Letters to the Editor

Troop thanks

November 14, 2007

To the editor:

As a daughter of a veteran and a wife of a veteran I want to say "thank you." Our veterans are the citizens who keep our freedoms secure. I believe a lot of people forget about the hard work and sacrifice our military men and women make to keep us safe and free.

My husband is in Kirkuk, Iraq, right now working 84 hours a week. The men over there go on missions for weeks at a time and put themselves in great danger so they can feed their families and keep America safe. If you don't agree with the war then that's fine. But please, show a veteran your appreciation. You don't know how much pride it gives them when they hear "thank you."

I can't say this enough to our veterans: THANK YOU! To our troops overseas, I would like to tell them to stay strong!

Jessica Gragg,

Lawrence

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 5 months ago

" This particular thread really is not the place for it, and it's bordering on disrespectful."

This thread is about whatever course it takes. The initial post in this thread implied that the soldiers in Iraq and elsewhere are fighting for our freedom. This is patently false, regardless of the intentions of the individual soldiers. I merely corrected the false impression many posters have tried to create, which is the real hijacking of this thread.

logicsound04 6 years, 5 months ago

"It is with that in mind that I ask you to shut up. This particular thread really is not the place for it, and it's bordering on disrespectful."

I'm getting pretty f-ing tired of this BS.

It's no more disrespectful for me to talk about the problems with this war than it is for someone (Lynn, I believe it was) to use this thread to talk about how she did and still does support Bush's decision to enter the war. They are both political comments that (according to you and the rest of the forum nazis) apparently have no place here, for fear of damaging our "poor" soldiers' psyche.

Yet, bozo and I, as the ones who voice our opinions that the soldiers shouldn't even be in Iraq dying are being disrespectful? Give me an f-ing break.

How is it disrespectful to say, "I support the soldiers, but I vehemently disagree with the fact that they are there dying"? I commend and admire our men and women that sign up for the military to make a difference, because they sign away their free will to choose what conflicts they believe in--they are required to follow the directions of their commander in chief. One of the reasons I will never sign up myself is because I cannot give away my right to object to unjust conflicts.

You pointed out that our soldiers don't go to Iraq to "protect oil" or to "feed the war machine", and I agree. I imagine that most of our brave men and women do believe they are fighting for America--but calling an orange an apple doesn't make it so. The real reasons we are there remain the same no matter what the actual soldiers think they are fighting for. In fact, part of the point bozo was getting at with his "American troops aren't dying for your freedom" comment was that the whole idea of fighting for American freedom in Iraq is nothing more than part of an elaborate campaign by the current administration to sell the war, whatever their true motives be.

The fact that I want the soliders to come home instead of fighting for an unjust war shows much more RESPECT, in my opinion, than mindlessly saying "thank you" on a local newspaper's online forum. I commend Ms. Gragg for writing the letter, it took effort and will be seen by anyone who reads the print or online edition of the LJWorld, but lets not put too much importance on the comments of a bunch of anonymous posters on the discussion section of the paper's website.

Real respect for the soldiers means supporting them and wanting them home unless their deaths are directly relevant to the survival of the United States. That is not the case in Iraq.

Bradley Klamm 6 years, 5 months ago

Bozo, logicsound, I'm assuming that you and I have views about the war and the administration as parallel as they come. It is with that in mind that I ask you to shut up. This particular thread really is not the place for it, and it's bordering on disrespectful.

Do you wake up in the morning uncertain that you will live to go to bed that night? Do you drive or ride in a car with the constant fear that the road is going to literally explode? Or what about their spouses, who all have to worry about the same things from the other side of the planet? You think they'd rather read a diatribe about how wrong this war is from the very people their husbands bleed for? Classy. And what does that diatribe accomplish? It's not bringing the war any closer to being over. Call your elected officials for that. Often. Do you even have the ability to hush with the politics for two straight seconds to appreciate the people that bleed for us? Espouse the evils of the administration on your own time. (Hell, find a thread where it's a bit more relevant and I'll join in.) Ask a serviceman why he went to Iraq. You think he's going to say, "to protect saudi oil," or, "to continue to feed the war machine," or even, "politics, man. I kill and die for the 2 party system"? NO. He's going to look you square in the eye and say, "For America." Not the administration, not the politics. Certainly not for twenty-two five a year, substandard health coverage and a crappy pension.

Would you take a bullet for America?

Find the nearest vet and shake their hand. That doesn't happen nearly often enough.

To all of our current and former servicemen and women, thank you. To take a bullet for America is to take a bullet for me.

its_getting_warmer 6 years, 5 months ago

I will pray for Bozo tonight, but these are white-man prayers so I do not know if they will be effective.

logicsound04 6 years, 5 months ago

No one here hated on Jessica. No one here hated on the troops either.

To answer your post, jgragg, it's comments like Mr._Ramirez's and TJ_in_Lawrence's, who both assume that any comment that is not in praise of our glorious commander in chief's war is obviously a shot at our troops.

People tend to resent being called a terrorist or an America-hater because they disagree with this war (even though they may support the troops.)

I for one have two close friends/family members who have spent time in Iraq because of Bushleague's war of convenience--a cousin and my fiancee's brother.

But I'm just another troop-hating liberal that wants the terrorists to win, right?

Mr_Ramirez 6 years, 5 months ago

Good letter Jessica.

Ignore the "haters".

shockchalk 6 years, 5 months ago

Thank you for a great letter and for the sacrifice you are making. America is safer because of the dedication your husband and others have for our country and our freedom. We will pray for his safe return.

jgragg 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm pretty sure i wrote the letter to say thank you. I have no idea how my letter would cause a debate.

logicsound04 6 years, 5 months ago

Stay out of it thebigspoon. My comment to Mr. Ramirez was referring to a comment he made to me once upon a time.

Did you think that Warcraft reference came out of nowhere?

=============================================

"But you gain no points by denigrating the very people who do believe in their missions and who are injured or killed in the carrying out of those missions. Get a life! Even you can't be so base as to believe-TRULY believe-that it's OK to hurt these people and their families. Grow up!"--thebigspoon

I'm also curious where you saw bozo post anything that denigrates the troops. I only saw comments criticizing those who believe this war is about "freedom".

You think it's childish to call names, I think it's childish for you to count anyone who disagrees with the war as somehow denigrating our troops. Guess it's all even, huh?

thebigspoon 6 years, 5 months ago

Ditto my 2:57 post to you, logicsound. Grow up.

Mr_Ramirez 6 years, 5 months ago

"But then again, I'm just some World of Warcraft nerd, right Mr._Rammedintheass"

LOL! You took my username and turned it into an insult!! Hilarious!! Maybe you can get a job writing for SNL while they are on strike?

Now back to your question:

Yes im sure you are a warcraft nerd......... and an ungrateful bastard like i said earlier.

thebigspoon 6 years, 5 months ago

Also, it doesn't make your arguments any more believable to make personal attacks on people who disagree with you. In fact, it makes your thoughtless drivel even less palatable.

thebigspoon 6 years, 5 months ago

Bozo, yours is the type of thinking that make Phred Phelps et al believe its OK to make funeral a political ringside. The question here is do you support the men and women who put their lives and livlihoods on the line daily for the rights of a country which has not traditionally recognized individual rights or freedoms. Yes, the war is probably wrong. Yes, the leaders of this country probably lied, cheated, and bamboozled us. But you gain no points by denigrating the very people who do believe in their missions and who are injured or killed in the carrying out of those missions. Get a life! Even you can't be so base as to believe--TRULY believe--that it's OK to hurt these people and their families. Grow up!

Dont_Feed_The_Bears 6 years, 5 months ago

I'll bet Bozo and his buddies complain about farmers with their mouths full too.

I would be ashamed to be you Bozo... If something happened that effected you or your family, I'll bet you would be the first one to blame the government for not protecting you. You should get a life, get a job, and probally take a bath.

logicsound04 6 years, 5 months ago

"This is about the troops and vets, not Bush, not foreign policies, not your political views, etc."

Anyone who thinks those things can truly be separated is either ignorant or stupid.

But then again, I'm just some World of Warcraft nerd, right Mr._Rammedintheass?

scenebooster 6 years, 5 months ago

Um, Lynn opened the door, here....

To all our soldiers, thanks for your service and prayers for your safe return, soon.

scenebooster 6 years, 5 months ago

"The comments of the anti-American Democrats to the liberal media have aided our enemies, emboldened them to attack us and as a result have galvanized the terrorist."

That's funny, people who actually know what they're talking about say that George W. Bush is the one doing that....

"Intel report: Iraq a 'cause celÃbre' for extremists"

Mr_Ramirez 6 years, 5 months ago

Most of you are ungrateful bastards (with bozo leading the parade).... This is about the troops and vets, not Bush, not foreign policies, not your political views, etc.

Its about recognizing these men and women for their service.

Kanservativeman 6 years, 5 months ago

The hardcore anti-American lefties are posting soldier hate again. The actions of the left, Pelosi, Dean, Kennedy and a plethora of other anti-American Democrats have cost us approximately 1500 lives and thousands of casualties. Their hate for GWB and a conservative Christian America has manifested itself in sedicious activities. The comments of the anti-American Democrats to the liberal media have aided our enemies, emboldened them to attack us and as a result have galvanized the terrorist. Liberals indirectly kill American soldiers by their callous, selfish unAmerican actions.

Soldiers and Veterans, I want to personally thank you and let you know that I fully support you.

God Bless You

scenebooster 6 years, 5 months ago

"P.S. I do now, and have always, supported President Bush decision to invade Iraq."

Hmmm. Which particular rationale for putting our troops in harms way persuaded you?

logicsound04 6 years, 5 months ago

"I believe a lot of people forget about the hard work and sacrifice our military men and women make to keep us safe and free."

Guess what Ms. Gragg? Our very own President is one of those people.

Don't believet that because he pays lip-service to "supporting the troops" that actually does so.

He has repeatedly tried to cut funding for veteran health benefits, while simultaneously taking the Democrats to task for failing to "support the troops".

guesswho 6 years, 5 months ago

Thank you troops! I applaud your commit to serving our country regardless of who our leader is or the decisions they make (republicans or democrats). I support you by wanting you to come back alive and healthy. I support increased funding to the VA system to make sure you will not be homeless or have untreated PTSD. I support higher taxes on those who can afford it (wealthy) to pay for this war and your care.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

I won $5. When I saw this headline this morning, I bet myself that bozo had already posted his typical poo-flinging on this thread.

matahari 6 years, 5 months ago

yea, and thanks for all the PTSD suffererers that will be wandering the streets with no mental health care........people with some major anger issues, god help us all~

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 5 months ago

See my previous post, TJ. It speaks quite directly to you.

TJ_in_Lawrence 6 years, 5 months ago

Bozo.. once again you turn on the negativity... the troops are defending our way of life, and allowing others to have the same freedoms that we have. Why do you always take the side of the enemy? Is this just left over authoritarian hatred from your adlolescent past that you haven't gotten over? Come on root for the home team for a change.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 5 months ago

The troops are dying for your stupidity, not for your freedom.

pomegranate 6 years, 5 months ago

Right on Lynn, I am with you all the way.

Lynn731 6 years, 5 months ago

P.S. I do now, and have always, supported President Bush decision to invade Iraq. Thank you, Lynn

Lynn731 6 years, 5 months ago

I totally agree. Whatever your feelings about this war, the military have to obey orders when they are called up. They have to do what they are told, which includes risking their lives on dangerous missions. I totally support our veterans. My father was a physician in the Army Medical Corps during WWII. I have the greatest respect for all of our veterans, and the deepest gratitude to them for securing our freedom, and all of our rights under the constitution. Mrs. Gragg, please thank your husband and all of his fellow soldiers for what they are doing for us, and what they are giving up for all of us. Thank you, Lynn

PROAMERICA 6 years, 5 months ago

Jessica, You and your family are true Americans.............so many now are not !!

jlw53 6 years, 5 months ago

And thank you, too, Jessica for sharing your husband and father on the mission to defend our freedom.

Stay strong and we all wish for his safe return.