Archive for Friday, November 30, 2007

Winter storm predicted for area

Motorists urged to exercise caution

November 30, 2007

Kansans are urged to prepare for bitter winter weather tonight and to be cautious on major roads.

The National Weather Service issued a freezing rain advisory and hazardous weather outlook for Friday night into the early morning hours of Saturday.

Northeast Kansas, including Douglas County, is expected to have an ice accumulation of 0.10 of an inch to 0.20 of an inch, mainly along the Interstate 70 corridor and north of Interstate 35.

The Kansas Division of Emergency Management discouraged driving during the storm.

Lisa Callahan, director of public relations with the Kansas Turnpike Authority said maintenance crews had pre-treated areas that freeze first, such as bridges, with a salt solution and will continue to monitor the weather and road conditions.

Her advice for drivers: slow down.

"If customers will slow down and drive carefully they will be OK," she said.

She also advised drivers not to pass snowplows or other maintenance trucks that are treating roads.

"It seems easy, but you'd be surprised how many people do it," she said.

The freezing rain is expected to turn into rain by early Saturday morning.

In a news release issued Friday afternoon, Maj. Gen. Tod Bunting, director of the Kansas Division of Emergency Management, advised Kansans to prepare an emergency kit for their homes and vehicles that should include water, food and first aid kits. For a vehicle kit, Bunting advised tow chain rope, a battery-powered radio and extra clothing.

Comments

laughingatallofu 7 years, 2 months ago

Be safe, all. Winter weather can catch all of us by surprise.

As much as I don't like reading some of your comments, I want you to come back and post more comments. So, don't die on the roads this weekend. OK?

Unix_Admin 7 years, 2 months ago

Oh no! I sure hope Katie Horner will save me from this horror!

MattressMan 7 years, 2 months ago

Unix_Admin (Anonymous) says: Oh no! I sure hope Katie Horner will save me from this horror!

LOL!

Every idiot driver out there will act like it's the first time they've ever seen icy conditions and the doomers will be raiding the grocery stores to stock up as they wont be able to get out of the house for maybe an hour or two.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 2 months ago

if it has to be cold and nasty just send the snow. I am not a old weather person but if I must deal with it I would much rather have the snow. Send the ice up to northern country.

Tom Miller 7 years, 2 months ago

...uh, duh...it IS winter, and Northeast Kansas...thank goo'ness it's not one of those dreaded SPRING-time storms...! Horrors...a winter storm!

nicegirl 7 years, 2 months ago

Marion;

.10 to .20 inches of ICE, not snow.

Still not sure it constitutes a winter storm, but ice is worse than snow.

sheshapes 7 years, 2 months ago

OMG I can't help myself (after too many drinks).

Justfornow wants to know exactly what a bearded clam is. And no one wants to touch that question with a ten foot pole.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

behold, winter weather cometh.

not much ice, .1-.2 but it sure can make a mess. don't think it really warranted bothering the major general! ...quick...muster the national guard! we're all gonna die!

salad 7 years, 2 months ago

Can Katie Horner save the horse parade? That's the only thing I care about: save the horse parade! Save the horse parade!

imastinker 7 years, 2 months ago

Go figure.

Tammy Yergey 7 years, 2 months ago

Does anyone know if they are going to cancel or postpone the parade because of the storm?

Tom Miller 7 years, 2 months ago

I personally have thought for years that would be a great job! The weather, with the best technology available, is STILL an unpredictable process...so that being said, how great would it be to have a job where your predictions were, to varying degrees, wrong 5 days outta 7, and you still got a paycheck on friday...? Hmmm...that, or one u' them thar gub'mint jobs...

ranger73 7 years, 2 months ago

Good thing there isn't anything on 5 to watch tonight, since Katie Hurricane will be pre-empting every 2 minutes-Please take shelter! A snow flake was seen 10 miles northeast of Perry lake headed west! Oh, sorry-that was a renegade goose. But wait, It is still very dangerous out there and you never know when those renegade geese will come down and poo on your lawn making dangerous walking conditions! Take shelter now!

salad 7 years, 2 months ago

"Curtis, if I were wrong a tenth as often as the typical weatherman, I'd have been fired long ago. Ironically, weatherman/women make more money than me. Go figure."

Yeah, but how'd you like to be the only guy on the newscast who has to predict the future.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

Dukakis was a loser, born to be voted for by losers - he's from Massachusetts, home of Ted Kennedy. That's why he lost. He also looked gay in his army tank crash helmet.

sorry, algore can't be reached as he is in his high carbon-footprint private jet spraying contrails accross america's skies...including the contrails which nutbags believe are being used to control the weather.

a band of crazed polar bears were seen passing the strip bar en route to downtown and are expected to arrive in the next hour. citizens are advised to bar their doors, baracaid their windows, and drink lots of adult beverages to keep warm. ice is coming and life as we know it will grind to an end. civilization hangs in the balance. emergency power is the only hope. where's Scotty with them dilithium crystals when we really need him?!? polar bears said, when confronted, that they blamed algore for the cold and were headed south and trying to get warm and just wanted a good latte with a head on it. they added that they planned to vote republican in the '08 election since they wear fur coats.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

hardy-har-har...here's the correct quote for comment above...damned new fangled cut-and-pasty thingy! What does world famous Al Gore say about this terrible storm??????

it is properly spelled "across" too. sorry...we're all still gonna die.

labmonkey 7 years, 2 months ago

Can we please keep the friggin horrible Missouri drivers out of our state? They act like they've never driven in inclimate conditions before.

Kathy Getto 7 years, 2 months ago

Bring on the bad weather! The larder is stocked and got a couple of classic moves to watch with my sweet baby!

hawklet21 7 years, 2 months ago

Do I need to pull out the bicycle helmet or is that another natural disaster? I'm going to flip over to 5 and see what Katie Horner has to say...

Steve Jacob 7 years, 2 months ago

They are calling for for more ice north and west of here, so it could be more, depending on then temps.

Be safe. Plus it's worse because this will be the first bad weather day, and people forget how to drive in it.

cap10_insano 7 years, 2 months ago

Its the end and I'm the 'Omega Man'.

Please be the end, please please please.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 2 months ago

as long as I can stay warm and snuggie inside I will be ok but if not some one must pay...:)

littlegrace 7 years, 2 months ago

I'm the Alpha Woman and I am fashionably late.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

well, righty, I'm proud of you, and algore must be proud of you: you've got the priorities right!

those killer polar bears also said they wanted the directions to get to algore's mansion. they can't drive...can they?

and remember, we're all gonna die, they called the national guard!

cap10_insano 7 years, 2 months ago

200 rounds of ammo?

When the fleshy headed mutants come knocking you'll wish you had more.

doc1 7 years, 2 months ago

Katie Horner doesn't even have a meteorology degree.

BrianR 7 years, 2 months ago

Looks like a classic case of mass precognitive dissonance.

deskboy04 7 years, 2 months ago

I have a stockpile of provisions. I have my Katie Horner approved storm kit in the basement. I am wearing my helmet. I think I am ready.

cheer67 7 years, 2 months ago

I wouldn't call the rain from this morning freezing, maybe just really cold. And the roads weren't bad at all. The weathermen haven't been predicting very well lately.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

good poetry northtown.

instead of ice, comes the mud. mud. mud.

mud.

no ice to slip, just mud to drip.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

and, the tv weather guy will be outside braving the killer elements for the live camera coverage too!

those scenes on tv are so incredibly pathetic. I find myself cheering for the trees to break off a branch, the sign to blow loose, etc. please! something happen...maybe a giant snow monster eats the station's mobile eyeball news magic media truck and the screen dissolves. that would be worth it.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 2 months ago

In all fairness to Katie, guys, I watched her all week, and she was practically the only weather person who said it WASN'T going to be that bad...

And some people did get the nasty ice...it just turned out to be further north than they originally thought...which is nothing unusual, by the way. No matter how badly everyone wishes they could actually predict the weather, it's still pretty impossible to do...

The national weather service thought it was a big enough concern to issue a freezing rain and ice warning for our area last night...and none of the local TV weather people has anything to do with that...

What? No one's knocking the national weather service for freaking out???