Archive for Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Speed believed factor in student’s crash

September 5, 2007

Baker student still in critical condition

A 20-year-old Baker University student injured Sunday in a rollover accident is in critical condition tonight in a Kansas City hospital's care unit. Enlarge video

A 20-year-old Baker University junior was listed in critical condition in intensive care Tuesday after she was injured in a rollover wreck Sunday south of Lawrence.

Molly K. Larson, Vancouver, Wash., remained at Kansas University Hospital after she was extricated from her 1997 Nissan Pathfinder that had rolled at least three times Sunday afternoon on County Road 1055, about 2 miles south of Lawrence.

According to a Douglas County sheriff's accident report released Tuesday, two witnesses said Larson appeared to be driving 70 to 75 mph when she passed them minutes before they came upon her accident. The speed limit on that stretch of road - which has no shoulders but is paved - is 55 mph. The accident report also listed driver inattention as a contributing factor.

Larson wore her seat belt.

Baker University organized a prayer service Tuesday night at the Baldwin City campus, spokesman Steve Rottinghaus said.

Comments

turbie1022 6 years, 7 months ago

How dare any of you judge what kind of a person Molly was?! She was the most amazing human being... she had an incredible passion for life and compassion for everyone around her. Don't for a second believe that any one of you not guilty of doing something wrong in your own lives. You have no right to pass judgement unless you are God himself... for not a single one of you is perfect. Today we lost an amazing human being and alll you can do is gripe about people speeding? Give me a break! Molly and her family are the most amazing people I have ever met, but I would not wish this accident on my worst enemy. Would you really? Please just take a step back and realize this is a tragedy... and not in the slightest a case of "she got what she deserved". If you knew this family and the hardships they have gone through... I can only pray that none of her family members read the slander you have so carelessly written. Please think before you speak in the future... We all loved Molly dearly and will miss her tremendously. So like the other person said... stop and say a prayer that it wasn't your daughter or someone you loved.

wildcat24 6 years, 7 months ago

She passed away. Stop being critics- on either side. Say a prayer. She lost her life

sunshine9 6 years, 7 months ago

My point was that it is not OUR place to condemn her.

cowboy 6 years, 7 months ago

say a prayer for the young lady..and slow down life is a lot more pleasurable if your not in a hurry

lubyloo 6 years, 7 months ago

This road was just re-surfaced last week with new chip and seal materials. When it was first done, there was a lot of loose gravel material that (I think) goes away over time with use of the road. But for awhile, there was quite a bit of gravel and I could see that possibly contributing to this accident, especially given the speed factor.

Calliope877 6 years, 7 months ago

I agree with Pywacket. I'm sure there are going to be some mean comments made eventually, but I think most people are going to hope for the girl's recovery and that maybe she learned a lesson from her ordeal.

Pywacket 6 years, 7 months ago

Ragingbear~ christ on a crutch! Do you think there was never an accident before cell phones? Don't you think--just maybe--that 75-mph speed on a narrow road that has no real shoulder couldn't have been enough, if the driver lost focus for just an instant? Broken Record Award to you.

sunshine9~ I expect that everyone who has posted or will post is pulling for that girl--that she will make a complete recovery. I know I hope she will. However, that does not excuse her apparently reckless disregard for her own life and the lives of others. Thank goodness her arrogant driving didn't kill any innocent people. What if that man interviewed in the previous article had been mowing between his wall and the road when her several-thousand-pound vehicle came cartwheeling off the road? He'd have been dead, that's what. Or what if someone in a car or on a motorcycle or bicycle had been innocently driving south and ended up in the path of her spectacular meltdown?

Baker held a prayer vigil. Good for them. I hope they saved some of their prayers for all the other students who think that whatever they're doing is so much more important than what everyone else is doing that it gives them the right to blow by people as if the others were standing still (or to tailgate them for a mile or so before they get an opening) and to disregard the laws of the county, of courtesy, and of common sense.

I can't tell you how many times, on that same road, I've been first tailgated, then passed by similar rude and arrogant students--and I am not a slow driver. Nobody wishes a horrific accident on them, but I would love, just once, to come upon them on down the road, pulled over to the side with a cop writing them a nice 20-over ticket. Too bad this one wasn't caught by a deputy before she had the chance to wipe out.

Having compassion for Ms Larson doesn't preclude feeling irritated with her for bringing her suffering upon herself and (even worse) for endangering others. If she were my daughter, you'd better believe I'd feel the same--anger and anguish fighting for the upper hand.

sunshine9 6 years, 7 months ago

This is an extremely sad situation. A young woman is clinging to life. It's too bad that people aren't more interested in taking the time to say a little prayer for her, rather than to type up judgmental comments about someone they obviously don't even know.

juststrugglin 6 years, 7 months ago

We live on a gravel road between Lawrence and Eudora and people who drive it think its the new Kansas speed way. Everyone. Cell phones might have played a role, but I'm guessing just plain stupidity is the main cause.

Ragingbear 6 years, 7 months ago

Speed? Could possibly cell phones have played a role as well?