Archive for Thursday, March 29, 2007

2 loose dogs shot; 1 killed by police

March 29, 2007

Lawrence police shot two dogs in North Lawrence on Wednesday afternoon, killing one of them.

Sgt. David Hubbel said animal-control officers were called about 2 p.m. to the 700 block of North Third Street to catch three dogs running loose.

After nearly an hour of trying to round up the animals, animal control called police to assist. That's when police say one of the dogs lunged at an officer, who fired his shotgun and killed the animal.

Hubbel said one of the dogs also was threatening to attack a child riding on a bicycle nearby. The dog was shot in the leg but likely will survive.

Comments

justsomewench 8 years, 3 months ago

hell, we're lucky to find out the perps were dogs at all. and an admission by the police and the journal world that they used their weapon. or just a video clip with an ambiguous title. that's hard-edged reporting with confidence, i tell ya.

heckuva deal.

Bobbi Walls 8 years, 3 months ago

loose dogs are a constant problem, in North Lawrence. Everytime I have called Animal Control, it takes forever to for them to get here, because they are on the other side of town. My daughter is constantly telling me that she has seen a dog loose, and it is very dangerous no matter what the breed. If my kids were to ever be bitten, the cops wouldn't have a chance to kill the dog, because it would be dead before they got here.

TheGoldenBoy 8 years, 3 months ago

Shoot'em-just shoot'em. On to hell with the vile beasts!

monkeywrench1969 8 years, 3 months ago

Wow Smitty already throwing out the refernces to Seiver. THEY ARE PITBULLS. Well if you think about it they lunged with 34+ edged weapons:

Justanopinion 8 years, 3 months ago

In my opinion the biggest part of this is that it is amazing that the police will jump and run at the call of loose dogs but that there has been no response to the last 4 times in the year that I have called about break-ins at my north lawrence property. Even though property was not only damaged but stolen they once told me over the phone "sounds like more north lawrence houligans (sp?)" but came out only one of the 4 times it was broken into.

But by god loose dogs they come a runnin!!!!!

porkchop 8 years, 3 months ago

I call shennanigans on justanopinon's story.

gr 8 years, 3 months ago

"The dog was shot in the leg but likely will survive."

Talk about animal cruelty! Couldn't the officers get better training so they can hit their target better instead of maiming it?

"it is amazing that the police will jump and run at the call of loose dogs"

Good point. They can't prosecute station drive-offs, but chase dogs? The solution promoted was pre-pay. How about no dogs allowed in Lawrence so officers can spend their time doing more worthwhile tasks. If it's not capturing thieves and vicious dogs, maybe it's some other tasks.

gemini 8 years, 3 months ago

Hmmm. I imagine the young child riding a bike nearby and his/her parents think this was a very worthwhile police call.

Bobbi Walls 8 years, 3 months ago

I agree gemini.. had it been my kids I would have been very appreciative of the fact that the police were called. Pitbulls or not, if they are mean, and not on a leash or tie out, the owners were breaking the law.. There are leash laws in this town, but so many people don't care.

Confrontation 8 years, 3 months ago

If your dogs are running around and could possibly injure someone, then the cops should take care of them. Keep them leashed, or scrape their remains off the asphalt. It's your choice.

Ian Sotomayor 8 years, 3 months ago

I agree with autie my neighbor has a set of pitbulls with some type of makeshift pen. There were three to begin with and one had to be put to sleep only after biting an officer and biting the cable man. He gets to keep the other two despite numerous noise complaints. I do not feel bad that an aggressive dog was shot on site! I have four children.

waywardjhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

In response to gemini - you couldn't be further from the truth, the child on the bike was a friend of the dog owners son and had come over to see if the boy could play, the dog in actuality was following the boy...not "chasing" him at all. the child AND his mother came over to make sure the dog was okay and were told to go home. so no, the childs family did not think it was a worthwhile call at all...more that it was an extreme over reaction of the police, and thank god the officer didn't hit the kid. do we really think it was necessary for this officer to grab his shotgun out of the car and run around shooting dogs - the dog that was supposedly chasing the child was shot first. the second dog was shot in it's own yard and he even maimed that one before shooting it in the head and removing it from the yard before the owners came home. just wanted to point out that there are an awful lot of things they "leave out"of the story.

Bobbi Walls 8 years, 3 months ago

the moral of the story, is follow the laws, and you keep your animals alive. Yes, they may have been in their own yard, but was it fenced??? Were they running loose, yes. Should they have been tied out instead of let loose to run? Yes. Everyone is so quick to blame the cops in this town, and it is scary to think that our kids are growing up hearing that cops are bad, and not to listen to them.. Get over yourselves these were dogs, not kids.

countrygirl 8 years, 3 months ago

Dogs that were running loose and shouldn't have been. Bottom line, if your dog is loose and the neighborhood feels threatened don't expect it to come home. Where I grew up, the cops wouldn't have been called, the matter would have just been handled and the owner of the dog called to come pick up the remains to get the point across.

Kat Christian 8 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps Lawrence needs to train their animal catchers or hire some with more experience (but then again they'd have to pay them a better salary - you know how Lawrence hate to pay a decent wage for these type of jobs. It's grunt work - doesn't deserve pay, but if we have to pay these people they'll only get enough to barely keep a roof over their heads so they won't clutter up the streets living on them and making our town look bad to outsiders. ) Hire or train better dog catchers. I think it was pretty aggressive of the police to result to killing.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 8 years, 3 months ago

So why did they call the cops if they figured it wouldn't be a worthwhile call? As far as the dog owners not being home, they should not have left their home without having their pooches contained first. Common Sense 101.

imastinker 8 years, 3 months ago

How dare all of you. These people risk their lives and just try to do what is best. They don't know the owner, or the dog, or it's temperment. They know what dispatch told them and what they found when they arrived. They guy made a decision that the dog was threatening, and it was loose to be a menace to the public. So he shot them. Apperantly one had to be put out of it's misery. Good for the officer for doing that.

Do you guys know how much officers make? They're generally smart people, and it's not that great a salary. They put up with the salary, then put up with the monday morning quarterbacks analyzing every possible thing they could have don different.

You people should be ashamed of yourself.

Justanopinion 8 years, 3 months ago

I Have supported the police and the city in nearly every claim that north lawrence is ignored or treated differently or that the police act inappropriately but this time I, as one oc the people who support the police etc, must say THIS SEEMS TO BE EXCESSIVE AND OUT OF PROPORTION TO REACTIONS THAT USUALY COME FROM THE POLICE FOR OTHER INCIDENTS.

monkeywrench1969 8 years, 3 months ago

They wasted an hour trying to round up the dogs. Sounds like they tried other methods.

Having been a dog owner and friends who owned dogs at any point a dog can turn aggressive even against its owner, family or friends. Case a friend had a mastiff for years and was great around all us kids until one day it decided to bite a girl who had been around him for years. Don't know why it just did for what ever reason.

Jace 8 years, 3 months ago

Wow! So the cop killed one of the dogs with a shotgun blast?!

At close or range?!

Man!, there must have been dog guts everywhere!

mushfish 8 years, 3 months ago

Dammit!! Pit bulls are not mean and vicious. This was handled very poorly!!! What if a bunch of teenager were running around causing trouble would they have been shot? Guns are not the answer, maybe a tranqualizer gun should have been used. If this was the case a family wouldn't be mourning over a murder family member. The dog shot in the legs is going to lose his leg...that sucks.

chsn3boys 8 years, 3 months ago

UM excuse me but the one that survived (thankfully) was my dog and he was just running up to the little boy who was just at my house right before that to see if my son could play. Did the officers see that??? Of course they didn't see this little boy walk into my yard, Dice was running to the little boy. Not at an aggressive manor at all. The animal control officers didn't try any other methods other then sitting in the van's for 1 hr until an officer got there. What did they try to go to control them???? NOT A DAMN THING!!!!! I really hope that nothing ever happens to any of your guys animals! Oh and to you dbrm4ever2006 - um you have been to my house a few times with these oh so mean dogs while you were getting free stuff from me. Oh and all you guys that say they sould of all been killed... You all can really kiss it. Until you know us or you know my dogs or the other dog you can't say s**t!

chsn3boys 8 years, 3 months ago

Thank you mushfish..... it is very unfortunate that either of these dogs were hurt. My dogs are in a 6ft tall pen while we are at work, how they got out is beyond me. And I think I seen somewhere that the dogs should of been tied up- um don't you know its illegal to tie a dog up for more then 1 hr at a time..... Maybe you should think about stuff before you say something for the fact of sounding stupid!

chsn3boys 8 years, 3 months ago

shadower... I am the owner of 2 of them. We were at work like I stated before- when we left in the morning our dogs were in a 6ft tall pen. We don't know how they got out.

Bobbi Walls 8 years, 3 months ago

yes, my husband has been to your house, and even stated to me that the dogs seemed aggressive. If they are not aggressive, then why do you have beware of dog signs up??? I have owned many breeds including a pit mix, and the only one that I have ever had to alert anyone to was the pitbull mix. Also the boy was interviewed by KCTV 5, and his story is a little different than yours. I personally hope that this town wises up about bad owners instead of always blaming the cops...

gabbo 8 years, 3 months ago

And I think I seen somewhere that nasty pits had owners of the same stock. Like kids when you ponder it.

chsn3boys 8 years, 3 months ago

are they aggressive because they bark when a stranger comes walking up the the house??? I think not. And the Beware of Dog signs were there when I moved into this house! Thank you very much... We didn't blame the cop for shooting him. He didn't know the dog or nothing about him. Our problem is that the animal control officers were here for 1 hr before and the 3 or 4 that were here couldnt get 2 dogs under control... Did you ever once hear me say anything bad about the cop? There again I think not!

Bobbi Walls 8 years, 3 months ago

also, if you were so concerned and locked them in a 6ft tall cage, then why not use a padlock on your gates.. then they could not be intentionally set loose... all dogs can be vicious, but lately it seems that everywhere you look pit bulls are the ones that seem to attack the most.. not just here in Lawrence, but everywhere. These dogs have a genetic dispostion(sp) to attack.

chsn3boys 8 years, 3 months ago

ya okay shadower... you can just keep thinking what ever you want. They aren't dangerous dogs- thats the problem. And I don't have a macho imagine nor do I need a dog to make me have one. These dogs were family pets, nothing mean about them. But like I said think what you want... I know the truth, everyone who knows my dogs know the truth. So I could really give a s**t less of what you all say or think.

Confrontation 8 years, 3 months ago

I hate nothing more than those people who choose to leave their barking dogs outside. The neighbors get absolutely no peace with those stupid mutts annoying everyone. If college kids can't have loud parties, then dog owners need to be fined the same way. If they have to be outside in a pen and barking at everything, then I'm 100% fine with cops finding a way to "silence" them. Is that mean? I don't care.

gabbo 8 years, 3 months ago

This is quite often the attitude of problem dog owners...they never give a sh*t less of what anybody says or thinks. Typical.

Bobbi Walls 8 years, 3 months ago

Gabbo I agree... It's never the owner's fault.

GOB 8 years, 3 months ago

I have never seen so many generlizations in all of my life. I am 26 and have been around dogs nearly my entire life and I have never been bitten by a dog. So no I don't think that every dog will "turn on the owner and bite them for no reason". I have been attacked by several cats but never a dog and I don't assume that all cats are agressive. Are there aggressive dogs? Absolutely. But not all dogs are agressive. There is a difference between dangerous and protective. I would not think a dog agressive if it was barking at me while I was on their owner's property, I am in their family's territory. This is a horrible situation, the police did what they deemed necessary...but it still very sad. A lady lost a member of her family today.