Archive for Friday, October 19, 2007

Judge won’t lower bond for suspect in attack

October 19, 2007

Defense attorney Carl Cornwell

Defense attorney Carl Cornwell discusses Matt Jaeger's bond reduction hearing today. Enlarge video

Matthew P. Jaeger, 22, is charged with aggravated kidnapping, aggravated battery, aggravated burglary and making criminal threats

Bond will remain at $850,000 for a Kansas University senior charged with attacking a female acquaintance.

The attorney for Matthew P. Jaeger, 22, asked this morning that bond be lowered to $50,000 - and said Jaeger's family would pay the entire $50,000 to free him from jail.

Douglas County District Judge Robert Fairchild denied the request.

Jaeger is charged with aggravated kidnapping, aggravated battery, aggravated burglary and making criminal threats.

The charges stem from an incident reported about 1:30 a.m. Oct. 9 at North Winds Apartments in the 1200 block of George Court.

Lawrence police have declined to release any information about the incident, but the victim described the attack in detail in an application for the restraining order.

She said Jaeger broke out a window of her second-floor apartment about 1 a.m. Once inside, she said, Jaeger punched her in the head, knocking her out. She awoke, covered in blood with injuries to her vaginal area. She said she was forced into a car that Jaeger's friend was driving, and at that point she thought her life was in danger.

Police eventually pulled the vehicle over, and the woman was taken by ambulance to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Comments

Warren6032 6 years, 6 months ago

I, for one, am eager to hear exactly how all of this is some big misunderstanding.

DotsLines 6 years, 6 months ago

From the Chicago Tribune story davem29 linked to:

""The defendant's father has indicated he will take personal responsibility for his son pending disposition," Cornwell's motion states."

Yeah, he's done such a stellar parenting job so far.

spywell says:

"I still have not read anything about a knife, ect123435, keeps talking about it?"

Also from the Tribune story: "According to published reports, authorities found an ax, a martial arts knife and a Bowie knife in the car."

dirkleisure says:

"Matt has some serious psychological and substance abuse problems. That is why they were trying to reduce the bond, so he could get out of jail and into treatment."

His problems are not an excuse. We don't give someone who kills another person while driving drunk a break because he's an alcoholic. And treatment, while a good idea, may not be all that's needed to "fix" this kid. I used to work in a program for teens who were arrested for substance related charges, a kind of diversion program that was just one weekend. On Sundays we had the families in, and you could tell they thought it was a big imposition to be missing football for their kids' problems. I remember one time a father saying "Don't the police have anything better to be doing than arresting my kids for drugs?" Every time I read about a father like Jaeger's, I think of him. Wish I remembered the kid's name, I'm sure we could track him down through one of the inmate locator systems.

Fatty_McButterpants 6 years, 6 months ago

Face it, none of you know what the actual facts are. You are ALL speculating based on "facts" as reported by the Lawrence J-World. There's a reliable source...

spywell 6 years, 6 months ago

TheEleventhStephanie: I read somewhere last week that he had ties to Brazil and the middleeast. The judge ordered his passport to be taken. The judge knows best I would say.

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 6 months ago

What's this about his ties to other countries? I thought he was from Chicago. Ju jitsu doesn't make him Brazilian. Or did I miss something?

spywell 6 years, 6 months ago

Justthefacts: The judge gets to see the complaint and the complaint, as it is now, does demand a high bond. The defendants ties to other countries are a factor. As for the people who can't read you should not even think about understanding my post. But I can understand your anger, I'm not defending Jaeger, just telling you how it works. I still have not read anything about a knife, ect123435, keeps talking about it?

hawkperchedatriverfront 6 years, 6 months ago

geeez..........you guys/gals need to go to the Chicago news....hint: cbs3.com

much more interesting?

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 6 months ago

Depending on what caused the bleeding in her crotch area, Mr. Matt may be gone for a a long time. If he carved on her with a knife, I don't think juries will be too sympathetic. For some reason known only to him, the judge has once again refused to lower bail. There has to be something worse behind this. Worse than it sounds would be bad. Really bad.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

smitty, I had the same same reaction. I hope the driver is charged!

doc1 6 years, 6 months ago

I hope he goes to Lansing. I have a family prison guard working who would love to leak information about what this guy did to the other inmates. In the meantime the other guards can laciously look away. And if your wandering if they could really look away... They can, and do.

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 6 months ago

stuckinthemiddle (Anonymous) says: in the months to come we will find that spywell has shown considerable insight here:

bullocks

mom_of_three 6 years, 6 months ago

If we need great grammar skills to post on these forums, then i will be in trouble.
It's WHAT you have to say that's most important....

etc123435 6 years, 6 months ago

Spywell- You haven't given us any of your thoughts on the ax he had with him? You think he just always carried an ax with him just in case he had to trim his nails!!!! This is so cut and dried-- black and white. If his family was so well off whats another 30-40 K. Can't get a line of credit for the extra? He is probably safer and better off in jail than out on the streets of Lawrence. Don't think he would last too long if he were to have bailed out. They can and will have counseling for him in jail for all his many issues. Probably already have. Just a shame his parents weren't worried about his mental well being and substance abuse prior to this horrific incident. I am sure this behavior just didn't pop up overnight. It is something that his parents didn't want to take the time to deal with. It would have made a lot of people's lives much happier, including their own. So very sad.

yankeelady 6 years, 6 months ago

I think the only treatment he needs now is serious jail time. if the family knew he had "serious problems" why wait until something like this happens? Maybe earlier treatment would have been of some value. Before someone got hurt.

dirkleisure 6 years, 6 months ago

Watch the video - the attorney is 180 degrees from the father when it comes to the kid's role in this incident.

davem29 6 years, 6 months ago

See this link if you want the graphic details...I can't believe people treat others like this...

etc123435 6 years, 6 months ago

spywell- You really need to SHUT-UP! I think you are just trying to aggravate everyone on here.There are more important things about this trial than your misguided opinion and asinine " I think I know what happened" theories!. ARE YOU the get away driver???? LOL. You are not even close to being on the same page with this unfortunate incident. Let me assure you the poor girl was stabbed, not punched or kicked. It will be up to a jury to decide if it is attempted murder. Please read the facts on this case and don't bore us with your uneducated, I know what happended theories. Believe me you are way off track!

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 6 months ago

an intellectual must be able to spell and have good grammar? funny... I know what my best beloved intellectual teachers would have thought about such "thinking": rubbish...

in the months to come we will find that spywell has shown considerable insight here...

bennyoates 6 years, 6 months ago

again: spywell made good sense here: and in the end: much of what he/she has posted will likely ring true on this case:

and: screw grammar and spelling: it's for school teachers: I'll take someone who can think: any day: +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Spywell is a pinhead who has once again shown that he can neither think straight nor express himself intelligently.

As for the assertion that grammar/spelling and thinking are mutually exclusive, well, it's the kind of anti-intellectual B.S. that most likely comes from someone nursing a frustrated grudge against teachers. Plenty of stupid statements on internet message boards, but yours is at the top of the stinking heap.

gogoplata 6 years, 6 months ago

I would sentence him to 10 minutes in a cage with Randy Couture. Let him try out his jiu jitsu skills against him.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 6 months ago

time and time again I see people posting on criminal issues and calling for strict punishment and proclaiming what they believe should be done... in the end... after the case plays out... either through plea or goes to trial all these posters are left baffled... even stunned... when justice ends up looking quite different than what they had in mind...

again... spywell made good sense here... and in the end... much of what he/she has posted will likely ring true on this case...

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 6 months ago

Good sense if you are the defense lawyer who'll get paid big $s for coming up with nonsensical defense rationale. Here's some more sense for you:

1. Breaking & entering;
  2. Kidnapping.
  3. Attempted murder;

And the driver gets accomplice to all. Will be interesting to see if the DAs office has real balls or cotton balls on this one.

that_will_do_pig 6 years, 6 months ago

ha... i knew that was going to happen, the second I yell at someone for bad grammar; meant to say, regarding "grammatical integrity."

that_will_do_pig 6 years, 6 months ago

I cannot stand it when people post on these boards, arguing with each other, meanwhile blatantly ignoring any grammatically integrity. Seriously, Spywell, how can any of your arguments be taken respectfully when you haven't even attempted to render yourself intelligent on the most basic of levels? Learn to spell.

ThatGirl 6 years, 6 months ago

Actually, in Spywells defense, he sad "kicked her in the crouch". Perhaps she was crouching in attack mode??

Obviously kidding. There is no defense for his moronic post. Don't give him the pleasure of responding to his drivol.

justthefacts 6 years, 6 months ago

spywell cannot spell and did not get all the facts straight and shows a remarkable lack of sympathy for the suffering inflicted upon a victim. HOWEVER - I don't know that he defended the defendant as much as he pointed out how the system works. I think that he/she got a few things right, whether the words used were well chosen. The truth is that coming up with $50,000 is not that difficult for someone who owns a home and has equity in it. So unless someone here knows for a fact that this defendant's parents are in fact filthy rich, it is not safe to assume that is true. And the milking the parent's dry for legal fees is another indication that spywell is not talking theory, but rather has some personal experience with the criminal legal system. Sounds to me like spywell has some knowledge of how the system works, up close and personal (for whatever reason). The only fly in your ointment "Spywell" may be the amount of bond. If the judge thought this was such a "minor" assault matter, how then do you explain that high bond?? Isn't that over and above what most assault defendant's are given??

Veritas 6 years, 6 months ago

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzus.

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 6 months ago

I was going to write something about how stupid, thoughtless, and just plain dumb spywell's post was, but kneejerk and flutter have pretty well said it.

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 6 months ago

Spywell, I honestly can't recall ever reading anything so stupid on any blog on any subject on the ljw as your previous. You....are....S.T.U.P.I.D. pitifully stupid

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 6 months ago

flutter (Anonymous) says: Spywell-"Just" punched her??? "Just" busted in??? "Just" kicked her in the crotch a few times????? You are so ridiculous that I don't even know where to start.

spywart kinda boggles the mind don't he?

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 6 months ago

And, spy., just so you know lol I got my misinformation about prison culture....from beng in prison....no lol there blowhard...but blow just the same lol

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 6 months ago

You know spywell, I was wondering where the greaseball idiot was that would try and defend poor Matt, and, lol, you showed up. Your defense logic reeks of greaseball lawyer. Are you? (and I almost forgot...lol)

flutter 6 years, 6 months ago

Spywell--"Just" punched her??? "Just" busted in??? "Just" kicked her in the crotch a few times????? You are so ridiculous that I don't even know where to start.

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 6 months ago

spywell (Anonymous) says: kneejerkreaction: Your such a know-nothing. What else can I say. "Pecking order", Lol. Where did you hear that wife beaters are on the same level as sex offenders. That the stupidest thing I ever heard of, lol.

lol....and spywell you're such a dp**t...lol. Oh and....lol. And, you can't even read. She wasn't his wife. lol moron lol

spywell 6 years, 6 months ago

Kontum: Your a kown-nothing as well, any adverage middle class family can raise $50K, ever heard of a line of credit. I gess thats just for home owners though, you probly wound'nt know about those things. But I'm glad Fairchild has a little understand, I mean its not his first day on the bench.

smitty: your right on. But there's that lets make a deal additiude from Bransons office and he's waiting to see what Cornwell's going to cornwhole him with. Next gess, plea, and 61 months in prison. Remember he did'nt actually kill anyone and domestic crimes are considered differently than if it were a stranger. Check the hidden court records at the courthouse, agg. battery domestic and agg. battery to a stranger, they are a different language when its time for sentencing.

Besides, he may have punched her and then kicked her in the croch a few times. Thats my gess, and thats the defence's plea angle. So the defence's angle will be downward reduction of charges for a plea. So, we have Agg. burg., Agg. Battery, criminal restraint. The attempted murder and kidnapping charge will get tossed. Branson, he won't need this drivers testamony, so why is he not in jail? Here's why. He could of told the cops that his friend called him to pick him up and then he tossed her in the back seat and said, "drive", and the friend's (driver) defence will be just that. Weak, too weak for conspricy or aiding, in the after the fact arguments. Remember, they were going to the hospital, so the driver's the hero, lol. The most damaging evidence will be in the cell phone records of the driver and the defendant. If calls were made with- in a certian time-line, Branson's office could have a case of conspircy on the driver and the defendant. However, money is a factor, and Cornwell, has a decision to make. Wavy the pre-lim ? Go straight to trial? Branson could bust him down and break'em if these phone records are intense enough.

However, if not, this guy could get out in 38 months or less. So, if he just busted in and punched her and then kicked her in the crouch several times causing some tissue damage and bleeding, he's going to get treated differently at sentencing. Cornwell's a good trial lawyer and there's tools and there are sharper tool's. Milking his parents dry for legal fees through a jury trial will not be to their son's advantage. If their smart, they come to the table with a plea arguement. Leave him in jail and hope for a deal. Branson's office has the ball and well see what kind of investagors we have building a conspiricy case against the driver.

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 6 months ago

It doesn't sound as if a deal needs to be made. What's the Webster's of "red handed"? Both these dirtbags need to go away.

Alia Ahmed 6 years, 6 months ago

Maybe the DA is going to make a deal with the driver in exchange for his testimony?

thomgreen 6 years, 6 months ago

Actually, I was thinking the same thing kneejerk. I think that is as much of a telling sign as anything that there isn't anyone on here defending him.

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 6 months ago

Smitty, that is strange. Perhaps the journalistic interest of the driver was overshadowed by the other guy pegging out the horror meter. The driver should be next. She did ask him to take her to the hospital. God only knows what they were planning to do.

smitty 6 years, 6 months ago

Nothing in any of the news reports that an arrest was made of the driver or charges pending against him by the DA. Why??

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 6 months ago

What? No one defending poor Matt?

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 6 months ago

Matthew P. Jaeger = pond scum.

He won't do well in prison. Next to pedophiles, those "men" who beat up women are at the bottom of the pecking order. He'll get his, and when he does, maybe he'll be thinking about how it was for the girl he beat up.

Kontum1972 6 years, 6 months ago

the kid does wrong..and mom and dad come to his rescue with 50K..what does that say about that whole family?

I would not bail my kid out if he did something like that to another human being..he could rot in prison.

Think of all the money wasted on his tour of duty at KU....something to be proud of Mom and Dad, no one will hire this clown now.

smitty 6 years, 6 months ago

Where are the aid and abet charges against the driver of the car? Detectives? If you want to support the victim, where are the charges against the driver of the vehicle?

bennyoates 6 years, 6 months ago

So, at least in this case, and at least so far, money doesn't talk.

Bravo, Judge Fairchild. Lots of people like to tear down our judges these days. Let's hope you get some credit.

If Mr. Jaeger is proven guilty let's hope his well-to-do family makes some of its resources available to his victim, whose life is forever damaged.

cool 6 years, 6 months ago

NO BOND / flight danger too great.