Archive for Monday, March 12, 2007

A.G. Gonzales called upon to step down

March 12, 2007

The political news shows Sunday had a constant target: Attorney General Alberto Gonzales.

Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said Gonzales should resign because he is placing politics above the law. He cited the FBI's illegal snooping into people's private lives and the Justice Department's firing of federal prosecutors.

Schumer, who is the Senate's No. 3 Democrat, said Gonzales repeatedly has shown more allegiance to President Bush than to residents' legal rights since taking the job in early 2005.

"Attorney General Gonzales is a nice man, but he either doesn't accept or doesn't understand that he is no longer just the president's lawyer, but has a higher obligation to the rule of law and the Constitution even when the president should not want it to be so," Schumer said.

"And so this department has been so political that I think for the sake of the nation, Attorney General Gonzales should step down," he said.

Comments

Porter 8 years, 4 months ago

Schumer's JOB is to be a political hack. Gonzales on the other hand, has no business dealing in politics.

Figures that you would attack the messenger, anyway.

I'm starting to think that if Jesus himself came down and told you that Bush lied, you would call him a liberal commie.

Porter 8 years, 4 months ago

What does this have to do with revenge? AG is a dirty henchman. He should step down.

Porter 8 years, 4 months ago

RT- I don't watch the "Rupert Murdoch Kissing Republican Butt" show, so you'll have to fill me in.

How are the Dems being "hypocritical" for asking a crooked lawyer to step down from the AG office?

Does this have something to do with Clinton?

prioress 8 years, 4 months ago

Porter: The Essene TEACHER (AKA 'jesus') was a liberal commie.

Porter 8 years, 4 months ago

So every time I prove RT and Pilgrim wrong, their 4th grade comeback actually translates to "figures, coming from a Jesus like you"?

Strange.

News_to_me 8 years, 4 months ago

It's not about getting even at all. It's about cleaning up the culture of corruption that the George W. Bush Age of Buffoonery has brought to politics. Getting back to the basics of REPRESENTING THE PEOPLE and following the Constitution, i.e. separation of Church and State, a separate Judiciary, etc.

rhd99 8 years, 4 months ago

And the Bush Administration knew about existing problems at Justice & the FBI for HOW LONG?! GIVE ME A BREAK! RT, belief in God has NOTHING to do with a political affiliation one wants to associate. So get off our backs with mixing religion & politics in the same breath! RT, the NERDS you are referring to are demanding accountability from the IDIOTS in the Executive Branch who have squandered our money for political favors. May this administration's legacy go down in flames!

News_to_me 8 years, 4 months ago

Representing the people who sent a strong message last election. That's EXACTLY what the Democrats are doing right now by restoring checks and balances in government that W, in all his pomp and circumstance, chose to ignore. Reigning in executive privilege and abuse of power. Better jump off the ship r_t, it's going down. Or maybe you're like your idol W, resolute and WRONG!

Porter 8 years, 4 months ago

RT, This is too easy.

""Crooked lawyer" ---you fill ME in." --read the article you're commenting on

"All San Fran Nan, the nerdy Waxman, Reid and crew have done since the joke of a 'first 100 hours agenda' is schedule and conduct hearing after hearing...."

"The liberal far-left is trying their dead-level best to drag America down to third-world status; the only way you guys will feel vindicated."

News_to_me 8 years, 4 months ago

I gues If you're going to believe what WND has to say:

Still Jihad Jaara said the alternative is better than Bush's party.

"Bush is a sick person, an alcoholic person that has no control of what is going on around him. He calls to send more troops but will very soon get to the conviction that the violence and terror that his war machine is using in Iraq will never impose policies and political regimes in the Arab world."

News_to_me 8 years, 4 months ago

I think it's safe to say that reasonable people know that we can't just up and leave Iraq. Reasonable people also know that we cannot foist our brand of government on the world. That being said, a change in strategy is what is needed. We will have to maintain a presence in the region but get our young men and women out of the crossfire. If the Iraqis can't settle their differences reasonably, then let them be the ones whose blood is being spilled and whose money is being poured into a bottomless pit.

Embolden the enemy. It doesn't make a damn bit of difference what we do, they have been, are and will continue to be emboldened.

Oh, excuse me, I think there is a terrorist at my door.

rhd99 8 years, 4 months ago

By the way, Bush, Cheney, & Gonzo with the latest BUMBLING done at Justice & the FBI & Walter Reed have just embolden the bad guys, SWEET DREAMS, RT & other RIGHT WING NUTS! May your agendas go up in flames, as well! So long, SUCKERS!

50YearResident 8 years, 4 months ago

I could tell the day Bush selected Gonzales for AG and Gonzales smiled at him with love in his eyes that he was going to be an ass kissing AG for the full term. Anything Bush wants, Bush gets.

Porter 8 years, 4 months ago

I shouldn't have tossed your name in on that one, Pilgrim. You don't call me a pinko commie like the others. In fact, you usually don't respond unless you've got a whine or a moan to toss in.

I'll be more careful next time.

Porter 8 years, 4 months ago

I gotta admit, that was a funny show. ;)

BigAl 8 years, 4 months ago

So it's ok with some of you that the Attorney General of the United States spies on American Citizens?

If this would have been Janet Reno, you far-right wackos would of had a field day.

By the way, this spying is on American citizens with no terroists ties.