Archive for Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Tonganoxie seniors’ T-shirts become subject of cover-up

October 3, 2007

Several Tonganoxie High School senior girls donned matching T-shirts Monday during school. But the tongue-in-cheek message didn't sit well with administrators.

Shannon Carlin, a senior who wore the shirt, said the front of the shirt read: "Senior women 2008." The back read, "It feels good to be on top."

Carlin said she wasn't certain who started the drive for the T-shirts in the senior class, but the senior girls paid $8 apiece for the shirts, which were supposed to signify "we're all seniors and just want to have fun."

But the school staff were not amused.

Carlin said THS Principal Jamie Carlisle called a special assembly for the senior girls to discuss the situation.

Many of the students wearing the shirt turned them inside out or wore something over them, Carlin said.

"If you turned your shirt inside out, he would thank you for it," Carlin said. "I think turning them inside out wasn't too much to ask. I didn't think it was a big deal. The whole thing's not really all that big of a deal."

And Carlin said the shirt wasn't intended to cause harm, but rather to have a humorous message. The shirts became popular because others were purchasing them, she said.

Senior Tracie Hileman was not in school Monday because of illness, but said the shirt could be taken as "Top of the class."

"Large and in charge," Hileman said.

Carlisle declined to comment, citing student privacy issues.

Comments

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

"Large and in charge" ... and "on top."

(No, I won't go there.)

KsTwister 7 years, 2 months ago

This is not news. All our girls were lined up and sent home for skirt lengths thirty years ago. Go-go boots and mini skirts--what a great time. All our guys had the T-shirt problem. Dejavu?

acg 7 years, 2 months ago

I watched that last night Tony! Man, D & C is a great flick.

"offtotheright (Anonymous) says:

Inappropriate indeed!"

Big surprise there, Mr. Hand thinks it's inappropriate indeed! roflmao!

redneckwoman 7 years, 2 months ago

This reminds me of my senior class T-Shirts. We were told to do the same because the school staff thought they where inappropriate to wear. I still have mine just for laughs. LOL!!!

kramdorf 7 years, 2 months ago

Regardless of what your opinion is of the shirts, I must say I am impressed with the mature response from the students. Class act!!!

trinity 7 years, 2 months ago

py, the uniforms for the 70's in small conservative kansas towns was pretty much the same as what you've mentioned! even in dear ol' ottawa. of course there were still some uber conservative dressers, but the hip&cool ones outnumbered 'em.

ramsrevenge 7 years, 2 months ago

I know where I'm partying this Friday night!

lunacydetector 7 years, 2 months ago

couldn't "it feels good to be on top" be construed as a reference 'to being on top of the hill' which is a phrase that directly relates to KU and the hill being where KU is located? i see a possible future lawsuit of the t-shirt printer. tonganoxie's colors are red/white and KU has crimson (red) as one of their colors. i wonder...hmmm....if this is enough evidence that people might think KU is endorsing tonganoxie high school?

Confrontation 7 years, 2 months ago

"Carlin said some of the 30 to 40 students who wore the shirts Monday approached Carlisle later in the day to apologize - and some seniors planned to bake cookies and brownies for him."

I guess they at least received an education in sucking up to the Administration. That'll keep them "on top" for the rest of their lives.

True_To_KU 7 years, 2 months ago

LOL, I think that this discussion is p.r.e.t.t.y funny. I understand both sides of the arguement, but I can't help but think back at everything I got in trouble for in high school. So much fun. I don't think that the students or faculty took it too far, it just makes in interesting article.

mr_economy 7 years, 2 months ago

I wonder if principals just live for these kinds of policies. My high school class had a bit of a reputation for enjoying a beer or forty, so when we showed up wearing our unofficial class shirts, which read "Class of 2004" in the same font style/colors as the Coors Light logo, we were in for an earful.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 2 months ago

Stars to R_I! And BlueHarley. and Confrontation. Funny stuff!

Lighten up. When they come to KU, they'll wear something even more inappropriate, and we will laugh again!

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 2 months ago

First the Tonganoxie Mayor now the Senior girls. Where will this horribility all end?

Bill Chapman 7 years, 2 months ago

Offense can ONLY be accepted, Never given.

Somewhere in Tonganoxie, someone got offended by some high school kids. They most likely complained to the high school and we get this tripe in the J-W because of it. Every time a PC issue gets printed, has air time, etc. - just encourages the morally right to enforce their view on the world. If people would ignore offensive items, the world would be a much more interesting place - people might get to say/ show what they think about things, possibly causing others to consider differing viewpoints.

Tom Miller 7 years, 2 months ago

agreed...too funny! But, based on their obvious sense of humor, I'd advise a somewhat cautious approach to the aforementioned "cookies and brownies"...this could get even funnier!!!

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 2 months ago

If Tongie. isn't careful, they'll steal the title of Gateway to Hell from Stowe.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 2 months ago

offtothe right - they did set an example for the younger girls. Just a bad example of sorts.

acg 7 years, 2 months ago

"offtotheright (Anonymous) says:

These girls are not in college and they should be setting an example for the younger girls."

Grumble grumble grump. Sour grumple whine. Complain p*ss & moan. People are having fun and smiling dammit and I just won't stand for it!--Mr. Hand, aka OTTR

Richard Heckler 7 years, 2 months ago

It is not the job of senior girls to set examples for they are not parents. The principles reaction drew more attention to the T shirts with his misinterpretation or not. Wonder what was going through his mind?

Most mothers have more important issues in their lives. Probably some mothers are proud of their daughters for taking a stance rather than caving in.

Why does the principle deserve an apology?

acg 7 years, 2 months ago

Maybe it has nothing to do with middle-aged "children" that want to be part of the "hip" crowd 75X55, so much as people that know how to laugh and lighten up. When my kids get to be teens, if all they're doing is wearing tshirts that have questionable sayings on them vs. say, doing dope in the bathroom or popping out a bunch of illegitimate babies, then I'll be okay with it. Maybe if more people stopped focusing on the things that aren't important (tshirts that are naughty) and focused on what is important (educate our children please, and stop being concerned with their clothing) then the world might be a happier place.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 2 months ago

I'm proud to be considered a middle-aged 'child' at the ripe young age of 52! Thanks, 4125!

denak 7 years, 2 months ago

Even thought I am only 39, you can put me in the "old fuddy duddy" corner.

The girls knew what they were doing was wrong. They knew that "it feels good to be on top" has a sexual connatation. To say otherwise, and pretend that it was all just innocent fun, is being dishonest and coy.

There is a time and place for everything and wearing a shirt with a sexual innuendo on it to school is not the time or place.

The only reasons the girls were "mature" about the situation is because they knew from the get go that they weren't going to get away with it. They knew that they were in the wrong and so when confronted, they knew they couldn't win and they could either turn their shirt inside out or have thier parents called, who more than likely, did not know about their shirts and who, when informed, probably wouldn't have found it all that amusing.

Dena

lawrencechick 7 years, 2 months ago

"Most mothers have more important issues in their lives. Probably some mothers are proud of their daughters for taking a stance rather than caving in"

That is exactly the problem with the world today. More parents do put their own issues and needs ahead of their parenting than ever before. If you think it's funny for a 17 year old girl to brag about her sexual postition, then I hope you think it's funny when she's being treated for her 3 STD by the time she's 21. And please spare me the education line. The oversexualization of girls is a huge problem in the 21st century. Kids used to be able to count on adults to set some kind of moral compass, now they set their own. Thank God some adults are taking a stand, it's just a shame it wasn't their parents.

ndmoderate 7 years, 2 months ago

Some fans of our volleyball team have a t-shirt they wear to games; the shirt says "Just the tip, once or twice... then slam it home!"

Ah, college kids.

For the Tongie kids: Funny shirt, but now you get to learn the hard way that being a high school student means that you get to follow rules you don't like. Save it for college, when it will be equally as funny.

compmd 7 years, 2 months ago

When I was in high school (not too long ago, but in a land far, far away) the girls' track team had shirts that had "Nice Package" written on the front. A couple teachers objected, but for the most part nobody cared.

Danimal 7 years, 2 months ago

I didn't even know that high schools had dress codes anymore. At least you wouldn't know it from what you see kids wearing. It's good to see the man is still and around and ready to drop the hammer. I do however resent that these kids don't have enough integrity to admit that the shirt is rife with sexual innuendo and admit when they get busted. But I guess that's a part of being that age and thinking that you're smarter than everyone else.

George_Braziller 7 years, 2 months ago

Oh please, you have to be kidding. Nearly 30 years ago when I was in high school I created a t-shirt that read "Watling and Daughters Incorporated" "Established 1858." I had just read Gone With the Wind and it was a reference to the madame of a whorehouse, Belle Watling. It was a hoot among my friends and even in my small rural high school the principal thought it was funny. The prudes are even worse now.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

"I had just read Gone With the Wind and it was a reference to the madame of a whorehouse...."

... but wasn't that a banned book, at the time? (So, hu nu?)

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

tongie is not the end of the world, but you can see it from there!.

oh, c'mon, somebody lighten up! in today's world this is pretty tame.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

"Shall we revisit the story of the frog in the cooking pot?"

Tell it... slowly....

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

"What are they 'on top' of?"

... the world, at that age....

Hoots 7 years, 2 months ago

Take into account this was in the early 80's My favorite T-shirt that one of the tennis players wore to school read " Give me HEAD or give me DEATH" It was advertising Head tennis gear. Kids wore stuff like this all the time here in Lawrence and it was never an issue. A few girls got the idea to make dresses out of trash bags and they made them go home to change. They did look hot though. Give these kids a break.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

... and a decade before: "Give me Librium, or give me Meth."

( but I guess those "boys" had graduated from high school... or had they? )

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 2 months ago

"Give me Librium, or give me Meth."

That's definitely catchier than the original chant, "Give me chlordiazepoxide, or give me methamphetamine."

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

Seemingly, somehow more "patriotic"....

Maybe that was the problem with the students' shirts... not patriotic enough.

tongiegurl 7 years, 2 months ago

well considering I am one of those REBEL tongie high school seniors.....let me just say it was a joke "WE ARE SENIORS" in a small town and wanted to stir up a little controversy. As for the people who commented on this page and said it was Inappropriate......do you remember high school??? I mean really lighten up seriously if you think that's inappropriate you haven't seen anything!