Archive for Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Schools notified of ‘unspecified threat’ of violence

Lawrence schools on ‘heightened alert,’ says superintendent

May 2, 2007

Lawrence public schools are on "heightened alert" today, as authorities investigate "a non-specific threat of school violence in Kansas this morning," according to Superintendent Randy Weseman.

"Lawrence public schools will continue to be on heightened alert, making sure buildings are secure, monitoring main entrances, using sign-in and sign-out procedures for all school visitors, and being watchful for anything suspicious or out of the ordinary," Weseman said.

Lawrence police notified local schools about an investigation by the Kansas Bureau of Investigation and the Atchison Police Department "involving a non-specific threat of school violence in Kansas reported this morning," said Julie Boyle, director of communications for Lawrence public schools.

"The posting last night on MySpace pages does not specify what school, where or when, just that a school shooting would occur 'tomorrow.' The KBI says there is no credible information to suggest the validity of the threat. Law enforcement are recommending heightened awareness," Boyle said.

Baldwin City officials said schools there are on a heightened alert and the doors are locked but they are not on lockdown.

Comments

RonBurgandy 7 years, 7 months ago

Wow, you have got to be flippin' kidding me. Why are people so stupid?

tongiegrad 7 years, 7 months ago

I am glad to see that they did not disrupt class or send the kids home. I feel bad for the seniors who are trying to get the "end of the year" stuff done.

kansasmom 7 years, 7 months ago

I heard it on an Atchison radio station at 8:00 a.m. I'm not sure why this wasn't posted earlier?

another_concerned_parent 7 years, 7 months ago

This is just happening so kids can get out of school. If parents were not so afraid to stand up to their children and say, "No, you have to go to school today. It will be one of the safest days of the year." Why would someone tell the whole world that something was going to happen before it happened? To get out of school, finals are coming up.

greengoblin 7 years, 7 months ago

Publishing this in the media only perpetuates the problem, just like any and everything else in the world.

oldgoof 7 years, 7 months ago

For those of you new to town: Some years ago when KU had a rash of bomb threats they adopted a plan where any planned exams being conducted in any specific threatened buildings would be administered in another building (instead of being delayed or canceled) . the bomb threats vanished.

cece785 7 years, 7 months ago

i THINK THERE SHOULD BE METAL DETECTORS IN SET PLACE IN THE SCHOOLS AND MORE SECURITY GUARDS PLACED IN THE SCHOOLS, 3 TO 4 IS NOT ENOUGH TO MANAGE AN ENTIRE SCHOOL. WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF IT IS A STUDENT BRINGING A WEAPON TO SCHOOL AND BECAUSE THERE ARE NO SECURITY CHECKS COULD HARM THE PEOPLE IN THE SCHOOL. NO ONE CAN STOP SOMEONE IF IT'S TAKEN PLACE IN HE SCHOOL. WE NEED TO CHECK THE STUDENTS TO NOT JUST THE PEOPLE OUTSIDE OF THE SCHOOL. METAL DETECTORS WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO HELP THE SAFETY OF THE KIDS IN THE SCHOOL.

mightyquin 7 years, 7 months ago

When they catch these people they need to make an example out of them. I am talking mandatory jail time here.

50YearResident 7 years, 7 months ago

Make a mandatory one year suspension for any kid making a terror threat and jail time for a second offense. The whole USA is getting too paranoid.

Jean1183 7 years, 7 months ago

I agree with another_concerned_parent. It's probably some kid who wants to get out of school.

When my son was at LHS, there was a "Columbine threat". He wanted to stay home that day as "all my friends' parents are letting them stay home". Of course, I was the MEAN mom who sent him to school anyway.

anothermom 7 years, 7 months ago

At the risk of sounding old...I remember routine locker checks when I was in junior high and high school in the 70's. I am sure they were looking for rotten fruit instead of the weapons of today, but it still made you think twice about what you had hidden. I am unsure why there are no routine or random locker checks at our secondary schools.

Raider 7 years, 7 months ago

anothermom: I too remember random locker checks, during class without the students present. Also, the drug dog came to school randomly and sniffed around. It made everyone think twice about what they brought on campus. Unfortunately, in today's society such things are considered a violation of privacy rights. The minute any of these random checks occured, some letigious parent would sue the school district.

Sharon Roullins 7 years, 7 months ago

It is so sad that some people have nothing better to do with their time. You want your five minutes of fame? Audition for a reality show. An added note, why did I first have to find this story on Topeka's news channel?

JoRight 7 years, 7 months ago

Yup, I believe my parents didnt let me skip out of class after the columbine-like threats at LHS (does that make me young :p ) Then again, everyone else was out, so the whole day was pretty much a "homeroom." Either way, I guess Myspace is the new "finding a letter in the bathroom" or "writing on the bathroom wall" type of threat.

The kid is probably emo too. . .(sorry, that was a little below the belt lol)

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 7 months ago

Actually school officials can search any locker at anytime. Lockers are considered school property, not the property of the student, so it does not violate their privacy.

im2good24 7 years, 7 months ago

So how many parents will keep there kids home tommorrow? I have been pondering this my self!

Mkh 7 years, 7 months ago

If this threat was posted on a myspace page shouldn't the police be able to identify the user's account in a small amount of time? I don't see how this person is not immediatly arrested.