Letters to the Editor

Traffic plans

October 12, 2007

To the editor:

The Oct. 2 editorial about trucks and traffic congestion in Lawrence said, "Lawrence city officials : were blind to the fact that Lawrence was, and is, doing a terribly poor job of planning for increased traffic."

What traffic proposals have been offered by city leaders or developers for the increased traffic that downtown library expansion and redevelopment will bring? Our downtown has a fragile location right on the river and access to and from it is on narrow city streets through residential neighborhoods.

The traffic grid and carrying capacity of downtown streets cannot be enlarged. Sixth Street has the highest traffic count in the city.

Parking is put forth as the traffic problem when it is actually easy to build up or down. The real problem never discussed is traffic flow. It's as vital to a healthy downtown as good blood circulation is to life; hence phrases like traffic arteries, traffic circulation and arterial roads.

We can build a larger library and add retail and condo development, but we cannot expand the capacity of city streets in the downtown. The 600 blocks of Kentucky and Vermont are one-way streets - not desirable for retail development anyway. The killer of downtown will be clogged streets, not lack of parking. Traffic planning for downtown should precede any redevelopment.

Renee Morel,

Lawrence

Comments

Richard Heckler 7 years, 2 months ago

Parking could take place a block or two maybe more from the destination and walk. A few years ago I read when a couple could no longer work in special exercise time everyday they began parking a ways from their grocery or other shopping venture,did a fast pace walk or climb stairs over elevators to get that blood moving.

Those who can could also help by riding the bus,walking or cycling. Parking gargages cost way too much in tax dollars and are rarely full. No matter what is done there will never be enough parking. Sooooo lets eliminate vehicles instead....when possible. Check out the large numbers of workers and consumers who use public transportation in some really big cities.

stuckinthemiddle 7 years, 2 months ago

In the 35 years I've lived in Lawrence, with a lot of time spent downtown... I've never had a problem finding a parking space... Of course, I don't insist on parking within 50 feet of where I'm going... If you're willing to walk a couple of blocks there are always parking spaces downtown...

As for this letter, Renee is absolutely right:

imastinker 7 years, 2 months ago

Walking sounds nice - and can be very nice sometimes. But when you're in a hurry, or it's bitterly cold or hot, or raining or snowing. Those times it's just easier to go somewhere else.

Further, who wants to go to the library with kids or in bad weather and walk that far? No way, the library especially needs to have adequate parking.

SettingTheRecordStraight 7 years, 2 months ago

One issue we don't need to worry about is a new or expanded library. The taxpayers do not want to pay ten$ of milliion$$ for an unneeded library.

Speakout 7 years, 2 months ago

Library expansion or not, I think that Lawrence HAS a parking problem especially for seniors and handicapped. I go downtown every Wednesday night and can never find a handicap spot and I cannot walk more than 50 feet to where I am going. Sometimes I come, find no parking place and drive back home and not attend the event. Ok, I'm sure you are saying "well that is one person", but I wonder how many others have the problem as well. Last week, two cars were parked in the spots behind Signs of Life who had no handicapped placards and were not ticketed. If I could walk and I would love to walk, I wouldn't complain.

bliddel 7 years, 2 months ago

As long as the citizens of Lawrence include a significant percentage of environmental extremists, bent on blaming the internal combustion engine for all of our problems, the traffic safety commission will continue to vote for ever more traffic calming, and unpopular roundabouts, and de-synchronized traffic signals, and unrestricted on-street parking on arteries and feeders.

While very few people care about the truth, moving our traffic quickly and efficiently would actually reduce accidents and reduce pollution, and save the taxpayers $millions every year. But the most vocal in our population actually believe that they can kill the automobile as a practical means of transportation - at least within the city limits, and that is their true goal. Safety is nothing but a red herring. These environmentalists care not one iota about the economic devastation it will bring should they succeed in forcing this misguided utopia upon those of us who still have to drive to other cities to find jobs because there simply are no jobs in Lawrence. Come to think of it, there will also be much misery upon all those who currently need to drive their cars as close as possible to the downtown library because the city will not build potentially more-economical branch libraries.

So, If you are fed up, write to your government, speak at the commission meetings, and VOTE!

etsi_truss 7 years, 2 months ago

I have alerted the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks about the fact that there have been sightings of Least Terns in the area

I hope we can derail this project.

Least Terns are protected by the Kansas Nongame and Endangered Species Conservation Act, the Federal Endangered Species Act, and state and federal regulations applicable to those acts.

A WESTERN KANSAS BUSINESS OWNER!!!! I SUPPORT THE SUNFLOWER ELECTRIC PROJECT