Archive for Monday, October 15, 2007

Health officials urge action on obesity

State lawmakers under pressure to curb epidemic in children

October 15, 2007

Childhood obesity a BIG problem

Childhood obesity is a growing problem in the U.S. and Douglas County is doing it's part to help. Today kicks off the 'Get Moving' program in area elementary schools. Enlarge video

Reader poll
Should the Kansas Legislature create laws to crack down on childhood obesity?

or See the results without voting

— Obesity among children has become an epidemic, officials said Monday, and should be addressed where they spend much of their time - in school.

"Physical inactivity is killing our children," said Kim Morrissey, a physical education teacher at a Wichita elementary school.

A parade of health officials and instructors urged the Legislative Educational Planning Committee to craft a package of reforms to increase physical education and nutrition instruction.

The panel said it would consider the suggestions when it makes a recommendation to the 2008 Legislature.

Childhood obesity "is a problem that is literally getting out of control," said state health officer Dr. Howard Rodenberg.

Nearly a quarter of high school students and nearly one third of elementary school students are overweight, he said. Annual health care costs associated with obesity in Kansas are about $650 million.

State Rep. Pat Colloton, R-Leawood, and others suggested focusing on middle schools, where physical education is not required.

"At the middle school level, that is where the data shows that kids are really packing it on," she said.

Colloton has proposed $500,000 in middle school grants for professional development of physical education teachers and teaching materials.

Although health officials have sought legislation aimed at childhood obesity, lawmakers last session were not enthusiastic, citing concerns about increasing mandates and getting involved in parental decisions.

But Colloton believes there will be support for the grants.

"When an individual health problem reaches epidemic proportions, there is a responsibility for the state to act in areas where the individual cannot," Colloton said.

State Sen. Marci Francisco, D-Lawrence and a member of the Educational Planning Committee, agreed.

"I'm very much hoping that the Legislature does address fitness in our schools. I also have heard before that if you get physical activity then you do better at learning," Francisco said. "We really need to embrace that if we can."

Comments

jfcm77 6 years, 6 months ago

Badger, do you live in Austin, Texas?

badger 6 years, 6 months ago

marionlibrarian:

I've seen apples on special for 39 cents a pound several times in the last year at the Randall's at MoPac and William Cannon. It's about two miles from my house. There was some 'you have to buy ten dollars in groceries' bit, but if you're doing your weekly grocery shopping (because you checked out this week's circular you got in the mail and you're planning your menu around the sales), you will be spending more than ten dollars, and you can get the special on apples. Sometimes it's nectarines for 59 cents a pound, sometimes it's pomegranates four for a dollar. Just whatever's in season and abundant.

And don't knock the farmer's market, either, folks. It's not actually that expensive if you're not buying the heirloom tomatoes and fancy bread (though I do miss those little pecan pies...). Also, try the Community Supported Agriculture programs. There's a couple in and around Lawrence, and it looks like a few in Kansas City. You can get a grocery bag full of fresh seasonal veggies and sometimes eggs delivered to your home for less than ten bucks if you know where to look.

And imastinker, I didn't own a shovel till I moved here and into my SO's house. Apartment dwellers don't need them. We dig in our container gardens with big spoons and then wash the spoons.

denak 6 years, 6 months ago

I think the reasons for people being obese are complex. There are genetic, economic, emotional/psychological and enviromental aspects to it all.

In my family, my mom and dad and myself are overweight. My brother is slim. Sister is slim. She has one overweight boy and one slender girl. Normal size husband. My son is about 10lbs overweight. I have had foster kids who were overweight/obese when they got here. And overweight/obese when they left. I have had normal weight kids when they got here and normal weight when they left.

Just because a person is skinny or normal weight doesn't mean they are neccessarily healthier than someone who is overweight. You have to look at their other habits and blood work to make that determination. There are normal weighted people with heart disease, diabetes, and cholestrol issues.

As for children, it would be nice if the local rec. centers would let teenagers younger than 16 go in and lift weights. My 15 year old son wants to lift weights but he can't go to Holcomb or the East Lawrence Center to lift weights until he is 16. I realize there are probably liability issues in play, but I think if a child 13 and up wants to lift weights they should be allowed to considering the many advantages to lifting weights.

Also, I think if community leaders are really serious about this issue, instead of taxing our schools to do more, they should develop more places for young people to go to. I have a friend who works at the McDonalds by the theatre and every Friday the kids swarm the theatre and McDonalds because that is the only thing to do in this town. So, they go and load up on theatre popcorn and then go get a Big Mac. Maybe if we had a rollar rink they could do that instead.

If we want our kids to be more active, we should make this a more kid friendly place.

Dena

imastinker 6 years, 6 months ago

agnostick, that whole post is full of crap. Who doesn't have a shovel?

deskboy04 6 years, 6 months ago

How about a Tacoburger at Taco John's? They are good, and good for you.

hawkperchedatriverfront 6 years, 6 months ago

Lawrence wants to up the census count, how about the city commission encourage people over 300 lbs to move here and pay them a bonus. The restaurants would prosper, the hospital would prosper, the home repair industry will prosper (new wax rings for all toilets!!!!) it is a win win !!

Agnostick 6 years, 6 months ago

10 cents per pack... for shipping.

The seeds themselves? The price for a packet of broccoli seeds, for example, varies... from 99 cents to $22.45!!!!!!!!

--Ag

ThatGirl 6 years, 6 months ago

"I can tell by your posts that your idea of "gardening" is visiting the local farmer's market, which, in and of itself, is a good idea! But "69 cents a pack?" A pack of what, ThatGirl?"

I take it back. I meant 10 cents a pack.

marionlibrarian 6 years, 6 months ago

Hey Badger,

"Bananas and apples are routinely less than 50 cents a pound"

Where do you buy apples for less than 50 cents a pound? That is a fabulous deal!

Thanks!

Agnostick 6 years, 6 months ago

ThatGirl (Anonymous) says:

"You know you can plant your own vegetables for about, oh 69 cents a pack, right??..."

imastinker (Anonymous) says:

"Veggies are free if you grow them yourself in the back yard. Get the kids to help with the weeds and they aren't on the TV. This works for poor people too."

"Veggies are free," imastinker? Really?!?!?

Please... allow me...

1) First of all, we need some good, workable soil. If you have a backyard, you'll need to tear up a small patch. Or, as ThatGirl points out, you'll need a few big buckets for "container gardening."

Potential Costs $X.XX for garden tools, cultivating tools to work the soil $X.XX for manure, compost, fertilizer etc. for other soil additives

OR

$X.XX for containers $X.XX for potting soil or potting mix (a scoop of dirt from the yard will not work--it'll harden like cement)

2) Okay, got your garden plot ready? Good! Now all we need is something to plant there...

Potential Costs $X.XX for seeds and or seedling plants $X.XX seed starter containers

3) Now... here's the fun part...

Potential Costs $X.XX increase to your water bill, for watering your plants (more or less, depending on how much rain you're blessed with) $X.XX for a garden hose or two $X.XX for a watering can $X.XX for a water wand or hose attachment

4) Oh no! Spider mites! Squash bugs! Cucumber beetles! Powery mildew!

Potential Costs $X.XX for insecticides $X.XX for fungicides

And then, of course, there's the one big expense that carries no dollar value, that you can never, ever get back: Time.

Look, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here... but the idea that gardening is somehow "free" is a load of beaver biscuits. You don't grow your own veggies because it's cheaper--you grow your own veggies because if you're lucky, the tomatoes don't taste like cardboard, compared to the grocery store tomatoes.

The farmers markets are a great option; sometimes, if you show up 20-30 minutes before closing, you can score good deals on things that the growers would rather unload for cheap, than truck back to the farm (where it'll probably be rotten before next Saturday, anyway).

Veggies and fruits are an essential part of a healthy diet--growing your own is sometimes challenging, and costly. Like everything else in life, you have to work at it.

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com http://www.uscentrist.org http://www.americanplan.org

countrygirl 6 years, 6 months ago

OTTR--did you have a fat girl shoot you down at some point? You sure are hung up on blaming females for the kids being over weight. Dad can take the kid outside and throw a football around or something else sports like to help the kids get some excercise. My son gets told to turn off the TV and go play outside all the time--just like my mom did us.

Godot 6 years, 6 months ago

Ban commericals for prepackaged food of all kinds; ban commercials for soft drinks, ban commercials for fast food restaurants, ban commercials for beer.

There. That ought to solve the fat problem; it will kill our economy, and no one will be able to afford to eat.

Captain_Obvious 6 years, 6 months ago

A lot of the problem can be traced back to Bill Clinton. When he did the fat chick in the oral office it sent a message that fat was cool.

offtotheright 6 years, 6 months ago

Lazy fat moms! That is was produces lazy fat kids. It's easier to stop at fatdonalds than cook a meal at home.

imastinker 6 years, 6 months ago

Why not teach kids how to think in school, and prepare them to be sucessful in life, like teaching reading, writing, math, english, science.

I understand theere's a negative correlation between income and obesity. Maybe it's all the crap like this program that schools try to teach that takes away from the good stuff instead, making kids stupider and therefore more fat?

LogicMan 6 years, 6 months ago

"the parents stay home at night and cook!"

If it went away, bring back "Home Economics" in K-12, and teach kids how to prepare healthy meals for themselves and their families?

ThatGirl 6 years, 6 months ago

Not to be all nit picky, but you only need a large flower box or a 5 gallon bucket for most things. That's the way I always did it, anyway.

Linda Endicott 6 years, 6 months ago

Oh, well, growing your own veggies will work sooo well for all those poor people living in the projects...no yard to plant anything in...

I still thinks it's mainly the lack of exercise...kids don't go outside and play much anymore, that I can see...of course, the parents are paranoid anymore about stranger danger and all that stuff...

We used to be outdoors all the time running and playing when I was a kid...we had TV, but of course no video games or anything like that...and we didn't go out to eat at restaurants very much...that was for rich people...

imastinker 6 years, 6 months ago

adriennerm 6 years, 6 months ago

Just to add another things.....veggies aren't expensive. I buy my frozen veggies from Checkers or Aldi's. I can buy a bag of broccoli for $.99. Now those aren't broccoli florets, it's the chopped kind. However it's affordable and tasty. As far as meat....I can't afford that. We eat chicken thighs a lot. I can't afford boneless breasts. Every blue moon I can get 90/10 ground beef. However it's 73/27 most of the time.

kansas778 6 years, 6 months ago

Goodness people! They simply want to make PE mandatory, what is the big deal with that?!

hawkperchedatriverfront 6 years, 6 months ago

How about the parents stay home at night and cook!

Kansas should become a leader in the nation and not allow anyone moving here to be overweight. All public housing should have weight standards. There is nothing worse than a 300 pound fat woman sitting on the stool and ruining the wax ring.

Not to mention, the waste of food in the state at Buffet lines. This state could be a real leader. Lawrence is looking for a niche? How about Lawrence taking the lead on not allowing anyone off the turnpike if they are too fat?

Captain_Obvious 6 years, 6 months ago

Re-education camps. The government should isolate the offenders, take them to camps, control their diets, control their exercise, provide around the clock education on proper eating habits, proper exercise and proper politics. It is for the common good. We should teach our children to report abuses, like rewarding kids with cakes and treats. Fat kids should be reported to the local political officer er..social worker, the burden on our tax dollars is overwhelming. The drain of resources on our socialist medical system will require pre-emptive initiatives. The war on fat has just begun!! Fat people fart more which also contributes to global warming/greenhouse gases. In the name of Climatology and all powerful Gaia we must stop the fat menace.

adriennerm 6 years, 6 months ago

Foodstamps isn't the problem. There are multipul problems. I fell into one problem...fast food. I am a single mother. I work from 7:30a until 4:30a in Overland Park. Therefore I am gone from 6:30a until 5:15ish. There are times when I get home I don't want to cook. Therefore we go to Subyway, Mr Goodcents, Chinese buffet. I thought that if we avoided McDonalds, Burger King..etc we were eating healthy fast food. I didn't consider the correct servings of fruit and veggies. Or the quality time cooking together in the kitchen.

Now I limit fast food to once or twice a month. However my daughter really doesn't ask for it. We made our first homemade pizza together....didn't turn out well, but it was fun.

My advice to the parents...make cooking a family event. Heck ask your children to cook. My daughter "12" loves to cook. She made me breakfast...yes she burned the heck out the bacon, but that moment will be forever with me....I never remember my trips to McDonalds

badger 6 years, 6 months ago

Actually, confrontation, when I donate to food banks, I do donate healthy food, but thanks for the reminder.

'Veggies are too expensive' is not exactly true. If you buy in season, fruits and veggies are pretty cheap. A 10-lb bag of potatoes is about the same cost as a 2-lb bag of tater tots, but most families with kids will choose the tater tots. Bananas and apples are routinely less than 50 cents a pound, and what about buying a pound of fresh peaches in season instead of a quart of ice cream, and eating the peaches sliced with a little cinnamon on top for dessert? Turnips are an excellent cheap root crop, which can be boiled, sauteed, whipped, put in stew, or slow-roasted with a cheap cut of beef for tasty pot roast. Kale, cabbage, mustard greens and collard greens are all very inexpensive and can be quite good when properly cooked.

Even frozen or canned fruits and veggies are better than nothing. When I was super-poor in college, I'd get the big industrial-sized bags of frozen mixed veggies and throw a couple of handfuls into my ramen noodle, my scrambled eggs, or my beans and rice. It can be done, but too many people reach for the pre-packaged processed foods instead..

ThatGirl 6 years, 6 months ago

You know you can plant your own vegetables for about, oh 69 cents a pack, right?? Costs are a lazy excuse not to feed your family appropriately.

jfcm77 6 years, 6 months ago

I could use an exercise coach.

gogoplata 6 years, 6 months ago

$500,000 of wasted money. I wonder where they get this money?

Jonathan_Jason_McDaniels 6 years, 6 months ago

I think getting together and trying to come up with solutions for child obesity is a good thing!

Just don't ask Coach Mangino to be your spokesman.

Tha would be sooooooooooooooo wrong!

Confrontation 6 years, 6 months ago

I love how people make it sound as simple as "feed them more veggies and fruit." Only an idiot who never shops for him/herself would make it so simple. Have you seen the cost of fruits and veggies? Not every poor family is loading their kids up on McD's and donuts. I know many poor families who are lucky to afford 75% lean hamburger. These families can't afford to buy skinless, boneless chicken breasts. I'd love to see more information for families in regards to portion control and more exercise. Unless you're donating fruits, veggies, and lean meat to the foodbanks, then these people can't afford them. I know some idiots will respond with, "take away their cigarettes and booze, then they'll be able to afford them." Not every poor family has addictions and habits.

JJE007 6 years, 6 months ago

Promote fitness? Wow. What a crazy notion! How could anybody be for that? Promote abuse and hatred! It's the Amerdecan way!

As long as making people fat, lazy (tube o' entertainment) AND/or skinny (diet!) carries such a massive corporate weight into our lives, most will remain fat, lazy and/or skinny. I plan on it, anyway!~)

Now...Let's continue with libertarians slathering on to create more progressives and progressives slathering on to create more libertarians!~)

warcraft1975 6 years, 6 months ago

fat people are fat because they eat to much.so lay off the food and the playstation and you will loose weight.

badger 6 years, 6 months ago

mom_of_three said:

"There are so many other factors to why kids are overweight, but everyone is so quick to blame the parents."

That's because parents are primarily responsible when it comes to the decisions made for a child's health. I doubt that every obese person I see has a thyroid or glandular or genetic problem. That means that some folks are not watching what their kids eat, ensuring that their kids get active, and teaching their children about health and nutrition. Is it the school's responsibility to teach children how to manage their health and diets? I don't think so. It's a parent's responsibility to ensure that their kids are as healthy as they can be. This means promoting healthy food and an active lifestyle, and getting the kid to a doctor to rule out health issues if a kid with a healthy lifestyle is 40 lbs overweight at age 10.

It infuriates me to go out to eat and overhear a parent discussing ordering a salad because "I'm watching what I eat," and then look over and see the already-heavyset kid's dunking his chicken nuggets into his macaroni and cheese and washing it down with a root beer. Minding diet is good enough for Mom or Dad to spend fifteen bucks on a salmon salad with whole-grain rolls, but too complicated for kiddo to be told no, he has to have a vegetable and can't have a meal that's mostly empty calories. A woman actually said, "Well, he screams if I don't let him have a hot dog and fries at every meal, and I can't stand to see him upset." Great, lady, you've taught your kid the fine art of emotional blackmail at age six. You're bigger than he is and you control the TV and the toy supply. Refusing to eat what my mother put in front of me meant I was hungry until breakfast, and you can bet that's a lesson I didn't need many repetitions of. And once I'd learned I wouldn't get anything else, my mom did take note of things I would rather go hungry than eat, and never served two of them in the same meal.

Mom_of_three, if it's not your responsibility to mind your minor children's health, whose is it? I'm sure not ready to cede parental rights to government on that. It's not just about diet and exercise; it's about realizing, "Hey, the fact that my five-year-old weighs a hundred pounds is probably a problem, and I should do something about it. Cause, you know, I'm his parent and all."

Now, since many parents can't or won't effectively manage their children's health, we have a crisis with obesity that will affect the cost of insurance and how tax dollars are spent. Schools can stop contributing to the problem by changing from fatty, starchy processed food lunch to healthier foods, and by reincorporating more active time during the school day, and teaching the basics of nutrition, but that's really as far as government should be interfering in managing a child's health.

deskboy04 6 years, 6 months ago

I am going out and eat a Big Mac and Large Fries...why, because I can!

Agnostick 6 years, 6 months ago

Fatty_McButterpants, there's a lot of truth in what you say, you have some very good ideas, but I have to take issue with your first paragraph. You can tell a child "No!" without damaging their self-esteem; the challenge is figuring out how to do that. I don't think there's a damn thing wrong with consulting a book or a guide for suggestions, ideas, help etc. My wife is a big fan of the "Love and Logic" series (Fay, Cline, et al.), after seeing one of the authors at a professional conference. There's a lot of wisdom in their approach. The "bad parents" you're referring to sound like the "helicopter parents"; Fay and Cline were among the first to provide specifics about this type of parenting:

Fatty, some of the parents that don't read books for help are the ones that end up getting captured on security cameras in the parking lot, beating on their child's head... or leaving their kid with a "babysitter" whose idea of discipline is to plunge a toddler's bare feet into a pot of boiling water.

Consulting a book or a guide doesn't make somebody a bad parent--it might end up being the smartest move they make.

I enjoy reading most of your stuff. Thanks.

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com http://www.loveandlogic.com

Mr_Ramirez 6 years, 6 months ago

Im sure all the critics on this forum are lean and fitness crazed..........................LOL!!!

i can just imagine you chubsters sitting at your pc, chugging coffee, eating cheetohs, twinkies, etc. while at the same time providing important advice to the masses on healthy eating and living.. LOL!!! This is good stuff!

Mr_Ramirez 6 years, 6 months ago

We do not have an obesity problem in Kansas!!

sincerely,

Mangino-saurus

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 6 months ago

Everyone needs to relax and just take a deep breath about this whole 'fat' thing.

Bubbles 6 years, 6 months ago

Ninja-

Hillary said that she is going to pay for our healthcare.

We will all be coverd once she is elected!

just_another_ninja 6 years, 6 months ago

Bubbles - if only it were that easy. (see Bowhunter99's post above)

Logan72 - your laugh has spread its way to me. I had not thought of my post that way. Awesome!

imastinker 6 years, 6 months ago

Just get rid of the television!

It's the best thing we ever did.

Alia Ahmed 6 years, 6 months ago

ninja writes "It's all about the parents. Parents, step up to the plate. Before you know it, they're gone."

That's funny. Maybe they should step away the plate instead. I'm oveweight and don't blame anyone but myself, but that was funny about stepping up to the plate! I know it is serious business and the costs of obesity are tremendous financially, healthwise and in terms of ego but I enjoyed the chuckle this morning.

Bubbles 6 years, 6 months ago

Whats wrong with a fat kid?

Big deal, they may grow up fat and die a couple of years younger than normal. It's their body, can't they do with it what they want?

Bobbi Reid 6 years, 6 months ago

I want to add to my previous comment, that both of my kids are very active... dance, gymnastics, riding bikes, playing outside, etc. We don't buy a lot of junk food, and they drink water and 2% milk most of the time. I too was bigger in school, but I was also a cheerleader, played basketball, volleyball, and ran track. I was not skinny and I am still not, but I am still very active and according to my doctor rather healthy as are my kids.

mom_of_three 6 years, 6 months ago

marionlibrarian 6 years, 6 months ago

This is a tough issue--I am trying to lose a bunch of weight myself. Luckily, I have the best exercise coach in the whole world!

Bobbi Reid 6 years, 6 months ago

My child is 9 and weighs 106 pounds. She is also 4'7". However, her issues with weight stem from a medical problem she has as a toddler. I also have a 2 year old, that weighs 32 pounds and is really short, so it is not about parents feeding their kids crap necessarily, it is also about genetics..ie my oldest is tall like her dad, yet heavier than most. My youngest is short like me, and not as heavy like her sister and they eat the same things..

mom_of_three 6 years, 6 months ago

I have never read such posts from people who have no clue! Yes, this gets me angry. My sister was overweight from a young age, but my dad and step mom were not. (so there goes that reasoning.) She was never a skinny baby or skinny kid. My step mom limited her to sweets, and made her exercise. (there goes another theory, people) My sister would lose a few pounds, but that was it. There wasn't a computer in the house, or video games. (there goes that reason, too) She couldn't keep it off. She saw doctors regularly. She was aware of it, and she was teased about it in grade school. (that didn't help her either) In high school, she participated in track and other activities. She was probably a size 16 or so in high school, but still considered obese. She took Fen-phen, and lost a lot of weight for her wedding, but was never a stick.
Two babies later, and also due to her epilepsy medicine, she is a large woman. but she is an active successful person.

Fatty_McButterpants 6 years, 6 months ago

I might as well throw in my two cents...

The trend in parenting these days is to worry constantly about your child's self-esteem. Parents take "parenting" classes, they read self-help books on "how to be a better parent," and they are constantly bombarded by the message that they need to constantly tell their child that they are "special" and that there's nothing wrong with them. I don't think that any parent worth their salt let's their kid become fat because they want to watch him or her waddle around. I think that kid's become fat because parents do not want to tell their children "no" because they are afraid it will hurt their fragile self-esteem. Plus, I remember reading a study where most parents, seriously, could not tell (or wouldn't believe, you choose) that their child was/is a Fatty McButterpants!

Here's the thing. If your kid is packin' on the pounds - do something about it! Don't just sit and think about it. In all likelihood, YOU could probably stand to lose a few yourself. Start running with your child. Or rollerblading. Or bikeriding, swimming, hiking or walking. Join a Parks & Rec program to get your big butt's moving. Join a gym together.

Stop serving packaged dinners. Those things are absolutely LOADED with preservatives, fat, cholesterol, STARCH, etc. Avoid pastas that aren't made out of whole wheat and only eat those sparingly. Buy fruits & vegetables that don't come in a bag or can. Don't eat white rice. Don't eat white bread. Those are just empty calories since all the nutrients have been removed.

If you go out to eat frequently - order a salad. If you are one of those people that has to have meat with almost every meal, ask for a grilled chicken breast to go with your salad. Ditch the BBQ Bacon cheeseburgers and Coke. Try drinking tea (not the crap that's sweetened worse than soda - you know what I'm talking about), or water with lemon. When I was a waiter I couldn't tell you how many times I had some orca tell me they wanted a diet coke b/c they were on a diet, then proceed to order the aforementioned BBQ Bacon cheeseburger with fries. Come on, the only person you're kidding is yourself. Diets usually don't work because they are morons, not because the diet is flawed.

[stepping down off soapbox] Alright, carry on.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 6 months ago

BTW, watch the whole video.....on the link I posted above......thanks and so far today, you have all made me feel wanted and important.

alm77 6 years, 6 months ago

Weren't we just fighting anorexia and bullemia last time I checked? Seems like its extremism we need to fight, not "fat" or "skinny".

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 6 months ago

You guys think I'm crazy and make this crap up. I've been telling you and I'm trying to offer some help to this "crop" of narcissistic, self-entitled, self-important generation that are quick to blame and opposed to taking personal responsibility. In all probability, these folks are behind the switches at moveon.org or mediamatters.org. We can expose the ugly truth and fix this problem now.

just_another_ninja 6 years, 6 months ago

It's all about the parents.

Parents, step up to the plate. Before you know it, they're gone.

deec 6 years, 6 months ago

Limbaugh, Cheney, Rumsfeld. They're fat, so they must be liberals? What about all them Nascar folk who vote republican?

offtotheright 6 years, 6 months ago

Fat mom = Fat kid!

The mother is usually the one that does the grocery shopping. Especially for the young ones, it is her fault!

Captain_Obvious 6 years, 6 months ago

right_thinker and spywell understand.

Jonas, Let me bring back some memories for you: Give me your lunch or your lunch money...now!

The Fat kid was either the bully or the target of a bully. Code of the school yard. No Dr. Spock crap and no Dr. Phil speak. Kids understand. 30 years ago kids could play tag, smear the queer, dodge ball, etc, etc. Today kids can play neutral games that would drive a lobotomized, medicated zombie nuts. Kids learn their limits from parents and peers. Dr Spock influenced a generation that doesn't know how to parent and those same idiots are not letting kids be kids. The first limit a kid finds is that it isn't ok to gun down classmates and that teachers/parents don't know how to set limits.

juscin3 6 years, 6 months ago

lol right, I thought spywell was on a rampage.... I don't give my kids the extra money to buy out of the vending machines...so they eat the school lunches...

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 6 months ago

Spywell's post is hilarious.

Hey, look, this is more of where our society is heading, which is down the crapper. Why? First of all we're a nation of fat, lazy morons. Secondly, the moveon.orgers and the far-left and all their whole crowd absolutely DO want to turn us into a nation of collectivism/socialism. Libs need to quit listening to Lennon's "Imagine" and try to get a grasp on reality. Is there a song for our time called "Reality"? I was raised in a military family and lived by modest means. I coveted my bike, my baseball glove, bat, balls, hockey stick, BB gun and fixed them when broken and kept moving. I didn't sit around and watch MTV and eat Twinkies and drink chocolate milk all day long. I was out in a swamp, killing frogs, or flying those little balsa wood airlplaines with the rubber band propeller, or going with some freinds purposely at night to an old abandoned house to get a thrill or riding my paper route, or getting a neighborhood game of hockey or baseball going. My mother didn't worry about me, I came home, ate dinner, a little TV and lights out. Now kids have i-this and i-that and clickety-clack on their little keyboards, IM'ing with little chocolate covered fingers. Now Socialists in America want to take the reins and make us all conform. I hope I'm farting dust when that day comes.

jonas 6 years, 6 months ago

Captain-Obvious: So, is that the solution to the question on your posting personality? You just miss being able to bully kids on the playground about being fat and/or stupid? It seems to fit.

MacHeath 6 years, 6 months ago

I was an over-weight kid...not as big as the kid in the photo, however. I dont have a problem with my blood sugar, but I bet that kid will. I may have been that big, had I had access to candy and soft-drinks like kids have today. Quit buying that crap for your kids, and take all those vending machines out of the schools. It really is pretty simple. If we can sue the tobacco companies for damages, why not the soft-drink companies? I really don't see a difference, except that the soft-drink companies CAN advertise to kids. And Spywell, you should care, because the horrid rise in childhood diabeties is going to cost the american public millions in heath care dollars, for years to come.

Captain_Obvious 6 years, 6 months ago

The socialist solution is to take the kids from the parent(s). First for obesity, next it will be because the religion was wrong, or the politics were wrong. Any opportunity for the socialist to impose their indoctrination upon others.

When bullying was taken out of the schools this is what you get. The need for kids to conform, to know their limits and to adapt to those social norms was a natural process. When the 2nd grader was teased for being an eating machine weighing 150lbs he/she would diet to lose weight, to be accepted.

There was value to "Fatty fatty, 2 by 4, couldn't get through the bathroom door." I good teasing from your peers was a great compass for how to act, how to look, etc. Now you have kids with no limits, they graze on twinkies and no on tells them they're fat. Or their parent defends them telling others "she's just big boned". I have never seen a 'fat' skeleton.

Melanie Birge 6 years, 6 months ago

My son is over weight, I just took him to KU med yesterday, they put him on Lipitor. No one else in the house has any weight issues nor do I let him eat Hamburgers and fries. I am sad that he need a Cholesterol medication at 13. I cook well fruit and veggies in the home. I wonder how much genetics play a roll.

Bowhunter99 6 years, 6 months ago

why is health insurance so expensive? Because people are eating themselves to death!!!!

Obese People have more health problems than non-obese people... High blood pressure, Diabetes-II, cholesterol, etc, etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc..... that's why the health premiums are so expensive... Because the vast majority of people out there are walking TIMEBOMBS!

But wait... that would require that YOU take the blame for YOUR current health, and we know that's not possible for a LOT of people.... They're going to blame society, McDonalds, and EVERYONE else except the person doing the actual eating and not exercising.... ALL with the hope that one day health insurance will be paid by someone else.

storm 6 years, 6 months ago

Not so fast. If Gen XL die from obesity related diseases and they are dying earlier than Baby Boomers, then there should be enough social security money after 2041 - the approximate year that social security allegedly runs dry. By now, we all know foods are laden with chemicals and hormones and should not be choosing those franken-foods. But if we really want to do something, slap child abuse on the parents because an obese child is actually a direct result of child neglect.

topcity 6 years, 6 months ago

Good point Spywell.The state does employ a lot of obese people and i work for the state,so i should know.Just eat healthy and exercise,it is not that hard.

spywell 6 years, 6 months ago

Who cares? My sisters kid was fat like the kid in the photo. All he ate all his live was hot dogs and macarooni and cheese and junk food. When he turned 17, he started smoking pot and now he's 20 and he lost all his weight and is skin and bone. It does'nt matter what the lawmakers do. The school lunch program is in the toilet with the rest of the school districts across America. I don't care if your kids fat and dies young, at his or her computer. Theres too many people in the world already so keep them gummy bears comming and build another Wal*Mart, so you can buy more junk food. Poor people have poor ways. So insure all these fat A$$ed spoiled lossers at the tax payers expense. Remember these Stupid lawmakers are of the same generation that raised these fat a$$ed kids. Just take a day trip to the statehouse and sit in your car on Kansas Avenue and watch all the fat a$$ed state paid workers wobbleing across the street.

sourpuss 6 years, 6 months ago

Feed your kids fruits, veg, take away their computers, tvs, and video games, and boot them out of the house so they can run around. I wasn't allowed to sit around the house all of the time, and I was given healthy portions and options. It isn't that hard people.

KsTwister 6 years, 6 months ago

Ah yes, once again history repeats itself .. .. . in its failures. I am curious how many remembers the 1975 rendition of the Presidents Council on Physical Fitness in school?

toefungus 6 years, 6 months ago

I just can't seem to get my arms around this issue.

Pogo 6 years, 6 months ago

Children are but mere reflections of the environment they are reared in.

Where there is an "obese" child, there is an obese parent.

Additionally, why is there a need to label a child thereby stigmatizing that child from that point forward?

The adult community is responsible for every "obese" child out there. Take a look around whenever you're out and about in our little hamlet. How many fat mommy's and daddy's are there? Take a look at our "educators". How many of them are obese? What about those who provide the "counseling" and "social work"? Typically overweight/obese people and, in general, women. So much for nurturance on a professional level.

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 6 months ago

Cut down on the KoolAid and marshmellows!

Nikki May 6 years, 6 months ago

Cut back on foodstamps? That is NOT the issue. People are probably not eating too much, just not the RIGHT stuff.

Sigmund 6 years, 6 months ago

Cut back on the food stamp program.