Female teacher charged with taking aggravated indecent liberties with a minor

March 19, 2007

A female teacher in her first year at Lawrence High School was suspended today after being charged with aggravated indecent liberties with a minor, a school district official said today.

Bruce Passman, Lawrence's deputy superintendent, said that, in accordance with school board policy, the district has suspended the teacher, pending an investigation.

Although Passman identified the teacher, it is the Journal-World's policy not to name persons charged with sex crimes unless there is a conviction.

"Appropriate action will be taken, pending the outcome of the investigation," Passman said. "It's a personnel matter, so confidentiality prohibits us from providing additional information at this time."

The suspect was booked into Douglas County Jail Friday. As of this morning she had been released.

Follow LJWorld on Twitter

Comments

Flap Doodle 10 years, 9 months ago

And once again, yellowhouse drags his dead horse into another unrelated thread.

And

of

name

calling

and

shouting

Gabe Hoffman 10 years, 9 months ago

Is the dating scene really that bad around here?

acg 10 years, 9 months ago

It's funny to me that when it's a female teacher and a male student, men high five each other and say "har-de-har, where were these teachers when I was in school?" but if the situation were reversed and it was a male teacher and female student the whole world is ready to hang the guy from the nearest tree. So my question is, why does it make the male student a stud but the female student a victim?

thomgreen 10 years, 9 months ago

What I find weird, is that lately it has been predominantly women being charged. Such a strange trend.

Tammie Bryant 10 years, 9 months ago

I wasn't aware that they identified the sex of the victim?

weedwacker 10 years, 9 months ago

Are we just assuming it is with a male student? I guess I missed where the article says it was with a male student. Many times these days, it can be with the same sex. Let's not assume anything until you have all the facts.

Gabe Hoffman 10 years, 9 months ago

Uh, cause it is 90% of the male student bodies fantasy to get with the hottest teacher in school. It usually isn't a power issue.

When it's a girl, it's thought that she might have had no other choice beacuse it's a grown man forcing himself on a young powerless girl.

Make it right, no.

Always the same reasoning, no.

Do I remember my favorite teacherm for sure.

samsnewplace 10 years, 9 months ago

Mr_Ramirez it was going on in the 60's-70's too. I have a friend that was educated well by his high school teacher and he wouldn't have missed it for the world.

bretherite 10 years, 9 months ago

I went to school in Topeka in the mid 80's. there was a scandal with the cheer coach and the head yell leader. She was not fired or brought up on charges. Nothing happened In fact, they got married after he graduated and are still together today.

Steve Jacob 10 years, 9 months ago

Reminds me of the "South Park" episode. One on the best ever.

Sigmund 10 years, 9 months ago

When I was in school (not in Topeka) a male teacher in his mid-twenties was "romantically" involved with the 16 year old sister of a friend of mine. The last I heard they were married and living here in Lawrence. Does it make it right, or legal, or even moral? No, but often life is much more complicated than the black and white generalizations that society imposes upon conduct. I'm not condoning anything, I'm just saying.

thomgreen 10 years, 9 months ago

Where's "you know where"?....just curious

Gabe Hoffman 10 years, 9 months ago

Well Marion now you got me curious.

Perhaps a riddle?

billybeanbag 10 years, 9 months ago

There is and has been a huge double-standard for men vs. women in terms of these things. It's societal.

I don't need a teacher, I just need a date. ;-)

thomgreen 10 years, 9 months ago

I found it, nice job on the sleuth job. It looks like she's lost weight since the USD497 picture.

thomgreen 10 years, 9 months ago

Too bad her profile is set to private, would like to know if she was married or not. I would hate to see this turn out like the Tennessee (?) situation last week.

Stephen Roberts 10 years, 9 months ago

What about older men and younger girls. i mean girls 18 years old.

Didn't a lawrence teacher marry a former student and now they have a child? I heard this is it true?

adky 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm surprised she got involved with anyone - she seems to be really into herself!

"About Me: i am really cool.

Who I Want to Meet: someone like me, only better."

Confrontation 10 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for the info, Marion. It's funny that on one of the sites it says, "Who I Want to Meet: someone like me, only better."

I guess that doesn't say much about her if she's cruising for younguns. Some women are too desperate.

TheGoldenBoy 10 years, 9 months ago

Incidents like this are so overated! I know it sounds like the two probably had sex and so what if they did! In this day and age, most people are sexually active by the time the reach 13. For an older person to have sex with a younger person may seem immoral and it probably is but that is a part of life. Get use to it!

yme 10 years, 9 months ago

OK, I give up. I can't find the site, would someone plaeeeeze tell me where to look. Thanks

Gabe Hoffman 10 years, 9 months ago

prospect....that didn't help at all.....lol

opinion 10 years, 9 months ago

Restraint please. My student child just found out about this and said a troubled student may be at the heart of this issue. Probably wise not to condemn anyone yet.

Sigmund 10 years, 9 months ago

If I understand it properly, sexual relations between consenting parties over the age of 16, not 18, are perfectly legal and "moral" in Kansas, as long as there is no other is no other forbidden relationship between the parties (brother/sister, guard/prisoner, teacher/student), which are illegal at any age.

As for the "thrill of the forbidden" that reminds me of a famous exchange:

Psychiatrist: Do you think sex is "dirty?" Woody Allen: Only if it's done right.

costello 10 years, 9 months ago

That was the first thing that went through my mind, too, opinion. An accusation doesn't mean she did it.

promitida 10 years, 9 months ago

Laura Watkins 10 years, 9 months ago

I'd have to absolutely 100% ditto "opinion".

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 10 years, 9 months ago

"brother/sister, guard/prisoner, teacher/student"

Is it really illegal for a brother and sister to have sex? Most would consider it immoral, and biologically inadvisable, but is it actually illegal? I agree that sex between a guard and prisoner is likely always illegal. What if a student is over 18? It might lead to the firing of the teacher for unprofessional conduct, but is it illegal?

Sigmund 10 years, 9 months ago

Bozo- I believe so ... http://www.kslegislature.org/legsrv-statutes/getStatute.do?number=11678 21-3520. Unlawful sexual relations. (a) Unlawful sexual relations is engaging in consensual sexual intercourse, lewd fondling or touching, or sodomy with a person who is not married to the offender if: (8) the offender is a teacher or a person in a position of authority and the person with whom the offender is engaging in consensual sexual intercourse, lewd fondling or touching or sodomy is 16 or 17 years of age and a student enrolled at the school where the offender is employed. If the offender is the parent of the student, the provisions of K.S.A. 21-3603, and amendments thereto, shall apply, not this subsection;

http://www.kslegislature.org/legsrv-statutes/getStatute.do?number=11686 21-3602. Incest. Incest is marriage to or engaging in otherwise lawful sexual intercourse or sodomy, as defined by K.S.A. 21-3501 and amendments thereto, with a person who is 18 or more years of age and who is known to the offender to be related to the offender as any of the following biological relatives: parent, child, grandparent of any degree, grandchild of any degree, brother, sister, half-brother, half-sister, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece.

Incest is a severity level 10, person felony.

Flap Doodle 10 years, 9 months ago

Marion

who

is

a

legend

in

his

own

mind

promitida 10 years, 9 months ago

The Lawrence High School's newspaper the Budget (available online in PDF format through the Lawrence high website) tends to have a list and pictures of the new staff members every year. wink wink Go look it up instead of trying to figure out stupid riddles.

Flap Doodle 10 years, 9 months ago

almost

download

a

biosolid

take_off_hoser 10 years, 9 months ago

hockmano 10 years, 9 months ago

Well, channel 5 is about to show it on the news so I am sure they will tell who she is.

hockmano 10 years, 9 months ago

Someone asked how old can you be and still be in high school. I believe in Lawrence until the age of 21. Which is way too old. If you are old enough to drink you need to be somewhere else.

Jamesaust 10 years, 9 months ago

The difference between "indecent liberties" [K.S.A. 21-3503] and "aggravated indecent liberties" [K.S.A. 21-3504] is mainly one of context.

"Aggravated" covers intercourse itself, OR touching/soliciting, under age 14, OR non-consensual "indecent liberties," age 14-16.

'Ordinary' "indecent liberties" is limited to only 14-16 year olds and only touching or soliciting. In other words, its not 'ordinary' "indecent liberties if: (a) under 14, which by law is always considered non-consenual, (b) 14-16 old without the child's consent, or (c) for any minor under 16 that includes any intercourse.

All are felonies - they just carry different sentencing categories. All will also get you fired as a teacher. And in many states, will make you a lifetime "sex offender" (if convicted).

As noted, the law (although not school employment policy) stears clear of those over 16 years of age, who are presumed - from the view of the CRIMINAL law - to be of sufficient age to consent, i.e. to form a rational choice for their actions and of sufficient age to accept any resulting consequences. (All the more reason why honest and frank sex ed is important, especially for high school students.)

Sigmund 10 years, 9 months ago

Interestingly brother, sister, half-brother, half-sister, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece if over 16 can engage in sexual relations without penalty until one reaches 18, then incest. To say that Kansas Law is a patchwork with many loopholes and gotcha's would not be a over statement. Forget sex ed in the schools, they should be teaching criminal law.

Incest is a severity level 10, person felony.

correctinfo 10 years, 9 months ago

I third Opinion and Ihatejohntravolta. Leave the person alone. You DON'T know the whole story, and there has been no conviction. Let her have her privacy. I hope every comment referencing where you can find her is removed off this site. This seems like a form of online harassment or abuse.

Sigmund 10 years, 9 months ago

I approve of the LJW policy of not releasing the names of those accused until trial, not everyone does. I have no idea if this female teacher is guilty. I do know that if the article had not specified the sex of the teacher most people would assume a male teacher female student because those type incidents confirm most peoples prejudices. I would bet that most of the posters would DEMAND the male teachers name be published in the interest of "public safety." I guess no one feels unsafe when a female teacher takes aggravated indecent liberties with one of her students.

Meh

Linda Endicott 10 years, 9 months ago

"it is the Journal-World's policy not to name persons charged with sex crimes unless there is a conviction."

Since when? Didn't they plaster the name of the guy accused of spreading HIV/AIDS to others all over their pages, long before his trial even started?

It's been on the news on TV now, even the national news, and her name was mentioned; yes, it was a female teacher.

Other than that, I don't know much about it.

Again, it seems that all it takes for the morality police to scream "pervert" is an accusation. We could wait until the results of the trial, but then, you won't necessarily know the truth even then. Our entire society is geared to always believe the word of the student.

Even though we know that teenagers lie all the time, about lots of things. Everyone will still believe the student over the teacher.

Sigmund 10 years, 9 months ago

crazyks, I totally agree. Part of this nonsense is furthered by the belief that children and women never lie about being sexually assaulted. People are willing to believe their "truisms", despite obvious truth to the contrary and even their own experiences, if it supports their ideology.

George_Braziller 10 years, 9 months ago

Marion biosolids are your constant 187,346 postings per day. Do your hands drag when you walk? Oh wait, I should have remembered, you have to lift them up once in a while to open another bottle.

Posted by Marion (Marion Lynn) on March 19, 2007 at 4:54 p.m. (Suggest removal)

snap:

When dogs or cats "download" biosolids that is usually an indication that they have special nutritional requirements and may require supplements.

The same may apply to humans, assuming that you are human and not merely a well trained anthropoid.

I'd check it out were I you.

Thanks.

Marion.

weirdalfan27 10 years, 9 months ago

According to KMBC 9 news, the alleged incidents dated back to August 2006. Since that's at the very beginning of the school year, perhaps the student making the accusations isn't even an LHS student. Perhaps she met this student during student teaching or somewhere other than school?

bearded_gnome 10 years, 9 months ago

the nature of the relationship may have caused the teen to become suicidal...ever think of that?

too quick to judge either of them!

on KLWN/news this afternoon I thought I heard it reported that she was also charged with sodomy. if so, this sounds stranger and stranger.

those who don't know Marion/mamrion/marioni/etc., he imagines himself about the status of a superhero...biosolidsman if you like...he thinks himself a real ladykiller, super manly, and an expert on everything that comes up in discussion.

bearded_gnome 10 years, 9 months ago

I also find it just so darned funny when lil ol' Marioni corrects some one else's grammar/spelling.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 10 years, 9 months ago

THIS IS A CROCK! THERE HAVE BEEN PERSONS IDENTIFIED IN THIS PAPER WHEN THEY HAVE BEEN CHARGED BUT NOT TRIED YET. I KNOW!!

yellowhouse 10 years, 9 months ago

+ + I hope her investigation goes faster than the Yellow House Investigation that is ongoing since 2005, how are you supposed to put your life back together when it goes

on and on and on? lie after lie told to the media? no no no

Ruining the Yellow House business and reputation, taking their merchandise and not logging it into evidence, no charges just ongoing investigation .... forever forever forever no end! a never ending story!

HELP! I THINK I AM GOING CRAZY!

http://www.forums.larryville.com/viewtopic.php?t=24826 *

OldEnuf2BYurDad 10 years, 9 months ago

Poor girl. She's ruined.

No more teaching for her, regardless of the outcome. Its really not "funny" at all, if you think about it. How'd YOU like to be in her shoes? With the old double-standard being what it is...

jayhawk20 10 years, 9 months ago

Idiot feminist vegetarian Lawrence Papa Nazi's. So damn sensative when making a joke about a female teacher. Lighten up a little and eat meat.