will meet the new noise requirements.

The law is aimed squarely at noise produced from high-speed sport boats and a feature many of them have - the captain's call switch - that makes the engine faster and louder.

"Our senators, legislators, representatives have passed a law that specifically makes certain boats just plain old illegal, no matter how much noise it puts out," Keberlein said.

Too loud

Dan Hesket was the one who proposed and wrote the law. He is assistant director of law enforcement and boating law administrator for the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks.

The idea came from 12 years of enforcing laws on state waters and complaints he received in that time. Perry, Cheney and El Dorado lakes produced more noise complaints than any other lakes in the state, he said.

Store manager for Lake Perry Yacht and Marina Mike Stanley is among those who have heard complaints about the loud boats. And he agrees.

"Quite honestly, people were glad to see the law go into effect," Stanley said.

From his home, which is near the lake, he can hear the boats running at night.

For years, Kansas had a law that required all exhaust systems to use water to help muffle the sound. However, that law was somehow discarded when the state updated its regulations in the early 1990s.

About 35 states have some kind of restriction in place. Kansas' law says a boat can't be louder than 86 decibels from a distance of 50 feet. Scientifically, the 86 decibel level is the amount of noise the average factory would make or the sound of city traffic inside a car.

Anecdotally, on Keberlein's boat at dock, the sound of the idling engine is about as loud as a crowded restaurant. A conversation could be carried over it, but raised voices were needed.

But it's another matter as the boat rips across the lake.

During a crisp, clear September evening on Perry Lake with no other boat in sight and going up toward 80 mph, little could be heard over the wind and roaring motor.

Boaters said it's mainly wind that makes the noise, and the boat is no louder at idle than in full throttle.

Keberlein was able to take his boat for a spin that weekend because he was participating in a sanctioned event, which allows the noisier boats to run 24 hours before and after the event.

Enforcing the noise

In reality, Hesket said the state is only going to use the 86 decibel level to determine if boats should be pulled over for testing at closer range. Conducting sound readings from a 50-foot distance is too complicated and could be hard to defend in court, he said.

Instead, officers will issue warnings - and, someday, tickets - based on sound readings taken just three feet from a boat's engine that is at dock and idling. In those circumstances, the boats cannot be louder than 91 decibels, Hesket said.

As for the captain's call feature - which, when enacted, will stop water from going into the exhaust - Hesket said the law prohibits any boats from having them. But, he said, boaters won't be thrown off the lake unless the captain's call feature produces sounds greater than 91 decibels, just like all the other boats.

"We're more concerned about the noise," Hesket said. "We just don't want (boaters) out there blowing people off the water with exhaust noise."

Weekend crackdown

For much of the summer, Ryan Smidt, an officer with the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks, had been warning boaters at Perry Lake that enforcement was pending. It began in earnest on Labor Day weekend.

Six boats were found in violation. No one was issued tickets, but they were asked to leave the lake until the boat was in compliance.

Among those found in violations was Rhonda Hamm and her husband. The Perry couple, who started boating eight years ago, immediately listed both of their sport boats for sale, fearing they could no longer use them in Kansas.

"I just don't understand this. We never hurt anyone; we never had an accident," Hamm said.

At the time of passage - in the 2006 Legislature - the law was part of a bill that took four years to craft, Hesket said. And it was mixed among laws that focused on marina theft, whistles on personal watercraft and signals used for when someone fell in the water. The noise restrictions drew little attention and no opposition.

Since the crackdown over Labor Day weekend, hundreds of letters from boaters protesting the new law have been written to government officials throughout the state.

Lee Tafanelli, a state representative who lives in Ozawkie, visits Perry Lake often.

After hearing complaints from boat owners, he thinks a group should be formed to find common ground on the noise issue.

With the boating season in Kansas a few weeks away from ending, Hesket said warnings will continue to be issued next year. And citations will be issued only if boaters return with unfixed mufflers.

"We want it to be a harmonious environment," Hesket.

Comments

rockchlknative 7 years, 3 months ago

Down on your luck matahari? I just love characterizations that include 'rich'. I'm not sure how you define rich, but personally I don't think it has anything to do with material possessions. A bit short sighted don't you think?

Oh yeah, I love big and loud boats. I could never afford one, but my life is still rich.

KsTwister 7 years, 3 months ago

You think a boats loud? Listen to a tractor sometime. This is all too funny.

Bud Stagg 7 years, 3 months ago

However I can turn my music down. Thru hull exhaust does not make your boat go that much faster and is very obnoxious. It's like the kid at the street light with the bass that shakes everyone elses car. It's an intrusion on my space.

lounger 7 years, 3 months ago

Give the lake a break and use sailboats!

warthog 7 years, 3 months ago

"Once again, Kansas refuses to admit that their are NO lakes within the state borders. It is perry reservoir. If you want to see real lakes that are not reservoirs you have to go to Minnesota or Wisconsin."

Wow. Lake snobs. Guess I haven't seen it all yet.

Oracle_of_Rhode 7 years, 3 months ago

Get a sailboat, cowboy. Your load boat is overcompensating for some insecurity. Hmmm...

Donzi 7 years, 3 months ago

The bottom line is the noise needs to be reduced. OK. I have no problem with that. However, the power boats are the only ones being checked for noise. Let's apply the law equally to all boats. All of the house boats with no mufflers are illegal. All of the boats that do not meet the 86 dB level are illegal. All of the boats with Captains Call are illegal. How can Dan Hesket say that the law won't be applied as written? This law has adversely affected more boats then they realized. It needs to be updated to the latest version of the Missouri law.

BigAl 7 years, 3 months ago

Joehawk... But I disagree. I love the sound of a Harley or a boat with an unfettered V8. However, I too used to pull in the coves, drop anchor, sip a few cold ones and listen to the Beach Boys or Jimmy Buffet. However, some of you decided that EVERYONE wanted to hear your music so you "shared" with the entire cove. Give me the passing noise of a V8 engine.
By the way, after 20 years of boat ownership, I sold out last summer. Didn't miss it.

LHS76 7 years, 3 months ago

rockchik- Righton! Matahari must be from the victim group. As are many of the posters in this town.

Bradley Kemp 7 years, 3 months ago

Now if we could just get the city police to enforce the noise ordinance against cars and trucks that are too loud -- either because of lack of maintenance or because of deliberate modifications to make them loud. Or because of that bizarre phenomenon of playing what purports to be music at appalling volumes.

Keith 7 years, 3 months ago

Keberlein was able to take his boat for a spin that weekend because he was participating in a sanctioned event, which allows the nosier boats to run 24 hours before and after the event.

After that they have to mind their own business and stop being so nosy.

beeline 7 years, 3 months ago

"We want it to be a harmonious environment," Hesket.

Harmonious - Characterized by harmony of sound; melodious

And now it will be.

imagainstit 7 years, 3 months ago

gee, i suspect he has enough money to buy a louder playground. what's the story? i didn't get my way? maybe you can buy your way around it. good luck. why does kansas hate boaters? maybe because their aren't any more sharks around to share the water, hell, i don't know, i'm just another idiot like you.

gccs14r 7 years, 3 months ago

All it takes is one obnoxious boater to spoil the lake for hundreds, so I'm thrilled that they're enforcing the noise regs. I've heard one of the Hamm boats and it's ridiculously loud. (It's also not necessary to run 100+ mph on Perry, something that the boat I saw will do.) Now if they'll go after the open-piped Hardleys and the tomato-can rice burners here in Lawrence, maybe we can enjoy some peace and quiet.

snowWI 7 years, 3 months ago

Once again, Kansas refuses to admit that their are NO lakes within the state borders. It is PERRY RESERVOIR. If you want to see real lakes that are not reservoirs you have to go to Minnesota or Wisconsin.

matahari 7 years, 3 months ago

ha, finally a law that touches the rich persons' coat strings! maybe they will out think (outlaw) themselves someday

matahari 7 years, 3 months ago

I can see it now, Boat for sale, need to sell to buy lake!

juststrugglin 7 years, 3 months ago

We own a boat, that is dock at Lake Perry. (NOT RICH) We have a house boat, we don't mind the noise, that should not be the issue at all. It should be the safety. Its the speed boats and house boats that wake other boats causing personnel property damage and endangering the lives of those on the boats. We have seen it first hand. Lake patrol is not the best. If you have more money, then you are ok. Yes the Hamm's boats are loud, thats not the problem, its the people driving these boats. No respect. The lake is a place for everyone to enjoy, not to compensate for other problems. Ok done venting.

poorboater 7 years, 3 months ago

I recently visited Perry. I boat in Texas, Missouri, Oklahoma & Kansas. I typically spend $1500 a weekend on fuel & lodging. Of those dollars spent, $500-700 gets spent on fuel for the boat. That money is spent at the town gas station nearest to the lake I am playing at or at one of the marinas on the lake. Do you suppose the owners of those establishments would like to miss out on that revenue? Probably not. I know I'm not the only person reading this article who is thinking the same way. The problem with so many of you people against the noise is the same problem that is wrong with much of America. You people can't mind your own business! You take away our right to have God mentioned in the Pledge of Alegiance. If you find a television program's content offensive, you raise a big stink about it, instead of just turning the channel. You infringe upon the common person your skewed ideas/beliefs. You push your "values" on the normal people that founded this great country. You can't just get along! You need to have your way. Well, I'll tell you this; Your way is your way. My way is my way. DEAL WITH IT! You are probably the same type of person that doesn't want a landfill in your county, but will complain that trash rates are too high. You are the same person who complains about "brown outs" in your electrical service, but you don't want the powerplant built in your neighborhood. You are all just spoiled! There are larger problems in this world to deal with. Problems larger than the noise a boat makes. Larger than a stereo makes. Larger than Sunday liqour sales. How about focousing your energy on something important? Terrorism, the economy, education...... Grow up. Think about others 1st. Think about the impact this law will have on your neighbors when all the "loud" boaters leave & take their money with them.

BigAl 7 years, 3 months ago

I 100% agree with right_thinker. (This is a first) The loud pipes aren't for me either but they do sound cool. As for owning a boat or making payments, my wife told the dealer many years ago that we "don't finance toys". Up until last year (sold the boat), we too headed for our spot, dropped anchor and enjoyed the day.

salad 7 years, 3 months ago

While I appreciate a noise limit on boat motors (they make mufflers ya know...pretty cheap to install too), I don't particularly have a problem with loud boats. I do have a problem with boats going 80 mph on a lake!!! That's nuts. It can be really hard to see something lying in the water ahead of you, and at those speeds, someone is gonna die. What if some kid had a problem with a jetski and was in the water trying to get back on? There should definitely be a speed limit just like on the roads.

Jeteras 7 years, 3 months ago

You think these Corps lakes are loud? Goto Lake of the Ozarks. Trust me a 160+ MPH boat is VERY loud . There are houses "RIGHT" on the water. You see houses "RIGHT" on the water at kansas corps lakes? NO! BECAUSE THE CORPS OWNS ALL 30+ thousand acres around the lakes for crying out loud? Are people dying because of loud pipes? You want to really do something to keep people from getting killed? Regulate jet skis to an area at certain times, Make the cove NO WAKE, Stop draining the lake and making hazards show up out of nowhere! There are many more issues that need more attention than this.

Oh and I like the people judging others because they can afford a nice boat. Get a life

imastinker 7 years, 3 months ago

I get tired of the loud boats.

Exhaust going through the prop on a boat is not too restrictive on most boats. It doesn't cost much mileage or HP, but it really does cut noise. I boat on perry and other lakes, like Bull Shoals. Perry is very loud with a lot of big boats, and I prefer the quieter ones.

Some boats, however, do need through hull exhaust. These include true inboard engines. These are usually not too loud, and sound relatively good most of the time.

wylee1 7 years, 3 months ago

I own an old boat and I'm not even close to being rich. I spend a lot of time on Perry Lake. My boat exhaust is not very noisy, but I love the sound of loud boats coming across the lake. I've also owned houseboats that are louder then the boats they are targeting. I think this law is ridiculous and needs to be changed. At least with the loud boats and loud motorcycles:.you might not see them but you'll hear them. Could save a life or two. By the way, if you don't like the noise:.go to Clinton Lake.

BigAl 7 years, 3 months ago

jeteras.... I am not judging others. I simply stated that my wife wouldn't let me finance a boat.
I might ask you if you would like some cheese with that whine?

wylee1 7 years, 3 months ago

How many people have died on Perry Lake due to boats with loud exhaust?? None that I'm aware of. I think we should be more concerned with jet ski's then loud exhaust!!! And yeah, I've owned jet ski's too.

BigAl 7 years, 3 months ago

And again, I agree with right_thinker. By the way, you can see the same little arrogant a-holes out at Clinton. I remember watching a Yukon pulling the new Crown Line out of the lake, dragging the prop all the way up the ramp. He forgot to raise the motor. I told him from the dock that he needed to raise his motor but he knew best. So, I watched him ruin the prop and the bottom end of that motor. Bad deal.

Jeteras 7 years, 3 months ago

AL, sure i like cheese hehe.. Bottom line is I do now know what they have in MO, But it must work because the boats and boaters down there seem to get along. Well, with the exception of the 7 foot wakes that break peoples docks that is another isssue. Where ever there is a group of people they will never get along. I hope this gets resolved because loud boats or not I have met more cool people in 3 years being on the lake than I have my whole life!!

Donzi 7 years, 3 months ago

Hey right_thinker, what does making payments, "stabbin cabins", or accidents at Lake of the Ozarks have to do with noise laws at Lake Perry? Please get back to us if you have any ideas that pertain to the issue at hand. We are trying to have a rational discussion of a law that impacts the majority of the boats docked at Perry.

BigAl 7 years, 3 months ago

Jeteras... I agree. I have met some super people on the lake. And, some of the best times of my life were on the lakes. Great memories.

Bud Stagg 7 years, 3 months ago

I was kidding about my music, making fun of those people too. Yes I can blast out the cove, but I don't. I blast it so my skiers and tubers can hear when behind the boat and we are obviously away from other boats while pulling these people. Therefore no one has to listen to my music and I don't subject them to it.

In my opinion anytime your actions bother others, you should tone it down. It's only polite. If you want loud boats or music, do it away from others.

preebo 7 years, 3 months ago

It goes to show you that the "Johnson Countification" of Kansas does not stop in Johnson County. If you look at the three lakes that have increased issues with noise it is no coincidence that they coincide with instances of suburban sprawl eminating from various urban centers in Kansas.

Having said that, I agree with the new regs, but for reasons of natural aesthetics. I am also against ATV's in National Parks, so go figure.

sourpuss 7 years, 3 months ago

Oh, boo hoo! I can't be a jerk and make as much noise as I want while compensating for my perceived lack of potency in particular body parts!! Waaaaahhh!! I spent money!! What happened?? I have a right to be rich and to bother everyone!! I'm going to hold my breath until I can make noise again.

wylee1 7 years, 3 months ago

Dang sourpuss.....you really are a sourpuss!! Sounds like you have some jealousy issues.

imagainstit 7 years, 3 months ago

wizard104 7 years, 3 months ago

News Flash : "Plane down in Jefferson County" It probably flew over Perry lake and was forced downed due to the new noise law! Where will it end?

Mamabearku 7 years, 3 months ago

Andini-nice post-definitely seems to be where the lawmakers are headed with the new regulations. As far as noise--this is suddenly a problem? There have been boats on Perry lake for as long as I can remember. Anyone who has actually been to the lake knows that power boats run their engines for a limited amount of time. My concern is that boats are not being tested consistently. While one boat is asked to leave another is allowed to stay. If there is going to be a blanket law it should be enforced uniformly. Also, in regard to Mr. Stanley's statement about engine noise at night--does he go to bed at 8pm? Most power boats are off the water before dark. The big picture isn't just the unfairness of this law but the amount of financial impact it will have on the lake and surrounding towns. Power boats are not the sole source of revenue but any boat not passing the decibel level will be asked to leave causing an eventual loss in parking, camping, gas, dock rental and restuarant income. Not to mention the surrounding communities that thrive on lake traffic. This isn't a case of someone not getting what they want, it's a case of unfairly targeting a specific group without realizing the trickle effect that's still to come.

Sandra Willis 7 years, 3 months ago

As a person with good hearing - I despise cars that have the bass up very loud. As I used to live in a two story house at the corner of Tenn and 19th - the cars that would wake me up at 2:00 a.m. let me realize that the people that do that are just looking for attention - look at my CAR!! It's so childish. The Harley motorcycles, however - many of the owners do not want to get their neighbors upset with them. It just takes a "Hey, neighbor, Your bike woke us up last night." and the owner of it will take pains to not be so loud with the Harley.

snowWI 7 years, 3 months ago

"From this day forward only Canoes, Kayaks & Paddleboats shall be allowed on Kansas ."

There, I fixed that for you.

snowWI 7 years, 3 months ago

"From this day forward only Canoes, Kayaks & Paddleboats shall be allowed on Kansas (Reservoirs)."

There, I fixed that for you.

snowWI 7 years, 3 months ago

I agree with preebo. It does seem like the Johnson County people and other people with a lot of money take over a lot of these reservoirs that are very far removed from the Kansas City metro area. The average property values in areas near the reservoirs also rise at a much faster rate compared with the surrounding areas. This in turn makes it harder for local residents to afford to buy houses if they live near one of the reservoirs, especially in Missouri.

sourpuss 7 years, 3 months ago

Actually, wylee1, I really don't like boats, so there is no "jealousy" there. I DO severely dislike jerks who want to make their life part of mine with loud cars/boats/music/etc. And then to listen to someone WHINE about how they can't make as much noise as they want... okay, well, call me jealous, but I guess I have only to be jealous about how someone could be so completely self-centered that they care nothing about anyone else. It would be nice to be that way... living in my own little bubble where my greatest concern was what I wanted next. Oh yeah. I'm jealous.

And yes, I AM a Sourpuss! And that I am proud of! :)

Masttop 7 years, 3 months ago

As a sailor who has been happily sharing Lake Perry with power boats for many years, I'd like to add a little information. First, the boats being discussed are small group of cigarette boats. With two supercharged engines putting out well over 1000 HP (1200 to 1800 is typical), they are about as loud as fuel dragsters. With the way sound travels across water, you can be a mile or two away and still have difficulty carrying on a conversation.

That's just the noise issue. Seeing two or three racing at 70-100 mph on a crowded holiday weekend seems to be a disaster waiting to happen. I talked with one owner at a boat ramp who was happy to explain that his boat only used two gallons per mile when running. He doesn't buy fuel or keep his boat anywhere locally. He wasn't about to pay the taxes of keeping a $300,000 boat in Kansas.

Lastly, these boats are on an increase at Perry because the lakes on the Missouri side have had a noise limit for several years now.

boaterfan 7 years, 3 months ago

Wow, If you don't like the noise of boats going across the water then move the heck away from the lake. What did you expect. If you don't like boats and noise don't camp next to the lake. The noise from the loud stereo's are just as loud as the 10 minutes the "loud' boats float around you. Give me a break. My thought is if you can afford the high dollar power boats you should be allow to have it sound the way you want. The others are just plain jealous. Again, you have a slip at Perry and you don't like it when the power boats start up then maybe you should move. I love the people who complain about harleys, boats and tractors do you guys not have anything better to do with your lives then complain to make others just as depressed as yourselves. Get a life.

sourpuss 7 years, 3 months ago

I just don't know why people have to buzz about on some loud thing all of the time. When I was little, our family camping in Colorado was spoiled by these families riding these off-road three-wheelies all day, every day, up and down the trail. How is that any fun? Just take a walk, listen to the streams, the birds. If you want to tear around and make a lot of noise, go to an amusement park.

As for water recreation, why don't we designate a "loud" lake somewhere and send all the noisy-bones there? Leave habitated lakes like Perry to sailboats, canoes, or -reasonable- motors. Why don't people like to sail anyway? Because it takes skill and effort? It seems a thousand times nicer than some loud engine. Wouldn't it be great to feel the pull of the wind rather than the push of a motor? Regardless, people don't have the "right" to make as much noise as they want. Besides, this law is hardly making motor boats illegal - just the really loud, obnoxious ones.

SloMo 7 years, 3 months ago

I always thought they should allow boats on even days and not on odd days (or vice versa). That way, everyone could have a chance to plan a lake event around the way they like to enjoy it. Maybe the different lakes could alternate whether to do even or odd days, so the loud folks and the quiet folks would always have a choice of a lake to go to.

BigAl 7 years, 3 months ago

right_thinker.... and you were doing so well. Why did you have to boil the "boating" issue down to democrats and republicans? I am a registered democrat and I was agreeing with you. That doesn't fit into your mold. While I am at it, I don't hate Bush. I think he has proved out to be a terrible president, but I don't hate him. I even voted for his daddy, once.
Back to the lake.

bystander 7 years, 3 months ago

I live near the lake & I do hear some of the boats. I can also hear music, laughter and screaming children. It seems they are selectively enforcing the noise ordinance as they are not checking any houseboats. Quite a few of them are also over 86 decibels. And, as someone stated above, most of these go-fast boats they are targeting are off the water well before dark. The boats heard "running at night" are most likely houseboats.

We have take our boat out regularly (a cruiser that is well under 86 decibels), and we have had more problems with ski boats and PWCs that don't understand (or just don't care) what their wake does to other boats that are moored together.

KUDRAMA 7 years, 3 months ago

My turn :::.I'm a little entertained and disgruntled with my fellow Americans post above. Do you guys need any cheese and crackers with your wine???? Do you really know what 86db sounds like? I can tell you it's not as loud as the church bell that has rung for the past 100 years near my house!!And I still built there!! What the hell is this world coming to?? I can only hope individuals like "gccs14r" and "pywacket" will move to a county that may fit there life style and believes a little better :.say CHINA. I am not a speed boat or power boat owner although I have spent almost every weekend at Perry this year with my family. In our quite little bow rider. I have seen and heard almost every boat at Perry, and feel a lot this is simply a joke of our American system, Is it possible some politician lives near Perry, And wants to flex his arm? Boats do need a db law don't get me wrong, but 86db? What's next besides the Harley's and the fart can mufflers, Will it be public speaking through a amplified sound device:where do you guys want to stop??? I know of Kirk Keberlein boat which is completely factory and has NOT been modified and he can't pass it??? Like someone said above, it's like buying a new "factory" sports car like a mustang and being told you couldn't drive it. And to Mr. Best at the marina I would encourage a policy to keep your employees opinions to them self's as it does take all the boaters to generate enough Revenue to have employees. TO EACH THEIR OWN. THIS IS AMERICA:::.. You know, The land of the free.

Donzi 7 years, 3 months ago

"predominantly liberal atmosphere in Lawrence". And that is good thing and why we all thought an article would help bring this ill conceived law to light. Along with making about 1/2 of the boats in the marina's illegal, it is almost unenforceable due to the complicated SAE measuring standards. Anyway, my boat is the second most expensive thing I own (I realize I am opening myself up to cheap shots here from reading previous posts). It is now illegal to use on any lake in Kansas not due to sound but due to the Captain's Call installed by the factory. I can live with a reasonable sound law but this is nuts. The anology of the Mustang is not too far off. The boat in my drive way cannot be used now. In good consciousness, I can't even sell it to someone in this state. What are the boat dealers doing? The are STILL selling boats with Captains Call on them. Just a side note to Masttop, there are about 1 or maybe 2 boats on Perry that have the twin, 1200 to 1800 hp engines in them and they are not there very often. That is not anywhere close to typical.

harleygirl 7 years, 3 months ago

I also believe mamabearku's comment was well said. I have been boating/camping at Perry Lake since I was a child. The sound of boats going across the water is just part of being at the lake. I don't own a loud boat, but don't have a problem with it. Everyone has their own preferences. We should all share the lake regardless of the vehicle. I do propose that the noise ordinance be changed. Maybe they should just make a curfew for those above 86 dcb. Like a 10pm curfew. I am sad to see people being pushed away from the lake who have been enjoying it with everyone else for years. I hope a solution is made before next boating season. And FYI for some of you above - I am a girl with a Harley Davidson and loud pipes. Loud does not equal insecurity or indicate a small "dock"!!!

Hoots 7 years, 3 months ago

I use to boat and the loud boats were a rare annoyance. On the other hand everytime I eat outside downtown I have to put up with loud Harley after loud Harley. I don't know too many people who are impressed by these people who ride up and down Mass repeatedly reving the motor. These bikes are so loud they shake the glass on the buildings sometimes. Who does anything about this? I know those bikes don't meet noise ordanance standards. I wish they would crack down on that.

Boater1 7 years, 3 months ago

Here is my 2cents...As for many people posting comments about "Big Loud Boats" And "Small Docks"..GET A LIFE...As for being "RICH" to own a big loud fast boat..You must not know to much about these boats.. I have boated on Lake Perry for many years also, And the noise is part of the lake..Wether it be from a Power Boat or a House Boat..The bottom line is if there is going to be a Noise Law..It should be enforced FAIRLY...The water patrol needs to enfoce the people that party to much and run around our lake risking others lifes.. Just so you "other boaters" know..These Power Boaters are very carefull and very observent when running around the lake at speed..Look what they have to watch for...PWC'S, skiers,and other boaters...LOUD PIPES SAVE LIFES

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 3 months ago

JOEHAWK (Anonymous) says: Harley I love boats have owned many in my life. When you are sitting in your boat with your music pumpin out so the whole cove can hear and then some jerk comes along with his loud boat, you have to turn up your music. Loud boats are penis compensators, not like my loud music.

Interesting post, Joedumba$$. Pumpin' music so loud the whole cove can hear YOUR loud musical tastes, yet you are offended by someone's loud boat. So offended, in fact, that you have to turn your pumpin' music up even louder so the rest of the people in the cove can REALLY enjoy your music now. I've heard morons like you drive by in your cars with your stereos "pumpin'" (is that the word??). And you can turn your stereo down? After having disturbed how many people? Well, boats can idle too. It's lucky I'm writing this (I assume you can read) and we're not face-to-face, 'cause you'd be screwing up your face and sayin'...."huh"...."whachdya say?". Do you even comprehend the ironic stupidity of what you wrote?

KUDRAMA 7 years, 3 months ago

Damn save it for the playground kids

indainoutlaw 7 years, 3 months ago

its funny sitting here reading small minded comments that are just personal attacks from people that probably can't even find their local lake, let alone know anything about boating. i'm 36, been on perry since they made infant life jackets, and yes i own a power boat. i bought my boat and have not done anything but enjoy it, it has all the factory exhaust and it's louder than 86db. it's not much louder than that but it is louder. i don't have a problem with having some sort of mufflers on boats, but the db rating should be at least 91db which is the Coast Guard standard.

power boaters rich people?!!? more than 85% of boat owners in general that i know are hard working hourly people paying their taxes and just trying to enjoy life on the weekends.
yeah i make payments on my boat, so what about it!? i'd rather make payments on my toys than a new car like most of you do. as for a speed limit?! shut up. for what the 4 boats that can do over 80!? for the 4 boats that can run that well but hardly ever do?! the fact that NO ONE has ever even had a close call on one of those boats running at speed?! thats stupidity at it's finest. you what to save lifes? fine the hell out of the skiers and tubbers that run "X" patterns on the main channel with NO rear facing spotters!!!

the power boat crowd is like the classic car guys, with all the time, money. blood sweat and tears that go in to power boats, we are the safest group of boats out there cause we don't want to scratch them. sure we have close calls, i like to give every boat i'm going to pass at least 200 yards, but that 200 yards gets eat'in up in the blink of an eye when somebody doesn't look over their shoulder before making a hard turn.

Boater1 7 years, 3 months ago

Very good points made BajaChick, KUDRAMA, And Poorboater... Poorboater..Thank you for bringing your hard earned money to our state...

Boater1 7 years, 3 months ago

Hi I am Boater1's wife, half owner and driver of a power boat, and our home lake is Perry, have been going there for many many years. First off let me tell you, my husband and I both work 40+ hours at an hourly wage to live the life we choose to live, and for some of you unfortunetly that includes boating.Yes my boat is also over 86db, but I purchased my boat prior to the law being set earlier this year, and my boat is factory. I am very sorry a select few of you that are no where to be found at Perry have a problem with the sound of raw horsepower (or do you know what that sounds like?) . Let me ask you this, for those of you from Perry, what is the duration of time you hear us "powerboaters" and on what days of the week? If I am not mistaken it is 90% of the time on a Saturday of Sunday, unless it is a holiday weekend, on these days you hear us for a maybe a total of thirty minutes. If you can't plug your ears or close your windows for thirty minutes, well then I believe you have bigger problems.

gccs14r 7 years, 3 months ago

Some of you guys have a reading comprehension problem. Lake Patrol is measuring the 86db from 50 FEET AWAY, not right next to the boat. If you fail the 50' test, then they take you to the dock and see if you fail 91db at idle from three feet. If you fail the 3' test, THEN you have to pull out of the lake.

Boater1 7 years, 3 months ago

What lake are you on because that is not the case, yes that is the way the law states but WP is not enforcing it appropriately.

tomchgov 7 years, 3 months ago

Just a little info for you guys,

Kansas statute is 86 db at 50ft per J2005 and 86 db per J34 (both) J2005 is a boat in place test ,engine at idle. The WP has adjusted their meters to allow them to do the test 3ft from the back of boat instead of putting their boat 50 ft behind the boat being tested J34 tests the boat wile underway at 50ft or more and again the limit is 86db. Pass one, but flunk the other you are still in violation and WP can still remove you from the lake.

OK law 90db (just j2005) and only between the hours of 9pm through 9am Missouri law 90db( just j2005) if you boat was built after Jan. 1st. 1996.

OHHH!!! I gota go. My lawn tractor sprinkler is exceeding 86db I don't want my water shut off.

Kristi Bahr 7 years, 3 months ago

kudrama - excellent speech!

Indian Outlaw - the driver and payment maker of my powerboat :) The statement about being like owners of classic cars - that is exactly the way power boat owners are!!! The safest boaters you'll ever find!!

Let me tell you all a little about water patrol at lake Perry on Labor Day weekend...They were so busy stopping and checking for loud boats - two WP boats stopped and talking to each other missed a boat that went right past them (not more than 30 yards away) that had smoke BILLOWING out of the engine compartment. Yes, people, you would have thought the boat was on fire (ended up being burning rubber hoses from the sea impeller). Anyway, one opening the engine hatch, another standing very visably with an extinguisher, and the third grabbing life vests. Where were the WP when needed? Checking boats for noise less than 30 yards away. They missed the smoke, the sight of the extinguisher, another boat pulling the stalled boat to the docks. We've got some winners here, I'll tell ya!!

Before I spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to make my boat quieter - I'll spend my money going to a different state. Then we'll see what happens to Kansas Corps lakes. With no revenue coming in from boaters, it'll put a hurtin' on the lakes, marinas, nearby towns. And it WILL happen if 86 decibels is enforced. Bring up the limit, then you'll see a lot of happy boaters!

I'll step off my soap box now....

riverdrifter 7 years, 3 months ago

Since the Hamms are dumping their boats and they'll no doubt have a little chump-change laying around, I'd say try one of these: http://www.zodiaccz7.com/index.php Wait 'til a November cold front comes through with 3' waves and Perry is yours and yours alone -save for a few duck hunters -like me. Same with Tuttle Creek, only waaay bigger seas. I took a ride on one on Gitche Gumee last summer with 2 meter waves and it was, er, thrilling.

hottruckinmama 7 years, 3 months ago

as far as i'm concerned the louder the better. that goes for boats, pick-ups, motorcycles and v8 automobiles. if i can't hear it rumble its to damn quiet. the first place i headed when i bought my new truck was to the muffler shop for a dual exhaust. then i put a bumper sticker on the back window. it says "too loud? too bad.

brew_crew122 7 years, 3 months ago

The Lawrence tree huggers voice their opinions again....makes me sad to say I work in Lawrence. I'll take the sound of a big block (or 2) anyday. My parents live less than a 1/4 mile away from the lake (perry marina) and hardly ever can they hear the noise of a boat. As a matter of fact my dad sometimes sits outside just to TRY & hear the sound of a hard earned dollar. Also, the targeted powerboats normally do nothing more than leave the marina & go cove out. It's not like they are ripping around all day & night. To those who believe in the enforcement of the ordinance, I ask you to spend a weekend at the lake, and see if it's really as bad as you think. (Former boat owner)

matahari 7 years, 3 months ago

rockchlknative O G eekhead, and the dictionary has more than one definition of 'native' too!

yes, my family owns a 40' boat....yes, I love loud boats motorbikes fireworks, you name it as much as the next person and yes, I hate more restrictive laws.... no, I am not down on my luck but I have been... I just think inconsiderate people should be called on their behavior...

your statement was "rich, very rich!" Oh gee, I found yet another use for the word! Gaaalleee Jethro~!

just ask santa nicely and you may get a dictionary for christmas

Sloughoverlook 7 years, 3 months ago

Don't know who Brewcrew's parents are but we live right next to corp property and have to listen to these boats at all hours of the day and night. Wasn't that way when we built the house in 96. We don't mind the occational sound of a boat, we have one, but these 35 foot inboard v8s that tear down the lake at 70mph should be banned at a lake the size of Perry. Take them to Lake of the Ozarks.

Kristi Bahr 7 years, 3 months ago

Sloughoverlook - have you seen the size of Perry lake? There's PLENTY of room to go fast there! Powerboat owners are smart enough to know when a lake is too small to travel fast on.

What gets me is that people who pull tubes in the main channel. that's just ludicrous!! There are plenty of coves for tubing and skiing!! It's just stupid to pull tubers and skiers when there are boats in the main channel. Not mention most of those that don't have a rear facing spotter and flag to let boaters know their pulling something. That's a LAW!!! ]

99.9% of powerboats only go as fast as they can near the dam - from one end to the other. AWAY from all other boaters. Open your eyes, and your ears. My parents live in Lake Ridge Estates, the noise doesn't bother them - at ALL! They LOVE to go for rides in our boat. That's what "living at the lake" is all about. Lake life - it's my hobby. Yours may be walking through a peaceful quiet forest, hearing birdies cheep. Mine is listening to the roar of a powerful engine, feeling the wind in my face, the freedom of choice.

Hobbies are like opinions, everyone has one. So back off and let me have my American freedom! I'm not hurting anyone. I'm more than likely more of a safer boater than most out there.

And if you don't have a power boat - you've never experienced the feeling you get when you're traveling 60+mph on water, so shut up about it! It's like when a marching band passes you and you can feel the drums within you, it's mesmerizing. It's an adrenaline rush, it's indescribable, really.

And, if that's not you're thing - go elsewhere to get your kicks, you're not welcome with us! But, on the other hand, powerboaters are the nicest, most polite people you'll ever meet. And if you'd get off your high-horse, we'd give you a ride to experience what you don't understand.

Boater1 7 years, 3 months ago

My boat was LEGAL in 1996...You dont wanna move...WE DONT EITHER!!!!!!!! As for us "PowerBoats" Screaming around in the middle of the night...We are smarter than that..Have you got out of bed in the middle of the night to SEE a powerboat at night????

Kristi Bahr 7 years, 3 months ago

Boater1 - ab-so-tute-in-lute-ly correct! You never see or hear powerboaters at night. What you hear are the houseboats at night!!

Our boat is a 1996, and is still from the factory original....

If all you hi-falutin' lawmakers want to do something about boats - make the new boats have emission controls, like automobiles do. Carbonmonoxide is MUCH more harmful than the loudest boat on the lake!!!

justtired 7 years, 3 months ago

this is front page--but the head on collision in north lawrence isn't even in the paper,

tomchgov 7 years, 3 months ago

Hey Sloughoverlook, you forgot to add the sound of the trucker with his jakebrake on going down fergerson road and the harleys rumbling down corp roads. Also if you are hearing these boats don't assume there are a 35ft go fast. Fact is, there are more 35ft house boats on lake perry with no mufflers and running 12 miler per hour at 4500 rpm for 45 minutes. Think 70 mph is too fast??? Better go after the 18ft ranger fishing boat with a 300 horse merc hitting 75 mph just to hunt that 12" blue gail. By the way, recent studies show that the high horse merc outboards at speed are just as loud as a big block sport boat.

Kristi Bahr 7 years, 3 months ago

oh - one other thing you should notice about powerboaters - when everyone is leaving party cove - the drivers of the powerboarters are sober. You can't say that about most other boaters:..

gccs14r 7 years, 3 months ago

Being the loudest, most obnoxious person around is something you're supposed to grow out of after high school. It's possible to be fast without being loud.

classclown 7 years, 3 months ago

Change the subject matter to smoking ban and this thread has basically the same replies.

Kristi Bahr 7 years, 3 months ago

We're not trying to be loud - that's how they come from the factory!!! Jeesh! Some people, I swear!

KUDRAMA 7 years, 3 months ago

I agree with Bajachick, It's the fact you purchase a factory performance boat and it's illegal to operate because your new purchase was 2-4 dbs over the old statue that is now being enforced. I feel a viable solution would be increase the db limit so a factory thru hull exhaust would pass in the aprox range 92db and as someone mentioned above setting a curfew for quite time to accommodate our gray hairs and the local whiners. Modified boaters would still be able to make the horsepower their wallet could afford with these standards in place as it has already been proven possible on Perry. My feeling is the current db limit is unreasonable and should be revaluated. As I mentioned above I don't even own a power boat or speed boat but do feel strongly that this so called "power boat" crowd is being singled out and treated unjustly. The power boaters that I have spoken to in the past season has been your typical middle age responsible sober adults that appear to generate a great deal of revenue to our local businesses including both marinas, And these are the people we have put our tax dollars to work removing them from the water??? Who was it again we need to write and call every day. I would lot rather see my tax dollars be used on underage drinking and enforcing negligent boaters and promoting safety on the water. Call me crazy just kind of makes a little more sense to me.

classclown 7 years, 3 months ago

Indainoutlaw many rulers show inches on one side while displaying centimeters on the other. Are you sure you're reading the right scale?

gccs14r 7 years, 3 months ago

"Grow up. Think about others 1st."

You could take your own advice and drive a quieter self-propelled manhood enhancer.

Kristi Bahr 7 years, 3 months ago

gccr - it has NOTHING to do with HAVING money. It's when you bring a group of people in, revenue is generated. The tax on the dollars spent is what keeps Perry Lake open for ALL of us to use and enjoy.

And the sexual remarks need not be mentioned. We stopped with that when WE got out of high school!

KUDRAMA 7 years, 3 months ago

gccs14r you stated "Money isn't supposed to buy you more rights than the rest of us have. If you think it does, maybe you're part of what's wrong with this country." I do not feel that anyone on this post feels if they make 10k/year or 100+ k /year they should be treated any differently then the uneducated near poverty such as your self, I feel most all have had good points, We are not saying the open header jet should not have restrictions but the factory boats producing aprox 91db upon testing should be allowed, Is this so difficult for yourself to understand and/ or comprehend. And your comment "self-propelled manhood enhancer." Your repeated comments only suggest a possible underlying male problem that I might recommend seeking medical attention from your local physician (don't worry they take payments)

Haiku_Cuckoo 7 years, 3 months ago

LOL!! Yeah right!

Are we talking about the same party cove? I'm a boater and I can tell you that at the party cove at Lake of the Ozarks, the drivers I saw were drinking like fish.

imastinker 7 years, 3 months ago

I think he was talking about Party Cove at Perry Lake.

poorboater 7 years, 3 months ago

Having money dies buy a person more rights. It bought someone a law about boat noise.

blametheman 7 years, 3 months ago

I don't blame "go-fast-boats"...that's what they were made to do (although I would never spend the coin to go 6 miles @ full boar then turn around and head back @ 2 MPG). They were made for speed and fun, and true to the nature of the beast 1000's of HP are going to be loud. I have a "ski boat" that I do occasionally anchor @ Perry Lake in the "party cove". It IS obnoxious when a few of us tie up and try to socialize....and all we hear is loud misic and engines. That is an 11K+ acre lake, and like previouslly stated-most "go-fast-boats" are off the water by sundown. If it is such an issue.....why not find your own cove where you can tie and swap stories? You don't seem interested in sociallizing outside of your heard anyway. There are plenty of other areas where you can play loud music, throw down jell-o shots, show hooters, and rev your engines. If you don't like the neighbors....move to a new neighborhood. To each his own, but realize that we all have a common interest. The lake is for the enjoyment of the public.....and often times the noise ruins it for others. Be adults.....be courtious please.

Bud Stagg 7 years, 3 months ago

KneeJERK, appropriate name. read my second post.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 3 months ago

Uh, Joehawk, ......there is no 2nd post. You must click on "Post" after you write. Please feel free to try again. Maybe if you turn your stereo down you could think better.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 3 months ago

....and that's "Knee" to you, buddy.... Only my friends call me "Jerk".

Kristi Bahr 7 years, 3 months ago

blametheman & haiku - the drivers of the powerboats coming out of ANY party cove - 99% of the are UNDER the legal drinking limit. (There are a few - as within any group - that give us a bad name). As for being in party cove - we'll tie up with anyone that has the same respect for the boats as we do. We're in P-A-R-T-Y cove to have a good time. Like you said - if you don't like it - find another cove. And, we are talking about Perry Lake (and ALL Kansas corps lakes) here - not LOTO.

Now - back to the subject, please.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 7 years, 3 months ago

Loud boats are fine, but I think there should be limitation on Jimmy Buffett music. Nothing screams "I'm a middle-aged cheeseball" like a pudgy 40-something white guy in a Hawaiian shirt slurring the words to "Margaritaville."

Also, I've come to notice that most of the ladies who flash their snoobies at the lake are the kind of ladies who look better with their clothes on. Again, it's that middle-aged drunk thing.

blametheman 7 years, 3 months ago

All I'm saying is this......You have been grouped due to "loud and obnoxious" behavior. I am just an observer, but what I have seen @ Perry is not impressive. Honestlly, I think that the immature behavior expressed by a select few with the go-fast-boats has ruined it for those who are peacefull. I think the exhaust ordinance is just a way to keep the peace for everyone that doesn't want to hear songs with the word "pu!!y" in it with kids on their boats, and see nudity that should be seen only in a REALLY dark room.....the law is already on the books-ask for "captain's call" for Christmas.

gr 7 years, 3 months ago

When the global alarmists take over, there will be no boats.

Enjoy while you have them.

Boater1 7 years, 3 months ago

Blametheman''''''' The law will be changed...

Boater1 7 years, 3 months ago

As most of you DONT know...We "PowerBoaters" Started Party Cove At Lake Perry 8-9 Years ago, so YOU find new neighbors or stop by and tie up sometime..You will find We put our pants on one leg at a time just like YOU

Boater1 7 years, 3 months ago

Blamethem, boater1's wife here, I guess I am a little confused, the beer bongs and the stripper poll on the loud and obnoxious pontoons, or the blow up p**is on the house boat does not affend you? Or how about the water balloon launcher that never fails to break something on someone elses boat, or the idiots that rent boats from the marina and proceed to ride and jump off of the top as they go accross the water, or drunk boaters that back out of the middle of a line with out first checking behind them, (this happen to me and I had to push off the back of the reversing boat, hhhmmmm) need I go on???????? I think I would be more concerned about these type of boaters finding new neighbors. Just my two cents.

indainoutlaw 7 years, 3 months ago

why can't people keep this topic on what it's about, the noise laws. since the childish off topic "dock size", "manhood" size stuff thats posted by jealous key board trolls won't stop, so i'll address this head on (pun intrended). i have 9" of "dock space" so i can safely say that i've been in much deeper water than you, yeah i have a power boat, i also have a corvette, and a sport bike. it doesn't mean anything other than i have good taste in toys and have to work twice as hard as you to pay for them. secondly if you don't like what you see in party cove.... don't go! everybody knows where hard working poeple got to blow off some steam, thats why it has it's named PARYT COVE! it's funny that all the pot stiring tolls have a high post count, on a news paper forum! i'm sorry that your life is so boring that your reduced to sitting inside are trying to get a rise out of people with smart remarks on the internet. come on people life is too short, buy a boat, get a tan, come out and have some fun with us!

Missouriboater 7 years, 3 months ago

I found about this article from a boating chat room and I cannot believe all the uninformed, biased, pigheaded responses from some of the people on here. Pinch me I could swear I am reading excerpts from 60s rejects wearing army jackets and driving VW Vans with flowers painted all over them! I agree with Bajachick - POWERBOATERS DO have respect for other boaters, just because we CHOSE to own nice boats and we can afford to buy them doesnt give those of you the right to create laws to ban an american relaxation pastime or boating, I am friends with ALL the powerboating crowd at Perry and you will not find a nicer group of people. These people will go out of their way to help, be nice and respect others.

Since this has erupted I have CHOSE to not patronize KS lakes, and SPend $$$$$ (powerboaters bring in revenue folks!!) My boat has twin big blocks that came FACTORY with thru hull exhaust. It will not pass the BS limit that the state has imposed.... Now MY FACTORY boat that is too loud for Perry that was manfactured BEFORE this law went into effect is now illegal. It really surprises me how uneducated those that are bashing the noisy boats are. Do you have any idea how much it will cost to make our boats compliant?? Hmmm probably not.

Signed keeping my MONEY IN MISSOURI UNTIL THIS CHANGES!!

indainoutlaw 7 years, 3 months ago

all inches and as proud of it as you would be!

i only "flopped" it out there cause that seems to be all some people think about, not the topic at hand.

tomchgov 7 years, 3 months ago

Cool classic boat!!! It's too bad that the motor sports buffs of this state that hosts a nationaly sanctioned drag strip and a very nice NASCAR track won't get to see a vintage classic boat like your friends. At this time you probably better tell him to take it to Oklahoma,(no sound law in the day) they'd probably be very happy to see something as rare and unique as this boat. I bet those twin v-12,s sound awsome.

cjk 7 years, 3 months ago

I must say that the hatred spewed here from the, I assume, non boaters, or non boat owners really amazes me. You are going to get involved in something that does not directly impact your lives and due to your perceived mis-conceptions you are going to try and dictate a draconian measure that is both biased and discriminatory towards one of the smaller, and defiantly more polite and safe segments of the boats at Lake Perry. I have a 29' 1993 boat with totally stock power and have done nothing to alter the horsepower or noise it produces. I have painted and redone most everything so it looks a lot newer than it is, and it does have a fairly decent stereo in it, but I bought my boat for me and my family to enjoy but I am in the same boat as the vast majority of the other boat owners, my 14 year old boat is now illegal to operate on Kansas waterways and I have done NOTHING to change the boat from the way it was delivered in 93.
We have a large group of boaters that travel from the Wichita and Omaha area that CHOOSE to visit Perry lake several times a year, as it is a nice lake with awesome people and it is halfway between Wichita and Omaha. While we are there we spend thousands, if not tens of thousands in Slip rental, fuel, lodging, food, etc. If the lake is going to continue to discriminate against powerboaters, while allowing the cruisers and houseboats to be noisy and go about their merry way, then we will just drive a little further and take our money to Missouri or Oklahoma where they will welcome our business and our money. Once you run the powerboaters off the lake you will see a dramatic change in the way things are maintained and the services available to others. As a small business owner I know if a very profitable segment of my business was being run off by other boaters and legislatures I would have to either fight or reduce the services I could offer. I would recommend that everyone on here that thinks powerboats are so bad to plan on going to the lake and making friends with a powerboater and go out and spend an afternoon on the water. I will guarantee several things; if you allow yourself to, you will have a hell of a good time, you will make new friends, and you will be off the water before dark. I see several comments that the "big" boats should not be on Perry, but I guarantee the first time you run from the dam to the Ozawkie Bridge at 70 plus that you will come back with a grin you have not had on your face since you were a child.

cjk 7 years, 3 months ago

The powerboaters are some of the nicest and courteous boaters you will ever meet, and I guarantee that if you are out on the water and have an issue it will probably 100% of the time be a powerboater who stops to help, more than likely has the tools on board to fix the problem and will give up their time and energy to get a fellow boater back up and running or safely back to the dock.

I apologize for my long winded diatribe but this strikes close to home and I have never been a fan of discrimination short sightedness so I wanted to get a lot off my chest

Have a safe weekend; I am on my way to the lake to enjoy my boat, my family and my good friends

Christian

classclown 7 years, 3 months ago

I have no vested interest in this issue one way or another, but I do have some questions.

Why do people come all the way from Omaha and Wichita and beyond? I would think there are options a lot closer for people to put their boat in the water.

Is it because Perry has been more lax about issues such as noise than those closer? Is it because of Perry's size? Is Perry the Sturgis of the boating world? Is there another reason?

Personally if I had a boat I was looking to put in the water, I would go to the closest place that would reasonably accommodate it rather than bypassing them to lug it across a state or into another state.

There has to be a reason for people willing to go so far.

hopeless_optimistic 7 years, 3 months ago

attention... on friday the 21st, a large bullfrog was escorted off perry lake after registering an 86.01 on the decibal meter. kdwp officials say not to worry, this isnt going to be the case with all bullfrogs. this particular frog in question was a little larger and shinier than its counterparts, thats why it was targeted.

hanni213 7 years, 3 months ago

I vote for outlawing lawn mowers next (hate to mow)...let's pass a city ordinance that you have to get a goat if you want a short lawn.

Kristi Bahr 7 years, 3 months ago

Classclown - "Why do people come from Wichita, Omaha and beyond?" Because we are a group of boaters. We are a group of friends. We all like to meet up a few times a year to get together and have some fun, share stories. Perry just happens to be the only decent sized lake right in the middle of nowhere.... I have been in this group for a year now and I can tell you one thing - the people I have met are a bunch of awesome people!! They'll do anything for you - from throwing you a birthday party to collecting money for you and your family if you or someone in your family is in the hospital.

We don't go to Perry or anywhere else to cause problems. We're not a bunch of hooligans doing drugs or anything illegal. We're not out hugging trees and expect others to be as we are. We range from young single people to granparents and everything in between - just out to have fun with our hobby.

Now we have lawmakers that have NO clue what a decibel is signing "YES" to a ballot. These lawmakers need to investigate these laws. See what THE PEOPLE want. No one asked me what I wanted, or thought about the law. Now it's up to you and me and everyone else to see that fairness for all is done with this law. That's what this country is all about.

cjk 7 years, 3 months ago

We come to Perry as it is almost equidistant between Omaha and Wichita so we can meet up there and have a fun weekend. We alos go to Texoma, Grand, LOTO and up to Omaha on the Missouri River

This is just a spring and fall trip that is easy and allows baots of all size to come down and have a great weekend

rocknrow2 7 years, 3 months ago

All of my family members are part of the same great group of boaters from the Mid-West, yea, one of us does own a Jimmy Buffet shirt or two, but like cjk, we gather at Perry Lake PC to socialize, share stories, and soak up some sunshine. It's a shame the dB law was sandwiched in with a couple of important boating issues! I'm sure it can be ratified, wether or not we have deep pockets!! That's the support we provide for each other! Weather your a member from Omaha, OK, MO or TX, we rally when there is a need!! The need here is simple, fix the problem, the LAW!
As far as bashing on this blog, please folks!!! Sincerely, "Moody Blue" Home Port Lake Perry

SunSoaker 7 years, 3 months ago

I think the point of this article has grossly been missed. Our 1993 boat is now illegal. It was not when we bought it 4 years ago and when we put it up for the winter, now it is, almost overnight, without us knowing it was going to happen. The State of Kansas did not have a problem raising the taxes we pay on this 14 year old boat by $100.00 this year. I sure have not seen a refund from the state on my taxes because not only is my boat illegal to operate in Kansas, I cannot sell it to anyone in Kansas. We, power boaters want to be treated fair. Can anyone please tell me the last time someone was injured or killed by noise on Lake Perry? And can someone tell me the last time a powerboat, a true powerboat, as involved in a injury or death on Lake Perry? Can't really think of one can you. And has the fact been raised that a power boater saved the life of a lady that was in diabetic shock in the cove at Lake Perry? I can recall several times I have stopped my powerboat to help other boaters in need. My husband and I have stopped going to Lake Perry because of all the issues. If we have to sell our boat, Jefferson County will loose taxes from our boat. A local business will loose our storage payment and gas monies. I know we are just one boat but it adds up over time. We are not looking for you all to feel sorry for us, we are looking for fairness in the law.

Donzi 7 years, 3 months ago

We have been writing letters, making phone calls, was interviewed for a newspaper article (This one, Thanks Christine!) and now have had a weeks worth of discussion concerning the Noise Law. Bottom line for a bunch of people who may or may not know it at this time is, their boats could very well be illegal to use in Kansas. I am going to work all winter long to ensure the rest of the boat owners who don't know yet, get totally informed of this draconian law. There is common ground that can be reached through some discussions with the folks who wrote this law. Missouri saw the problems and changed their law which was extremely similar to our current rendition. We can too.

By the way, an interesting note (pun intended!!): The new 2008 Corvette has an optional vacuum operated valve in the exhaust that is designed to make the exhaust flow more freely, making more horsepower and noise! Will they be legislated illegal?

Boater1 7 years, 3 months ago

Very Good Points Made Here ......Treasurer...Kansas Power Boaters Association...

boatgirl 7 years, 3 months ago

I have read all of these posting. There are several more important issues at hand, rather than the noise. Saftey is definately a concern as the boats get bigger and bigger, but we all need to share the beautiful lake and respect others that are on there. There is room for everyone! I have a larger boat and respect all of the smaller boats that are on the lake. I choose not to run wide open for fear of injurying someone who does not realize how fast other boats are going. But like wise the smaller boats and jet skis also need to becareful and understand the rules of the lake. Whether infront of a large boat or smaller boats they have no right to be cutting in front of ANY boat to jump wakes or cut circles inattempts to throw off their passaneger. For example the death at Perry Lake this summer invovling the man on a jet ski. This was a terrible tragedy. However all of us boaters see more and more people boating who don't understand boating laws like those of us who have boated our entire lives. It is very concerning the way that water patrol has been testing nosie levels at Perry, extremely dangerous! We have witnessed them making these larger boats run on a wide open pass within 100 feet of their boat to monitor sound. This seems very dangerous for the boat and water patrol or anyone else who may be in the area. As for captain call, it was desgined to allow boats with louder engines to shut off the noise -especially when docking in areas where people are staying on their boats. The sound really echos off of the tin roofs of the docks. When we are out late at DJs we always use captians call untill clear of the docks out of respect for those that might be sleeping or just simply enjoying the night on the dock with friends listening to music. I aggree wtih those that suggest a compromise. As a female boat owner and driver it seems that the large boats are being unfairly penilized..what about the houseboats with no mufflers? They are louder than my boat. And the stereos in boat now, talk about loud and obnoxious! One can't even hear themselves think with them around. Perhaps there are several changes to be made at Kansas Lakes so that everyone can enjoy the envirnoment to the fullest. If not than Kansas Lakes will loose alot or revenue to other lakes!