Archive for Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Drowned fisherman identified, from Lawrence

November 6, 2007

A man who drowned at Lake Shawnee in Topeka has been identified as a Lawrence resident.

The Shawnee County Sheriff's Department said Eric Cruce, 34, was fishing at the lake Monday morning when he fell in the water and drowned.

Other fishermen at the lake pulled Cruce from the water and performed CPR until paramedics arrived, but he died at the scene.

Comments

GretchenJP 7 years, 1 month ago

Did he catch a huge fish that pulled him in or something? How sad. :o(

GretchenJP 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm guessing he lost his balance and couldn't swim but, like you said Py, even a good swimmer can be caught off guard. How tragic... and right before Thanksgiving. :o(

ChasL 7 years, 1 month ago

I've been fishing with Eric for the last 2 years(Tournament partner) and he loved to fish Shawnee for trout. He would wade out from shore and use long rods with light line to reach fish other couldn't, obviously something bad happened that caused him to go under. I don't have any other details than what has been reported in the papers, but I know he will truly be missed by my family and me.

I'll also be willing to bet the house that ZERO beers were involved.

GretchenJP 7 years, 1 month ago

ChasL: I'm so sorry you lost your friend, that brings tears to my eyes as well. I know you, his friends and his family will never ever be the same. Maybe to prevent something horrible like this happening in the future something could be put into place to make the fishermen safer?

Unix_Admin 7 years, 1 month ago

Windlass- You should be ashamed of yourself! I knew Eric and he suffered from seizures. They think he had one while out their fishing. He was an avid fisherman and more importantly, the father of two young girls. People like you need to get a new hobby and stop posting about things that have such a impact on people. You make me sick!!!!!!!! Go get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only hope that you don't have any children, or anything so tragic happen in your life! You are loooooooser!

pace 7 years, 1 month ago

It is poor man who speaks ill of hearing someone had died. I would suggest you apologize and learn but my guess that you have had that opportunity before and passed. Even if the person had made some mistake in judgment there is no need to hark such bleating where the family and friends would read it while fresh in grief.

GretchenJP 7 years, 1 month ago

Someone shouldn't talk crap on a person they've never met, especially a person who has lost their life. You're right, Pace, WindlASS should apologize because an ASS is just what he is. Eric, his friends and his family deserve more respect than that. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know your holidays will never ever be the same. My heart goes out to you.

Danielle Brunin 7 years, 1 month ago

ChasL and Unix,

I am very sorry for your loss. According to wibw in Topeka, they think he had epilepsy and accidentally drowned due to a seizure. Once again, very sorry...

twinkle 7 years, 1 month ago

Windlass...keep in mind please that there are two little girls out there that have lost their Daddy., one of them is our Granddaughter. Shame on you for your judgements of Eric., and the hurtful things you have said.