Archive for Friday, September 14, 2007

Pagan Pride Day celebration set

September 14, 2007

The Douglas/Shawnee County Pagan Pride Day will be celebrated from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Oct. 6 at Burcham Park, Second and Indiana streets.

An auction will be conducted to raise money for Operation WildLife. There will be a potluck dinner, tarot card readings, workshops and vendors.

Merchants interested in participating should contact Kerry Johnson at 856-8777 or pagan_idolator@yahoo.com.

Comments

lounger 7 years, 7 months ago

Americorps> Im not slamming true christians im slamming people who use christianity as a means to thier gain! Im a peganistic/Buddah/Christian and I dont appreciate you assuming you know me from one paragraph. I think T-R-U-E christians are very cool but also very rare.

pagan_idolator 7 years, 7 months ago

If it freaks you out too much just don't go. See how easy that is? You can spend the day reading your bible.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 7 months ago

And biblical verse would be matter to we Pagans why, Parkay?

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 7 months ago

Damn!! I hate it when I see a typos as I hit "post!!!"

lounger 7 years, 7 months ago

Pegans bring to our attention a connection to the earth that "so called" christians have forgotten about. Christ refers to the earth over and over in the book of john. If your a true christian you would be all for it! There is room for everybody. Dont judge-remember??? I cant wait to go! We are all connected to the earth no matter what we think-draw a breath of air and you will see what I mean!!!!!

Cait McKnelly 7 years, 7 months ago

I may not "inherit the kingdom of God" Parkay but neither will I go to hell since I don't believe in either place. Kinda nice not having the ultimate banhammer held over my head. I'm just kinda surprised you didn't come up with Exodus 22:18.

geniusmannumber1 7 years, 7 months ago

Isaiah 37:6-7 "Tell your master, 'This is what the LORD says: Do not be afraid of what you have heard-those words with which the underlings of the king of Assyria have blasphemed me. Listen! I am going to put a spirit in him so that when he hears a certain report, he will return to his own country, and there I will have him cut down with the sword.' "

So put that in your pipe and smoke it, Assyrians!

Cait McKnelly 7 years, 7 months ago

Stereotyping and pigeonholing people based on their beliefs is disgusting. Shall I judge every priest as an abuser based on the actions of a few? (Not bloody likely when one of the sweetest, kindest men I ever knew was a Redemptorist Father.) Is every Mormon a Warren Jeffs? One of my friends belongs to The Society for Creative Anachronism. She dresses up in armor and long dresses and plays at Renaissance festivals. She's also an ardent Episcopalian. I have another friend who is a 50 year old successful owner of a restaurant. She puts in 12 hour days seven days a week. She's also a pagan. You might also consider this; pagans are part of the people who fight for your freedom. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/dec/03/war_widow_dedicates_plaque_pentacle/#c254143 Now slam that.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 7 months ago

Yup, there be a lot of Assyrians 'round here.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 7 months ago

I read on Wikipedia that the Assyrians "invented excavation". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyria So...apparently...We know our Assyrians from a hole in the ground!~) Sorry...couldn't help it.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 7 months ago

Flap Doodle 7 years, 7 months ago

What!? Oh, come on now. I didn't use '*'s to disguise a curse word or anything.

kugrad 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm not exactly sure what it means to be a Pagan. Can anyone fill me in? Jokes welcome too, but I am wondering exactly who would be included in this group and why.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 7 months ago

I didn't think that Lounger was generalizing all Christians, but only those that talk the talk but don't walk the walk in terms of love, acceptance, etc.

Again, for you biblical quoters: It appears you are under the impression that providing a some blood thirsty biblical verse is going to make a Pagan (Muslim, Hindu, or Buddhist for that matter) go, "Wow! You got me!! OK I'm saved!" Don't think so . . . I don't think ill of Jesus, mind you, I just happily follow a different path.

JJ, that was good!! No need to apologize.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 7 months ago

A Pagan is someone outside of the big 3 (Judaism, Christianity and Islam), even so I have met a large number of Christo-Pagans and Judo-Pagans - Can't say I have met any Islamo-Pagans, though. Here's a pretty good explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca

erod0723 7 years, 7 months ago

"And Jesus Wept."
Best verse in the bible by far.

Nikki May 7 years, 7 months ago

Galatians is spelled like that. Shouldn't biblical scholars spell their books correctly? (and yes, I know that was lame, but I'm can't help it).

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that a few people made disparaging comments on this blurb and I've never seen rude comments in the Faith section about things that mainstream churches are putting on. I wonder why? Oh yeah, it's called respect.

Sigmund 7 years, 7 months ago

You know what National Breast Appreciation Day is twice as good as Pagan Pride Day and Ramadan combined!

pagan_idolator 7 years, 7 months ago

I guess I should step in here and say all are welcome to attend as long as everyone behaves. Just as if I attended a church service I would treat it as the sacred event that it is. I hold nothing against Christianity or Christ but like Azure happily follow a different path. Punkrockmom - I noticed that too but decided to keep my trap shut since I am representin' and whatnot. Snap - what the heck did you say to get removed?? I just cant imagine it! Americorps - I understand your frustration and agree with everything you say. And finally, Sigmund - come on out and we will also celebrate National Breast Appreciation Day. You can be the judge.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 7 months ago

We know that we are children of the Goddess and the God and that we are loved by them so we have the divine love thing going on pretty well already. Thanks anyway.

Yours is a very ignorant statement, Glock. Big surprise. Not all goths are Pagans, not all Pagans goths, not all Pagans dig RenFairs, not all in costume are Pagans, and the vast majority of the RenFair's attendees are Christians - hence the need to have a abundant supply of Celtic crosses for sale. Ya dig?

A friend and I go every year and if we are so lame looking would we be persued all day by people eager to have their picture taken with us? (we happily oblige and vogue) I have yet to encounter someone so moronic as to ask us about our living arangements. I am happy for that, too, as the stress associated with resisting the urge to provide a sound bell ringer with my staff, rather than just an icy stare, would be a real buzz kill.

Many Pagans have been alienated from narrow minded parents 'cuz they ain't right with Gawd. Pagans are self sufficient people because we have learned personal responsiblity and ownership of our choices thus I have not known too many to still be living with their parents. So as you are rectally asphyxiating, you may want to reconsider your posture.

Sigmund 7 years, 7 months ago

I'll pass on the invite. But thanks, very kind of you. Also thanks for seeing the topical humor in my smart "a" remark. I wonder if the Muslim community would have been offended?

Godot 7 years, 7 months ago

Where is the ACLU? This is use of government property to promote a religion.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 7 months ago

Siggy, dude, a great many Pagans have a very robust appreciation for breasts. Every day is breast appreciation day. The body is beatutiful . . . some parts more than others . . . oo-o-o-o-oh show me your achilies tendon shuddering with delight

Oh, look! Another blow hard heard from. Church picnics, potlucks, BBQs sporting evets, weddings, Easter egg hunts, etc., etc. have for some time and without impending litigation happened in every public park in the county, and look who is now bringing up the ACLU.

What a schwantz.

pagan_idolator 7 years, 7 months ago

If the gubment was promoting a religion by letting us use the park I am pretty sure they wouldn't have charged us rent for the day.

nokesmw 7 years, 6 months ago

Hello, magic is a foot...pagans from Douglas and Shawnee County working together way cool: Peace.