24 hours in Lawrence Community stories

A day like any other

If the goal of this project is to portray a day in the life of our town, capturing both the mundane and the extraordinary, then my contribution will fit right in.

May 22, 2007


Really, it was. If the goal of this project is to portray a day in the life of our town, capturing both the mundane and the extraordinary, then my contribution will fit right in. It pretty much covers the whole day.

It was a day like any other. I woke up around 6:30, listened to the birds singing for a while, got up and got dressed, came downstairs to make coffee, opened the door to let the cat in and get the paper (the Journal-World, of course), fed the cat, went into my office (I telecommute to a job back in the D.C. suburbs, as managing editor of a bimonthly health policy journal), turned on the computer, and started to work. I turned on the XM satellite radio to 77, "Audio Visions" (the new age channel), ate a bowl of organic rice cereal, drank my coffee, skimmed the paper, read the overnight e-mail, including the daily New York Times and Washington Post, then launched right in.

It was a workday like any other. I whittled away at the copyediting of a long paper on substance abuse benefits in employer health coverage (they are eroding), answered some queries from authors and fellow editors, read some galleys, made a couple calls. I sent a posting to an editors' e-mail list about the Greensburg tornado. At 11 a.m., I turned the XM radio to channel 167, Air America, for the Ed Schultz Show (progressive talk radio). Before I knew it, lunchtime had arrived. After a turkey sandwich and some leftover acorn squash, and a glass of iced tea, I was back at it again. At 1 p.m. I turned the XM radio to the Royals-Athletics game. That turned out to be a mistake, as the As thumped the Royals 17-3.

But somehow the afternoon flew by. I edited some press releases and blog postings, finished up that article on substance abuse, answered e-mail, visited a few blogs, discussed how to type diacritical marks in Portuguese with a fellow editor, updated a couple of programs, and rebooted the PC. At 5 p.m. someone knocked on my door. It was Susan, whose garden is on this year's master gardener tour, June 2-3. I am compiling the list of plants for her extensively planted gardens north of town; she was here to drop off pages and pages of handwritten notes. We chatted about gardens and cats for a few minutes, then she left. I finished up my work, put on my walking shoes and clipped on my iPod, and went out for my daily two-mile walk (all the way down New Hampshire to 23rd Street, over to Mass, then all the way back).

As I returned, my cell phone was ringing in my purse on the chair; it was my parents, who live in a small town north of Wichita. We solidified plans for a pre-Mother's Day get-together on the 12th. Then I picked up the phone again and ordered a couple Jimmy John's sandwiches for my boyfriend and me (him: Big John; me: Sorry Charlie). We spent the rest of the evening channel-surfing, then turned in early.

My day was just like many others. But this narrative should serve as a contrast, so that the extraordinary days others had will stand out against the plain backdrop that was my May 10.


lunacydetector 10 years, 11 months ago

i learned three things:

isn't it illegal to have your cat roaming free (without a leash), or not? i thought air UNamerica was bankrupt and off the air? i thought ed schults was carried on 1320 KLWN -they must've knocked him off the air locally.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.