Archive for Friday, March 9, 2007

Gingrich acknowledges extramarital affair during Clinton impeachment

March 9, 2007

— Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich was having an extramarital affair even as he led the charge against President Clinton over the Monica Lewinsky affair, he acknowledged in an interview with a conservative Christian group.

"The honest answer is 'yes,'" Gingrich, a potential 2008 Republican presidential candidate, said in an interview with Focus on the Family founder James Dobson to be aired today, according to a transcript provided to The Associated Press. "There are times that I have fallen short of my own standards. There's certainly times when I've fallen short of God's standards."

Gingrich argued in the interview, however, that he should not be viewed as a hypocrite for pursuing Clinton's infidelity.

"The president of the United States got in trouble for committing a felony in front of a sitting federal judge," the former Georgia congressman said of Clinton's 1998 House impeachment on perjury and obstruction of justice charges. "I drew a line in my mind that said, 'Even though I run the risk of being deeply embarrassed, and even though at a purely personal level I am not rendering judgment on another human being, as a leader of the government trying to uphold the rule of law, I have no choice except to move forward and say that you cannot accept ... perjury in your highest officials.'"

Widely considered a mastermind of the Republican revolution that swept Congress in the 1994 elections, Gingrich remains wildly popular among many conservatives. He has repeatedly placed near the top of Republican presidential polls recently, even though he has not formed a campaign.

Gingrich has said he is waiting to see how the Republican field shapes up before deciding in the fall whether to run.

Reports of extramarital affairs have dogged him for years as a result of two messy divorces, but he has refused to discuss them publicly.

Gingrich, who frequently campaigned on family values issues, divorced his second wife, Marianne, in 2000 after his attorneys acknowledged Gingrich's relationship with his current wife, Callista Bisek, a former congressional aide more than 20 years younger than he is.

His first marriage, to his former high school geometry teacher, Jackie Battley, ended in divorce in 1981. Although Gingrich has said he doesn't remember it, Battley has said Gingrich discussed divorce terms with her while she was recuperating in the hospital from cancer surgery.

Gingrich married Marianne months after the divorce.

"There were times when I was praying and when I felt I was doing things that were wrong. But I was still doing them," he said in the interview. "I look back on those as periods of weakness and periods that I'm ... not proud of."

Gingrich's congressional career ended in 1998 when he abruptly resigned from Congress after poor showings from Republicans in elections and after being reprimanded by the House ethics panel over charges that he used tax-exempt funding to advance his political goals.

Comments

Confrontation 8 years, 3 months ago

What a pig! I just love how Republicans can preach family values and still find time to do things that are anti-family.

BigDog 8 years, 3 months ago

I like how Democrats bring this stuff up while supporting those with scandals in thier party. The biggest difference is the Republican's like Gingrich stepped down or were forced out by their own party; not placed into leadership positions after scandals. Unlike, Sen. Kennedy, Sen. Frank, Rep. Jefferson, Sen. Byrd, etc

BigDog 8 years, 3 months ago

And what Gingrich did was wrong also. Right or wrong should not be about party affilation.

Porter 8 years, 3 months ago

Yes, BigDog, both parties have unethical idiots running amok. But I seem to remember only one party running on the "Family Values" platform for the last 10 years. It's a juvenile reaction when you get knocked off your high horse, then go whining about how the other party does bad things too (completely unrelated bad things, mind you).

By the way, which Republican was "thrown out by his own party".?

Was Rep. Jefferson really promoted to a leadership position? Or did you just need to make sure you had more than 3 names to make it sound like a long list?

deec 8 years, 3 months ago

Conservatives. Hypocrites. Same difference. Can't control their own pants so they obsess about everyone else's.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 8 years, 3 months ago

In some ways, Newt and Clinton are cut from the same cloth. They are both great public speakers, they have some very good ideas regarding politics, and their repeated acts of marital infidelity are absolutely shameful.

Crispian Paul 8 years, 3 months ago

I have to say this.....HAHAHAHAHAHA. Classic.

deec 8 years, 3 months ago

Actually Ronnie Ray-guns impregnated his mistress while married to his first wife. Then he got divorced

Flap Doodle 8 years, 3 months ago

Did the Newtster lie under oath about his canoodling?

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 8 years, 3 months ago

Why was Clinton even asked this question under oath? He committed a sin, not a crime.

acg 8 years, 3 months ago

"Every one of you losers would do the same thing if you had the opportunities that Newt had..."

Meaning what? That if given the chance everyone would have an illicit affair?

Crispian Paul 8 years, 3 months ago

Posted by strawman (anonymous) on March 9, 2007 at 1:52 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Every one of you losers would do the same thing if you had the opportunities that Newt had (Who would name their kid Newt?). So shut the hell up and move on to the next tree chopping,your worse then Newt.... Whiners

Strawman

Well, I highly doubt everyone here would cheat on their partners.

shockchalk 8 years, 3 months ago

So, let me see if I have this right.

Only Republicans, Conservatives, and the religious right are capable of being hypocrites, pigs, and unfaithful to their spouses.

But, Democrats, Liberals, and the rest, are so intelligent and perfect that you feel comfortable judging others from your pedestool of perfectness.

I mean, no one but the brilliant scencebooster would post something like.........I've never cheated on my wife and I never will, so I can say whatever I want about Newty.

waaaahhhhh

Porter 8 years, 3 months ago

Criminy, how many times do we have to go over this??

No, shockchalk, it's not only repubs/conservatives/fundies who "..are capable of being hypocrites, pigs, and unfaithful to their spouses...".

It IS however only those mentioned above who have been going on and on and on and on and on about how they're the ones with "Family Values".

There are plenty of Democratic turds, but at least they don't win elections pretending that they go to church every two days and only vacation with James Dobson.

When the Republicans stop claiming moral superiority, we'll stop laughing hysterically every two weeks when there's another sex scandal on the 'R' side of the aisle.

Who wants to bet $10 that someone will respond to this post with "...but Slick Willy..." or "...Democrats are sinners too...."??

shockchalk 8 years, 3 months ago

Would anyone agree that there are people with "family values" on both sides of the aisle? I know scores of people that don't always vote the same at election time but they still have good values.

I don't believe judging others is a good value. Do I ever do it? I'm sure that I do.

boldaq 8 years, 3 months ago

A man walked into a bar in Louisville , Kentucky and ordered a drink. While he was sitting at the bar watching television, one of Hillary's political ads came on. After it went off, he stood up and announced to everyone, "Hillary is a horse's ass!"

The bartender reached under the bar and brought out an oak club about 18 inches long and hit the man square across the mouth, knocking him off his stool and onto the floor.

After a minute or two, the man got up, straightened himself up and said to the bartender, "I'm sorry. I didn't know this was Hillary country."

"It's not!" .............................replied the bartender.

"This is horse country."

budwhysir 8 years, 3 months ago

speaking from the right side of a left wing platform, I find that the only liberal stance to take has been taken, democraticly looking at the republican side of this, we find that a debate is at hand for a debateable issue.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 3 months ago

Just goes to show you that in spite of what some right wing PNAC fundamentalist say they too enjoy sex. Yep and there are plenty of sex scandals out there to prove it. Even accepting ladies of the night in exchange for votes in a D.C. Hotel. Yet they did not believe Clinton should enjoy his friendship with Monica. In the world of politicians there are damn few saints if any.

But heaven forbid the the teaching of sex education.