Letters to the Editor

Tax responsibility

October 9, 2007

To the editor:

Recently, the Journal-World published a page listing those residents and businesses in Douglas County that were delinquent in paying their property taxes. Some of these omissions may be oversights; others may be deliberate delays. While many of the amounts owed by individuals and businesses were small, the total added up to more than $160,000. Interestingly, several well-known businesses were listed as being delinquent.

Our local governments are hard-pressed to maintain the services that they currently provide without further shortfalls in the revenue that they expect to receive. The delay by those who have not paid their taxes hurts us all and places a greater burden on our government agencies to meet their fiscal responsibilities. Perhaps a more diligent pursuit is in order, with more severe penalties administered.

If tax responsibilities are not fulfilled in a timely manner, the residents of Douglas County can expect two things: a call for higher taxes to offset the shortfall or reductions in services. Get off your duffs and be responsible citizens.

Ken Meyer,

Lawrence

Comments

spywell 6 years, 6 months ago

Hawk: i agree with you, we should all have a tea party and bankrupt them and fire all of them and start all over.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 6 months ago

I agree with Meyer. People need to stop being deadbeats and start paying their taxes like the rest of us. Sure I may not like the way my money is being spent, but that doesn't give me the right to opt out of my financial responsibility. If people had the opportunity to select where their tax dollars go, we'd see a lot of this: "I don't drive very much, so I don't care whether or not potholes get repaired. I also don't want my tax dollars being used to clear snow off the streets since I don't drive.", "I don't know anyone whose health is at risk, so I won't contribute my tax dollars to the 911 emergency line.", "I don't have kids, so I won't use my tax dollars to maintain the public parks and playgrounds."

Being a responsible taxpayer doesn't mean that I'm a government apologist. It simply means that I don't want to be a deadbeat and shift the financial burden to others. I hate wasteful government spending as much as anyone else, but these are the people that were elected by the public. Does anyone have a solution? It seems that any candidate who endorses a flat tax or national sales tax gets rejected by the voters.

gr 6 years, 6 months ago

"more than $160,000"

How much did they waste suing Wal-Mart?

hawkperchedatriverfront 6 years, 6 months ago

Mr. Meyer has forgotten, that with tax payment responsibility comes tax spending responsibility which Mr. Meyer has written much about. Can't have one without the other, Ken!

hawkperchedatriverfront 6 years, 6 months ago

Actually, more should withhold payment. ONly then would the spending fools in government cut their budgets. Mr. Meyer should realize that giving them more money on time increases the appetite for more next time around. Next time around is in a few months for property tax. Cut off the money supply!

Kontum1972 6 years, 6 months ago

i think a "Scarlet D" should be tattooed on their foreheads....then paraded down Mass street ....for the rest of us schmucks to spit on them.

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 6 months ago

Spoken like a true government apologist.