Archive for Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Fight at Last Call leads to homicide

After being kicked out of club, participants wage gun battle on I-435

November 13, 2007

Last Call fight ends in murder

A fight at a Lawrence club led to a deadly shooting in Kansas City. Police say 18-year-old Dominic Bradley died after a shooting on I-435. Enlarge video

— A fight that started in a Lawrence club early Sunday led to a deadly shooting in Kansas City, police there said.

One of the shooting victims, Dominic Bradley, 18, died at a Kansas City area hospital, police said. A second man was critically wounded and two others were treated and released from hospitals.

The victims told police they had been thrown out of Last Call, 729 N.H., and met up again on Interstate 435 near Holmes Road in Kansas City, Mo.

The shooting on the interstate involved 12 men and several vehicles, police said. The vehicles were stopped on the eastbound lanes of the interstate about 2:15 a.m. Sunday. When officers arrived to investigate, several men ran away or tried to drive away, but most were caught, Police Capt. Rich Lockhart said.

Sunday night at Last Call, a patron called the Journal-World and said Kansas City officers were at the club asking questions. Kansas City police would not answer questions about the incident Sunday night, and no one in the department's media relations office was available Monday to comment because of the Veterans Day holiday.

According to the Kansas City Star's Web site, however, authorities have charged four men in the shootings. Stephan R. Sawyer, 17, DeAngelo T. Blair, 18, Deshay M. Trotter, 19, and Dion E. Young, 21, each face 20 felony charges that include second-degree murder, seven counts of assault and 10 counts of armed criminal action. Sawyer is from Blue Springs, Mo., and the others are from Kansas City, Mo.

The city of Lawrence is trying to get the state not to renew Last Call's liquor license when it comes up for renewal this month. A hearing before the Kansas Alcohol Beverage Control office is scheduled for Nov. 19-20.

The city objects to the license renewal on the grounds the establishment is creating serious safety concerns. In May 2006, seven shots were fired inside the downtown club. No one was injured.

Lawrence police have reported several weapons violations in the downtown area from June 2005 to June 2007 and many of those have occurred in parking lots near Last Call.

Comments

Rabbitgoesthump 6 years, 5 months ago

Im all for last call being shut down, there patrons would just go to west port and atleast there the cops have some control over what goes on.

I know plenty of 17 year old females who go and drink at last call and they go there because its the only club that serves them and lets them in (great thing about having boobs)

Crispian Paul 6 years, 5 months ago

I personally have known plenty of scumbags who listen to metal, hardcore, etc. Music has nothing to do with what is in your soul. Plenty of skin heads in this area that would not be caught dead listening to rap or hip hop. What's worse, racist hate inspired rock or conscious hip hop like KRS-One ("There is no peace without justice...." Sure sounds like a scumbag....encouraging peace and justice. How dare he?)

Crispian Paul 6 years, 5 months ago

Observar, Don't be a baby just because I got your personally offensive posts removed. As a loved one of a victim of murder, I am shocked that you condone people dying regardless of where they spend their time.

Crispian Paul 6 years, 5 months ago

observar (Anonymous) says:

Bet he and Paul frequented same clubs in Wichita.

When I lived in Wichita, I was a minor. I am not the "club" type in general. Bars are for drinking. You're funny though. And remarkably stupid.

Crispian Paul 6 years, 5 months ago

"observar (Anonymous) says:

Paul. think I have offended a member of the thug group. I read your profile, tells me all I needed to know. Only thing I would suggest you add is what a phony hypocrite you are. Bet you also are a died in the wool christian conservative. Same mindset. Also I lost a very good friend to a scumbag like those you defend. Once a scumbag, always a scumbag. And that is the type who are into hip hop and rap."

Are you talking to me? Paul is my last name, not that you care. You said you bet I am a "died (actually it should be dyed) in the wool christian conservative".......BWAHAHA....Not hardly.

Hip hop and rap are two separate genres, first of all. Not that you deign to learn about anything you don't like. It's fine if you think I am a phony hypocrit. Your oppinion of me only bolsters my oppinion of myself....that I am intelligent and not a judgemental a-hole.

If you read my posts, I lost my mother to murder, so you should not act as if you have the monopoly on tragedy.

scenebooster 6 years, 5 months ago

"Once a scumbag, always a scumbag. And that is the type who are into hip hop and rap."

Everyone in the world that listens to hip hop/rap is a "scumbag"?

Talk about your brain damage...

scenebooster 6 years, 5 months ago

Yes, a typo is certainly evidence of brain damage. Please do excuse me, oh high-minded hate mongers.

Perhaps there are a few other deaths today that you could celebrate?

Fred is always looking for company down at the compound...

observar 6 years, 5 months ago

Bet he and Paul frequented same clubs in Wichita.

redemption 6 years, 5 months ago

Scene-

I'm taking this:

"I've been listen to all varieties of hip hop/rap since I was about 12, and I have yet to shoot a single person:I'd better get busy."

As a personal threat since I live right by Last Call, that you are going to come down here and kill me.

Back on track though, I think it's getting better actually. The police show up before incidents are called in, in order to prevent them for occurring. Instead of seeing that block flooded with police cars at 2:03 a.m., they are being moderately placed around 1:15 a.m. And ya know what? That's kept a lot more stories about Last Call's secret agenda and affiliation with violence out of the news. Good.

Crossfire 6 years, 5 months ago

"I've been listen"

I've been think Obvious drain bamage.

observar 6 years, 5 months ago

pooks 6 years, 5 months ago

Hell, even the owner of Last Call carries a gun on him at all times; pretty sure that is illegal within a certain vicinity of a Drinking Establishment. Maybe next time there will be a shoot out with Steffes and the thugs? Maybe they will all get shot and then the club will get shut down? That club sucks but unfortunately it isn't going anywhere. I wish I could set up a web site taking odds on wether or nor he loses his license. I'd be rich just like Steffes' lawyer!

scenebooster 6 years, 5 months ago

"thought defender was pretty straight forward with statement. no mature person listens to hip hop or rap."

Oh, the genius of slandering an entire genre of music. Lemme see, rap/hip hop far out sells any other form of music, and dominates the charts....

Yes, indeed. You are brilliant.

But given your previous statements on this thread, no one is surprised.

Crispian Paul 6 years, 5 months ago

"observar (Anonymous) says:

That's absolutely brilliant. Brilliant.

observar 6 years, 5 months ago

scenebooster 6 years, 5 months ago

That doesn't even make sense, defender....

Defender 6 years, 5 months ago

"It's funny, logic - I've been listen to all varieties of hip hop/rap since I was about 12..."

So, you never have grown up?

TweakinTopekan 6 years, 5 months ago

The Dead Kennedys cause assassinations? What about the hail-storm of bullets in front of Its Brothers at 11th and Mass a couple of years ago? I think THAT pretty much proves that sports-bars are violence-generating nuisances.

I agree that something needs to be done about Last Call. A city commission meeting last year discussed this, as they where discussing passing yet another stupid ordinance to try to deal with the problem. Just about every downtown bar owner was there telling the commission that new ordinances are a bad idea, but that what other cities have done is deal with problem clubs individually.

But it also brings up the question of how responsible a club IS for what their patrons do after they leave? There have been plenty of cases where someone sued a club because THEY got in a drunken wreck on the way home, or someone that got wiped out by a drunk from whatever club sued that club because the drunk that hit them had been drinking there. I can't remember who won what cases, but I know the cases where brought to court.

vinividivici 6 years, 5 months ago

Also, I don't by any means consider myself a racist. Youngish black guys with their pants hanging halfway down their ass make me just as nervous as the young white guys in their trench coats and 40-something white men with sunken faces, and half their teeth missing.

The reasons for these being, I dated one and they beat the **** out of me, one chased me and a girlfriend down the street with a knife, and one had the balls to ask me out on a "crack pipe date". The sad thing is you can most likely guess who did what because of the stereotypes.

As I said, I am not racist, but the stereotypes created in my head and in many others are there for a reason. As long as one is willing to let the stereotypes be broken, I see no problem with keeping them as a guideline. I'm a lot more apt to be receptive to a black guy asking me how my night has been outside of Astro's or Harbor Lights or the Replay, than outside of Last Call.

Let Last Call shut down, let the "thuggz" find someplace else to go, someplace that exhibits a zero tolerance for the behavior that goes on there. Some places in town take photos of your I.D. before you enter to cover they butts if patrons get busted for being underaged. Couldn't this system also work to permanently kick out people that violate Last Calls no-weapons policy?

vinividivici 6 years, 5 months ago

I honestly don't know what to think of the last call dilemma, though I would be happy if it got shut down. The Bottleneck is right there, as is Henry's on Eighth and the Sandbar. I never go to any of them without leaving before 10pm or 11pm, especially if I have to park near Last Call. I will admit that I have never been to Last Call, but based on the cops out there at 1:30am every night it's open, the newspaper articles, and the metal detectors you need to walk through to even ENTER the premises, it's a situation best left alone in my opinion.

akt2 6 years, 5 months ago

May 2006, 7 shots fired inside the establishment.

June 2005 - June 2007, 21 weapons violations in the parking lots surrounding establishment.

November 2007, Liquor license up for renewal.

No liquor, no profitable business. No need to come to Lawrence with your Glock .47s.

doc1 6 years, 5 months ago

It's a shame that they know who Clak's killer is and they don't have enough evidence to prosocute him. Ahhemmm.. Major Edwards. He fled to another state after the murder, had no gun but bullets of the same caliber etc etc etc. and had an altercation with Clak the night of hte murder.

Crossfire 6 years, 5 months ago

btw b_g Klack-Klack-Klack is the sound of rounds being chambered. ...not the Artist Formerly Known As Anthony.

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

bigprune: I think the idea is that their new place might be in KC or Topeka, where they come from. Although they'll still be in town for the shows at the Granada if this one does get shut down.

BigPrune 6 years, 5 months ago

The gang bangers need a place to play. What local business will they gravitate to if Last Call gets shut down?

Crossfire 6 years, 5 months ago

Road Games. http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/358349.html Baby-Boys w/guns. It's a shame and a culture I am not ready to accept.

baby_girl 6 years, 5 months ago

I, too, am ashamed of Lawrence sometimes. We, as a town, do claim to be accepting of all cultures, etc., but how is saying Last Call is hip-hop oriented and only attracts black people acceptable? Axis plays hip hop and most of their crowd is white, actually frat boys, then you have the Ranch that attracts white folks, where blacks are the minority, on certain nights and they play hip hop. This is just a case of people not liking the environment they inhabit. Last Call gives people of all races a place to hang out and enjoy the music they listen to with friends they enjoy kicking it with as does Axis, the Ranch, and other venues here in Lawrence. What's next, singling out Crimson and Brews because they attract a mostly black crowd and play loud hip hop music? Coyotes isn't singled out when they play a mingling of hip hop and country/rock music and people leave there at 2 a.m. rip roaring down 23rd street. It's the same thing! People associate black people with guns and violence, well, what about white people and shotguns? Aren't these just country bumkins with their shot gun racks in the backs of their trucks? Geez. Insane.

And about Clacc, his death wasn't brought on by him being associated with rap music. His death actually involved jealousy over a female. If any of you people knew how to listen to the streets of Lawrence, you'd know this. The fact that the events in his death remains unsolved is how some people deal with violence, by keeping things to themselves so that they, too, do not end up dead.

Good luck, Last Call. I'm rooting for you to remain open so that racist, bigoted people are not proven right.

Crossfire 6 years, 5 months ago

Adrian Raine, a psychopathologist from USC suggests that damage or abnormalities of the prefrontal cortex may result in a condition known as Antisocial Personality Disorder, or APD. This disorder is characterized by irresponsibility, deceitfulness, impulsiveness, lack of emotional depth and antisocial behavior. Raine, in his study, suggested three reasons why prefrontal deficits may cause such a personality.

Highly amplified sub-sonic frequencies cause brain damage... ThumP-ThumP-ThumP-My Brain Took A Dump... Klack-Klack-Klack-It's a APD Attack...

a2thek 6 years, 5 months ago

This is a numbers game and everybody knows it. The more people that not only start to overpopulate the US and Midwest areas you will start to see more and more violence/killings. I mean where is everybody to live, stay and go? I mean after all we have so many border jumpers everyday that dont cause to much violence but steal the wage and everything else everyday. I mean let's be realistic here people I think the real problem lies in what our real fears are like how KC/Topeka/lawrence are connected as one and everybody acts as if its not happening. It happend 5-10 years ago. I think LPD is doing one hell of a job being everyday I turn on the TV and there are shootings in Topeka , shootings in KC and just a little bit of violence in Lawrence. I mean I think if you closed down Last Call the violence would increase to a much heavy amount and guess what, I think kids wouldnt have a place to go hang out and you would end up with kids from Topeka or KC or Lawrence driving around doing that thing where they hang out the window and point Uzi's at people or their houses. ITs here people dont act like its not. Anyone own a scanner? Well I do and 2 years ago I listened in on what took 25 cops every other night to break up fights at a place commonly known as "LA's" or Los Amigos in N lawrence. There was people stabbed and arrested with guns in possession and it carried about a two sentence article in the paper the next day and sometimes never even made the paper. Also they did a report in the paper that over by the hospitol around 2nd or 3rd st and on the west side around Jana Dr that there was reports of gun fire every night and that was two years ago. When I lived at Apple Lane Apts off 15th and Kasold 5 years ago someone drove down Lawrence ave firing a semi assault rifle from 15th all the way to 6th St. Police came and couldnt catch them but did find all the signs along Lawrence Ave had bullet holes in them and said the rest of bullets they probably fired up in the air. So not to put a scare in everybody but if you havent lived around it quit acting as if Last Call is the only source of violence in Lawrence and the US and thank the LPD because they are doing one hell of a job.

whatupdown 6 years, 5 months ago

Its those crazy Mizzou people.

horsegirl 6 years, 5 months ago

It is a cultural thing. Not a black culture but a gangsta culture. There are a lot of blacks who are not gangstas and people who listen to rap and hip hop who aren't toten' guns. But obviously there is something about this club which draws the thugs. For that reason it should be closed. Not because it plays hip hop. No one deserves to get hurt. Even the kids drawn to it. Don't let the kids congregate and maybe they'll be less likely to hurt each other and innocent bystanders. BTW I like hip hop and I'm over 40, white, and grew up in Topeka. Graduate of highland Park and KU. Proud of both.

George_Braziller 6 years, 5 months ago

Hoots - Last Call isn't being picked on, for me it is just self preservation. My house is close enough to Last Call that it literally could "hit that close to home." I just hope that I or my neighbors aren't the ones who are hit before some people get it.

George

Hoots (Anonymous) says:

For the people here who think Last Call is being picked on:just wait until one of these problems doesn't make it out of town and ends up putting a bullet in your boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife, son, daughter, or friend. Does it have to hit that close to home before some people GET IT?

Newell_Post 6 years, 5 months ago

I went to a fight the other night and a Hip-Hop club broke out.

Hoots 6 years, 5 months ago

For the people here who think Last Call is being picked on...just wait until one of these problems doesn't make it out of town and ends up putting a bullet in your boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife, son, daughter, or friend. Does it have to hit that close to home before some people GET IT?

George_Braziller 6 years, 5 months ago

It doesn't matter if Last Call was a bar, a restaurant, or an antique store or if the clientele was black, white, or Martian. Any business that has the violence track record of Last Call associated with it should be shut down as a public nuisance. There is already an ordinance on the books that can lock the doors The disagreement started at Last Call and it's somehow without blame? It's only the most recent of a very long series of events that have connections to Last Call.

gkwhdw 6 years, 5 months ago

If everyone could quit tweakin' and taking drugs as an alternative to feelin good, maybe when they went to the bars and just drank they wouldn't fell the urge to pull a gun or fight so much. All of the above mixed together is going to lead to disaster,and thanks to the wonderful world of lawmakers, now everyone can go and buy guns etc. real easy. Who wants to be in gangs, anyway? What a bunch of immature kids!

a2thek 6 years, 5 months ago

He was a hip-hop artist who performed in a musical genre that often focused on a world of money, drugs, guns and women.

A year ago, that world became all to real for Anthony "Clacc" Vital.

On the morning of Oct. 15, 2006, the body of Vital, 28, was found along the side of a private country lane west of Lawrence. He died from multiple gunshot wounds.

The case remains unsolved

This is where hip-hop and violence go hand in hand. I believe BOmbsquad faded after this.

My point is all these guys make choices in life and they all have to wager from them. Dennis Steffes runs a business from a business standpoint and to make money. These hip-hop rap artists rap about their lifestyles and have to live up to what they are saying. Bad messages lead to bad things.

FatTony 6 years, 5 months ago

You know once the SLT is built these "thugs" that live in Topeka and KC will be able to bypass Lawrence much easier to have rolling gun battles

scenebooster 6 years, 5 months ago

It's funny, logic - I've been listen to all varieties of hip hop/rap since I was about 12, and I have yet to shoot a single person...I'd better get busy.

logicsound04 6 years, 5 months ago

Come on scene, when a white group references death and guns, that's just "rock". Harmless, carefree "rock".

When rap (black) groups do it, they have a specific hidden message designed to incite violence from their fans and at their shows.

If we can just get rid of rap music, then there would never be any violence anywhere!

/sarcasm off/

i_have_only_valid_opinions 6 years, 5 months ago

ThatGirl (Anonymous) says:For what that is worth-I just don't think 18 and over equates underage consumption.

Uh, hello, legally it does. There goes all validity to your other arguments if you can so easily throw the law to the wayside. Your logic is skewed.

RomanNose 6 years, 5 months ago

This whole Last Call thing is boring and predictable. I hope the Federal Bureau or ATF get involved with this place.

scenebooster 6 years, 5 months ago

""Of course a legit argument can be made that it is STILL the hip-hop shows that attract a "Violent element".""

"Gee Scenebooster, citing Ghostface Killah and Tech N9ne in your argument about the "they all don't do that" scenario is impressive. I'm sure a group with the word Killah in their name, and the other group which named themselves after a firearm are fine upstanding citizens who would never espouse any activity which could remotely include Killing, drug use, guns, or violence. I'm sure their names are just a "coincidence"."

Remembering that there was no violence at the Ghost show, that's a fairly succinct rundown of how we got here...

beatrice 6 years, 5 months ago

"But the point is they beat his ass. They didn't blow his head off."

Great point! Get the guns out of peoples hands and then you have nothing but beatings! If you want to protect your neighborhoods, then we need to do something about getting the handguns and assault rifles off the streets! Here is my proposal: Make all handgun owners register their weapons and require courses in gun safety (kind of like rquiring a driver's license). Also, make extremely stiff penalties for anyone who violates the laws (minimum 3-5 years in prison for just having a gun that isn't registered, and at least 20 years for displaying one while committing a crime, with 35 to life if you fire it while committing a crime. Automatic death penalty if you kill someone while using a gun while committing a crime).

This doesn't revoke the right to own, it just makes the penalty stiff for those who own guns illegally. But of course this would never pass, because the NRA lobby has too much money provided by the gun manufacturers to make sure it wouldn't pass. They would rather you live in fear than actually do something about the problem of having too many guns floating around.

KUDB99 6 years, 5 months ago

uhhhh....what?

I believe that Ghostface and T9 were first referenced and posted here by SB..... And you are right, plenty of fights have occured after KU football games....but it would make one wonder whether those people were there to have a good time, or,........wait for it........out looking for trouble....WOW!

And this article was orginally an indictment of Last Call, which is where I believe the problem resides.

scenebooster 6 years, 5 months ago

"Once again, the only people that are bringing up race in this argument is sb et.al:.."

Please explain to me why you bring up Ghostface Killah's name (in specific reference to violence), but not The Killers?

Tech N9ne and not .38 Special?

"Those folks that come to town to cause trouble usually find that as well"

Plenty of fights after KU football games...

"I wonder what would have happened had the same show been played at Last Call?"

So, you're saying that had the show been at Last Call, the people who came out to the Liberty Hall show would have gone apes*** and killed people?

"Yeah and they are mistaking Douglas County for Wyandotte County."

Yes, well, we are talking about Douglas County, are we not?

oneflewover 6 years, 5 months ago

Quit attracting these thugs with this provoking illicit rap "music" and it will be a good start in driving the whole gang banger, drug pusher, prison-bound, good for nothing culture we call hip-hop out of Lawrence. Get those thugs and wannabes the hell out of here.

Andini 6 years, 5 months ago

Nothing good ever happens if you're out late at night.

akt2 6 years, 5 months ago

Yeah and they are mistaking Douglas County for Wyandotte County. Any way they want to spin it, they are all one toke over the line if they think it's going to fly.

KUDB99 6 years, 5 months ago

Once again, the only people that are bringing up race in this argument is sb et.al.....

And I'm very happy that there was no violence after the Liberty Hall show, which once again plays to my point that people who come to town to see a show, listen to music, and have a good time usually find a good time. Those folks that come to town to cause trouble usually find that as well. Maybe we should look to how Liberty Hall puts on a show as a good model for how to be a venue for entertainment.

I wonder what would have happened had the same show been played at Last Call? Is it racist of me to predict that there would have been problems at Last Call, and not at Liberty Hall?

blue73harley 6 years, 5 months ago

Which "clan" are you guys talking about? Has the KKK changed to KKC?

scenebooster 6 years, 5 months ago

"I'm sure a group with the word Killah in their name, and the other group which named themselves after a firearm are fine upstanding citizens who would never espouse any activity which could remotely include Killing, drug use, guns, or violence. I'm sure their names are just a "coincidence"."

Uh huh. I remember your outrage at those bastards in .38 Special.

So, what you seem to be saying is that should a music act discuss or even glorify violence or drug use, the listener is sure to lose control and go and do drugs and kill people?

Did you see Saw 1, 2, 3, or 4? If you didn't, I guarantee that someone you know did...have they killed anyone for fun lately?

scenebooster 6 years, 5 months ago

"Gee Scenebooster, citing Ghostface Killah and Tech N9ne in your argument about the "they all don't do that" scenario is impressive."

Uh huh. Let's remember something here, genius: nothing violent occurred at the show...which kind of screws up the point you were attempting to make, see?

I suppose that you're very worried about the impending violence that's sure to occur at shows by The Killers, right?

Oh, wait...they're white, forget it.

KUDB99 6 years, 5 months ago

Interesting, too, Travis....how is it racist (referring to your Clan reference) to speak against a culture that is destructive and dangerous. It's the same thing whether it's Tech N9ne or Eminem.

I'm a great proponent of First Amendment rights, and it's important that people have a venue to express themselves. There has to be a way that that can be done safely, without feeling the need to shoot each other. There is a difference between when a group comes to town to listen to a musician or artist and when a group comes to town looking for trouble at a venue that abides it. What's a shame is the owner of Last Call still doesn't feel any personal responsibility.

akt2 6 years, 5 months ago

I think 946 New Hampshire is where most of the real drunks hang out. If it's not the frat boys beating on them, they are beating on each other. It's a way of life.

True no one has been shot at Last Call. The KC/Topeka gun connection is all kind of new to Lawrence. Drive by shootings will probably be the next big thing.

TravisTyson 6 years, 5 months ago

The issue was how its affecting our community. Regardless of Frat Boy, Thug, Stoner, Hippie, etc.

scenebooster 6 years, 5 months ago

"He was probably drunk too. "

Something that neither of us know...so why say it?

"But the point is they beat his ass. They didn't blow his head off."

How many people have been shot and killed in front of Last Call?

Oh, right - zero.

akt2 6 years, 5 months ago

If that's the case, then sorry for the recipient. He was probably drunk too. But the point is they beat his ass. They didn't blow his head off.

offtotheright 6 years, 5 months ago

Harmless? Not very bright there are ya nkt2?

scenebooster 6 years, 5 months ago

"Their injuries fall more under the category of "drunken antics". "

Uh huh. I'm very sure that the guy that I saw get the living s* kicked out of him by a group of eight or so frat boys in the middle of New Hampshire street at 2:30 in the morning feels the exact same way.

Those kooky frat boys.

akt2 6 years, 5 months ago

The Frat boys don't carry guns. They get drunk and punch walls, or fall down stairs. I watch them get their skulls stapled back together on a regular basis. Their injuries fall more under the category of "drunken antics". They are harmless to the public.

ThatGirl 6 years, 5 months ago

i_have_only_valid_opinions (Anonymous) says:

girl (Anonymous) says:

last call is a 18 and over club: so they were not underage

If so, this is part of the problem. Why would you have an 18 and older rule at a club known for violence. It is typically the younger, ego maniacal punks that feel invincible and start crap with other people. And you can't tell me that they weren't getting served alcohol. I don't buy that for a minute.

I'm showing my age here, but when I was freshman at KU "Last Call" was called Tremors, and was also an 18 and over club. I can remember being at Tremors and/or Granada on many a weekend night, and not once was I ever served alcohol at either location. They took their licenses seriously. For what that is worth--I just don't think 18 and over equates underage consumption.

scenebooster 6 years, 5 months ago

Hmmm. Ghostface Killah and Tech N9ne played at Liberty Hall saturday nite...how many "violent" instances occurred there?

"And Tweakin', your comment about the Frat boys causing more fights and issues in downtown is so ludicrous, it's nearly laughable. "

Umm, no it's not. I've worked downtown for 5+ years, getting off at 2am (right next to Last Call, BTW), and I've seen exponentially more fights involving frat boys from the Sandbar than I have from Last Call.

"Hmmm, wouldn't it be nice if rap artists didn't include guns, fighting dogs, illicit drug use, and other "stereotypical" things in their music."

Yeah, cuz they all do, don't they?

akt2 6 years, 5 months ago

I don't accept a bunch of gun packing, hip hopping criminals coming to town every Saturday night. If that's stereotyping then so be it. Seriously, go down there some time and see it for yourselves. It is quite a sight. It is not something that you'll witness anywhere else in this county. I don't understand what makes it so attractive to drive to Lawrence, be stereotyped, get your vehicle towed, have the police watching your every move, and possibly have your guns and/or drugs confiscated, and go to jail. Does that sound like fun?

TravisTyson 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey guys, I'm just calling it the way I see it. Have fun at your Clan meeting.

KUDB99 6 years, 5 months ago

Wow, TravisTyson, seems to me the only group that's acting in a "stereotypical" manner are the thugs that are trying to shoot each other.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 5 months ago

Perhaps you should start a "Huggz for Thuggz" campaign. Camp outside the Last Call on the weekends and hug every gun-toting, drug dealing criminal that you see. Maybe then the shootings will stop.

devilsrighthandman 6 years, 5 months ago

I remember reading a post not too long ago about this problem that made me laugh. Build a moat! If you close down Last Call, won't "that crowd" find another place to hang out? Maybe another bar, yet some would have Lawrence close all bars. They could move to our parks and then we would have to close them much to the dismay of our children. So, he said with much sarcasm, let's put doormen with metal detectors at the toll gates of I-70, 59, 40 and K-10. The Czar of Lawrence could then assess their dress and personality and deny them entry to our utopian world. We would then breed only the best of the best. On a serious note, I do agree that Last Call does have some issues to address, as do all bars. Country bars, "towny" bars and hotel bars have the same problems that hip-hop clubs have.

TravisTyson 6 years, 5 months ago

Wow. Based on these comments I'm ashamed of Lawrence. We claim to be more accepting, but I guess that's not true. I'm not siding with street violence, but you have definately displayed an array of stereotypes. Shame.

KUDB99 6 years, 5 months ago

You see, offtotheright, they won't just kill each other. Stray bullets are the true menace here. Unfortunately, bullets don't just "magically" stop at their intended target and drop to the ground. It's only a matter of time before an innocent bystander is killed by someone from this club.

And Tweakin', your comment about the Frat boys causing more fights and issues in downtown is so ludicrous, it's nearly laughable. The thing I remember about going to college in Lawrence, and going to the bars downtown, is the total number of bar fights that I had seen, which weren't very many, never seemed to involve gun play.

There has been shootings at the Grenada, and a couple of other places around downtown. But it always seems to center around the thug rap scene. This isn't a racial issue, it's a cultural issue. So many people with guns, and an intention to use them, and no fear of the consequences is inherently dangerous. Unfortunately, I don't know of any other way to prevent the violence other than censoring this type of activity downtown. I'd be very interested to see what other towns have done to curb this type of violence.

Bud Stagg 6 years, 5 months ago

Thank god they took the gun battle back to KC. Just think if this happened running down Mass st. Lots of bystanders. How nice if they weren't here with their guns in the first place...

Wouldn't we close a store downtown that attracted rats and infested other buildings and brought disease to the area?

hawkperchedatriverfront 6 years, 5 months ago

Why doesn't the Chamber of Commerce and the commissioners get all their friends in suits and ties and show up first and pack the place. Then when the "regulars" come, the FIRE DEPARTMENT can come and shut down the place because it is crowded. God this town is business dumb!

oldgoof 6 years, 5 months ago

Two words: attractive nuisance

offtotheright 6 years, 5 months ago

What if they had been at Tellers, or say Target....could we blame them and try to shut them down? This is stupid!

I don't give a rats arse if these thugs kill each other! Let them have at it!

kubacker 6 years, 5 months ago

Stop using the word "then" for "than." It's an automatic toilet flusher for any argument you're trying to make! Thanks NEA!

"....MORE actual shootings and fights then Last Call...."

FatTony 6 years, 5 months ago

How many other shootings in KCMO can we blame on the Last Call.....

TweakinTopekan 6 years, 5 months ago

Shardwurm (Anonymous) says:

I'm shocked to find out that a hip-hop oriented club has violence associated with it. Really surprising. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I haven't kept a chart, but hasn't the Grenada actually had MORE actual shootings and fights then Last Call?

But in my experience in downtown Lawrence, it is by and large the fratboy types that commit far more violence on the streets and sidewalks.

It seems like the hip-hoppers or gang-bangers mostly just keep their violence among themselves. It is the fratboys that randomly attack other people without provocation.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

close Last Call/revoke liquor license, thugs don't come to town for it...nice. CLOSE LAST CALL!

daddax98 6 years, 5 months ago

kubacker...not long for the board even though I think the JW should leave comments like that up

i_have_only_valid_opinions 6 years, 5 months ago

girl (Anonymous) says:

last call is a 18 and over club: so they were not underage

I went and visited Last Call a few weeks ago just to see what the environment was like because of all the crap that goes on. I feel very strongly that the club fosters and hugely negative vibe, and it has yet again let this vibe spill out into the streets in a violent and deadly manner. No, the shooting didn't happen at Last Call, but the mindset certainly couldn't be helped by being there that night. They are surely linked to each other because the fight started INSIDE Last Call.

kubacker 6 years, 5 months ago

I'll say it!! The Last Call is nothing but a magnet for every black street punk in a 75 mile radius of Lawrence!! It does nothing for and provides no benefit whatsoever to Lawrence or the music scene of the city, and is a murder scene waiting to happen as well as a gathering place for street ciriminals ready and willing to carry out vehicle-to-vehicle running gun battles through the streets and neighborhoods of our city!

costello 6 years, 5 months ago

My condolences to the family of this young man. What a senseless loss.

girl 6 years, 5 months ago

last call is a 18 and over club... so they were not underage

thebcman 6 years, 5 months ago

Thanks again, Mr. Steffes, for attracting only the finest, law-abiding citizens to your wonderful, family-oriented club. It's people like you that make this city one of the safest, finest places to raise a family.

akt2 6 years, 5 months ago

Let's just say it's a menace to society. Ours. I pass that way every Saturday night after work around 1:30a. That would be Sunday morning actually. I can see for myself what is going on. Maybe not inside, but outside. If they had the guns when they got into the gunfight on the interstate, then they had the guns when they were in Lawrence. I particularly enjoyed the towing method they were using this past Saturday night. It looked like they had a car hauling truck parked in the middle of the block, and were loading it up. How innovative. These obvious criminals from out of town, need to learn that if they are going to play in Lawrence, they are going to pay in Lawrence.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 5 months ago

"How is this incident going to be blamed on Last Call for the club throwing people out who were obviously causing problems in the club?"

After everything that has happened at Last Call, I am concerned about who the Last Call attracts. Why do THEY have so many problems? Who are they marketing themselves toward? This is seriously thuggish behaviors. Yeah, it's good that they kicked them out (common sense), but prevention is better than cure. I say that Last Call attracts these patrons, so yes, they should share blame.

blue73harley 6 years, 5 months ago

Now if we could just convince the Topeka crew to not start blasting caps until they were outside Larryville city limits...

Shardwurm 6 years, 5 months ago

smitty 6 years, 5 months ago

I couldn't help but wonder the same thing about the underagers. Were they the ones thrown out?

Thrown out??? How did they even get in if underage? Have all the surrounding communities illiminated gang banger venues?

tweetybird2 6 years, 5 months ago

I think the key words here are "thrown out of Last Call". Someone was doing their job.

introversion 6 years, 5 months ago

Lets just say there's no link between Last Call and all the gun-related incidents in the area surrounding the club.... man, is that the worst luck ever? You open a hip-hop oriented club, right at the same time that there's a rogue infestation in the very same neighborhood of people in inappropriate possession of weapons!

It looks as though Mr. Steffes has simply fallen on bad luck, really.

Dave McClain 6 years, 5 months ago

In reading the article, it was not clear to me if the 3 arrested under the age of 21 were part of the group thrown out of the club. And the one reported homicide was also under 21. The article leads one to believe that the fight traveled from the club to the I-435 destination. Odd that the majority listed are all under 21. If they were, hmm..

Sounds to me the grounds for not renewing the liense would be serving alchohol to minors if the rest of the story were known.

baby_girl 6 years, 5 months ago

How is this incident going to be blamed on Last Call for the club throwing people out who were obviously causing problems in the club? Is it not their job to keep the environment safe and fun for the patrons that are there to have an enjoyable time and not looking for a fight?? When is this going to stop? I am so sick of people blaming every little incident that happens around Last Call and in surrounding parking lots, streets, highways, interstates on the club. People do park in those back parking lots to peruse Mass street, too. It's not the club's fault, it's the idiots that choose to go there and start problems or choose to travel with illegal substances, etc. We cannot control what people do outside the club, but what happens inside the club is controlled to the best of the owner's abilities. It's due to the attractiveness of the environment that people go there. It's not to cause problems. Geez. Grow up, people and quit blaming the club.