Archive for Friday, October 19, 2007

Judge won’t lower bond for suspect in attack

October 19, 2007

Defense attorney Carl Cornwell

Defense attorney Carl Cornwell discusses Matt Jaeger's bond reduction hearing today. Enlarge video

Matthew P. Jaeger, 22, is charged with aggravated kidnapping, aggravated battery, aggravated burglary and making criminal threats

Bond will remain at $850,000 for a Kansas University senior charged with attacking a female acquaintance.

The attorney for Matthew P. Jaeger, 22, asked this morning that bond be lowered to $50,000 - and said Jaeger's family would pay the entire $50,000 to free him from jail.

Douglas County District Judge Robert Fairchild denied the request.

Jaeger is charged with aggravated kidnapping, aggravated battery, aggravated burglary and making criminal threats.

The charges stem from an incident reported about 1:30 a.m. Oct. 9 at North Winds Apartments in the 1200 block of George Court.

Lawrence police have declined to release any information about the incident, but the victim described the attack in detail in an application for the restraining order.

She said Jaeger broke out a window of her second-floor apartment about 1 a.m. Once inside, she said, Jaeger punched her in the head, knocking her out. She awoke, covered in blood with injuries to her vaginal area. She said she was forced into a car that Jaeger's friend was driving, and at that point she thought her life was in danger.

Police eventually pulled the vehicle over, and the woman was taken by ambulance to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Comments

Warren6032 6 years, 10 months ago

I, for one, am eager to hear exactly how all of this is some big misunderstanding.

Kontum1972 6 years, 10 months ago

the kid does wrong..and mom and dad come to his rescue with 50K..what does that say about that whole family?

I would not bail my kid out if he did something like that to another human being..he could rot in prison.

Think of all the money wasted on his tour of duty at KU....something to be proud of Mom and Dad, no one will hire this clown now.

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 10 months ago

Matthew P. Jaeger = pond scum.

He won't do well in prison. Next to pedophiles, those "men" who beat up women are at the bottom of the pecking order. He'll get his, and when he does, maybe he'll be thinking about how it was for the girl he beat up.

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 10 months ago

Smitty, that is strange. Perhaps the journalistic interest of the driver was overshadowed by the other guy pegging out the horror meter. The driver should be next. She did ask him to take her to the hospital. God only knows what they were planning to do.

thomgreen 6 years, 10 months ago

Actually, I was thinking the same thing kneejerk. I think that is as much of a telling sign as anything that there isn't anyone on here defending him.

Alia Ahmed 6 years, 10 months ago

Maybe the DA is going to make a deal with the driver in exchange for his testimony?

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 10 months ago

It doesn't sound as if a deal needs to be made. What's the Webster's of "red handed"? Both these dirtbags need to go away.

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 10 months ago

spywell (Anonymous) says: kneejerkreaction: Your such a know-nothing. What else can I say. "Pecking order", Lol. Where did you hear that wife beaters are on the same level as sex offenders. That the stupidest thing I ever heard of, lol.

lol....and spywell you're such a dp**t...lol. Oh and....lol. And, you can't even read. She wasn't his wife. lol moron lol

flutter 6 years, 10 months ago

Spywell--"Just" punched her??? "Just" busted in??? "Just" kicked her in the crotch a few times????? You are so ridiculous that I don't even know where to start.

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 10 months ago

You know spywell, I was wondering where the greaseball idiot was that would try and defend poor Matt, and, lol, you showed up. Your defense logic reeks of greaseball lawyer. Are you? (and I almost forgot...lol)

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 10 months ago

And, spy., just so you know lol I got my misinformation about prison culture....from beng in prison....no lol there blowhard...but blow just the same lol

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 10 months ago

flutter (Anonymous) says: Spywell-"Just" punched her??? "Just" busted in??? "Just" kicked her in the crotch a few times????? You are so ridiculous that I don't even know where to start.

spywart kinda boggles the mind don't he?

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 10 months ago

Spywell, I honestly can't recall ever reading anything so stupid on any blog on any subject on the ljw as your previous. You....are....S.T.U.P.I.D. pitifully stupid

Veritas 6 years, 10 months ago

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzus.

justthefacts 6 years, 10 months ago

spywell cannot spell and did not get all the facts straight and shows a remarkable lack of sympathy for the suffering inflicted upon a victim. HOWEVER - I don't know that he defended the defendant as much as he pointed out how the system works. I think that he/she got a few things right, whether the words used were well chosen. The truth is that coming up with $50,000 is not that difficult for someone who owns a home and has equity in it. So unless someone here knows for a fact that this defendant's parents are in fact filthy rich, it is not safe to assume that is true. And the milking the parent's dry for legal fees is another indication that spywell is not talking theory, but rather has some personal experience with the criminal legal system. Sounds to me like spywell has some knowledge of how the system works, up close and personal (for whatever reason). The only fly in your ointment "Spywell" may be the amount of bond. If the judge thought this was such a "minor" assault matter, how then do you explain that high bond?? Isn't that over and above what most assault defendant's are given??

that_will_do_pig 6 years, 10 months ago

I cannot stand it when people post on these boards, arguing with each other, meanwhile blatantly ignoring any grammatically integrity. Seriously, Spywell, how can any of your arguments be taken respectfully when you haven't even attempted to render yourself intelligent on the most basic of levels? Learn to spell.

that_will_do_pig 6 years, 10 months ago

ha... i knew that was going to happen, the second I yell at someone for bad grammar; meant to say, regarding "grammatical integrity."

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 10 months ago

Good sense if you are the defense lawyer who'll get paid big $s for coming up with nonsensical defense rationale. Here's some more sense for you:

1. Breaking & entering;
  2. Kidnapping.
  3. Attempted murder;

And the driver gets accomplice to all. Will be interesting to see if the DAs office has real balls or cotton balls on this one.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 10 months ago

time and time again I see people posting on criminal issues and calling for strict punishment and proclaiming what they believe should be done... in the end... after the case plays out... either through plea or goes to trial all these posters are left baffled... even stunned... when justice ends up looking quite different than what they had in mind...

again... spywell made good sense here... and in the end... much of what he/she has posted will likely ring true on this case...

and: screw grammar and spelling: it's for school teachers: I'll take someone who can think: any day:

gogoplata 6 years, 10 months ago

I would sentence him to 10 minutes in a cage with Randy Couture. Let him try out his jiu jitsu skills against him.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 10 months ago

an intellectual must be able to spell and have good grammar? funny... I know what my best beloved intellectual teachers would have thought about such "thinking": rubbish...

in the months to come we will find that spywell has shown considerable insight here...

etc123435 6 years, 10 months ago

spywell- You really need to SHUT-UP! I think you are just trying to aggravate everyone on here.There are more important things about this trial than your misguided opinion and asinine " I think I know what happened" theories!. ARE YOU the get away driver???? LOL. You are not even close to being on the same page with this unfortunate incident. Let me assure you the poor girl was stabbed, not punched or kicked. It will be up to a jury to decide if it is attempted murder. Please read the facts on this case and don't bore us with your uneducated, I know what happended theories. Believe me you are way off track!

davem29 6 years, 10 months ago

See this link if you want the graphic details...I can't believe people treat others like this...

dirkleisure 6 years, 10 months ago

Matt has some serious psychological and substance abuse problems. That is why they were trying to reduce the bond, so he could get out of jail and into treatment.

Watch the video - the attorney is 180 degrees from the father when it comes to the kid's role in this incident.

yankeelady 6 years, 10 months ago

I think the only treatment he needs now is serious jail time. if the family knew he had "serious problems" why wait until something like this happens? Maybe earlier treatment would have been of some value. Before someone got hurt.

etc123435 6 years, 10 months ago

Spywell- You haven't given us any of your thoughts on the ax he had with him? You think he just always carried an ax with him just in case he had to trim his nails!!!! This is so cut and dried-- black and white. If his family was so well off whats another 30-40 K. Can't get a line of credit for the extra? He is probably safer and better off in jail than out on the streets of Lawrence. Don't think he would last too long if he were to have bailed out. They can and will have counseling for him in jail for all his many issues. Probably already have. Just a shame his parents weren't worried about his mental well being and substance abuse prior to this horrific incident. I am sure this behavior just didn't pop up overnight. It is something that his parents didn't want to take the time to deal with. It would have made a lot of people's lives much happier, including their own. So very sad.

mom_of_three 6 years, 10 months ago

If we need great grammar skills to post on these forums, then i will be in trouble.
It's WHAT you have to say that's most important....

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 10 months ago

stuckinthemiddle (Anonymous) says: in the months to come we will find that spywell has shown considerable insight here:

bullocks

doc1 6 years, 10 months ago

I hope he goes to Lansing. I have a family prison guard working who would love to leak information about what this guy did to the other inmates. In the meantime the other guards can laciously look away. And if your wandering if they could really look away... They can, and do.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 10 months ago

smitty, I had the same same reaction. I hope the driver is charged!

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 10 months ago

Depending on what caused the bleeding in her crotch area, Mr. Matt may be gone for a a long time. If he carved on her with a knife, I don't think juries will be too sympathetic. For some reason known only to him, the judge has once again refused to lower bail. There has to be something worse behind this. Worse than it sounds would be bad. Really bad.

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 10 months ago

What's this about his ties to other countries? I thought he was from Chicago. Ju jitsu doesn't make him Brazilian. Or did I miss something?

Fatty_McButterpants 6 years, 10 months ago

Face it, none of you know what the actual facts are. You are ALL speculating based on "facts" as reported by the Lawrence J-World. There's a reliable source...