Archive for Friday, May 18, 2007

Lawrence police officer hit by pickup

Incident occurred near 24th Street and Murphy Drive

May 18, 2007

A Lawrence police officer was injured Thursday night when he was struck by a pickup truck near 24th Street and Murphy Drive.

Officer Sutagee Anglin was taken by ambulance to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. His condition was not readily available, but a police news release said he was conscious and alert after the accident.

The incident occurred at 9:46 p.m. when Anglin was returning to his patrol car just east of the intersection. The force of the impact threw him into the front of his car, and he landed on the hood, police said.

Another officer called for an ambulance. Anglin and the second officer were able to detain the driver of the truck.

The accident is still under investigation. Police say several witnesses were in the area and are being interviewed.

costello 8 years, 5 months ago

Officer Anglin took the report in an accident I was involved in February. He seemed like a very nice guy and a competent police officer. I hope he's not badly hurt and that he recovers quickly.

Eric Neuteboom 8 years, 5 months ago

Echo that Costello. Best wishes for a speedy and healthy recovery Officer Anglin.

not_dolph 8 years, 5 months ago

According to the article he helped the other officer detain the pick-up driver, so must not be too bad - hopefully.

The_Voice_of_Reason 8 years, 5 months ago

I got pulled over by the rudest jacka$$ deputy sheriff thursday night... for what? an out brake light... First time I've ever been offened by a police officer. Seriously thought of reporting him... any who I hope this paticular officer is doing well... They have a rough job but thats no reason to treat people with disrespect.

costello 8 years, 5 months ago

Sorry you had a bad experience, VoR. I live in the county. Due to the fact that I adopted a behavior disordered teen a few years ago, I've had to call the sheriff out to my house on about half a dozen occasions (not in the last year or so, thank God and knock wood!). I've never been treated with anything but complete respect and professionalism by Douglas County sheriff's deputies. They're tops in my book. You must have caught someone on a bad day.

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 8 years, 5 months ago

With all due concern for the condition of the officer, I don't know how many time I've seen these guys stop someone for some BS traffic violation and then create a far more hazardous situation by blocking a lane of traffic during heavy rush hour traffic. Get your butt out of the street, and maybe you wouldn't get smacked.

bencrush 8 years, 5 months ago

Uhlrick_Dumbfeld_the Turd,

With all due concern for your obvious terminal stupidity, the Police Department and the Sheriff's Office always have a legal reason for stopping someone. They do not enjoy blocking lanes and creating hazardous situations. That is usually the realm of your close relatives, the idiot drivers who can't seem to find their ass with both hands. But they sure can find that cell phone. The officers are only in the street to protect and serve. Someday they may be called upon to serve even you...but just maybe they'll be too busy "creating hazardous situations" to save you from a certain demise...

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 8 years, 5 months ago

One of the bains of these blogs is the unruly child. Absent the courage to confront someone in person and lacking the intelligence to formulate an actual argument, they lurk behind their keyboards waiting to crudely insult those who do. Oh well, golly, I guess I've been put in my place by such a witty retort.

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 8 years, 5 months ago

Yep, just checked. This was bencrush's first post. oh boy aren't we lucky his mommy let him use the computer. Maybe he'll get another post in before his "uncle" comes out of the bedroom and mommy checks for her next appointment.

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 8 years, 4 months ago

If my argument is so weak,why do you have to stoop to throwing insults. If my argument was that weak, and it isn't, you could make an argument from strength and intelligence rather than name calling, but you didn't, did you?

Officers have a great deal of discretion about who they stop, where they stop them, and for what violation. They can also communicate with the driver and have them pull ahead to some place safe for all motorists, but they don't. Many of these tickets are nothing more than revenue enhancement. Do you really think your life, or the life of this officer should be placed in harms way to collect another $100 for the government's coffers. I don't. I've studied municipal courts in several states and quite frankly, very few of the citations I see wandering through have anything to do with public safety.

Indeed, when someone actually does threaten the public safety by fleeing what do they do? Do they treat it like the assault with a dangerous weapon that it is and use appropriate force to stop it, or do they just tag along behind waiting for the guy to wipe himself out?

These chases are on TV all of the time. How many times have the had one of these jerks boxed in only to have the guy flip them off, crash into their cars and drive off to threaten 100s of other citizens.

Of course, these are arguments. I know they don't have the pizzazz of calling some one an idiot, or the wit of calling someone a turd, but what the heck, pearls before swine.

Curtis Lange 8 years, 4 months ago

If they're blocking lanes of traffic, it is most likely the idiot that was pulled over that caused this. When one is pulled over, they need to pull on the nearest side street or in the nearest parking lot. People panic and just stop whereever they are which is dumb. The officers are doing their jobs. It's the citizen who broke the law that is causing the hazard. If I were an officer in such a situation, I would make sure to point this fact out to the person whom I had just pulled over.

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 8 years, 4 months ago

End of discussion? End of discussion because a self described nutcase says so? Thank God you're still not on the force. the thought that someone with your fascist mentality would have a badge is really scary.

Kansas may be conservative, but I don't think they need you telling them when the discussion is over.