Archive for Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Rain causes problems; flood warning rescinded

October 17, 2007, 2:28 p.m. Updated October 17, 2007, 5:00 p.m.

Torrential rains in Lawrence were starting to cause problems around town Wednesday afternoon.

A flash flood warning was issued by the National Weather Service at 1:44 p.m. for Douglas County, northeastern Franklin County and northern Osage County. The warning was rescinded at 4:45 p.m.

The National Weather Service said the four inches of rain had fallen at Eudora/

At 2:30 p.m., officials said a car slid off the road on Interstate Highway 70 between the Lecompton Interchange and the West Lawrence exit.

The rain was also causing some closings:

¢ The Lawrence High School C-Team Soccer game scheduled for this evening has been canceled due to the weather.

¢ East Heights' Parents as Teachers group meeting at Schaake's this afternoon has been canceled.

Jennifer Schack, 6News meteorologst, said Lawrence's official rainfall total, as of 3 p.m., was 1.27 inches.

"It should lighten a little bit through the next couple of hours," she said. "At this point we're not in the best location for severe weather - that will be to the south of us."

Comments

The_Voice_of_Reason 9 years, 1 month ago

ehhh... it's just a wee bit of a sprinkle.... fine Kansas weather it is...

Tychoman 9 years, 1 month ago

reads headline: This just in: Sun blocked from view when sky is cloudy. Wetness ensues when it rains.

dolphins4321 9 years, 1 month ago

The_Voice_of_Reason - not sure where you are, but over here on the west side of Lawrence, it has been pouring down rain for awhile now!

jfcm77 9 years, 1 month ago

On a day like this a person should be cuddling with their kitties...

cowboy 9 years, 1 month ago

its a lovely day , get out in it , went out to take care of cows / horses / and kitties and it was so nice , you won't melt if ya get wet , honest !

thecuteone 9 years, 1 month ago

"The intersection of 23rd and Ousdahl Drive was reportedly filled with water, shortly after 2 p.m. A car was abandoned at the intersection, according to witnesses, and the water started to recede." So the rain started to recede because a car was abandoned?

cowboy 9 years, 1 month ago

Biggest problem there was all the city trucks in the way , drive slow thru water !

GretchenJP 9 years, 1 month ago

I think there's a slight chance of rain today.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 9 years, 1 month ago

I happened upon a head-on collision accident involving 2 cars just east of Rockledge and 6th around 11:40. The older woman in an Aurora appeared to be either passed out or had passed. Very sad.

Ragingbear 9 years, 1 month ago

There was an accident near the Corner Bank on 6th and Wakarusa. By the look of it, a truck following another truck too closely hydroplaned when the one in front of him applied the brakes for the intersection. Caved in the tailgate.

And for you college students who got a new H3 from daddy before you left... 4-wheel drive and ABS does not equal "I can drive just as well in snow, ice and rain as I can on a dry road.".

GretchenJP 9 years, 1 month ago

How horrible. Be careful out there people.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 9 years, 1 month ago

RB says, 'And for you college students who got a new H3 from daddy before you left: 4-wheel drive and ABS does not equal "I can drive just as well in snow, ice and rain as I can on a dry road.".'

Good point. Please take it easy out there. Get to where you are going alive.

chemegirlie 9 years, 1 month ago

Did anyone see the beautiful full double rainbow outside?

compmd 9 years, 1 month ago

I saw the abandoned car when I drove through there around 2:20...looked like a late 80s or early 90s Chrysler New Yorker. The "High Water" signs mean "if you don't have a tall vehicle or a snorkel, driving through here might not be a good idea."

yankeelady 9 years, 1 month ago

The rainbow was beautiful. And our gauge had 3.5 inches in it. Mike Thompson, (channel 4) says we aren't done yet.

camper 9 years, 1 month ago

I saw five cars in the ditch on I-70. 3 of them overturned. Hope everyone was ok. Thankfully I saw no emergency crews. I wish people would slow down when it rains.

GretchenJP 9 years, 1 month ago

Was there a big bang? I missed it but my office sits in a storm shelter so it's hard to hear much of anything.

average 9 years, 1 month ago

Every time I have to drive in the rain, I curse the morons who put the concrete tugboats (pedestrian refuges) on south Louisiana. Before those accursed things, when there was a three-foot deep puddle on one side of the road, people waited for a break and took turns going each way. Now, you have no choice but to gun it and pray you don't flood your engine.

Curtis Lange 9 years, 1 month ago

Remember to turn your headlights on in the rain!!