Archive for Sunday, November 4, 2007

Moving with a cat

November 4, 2007

Cats are creatures of habit. You find them sitting in the same window each morning, sleeping in the same spot each afternoon. Moving to a new house can be extremely stressful for them.

To make your cat as calm and comfortable as possible, put a cat carrier with a soft towel in it near the place where she usually sleeps for a week or two before the move so she can get used to it. She might even climb in and nap there.

On moving day, keep her sequestered in one room so the movers don't frighten her or let her out; it's a good idea to tape a sign on the door. Your pet will be calmer when it's time to finally leave.

Once at your new house, put the animal in a bedroom and close the door to let her get used to the sounds and smells of the new place. Make sure you have her favorite food, water and usual cat litter. And if you buy a collar printed with your new address and phone, you'll be better prepared if your cat slips out to explore the new neighborhood.

Comments

sourpuss 6 years, 5 months ago

I've traveled all over with my cats and they don't give a fig about where they are as long as I am there. They love hotels. They get bored if I don't take them on a trip occasionally.

fraublucher 6 years, 5 months ago

What's wrong with taking care of your cats? Clyde must not have one, because he will have socks tomorrow.

GretchenJP 6 years, 5 months ago

This is an informative and useful article but I think it belongs in another forum, not a newspaper. While we're on the subject, though, I've had cats my whole life and they're definitely creatures of habits. They get spooked if you just move a fiber on your carpet much less move THEM to new surroundings. Be patient with them and they'll adjust.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 5 months ago

Years ago I moved my cat, who hated cars. He managed to get out of the car, and jump out the window before I could say "oh no." He landed on all fours, then skidded around like a cartoon cat, then shot off. Luckily, we were near the old place, and he wasn't hurt, but I didn't have to trim his claws for awhile. I finally got a kitty tranquilzer to take him to the new place.

clyde_never_barks 6 years, 5 months ago

Be sure to join us tomorrow for, "Socks, then shoes...a practical guide for how to dress."

camper 6 years, 5 months ago

If you can, try to import a wasp or something into your new place. This will take the cat's mind off of his/her new habitat.

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

What if you have four cats, not one, and sticking them together does not generally make them calm?

RKLOG 6 years, 5 months ago

Now therein lies a news story.