Archive for Saturday, September 1, 2007

U.S says detainees are more disruptive

September 1, 2007

Advertisement

— "Mass disturbances" are up sharply at the Guantanamo Bay prison this year despite a security overhaul and the release of dozens of prisoners, according to a new U.S. military report.

A one-page report titled "Danger Inside the Wire" said there were 385 mass disturbances in the first six months of 2007 compared with 201 for all of 2006, an increase of more than 90 percent with half the year still to go.

The military declined to provide details about the incidents. A Guantanamo spokesman, Army Lt. Col. Ed Bush said the category includes assaults or "other acts" involving at least three detainees that were intended to disrupt operations at the detention center, where about 355 men remain held without charges on suspicion of terrorism or links to al-Qaida or the Taliban.

The report also showed that several other disciplinary categories - including "forced cell extractions" and "assault with bodily fluids" - are on pace to match or exceed last year's totals despite the fact that there are fewer detainees and most now are kept under tighter security in the newer, more modern sections of the detention center in Cuba.

Military officials say the numbers show that detainees are still dangerous.

They "continue to wage war by employing various tactics ... to either harm the guard force or bring international attention upon themselves in order to obtain release and return to the fight," Army Col. Bruce Vargo, the commander of the Joint Detention Group at Guantanamo, told AP in an e-mail.

Bush said the "mass disturbance" category does not include the long-running hunger strike at the detention center.

Several attorneys who represent detainees said they suspect the military's definition is overly broad.

"Perhaps any collective action is the basis for what they call a mass disturbance or there is just something going on that nobody knows about," said David Remes, a Washington attorney who visited clients at Guantanamo in August.

Military officials have described Guantanamo as relatively calm compared with 2006.

Comments

Ragingbear 7 years, 8 months ago

I am sure the disruptions don't have anything to do with people being held for years in a 6x4 cell with bright lights always on overhead with music blaring at levels loud enough to permanently damage hearing with long term exposure without even being charged with a crime.

Jeremy Lichtenauer 7 years, 8 months ago

Club G'itmo

Your Tropical Retreat from the Daily Stress of Jihad.

Apparently my glass is half full!

Ragingbear 7 years, 8 months ago

Jeremy, the big problem here is that there is little to no proof that any of the Gitmo detainees are actually guilty of anything. One such case was a normal Iraqi civilian that was used briefly as a translator because he knew some English. After he got done translating, he was rounded up and sent to Gitmo.

It's not just "enemy combatants" that are being sent their either. Recently, people that blew the whistle on corruption, theft and other blatantly illegal activities in the service were sent to Gitmo.

There is also the matter of torture. People have played down things such as Waterboarding, bombardment of light and sound 24-7, and the sleep and food deprivation techniques used there, but if any American were to endure even 24 hours in such a condition, they would be jumping up and down about the situation there.

There have been no charges, no proof levied in most cases, they were denied contact with their home embassies and legal representation. Many of the people in there are considered classified, and loved ones believe they are dead, or worse.

Ragingbear 7 years, 8 months ago

Georgie boy has stated that since they aren't abiding by the Geneva Convention that it liberates us from it in regards to them as well. This is not the case, nor was it intended to be that way. The members of the UN are to live up to these rule regardless of whether or not the opposing side is following such rules. Think of the Vietnam "conflict" and the Korean War. In both cases there were numerous violations by the enemy of the Geneva convention, yet the US and other countries on our side followed the Geneva Convention. And don't give me that line of "Well, those were different situations, so the rules are different.". Bush would have you believe that an enemy combatant would only be authorized military personnel that are on some sort of registry somewhere backed up by government support. In Vietnam and Korea, there were countless situations where civilians committed everything from kidnappings, picking people off with sniper rifles, setting some of the most horrid booby traps in history and even gasp suicide bombings. And guess what? There was a third party there, those that wanted both sides out. Were they considered military combatants and kept in prisons without proof of some sort for years on end? No. While they would round up suspected individuals, they would be required to release them or turn them over after a certain period of time and at least a military tribunal, or charged with a crime and given representation of some sort. During this time they were still treated by the tenets of the Geneva convention. Despite the accepted fact that the Allied POW's were subjected to absolutely horrid treatment of being slowly tortured to death.

The other statements about valuable information being gathered is also bunk. While it may be that they have garnered some true information, people subjected to torture long enough will confess to anything, even if it means that they will be subjected to death, or even death by torture. Look at the Inquisition and the Witch Hunts that are commonly referred to as the Salem Witch trials.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.