Archive for Thursday, May 17, 2007

KU unveils tuition plan

Proposal would help students better forecast cost of college education

May 17, 2007

— The cost of going to Kansas University would be nearly 16 percent more for incoming freshmen, but their tuition rate would be frozen for four years under a plan unveiled Thursday by school officials.

"We want to get away from the whipsaw effect of tuition increases over the past 30 years," KU Provost Richard Lariviere told the Kansas Board of Regents.

For other students, KU is proposing a 6 percent increase in tuition for both resident and non-resident, undergraduate and graduate students, according to figures provided by the regents.

Under the "Four-Year Tuition Compact" proposal, first-time freshmen this fall at KU would pay under a four-year fixed tuition rate. Housing costs would be frozen in two-year increments, and course and campus fees would be projected in four-year schedules.

The proposal would charge freshmen $213 per credit hour for resident students, which is 15.9 percent more than the current rate of $183.75.

But their tuition would stay at that rate for four years.

Lariviere said this would give students certainty in planning school costs and encourage them to finish their degree in four years.

And, he said, it would save them money in the long run because historically, tuition has increased 9 percent annually.

Several regents members spoke highly of the proposal. They will consider whether to approve it during their June meeting.

Hannah Love, student body president, said she supported the proposal, especially given the double-digit tuition increases or recent years.

"I think it is a solution to help stabilize those numbers and curb those increases that we continue to see," Love said.

Comments

jhawkdpt 6 years, 11 months ago

9% annual increase...inflation, inflation, inflation....I graduated from KU in 2001 and the credit hour cost has alredy doubled!

fletch 6 years, 11 months ago

godot: that's just because of the initial jump to the new rate structure. It has to account for 4 years of inflation at one single time. next year's rate would only be a light (around 4%) increase to account for one year's inflation. You're basically paying the median amount halfway between your junior and sophomore years for 4 years. You overpay for 2 years, then underpay for the next years, if you were to compare with similar institutions.

jayrock 6 years, 11 months ago

I was wondering how a tutition increase can by stealing from both students and taxpayers.

Godot 6 years, 11 months ago

I would have been impressed if KU had made a proposal that locked in four years at this years' rate, and had made a commitment to reduce costs to make it work; but, no, they have to inflate first year costs by 16% and lock them in.

This is a total rip off. This is highway robbery of the future students as well as the taxpayers. Just wait for future tax infusion requests when the tuition revenue fails to meet projections due to drop outs.....Lariviere and Hemenway (if they are still here, which I truly hope they are not) will be setting up bedrooms in the Legislature to make sure the taxpayers pick up the shortfall in their bloated budgets.

Godot 6 years, 11 months ago

Lariviere must be buds with John Edwards and his subprime lender friends.

Godot 6 years, 11 months ago

So we must accept the assumption that the KU budget will inevitably increase every year; and budgets will be determined by this built in, guaranteed increase.

What a flim flam proposal. What a bodacious money grab. What a crock!!!!

Eddie Muñoz 6 years, 11 months ago

Thank you, booze_buds_03. Well said.

hypatia 6 years, 11 months ago

Yes booze_buds_03, but did you have a job while also going to school, were you able to participate in extracirricular activities, and did you have a family to take care of? I have a part-time job with the university, I am an officer in a few clubs on campus and I am happily married, but I would have to sacrifice many those things if I wanted to graduate in 4 years. Not to mention I would have never been able to change majors three times or take interesting-but-not-requirement-fulfilling classes. I tried going full-time for one semester, and my health deteriorated and my GPA plummeted, but since going part-time I have been able to 4.0 the past 3 semesters, do all my extracuriculars, work 20 hours a week, and still have time left to spend with my husband. Less and less students are coming into college with the ability to focus all their time to school: the real world gets to us right between high school and college and does not let go. I only wish the university would realise this; but at the same time, there is a lot I wish the university would take notice to, like required classes being offered only once a year and at the exact same time. I could have graduated a semester earlier if two of my required classes were not being taught at the same time on the same days; and these classes were in the same department and the dean of undergrads for that dept. knew they were core req. classes but did not see a problem in students being physically unable to enroll in both but yet he still sent us out an e-mail telling us we needed to take them both. The problems with KU run deeper than tuition going up every year.

booze_buds_03 6 years, 11 months ago

Not to mention the fact that it was the students who pushed for this in the first place.

booze_buds_03 6 years, 11 months ago

It is fairly easy to get done in 4, I just did it. The people who cant get done in 4 years are the ones who dont go to class and subsequently drop hours here and there. Having a class full is not an excuse, you can get in with the instructors permission, which usually is granted, or take it the next semester. Each semsester your priority of enrollment increases, so it gets easier to enroll each semester. Consumer, you are full of bs

fletch 6 years, 11 months ago

"Seems like it would be good to know what you're getting into financially before you make a decision about which school to attend."

Yeah, unfortunately, it's been this way for a long time. I used to work orientation and we wouldn't be able to tell people what the actual tuition rate for the year was until mid July. But hey, at least this way you know for 4 years, making those student loan calculations a lot simpler.

Major kudos go out to 2 or 3 years worth of student leaders on campus who really hashed this out and got the administration and Regents to listen.

macon47 6 years, 11 months ago

hey guys, quite whining, ku doenst love you they arent your mother they are just in it for the money what is your problem? do you think they owe you something for your attendance to their wonderful school get a grip

consumer1 6 years, 11 months ago

Frozen for four (4) years, what a load of Crapola. It takes five years to get through the system now. You can't get classes you need. Too many too full. Many not available all semesters. Typical KU BS. to screw the students and their Parents. Let's see the statistics on how many 4 year graduates there are this year and for the last five years. Sounds allot like a baloon payment.

Boston_Charley 6 years, 11 months ago

The deadline is already past when freshman who have been admitted for fall had to tell KU whether they would be attending here next year. Seems like it would be good to know what you're getting into financially before you make a decision about which school to attend. (It has probably always been this way, but as a parent of an incoming freshman, I'm feeling the impact this time)

jayrock 6 years, 11 months ago

students in 4+ year programs will pay the rate of the class ahead of them during the extra years. (a years worth of tutition increase) Where as the student who simple takes 5 years for a 4 year degree will pay the newest rate for his/her extra year. (4 years worth of tution increases)

Eddie Muñoz 6 years, 11 months ago

The tuition compact is for four years so the students who take five would pay whatever the current standard rate was for that final year.

middleoftheroad 6 years, 11 months ago

When I was at KU, the last year in education was graduate work so we paid graduate rates which is probably why that's not covered.

jrlii 6 years, 11 months ago

I suppose that will help the traditional, four year liberal arts student, but what about those in five year programs like Education?

IIRC, one hour will cost just about as much as being enrolled full time cost in 1973 when I started KU.