Archive for Monday, October 8, 2007

County looks at cutting car-registration lines

October 8, 2007

The Douglas County Treasurer's office is exploring ways to reduce the long lines that form at the end of the month when most people renew their vehicle license tags.

Among the solutions are encouraging more renewals by mail and online, putting kiosks in the courthouse, and working with the state to increase the number of registration due dates.

The tag renewal process was one of several issues studied in a management assessment conducted over the past year and a half by a consultant concerning functions in the treasurer's office. The study was initiated by Treasurer Paula Gilchrist.

"Customer satisfaction overall is very high," the consultant, LaVern Epp said. "But simply stated, people don't like the hassle of standing in line for new licenses."

In other business, commissioners approved the so-called southern development plan in a 3-2 vote. The plan outlines residential, industrial and commercial uses for an area generally between 31st Street and the Wakarusa River.

Commissioners Bob Johnson and Jere McElhaney voted for a version of the plan recommended by the Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Commission. That version designates land northwest of the intersection of East 31st and Louisiana streets as "medium density residential." Commissioner Charles Jones said he favored the Lawrence City Commission version, which designated the same area "low density residential."

Johnson and McElhaney also voted not to accept an amended chapter of Horizon 2020 about industrial and employment land use. They said additional revisions under consideration should be made first. Jones argued that the revisions could be made through other later amendments.

Comments

deskboy04 10 years, 6 months ago

I think that doing the car tags over the internet is a great thing...we did it last year. I don't understand why the state charges a fairly substantial "convienence fee" to do this. It would seem like using a credit card and the internet is the cheaper for everyone involved.

allateup 10 years, 6 months ago

"Included in the study was a survey of the public about its perception of the treasurer's office and its employees."

Haiku_Cuckoo 10 years, 6 months ago

I've never had a bad experience with the DMV people in Kansas. The lines always move quickly and the people behind the counter have always been friendly to me. I get my tags renewed at the location inside Dillon's, so I can't speak for every DMV location. Lighten up on the DMV peeps. They probably deal with crab-apples all day who complain about the cost of license plates.

KsTwister 10 years, 6 months ago

Have to agree with the above post. Online is what we use now and its great. It's the line at the DMV for drivers license that needs a pick me up.

Julie Jacob 10 years, 6 months ago

allateup (Anonymous) says: "Are you kidding me? I honestly thought that being a be-otch was a job requirement! There have been very few that did not meet that requirement."

How unfortunate for you that you met up with a worker who may have been having a bad day when you are only there, what, maybe once or twice a year? Or maybe it was just you.....

allateup 10 years, 6 months ago

jcstepmom.......... please read ALL of my post......

"There have been very few that did not meet that requirement."

and in the business I am in i go in six or more times a year! I've recently moved to another county and anxious to see if all county treasurer employees are like this.

Sigmund 10 years, 6 months ago

Honestly, I don't have much of a problem with the employees as the people ahead of me in line who have to be told, for what seems like the millionth time, "no insurance, no registration," or some other basic and obvious bit of information for the millionth and one time. They then will ask the very same question in a slightly different way, only to recieve the same answer in a slightly different way, the millionth and two'th time.

It does seem like the more people do this online the better for everyone (including the County) and they should consider encouraging people, with lower fees, to do it online.

Except if I am J.M Sovereign: Godsent and his merry ban of KoolAid drinkers piloting my vessel across the great ocean of wheat and flying the pirate flag, I could avoid all nonsense altogether! http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/sep... http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/oct...

monkeyhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

If the city commissioners did not have to stand in line, when would they really have a chance to mingle with the little people and be able to take the "true pulse" of the city? Huh, Mr. Amyx?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 10 years, 6 months ago

The obvious solution is for the County to begin accepting payment in Sovereign:Godsent Dollars and/or via implanted identification/credit chips. Just think how many fringe "missionaries" could be reined in, increasing the revenue base and making the roads safer for us all!

gccs14r 10 years, 6 months ago

How about not waiting until the last day?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 10 years, 6 months ago

"Rent a mobile van and take the help to the business."

Laura, fire up the vessel, we've got a new mission!

guesswho 10 years, 6 months ago

"Convienence fees" really aren't that convinient, but all businesses have to pay some sort of transaction cost. Businesses pay the third party credit card companies fees ranging (I believe) from 2%-6% depending on the volume/total amount of transactions per month. That's one way credit card companies can give you all those perks (cash back, free miles, etc).

Incidentally, checks and cash aren't 'free' to businesses, either. Checks cost money in terms of a certain percentage of bounced checks and cash requires extra security.

Bladerunner 10 years, 6 months ago

Isn't it obvious. The solution is..........A Drive Up Window!!!!

deadanimals 10 years, 6 months ago

It should be the treasurers job to increase awareness about taxes and the benefits of paying taxes instead of treating the public like people trying to get their fast food faster,

a drive through, can you be any less civilized???

What about educating people as to the proper requirements for being a citizen of these states. And you know I think the people who work at the Treasurers office deal with enough uneducated people who are surprised every year or every time that they make a purchase that yes!!!! you have to pay taxes, and that just because you may have forgot, that does not mean that gives you a free pass to not have to pay. And you know what paying taxes will never be pleasant, easy, or fun, but it is necessary.

Charles L. Bloss, Jr. 10 years, 6 months ago

They take the tiny bit of authority they have, issuing license tags, and they think that somehow this means something. All it means is the law requires you to have the license tag, and then the $500 sticker to place upon it. Every time I have to go deal with them, I want to move back to TX. They are without a doubt the rudest government employees, excepting the assessors office, that life requires me to deal with. People here have no concept of what it is to be nice to each other. Y'all come back, hear. Thank you, Lynn

allateup 10 years, 6 months ago

deadanimals...that is fine and well......but for those of us that know what we're doing and WHY we are there is it too much to ask to be treated with a smile??? They need to remember they are providing a smile and we are ultimately paying their wages!

allateup 10 years, 6 months ago

smile = service

and you go Lynn!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry Jacobsen 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm so sorry you folks have had a bad experience. I have gotten to know two or three of the folks in the County Treasurer's office down at the courhouse, and I can tell you that they are very helpful, very kind and they do not fit the negative images that you have outlined above. Stacey K and Cindy M and Timothy are very nice people. I think I would be a lot more difficult than any of the folks in the treasurers office.

I think the real answer to the long lines is to have a triage person go down the line and spot check the information that folks have with them. That way the folks who didn't read the instructions and failed to bring their checkbook, proof of insurance and registration papers can be dismissed to go home and get their homework before they stand in line for 30 minutes and then want to blame everyone else for their own stupidity.

gccs14r 10 years, 6 months ago

Allateup,

You get what you give. I'm always treated well at the tag office, but I think that's because I'm friendly when I walk up.