Archive for Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Pendleton’s folly popular on YouTube

September 5, 2007

Reader poll
Whose performance Saturday against CMU is least likely to be proven a fluke down the road?

or See the results without voting

-->
-->
New offensive strategy works for KU

No huddle, get to the line of scrimmage, take your time, check the defense, get a signal from the sideline, then snap the ball. Enlarge video

Mangino happy with RBs

Conventional wisdom says two heads are better than one. Enlarge video

As tough as it is to return punts - much less one for a 77-yard touchdown - it's kind of crummy that Raimond Pendleton has gained Internet fame for what he did wrong.

But it is what it is, and Pendleton became a household name around the sports world this week based on his appearance on YouTube (caution: explicit language).

Pendleton's clip is unedited footage from a television station showing the Kansas University sophomore returning the punt for a score against Central Michigan, doing a showboating dive into the end zone and getting a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. It then shows KU coach Mark Mangino ripping into Pendleton on the sideline about the flag.

The popularity of the video stems from Mangino's rant, which can be heard clearly in the clip. Beware: the language would make a rapper blush.

The video had around 88,000 views within 48 hours of its upload, thanks to links by popular sports sites all over the Internet. At one point Tuesday, it was the day's 10th most-viewed video on YouTube.

Coaches yelling at their players is normal in college athletics - especially football. But it usually stays between the coach and the player.

Not this time.

"It's everywhere," Pendleton said. "I've had people from my hometown, up here, people I don't even know writing to me saying you're on this and that, and we're hearing this about you. It's really exciting, but at the same time it's kind of embarrassing."

Mangino said Saturday that his point was made and he's holding nothing against his return specialist. Pendleton, meanwhile, manages to chuckle about the whole incident - a little bit.

"I learned from that experience," he said with a smile. "I won't let it happen again."

Of course, Pendleton gained the fame because he initially did something right - with the help of 10 blockers who created a giant lane for him.

Once Pendleton made the second-quarter catch, he noticed the center of the field open up for him in stunning fashion.

"My eyes got so wide," he said.

He had to make a couple of cuts, but the table was set for him to run in and put Kansas up 28-0 over the Chippewas. The Jayhawks ended up winning, 52-7.

"When you look at the tape, everybody got a hat on a hat," Mangino said Tuesday. "Raimond (found) the lane and burst through it. He leveraged his blocks like he's supposed to."

Pendleton, a Garland, Texas, native, will resume punt-return duties Saturday, when Kansas plays Southeastern Louisiana at Memorial Stadium. It's partly based on the 77-yard return, but equally on the punts that didn't make it onto YouTube.

"He had a tough duty the first night," Mangino said. "They had a rugby-style punter (who stepped to his right and swung his leg across the ball, instead of under it). The ball usually is short, but you take a risk. If you move (Pendleton) up too close and the guy kicks a conventional punt, it can sail over his head and pin us down in our own territory.

"The ball (spun) like a helicopter," Mangino added. "He did a good job of keeping it in front of him and knowing which ones to field and which ones not to. We feel pretty comfortable with him right now considering he was put in a tough situation and did a good job."

As for that 15-yard penalty? Well, Pendleton has an excuse for why he dived into the end zone - if you want to believe it.

"I really thought there was somebody behind me," he said, "but I looked later (on film), and there was nobody."

Comments

bmwjhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

"I really thought there was somebody behind me"

That's a, um, lie.

Sharon Roullins 7 years, 11 months ago

I truly don't understand football and after watching the clip on youtube, I still don't understand what the big deal was. I've seen that move often in other games and don't recall any flags being thrown. I truly hope that this incident doesn't shadow their win. Wow, it's amazing what some people won't do to stoke their own egos.

Bubbles 7 years, 11 months ago

so what, he dove into the endzone? ?????????????????????????? As usual a liberal that doesn't grasp the concept of self discipline.

staff04 7 years, 11 months ago

I guess you have to make some judgment about his intent...he sure didn't appear to be making a desperate dive for the goal line, in my opinion.

BigAl 7 years, 11 months ago

Actually, diving into the end zone will draw a flag every time in college football. We also had a flag thrown last year when one of our players dove into the end zone against K-State. I think the flag is thrown for "excessive celebration". (or something like that)

By the way, it is football. Being a liberal or a conservative has nothing to do with it.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 11 months ago

It was a heck of a run! I hope he repeats it several time, and am sure he won't dive again. Good job Raimond!

How embarassing though, Coach Mangino. We now have our own "Bobby Knight chair-throwing-incident" equal.

gogoplata 7 years, 11 months ago

Whats the big deal. He's young, did something he shouldn't have done and got his butt chewed for it. Some of you really should chill out.

trinity 7 years, 11 months ago

ok, i am sure that somebody will be willing&able to explain to a non-football watching/knowledgeable chick such as myself, just why diving in to the end zone isn't acceptable? why is that a rule in the first place?

color me football ignorant. but would like to become more educated about the game, rules, etc.

Bubbles 7 years, 11 months ago

staff04 (Anonymous) says:

"As usual a liberal that doesn't grasp the concept of self discipline."

I'm a liberal, and I was also both an athlete and an official. I think he deserved a flag.

As usual, an assh*le tries to hijack a thread. ????????????????

Since it appears you have anger issues its probably good that you are no longer an influence in the sport.

staff04 7 years, 11 months ago

You're right, BUBBLES, that was a bit harsh. What I should have said was, "As usual, BUBBLES tries to hijack a thread and hurl politically based insults in a completely unrelated forum, thus making him/her an assh*le, in my opinion."

Does that work better for you? :)

So my insult offended your fragile senses...I have naughty language. Whoopsie.

perkins 7 years, 11 months ago

I've gotta side with Coach on this one. Maybe the chewing out will prevent a game-losing penalty later in the season. And college athletes aren't fragile flowers; they can withstand a cussing from the coach in the heat of battle.

countrygirl 7 years, 11 months ago

Gee, maybe we should ask Adrian Peterson from Oklahoma about how smart it is to dive into the end zone just for fun. He got hurt doing the same last year and cost himself a chance at the Heisman plus his team lost him until their bowl game. Not a smart play. Make Pendleton watch that tape a few dozen times and I'll bet he doesn't do it again.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 11 months ago

What TOB said. It is against the rules and was a well-deserved call. Darnit. Still a heck of a beautiful run.

acg 7 years, 11 months ago

pilgrim, I have no idea who paul brown is and don't care, so I don't get your reference. I'm not sure if you were being rude, funny, agreeing, disagreeable or sarcastic. Not everyone studies every player, coach, rule, etc. Some of us have lives. What I wrote was my opinion. No matter what anyone says, I still think they should be allowed to celebrate a victory or rub it in when they rock and someone else sucks. They are, after all, supposed to be grown men that can handle it.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 11 months ago

Anybody else find the play-calling strategy (line up, get set, stop, QB looks to side, gets 'real' play, uses call or calls new play, sets, runs play) annoying? I thought it made the QB look indecisive.

acg 7 years, 11 months ago

Hehee, well you got me there gootsie.

acg 7 years, 11 months ago

staff04 7 years, 11 months ago

staff04 7 years, 11 months ago

LJW editors, I realize it was out of line, but if you are going to take down the first incidence of the allusion to the offending word, you should take them all down.

acg 7 years, 11 months ago

Either that or because I told the idiot to go play in traffic. Either way, to whomever whined, boo-hoo, you big babies.

jayhawks71 7 years, 11 months ago

What a stupid rule, if there even is one. Excessive celebration? I see nothing excessive about it. And if you can't celebrate a great play then the game has lost all meaning. Fans celebrate great plays that they had no part in, yet a player can't? As for the comment about "self control" people expect their athletes to play on a level that straddles the border between being in control and being out of control. If they aren't pushing that line on every play, they aren't going to be any good. Yet, as HUMANS when they step across that line (I don't even think that was the case here), they get penalized and chastised? If anything, getting on the player's case for the potential of injury was more important than for "showboating."

Mangino should get a mirror at the dinner table and see an example of lack of self control. I'm no prude when it comes to the F bomb, but Mangino needs to first, learn to find a constructive way of letting his player know the problem with his action (had no flag been thrown, Mangino would not have yelled at him) and two, he needs to get himself under control or an ambulance will be taking him to the hospital after his on-field heart attack. I am more disgusted by Mangino's tirade than a guy diving into the end-zone.

kujayhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

I thought he deserved a flag and I thought he deserved to get his a$$ ripped by MM.

jumpin_catfish 7 years, 11 months ago

coach overreacted plain and simple! great run back and nice little dive.

waydownsouth 7 years, 11 months ago

My son in little league waved behind his back to the players as he went for a touch down. I thought it was funny. He got a flag on that. Never did that again. But its a story to tell people. You learn your lesson and get on with it. No big deal.