Archive for Thursday, October 11, 2007

ConAgra issues pot pie recall

October 11, 2007

— ConAgra Foods Inc. on Wednesday asked stores to stop selling pot pies linked to a salmonella outbreak, although the company and the U.S. Department of Agriculture defended their decision not to immediately recall the product.

ConAgra asked stores nationwide to pull the Banquet and generic brand chicken and turkey pot pies after two East Coast grocery chains made their own choice to remove the product from their shelves.

The pot pies made by ConAgra have been linked to at least 139 cases of salmonella in 30 states. The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said at least 20 people have been hospitalized, but so far no deaths have been linked to the pot pies.

The company and federal officials warned customers not to eat the pot pies and to throw them away, and ConAgra is offering refunds.

ConAgra spokeswoman Stephanie Childs said the Omaha-based company decided with USDA officials that the consumer alert they issued Tuesday would be more appropriate than a recall.

Comments

huntershaven 7 years, 2 months ago

Interesting. Now even our domestic food production is having more frequent recalls, not just imported products. All the more reason to buy local and know your producer.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

"ConAgra issues pot pie recall"

They should've just stuck with the brownies.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

BTW, Agnostick, have you now also...

"already clicked the 'Suggest Removal' button on [your blatant KFC advertisement] post?"

Hmm?

badger 7 years, 2 months ago

All across Lawrence, over the next few hours, hippies will get up, look at this headline, and think, "You can make PIE with it?"

On the actual topic, every recall puts me more firmly happy with my decision to buy from farmer's markets. I visited Lawrence's when I was in town in May, and am very impressed at the new size and layout.

The market down here has more meat (beef, bison, lamb, pork, chicken, and fish), fewer baked goods, lots of citrus and no apples. It's a switch, that's for sure.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

blue73harley say: "funny dig at agno but I doubt that he would get any monetary gain for recommending KFC so it ain't the same."

Well... not directly... but it's a little known fact Ag is indeed a chicken farmer. He's always managed to beat the rap, though, which is how he came to be know as Ag "no-stick."

heysoos 7 years, 2 months ago

If you're smart enough, and use the method my mom taught me, you can make anything that requires any added fat (oil, butter, margarine, lard) with it... :)

Ragingbear 7 years, 2 months ago

Meow

No kitty, this is my pot pie!

Meow

No kitty, this is my pot pie!!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

tangential_reasoners_anonymous says: "ConAgra issues pot pie recall" "They should've just stuck with the brownies."

Funny, I just typed "pot pie" into the LJW search field, and it returned...

"Brownie substitution tasty..."