Letters to the Editor

Troop thanks

November 14, 2007

To the editor:

As a daughter of a veteran and a wife of a veteran I want to say "thank you." Our veterans are the citizens who keep our freedoms secure. I believe a lot of people forget about the hard work and sacrifice our military men and women make to keep us safe and free.

My husband is in Kirkuk, Iraq, right now working 84 hours a week. The men over there go on missions for weeks at a time and put themselves in great danger so they can feed their families and keep America safe. If you don't agree with the war then that's fine. But please, show a veteran your appreciation. You don't know how much pride it gives them when they hear "thank you."

I can't say this enough to our veterans: THANK YOU! To our troops overseas, I would like to tell them to stay strong!

Jessica Gragg,

Lawrence

Comments

jlw53 7 years, 1 month ago

And thank you, too, Jessica for sharing your husband and father on the mission to defend our freedom.

Stay strong and we all wish for his safe return.

Charles L Bloss Jr 7 years, 1 month ago

I totally agree. Whatever your feelings about this war, the military have to obey orders when they are called up. They have to do what they are told, which includes risking their lives on dangerous missions. I totally support our veterans. My father was a physician in the Army Medical Corps during WWII. I have the greatest respect for all of our veterans, and the deepest gratitude to them for securing our freedom, and all of our rights under the constitution. Mrs. Gragg, please thank your husband and all of his fellow soldiers for what they are doing for us, and what they are giving up for all of us. Thank you, Lynn

Charles L Bloss Jr 7 years, 1 month ago

P.S. I do now, and have always, supported President Bush decision to invade Iraq. Thank you, Lynn

pomegranate 7 years, 1 month ago

Right on Lynn, I am with you all the way.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 1 month ago

The troops are dying for your stupidity, not for your freedom.

Terry Jacobsen 7 years, 1 month ago

Bozo.. once again you turn on the negativity... the troops are defending our way of life, and allowing others to have the same freedoms that we have. Why do you always take the side of the enemy? Is this just left over authoritarian hatred from your adlolescent past that you haven't gotten over? Come on root for the home team for a change.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 1 month ago

See my previous post, TJ. It speaks quite directly to you.

matahari 7 years, 1 month ago

yea, and thanks for all the PTSD suffererers that will be wandering the streets with no mental health care........people with some major anger issues, god help us all~

Flap Doodle 7 years, 1 month ago

I won $5. When I saw this headline this morning, I bet myself that bozo had already posted his typical poo-flinging on this thread.

guesswho 7 years, 1 month ago

Thank you troops! I applaud your commit to serving our country regardless of who our leader is or the decisions they make (republicans or democrats). I support you by wanting you to come back alive and healthy. I support increased funding to the VA system to make sure you will not be homeless or have untreated PTSD. I support higher taxes on those who can afford it (wealthy) to pay for this war and your care.

thebigspoon 7 years, 1 month ago

Bozo, yours is the type of thinking that make Phred Phelps et al believe its OK to make funeral a political ringside. The question here is do you support the men and women who put their lives and livlihoods on the line daily for the rights of a country which has not traditionally recognized individual rights or freedoms. Yes, the war is probably wrong. Yes, the leaders of this country probably lied, cheated, and bamboozled us. But you gain no points by denigrating the very people who do believe in their missions and who are injured or killed in the carrying out of those missions. Get a life! Even you can't be so base as to believe--TRULY believe--that it's OK to hurt these people and their families. Grow up!

thebigspoon 7 years, 1 month ago

Also, it doesn't make your arguments any more believable to make personal attacks on people who disagree with you. In fact, it makes your thoughtless drivel even less palatable.

thebigspoon 7 years, 1 month ago

Ditto my 2:57 post to you, logicsound. Grow up.

jgragg 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm pretty sure i wrote the letter to say thank you. I have no idea how my letter would cause a debate.

shockchalk 7 years, 1 month ago

Thank you for a great letter and for the sacrifice you are making. America is safer because of the dedication your husband and others have for our country and our freedom. We will pray for his safe return.

Bradley Klamm 7 years, 1 month ago

Bozo, logicsound, I'm assuming that you and I have views about the war and the administration as parallel as they come. It is with that in mind that I ask you to shut up. This particular thread really is not the place for it, and it's bordering on disrespectful.

Do you wake up in the morning uncertain that you will live to go to bed that night? Do you drive or ride in a car with the constant fear that the road is going to literally explode? Or what about their spouses, who all have to worry about the same things from the other side of the planet? You think they'd rather read a diatribe about how wrong this war is from the very people their husbands bleed for? Classy. And what does that diatribe accomplish? It's not bringing the war any closer to being over. Call your elected officials for that. Often. Do you even have the ability to hush with the politics for two straight seconds to appreciate the people that bleed for us? Espouse the evils of the administration on your own time. (Hell, find a thread where it's a bit more relevant and I'll join in.) Ask a serviceman why he went to Iraq. You think he's going to say, "to protect saudi oil," or, "to continue to feed the war machine," or even, "politics, man. I kill and die for the 2 party system"? NO. He's going to look you square in the eye and say, "For America." Not the administration, not the politics. Certainly not for twenty-two five a year, substandard health coverage and a crappy pension.

Would you take a bullet for America?

Find the nearest vet and shake their hand. That doesn't happen nearly often enough.

To all of our current and former servicemen and women, thank you. To take a bullet for America is to take a bullet for me.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 1 month ago

" This particular thread really is not the place for it, and it's bordering on disrespectful."

This thread is about whatever course it takes. The initial post in this thread implied that the soldiers in Iraq and elsewhere are fighting for our freedom. This is patently false, regardless of the intentions of the individual soldiers. I merely corrected the false impression many posters have tried to create, which is the real hijacking of this thread.