Archive for Friday, March 9, 2007

Gingrich acknowledges extramarital affair during Clinton impeachment

March 9, 2007

— Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich was having an extramarital affair even as he led the charge against President Clinton over the Monica Lewinsky affair, he acknowledged in an interview with a conservative Christian group.

"The honest answer is 'yes,'" Gingrich, a potential 2008 Republican presidential candidate, said in an interview with Focus on the Family founder James Dobson to be aired today, according to a transcript provided to The Associated Press. "There are times that I have fallen short of my own standards. There's certainly times when I've fallen short of God's standards."

"The president of the United States got in trouble for committing a felony in front of a sitting federal judge," the former Georgia congressman said of Clinton's 1998 House impeachment on perjury and obstruction of justice charges. "I drew a line in my mind that said, 'Even though I run the risk of being deeply embarrassed, and even though at a purely personal level I am not rendering judgment on another human being, as a leader of the government trying to uphold the rule of law, I have no choice except to move forward and say that you cannot accept ... perjury in your highest officials.'"

Widely considered a mastermind of the Republican revolution that swept Congress in the 1994 elections, Gingrich remains wildly popular among many conservatives. He has repeatedly placed near the top of Republican presidential polls recently, even though he has not formed a campaign.

Gingrich has said he is waiting to see how the Republican field shapes up before deciding in the fall whether to run.

Reports of extramarital affairs have dogged him for years as a result of two messy divorces, but he has refused to discuss them publicly.

Gingrich, who frequently campaigned on family values issues, divorced his second wife, Marianne, in 2000 after his attorneys acknowledged Gingrich's relationship with his current wife, Callista Bisek, a former congressional aide more than 20 years younger than he is.

His first marriage, to his former high school geometry teacher, Jackie Battley, ended in divorce in 1981. Although Gingrich has said he doesn't remember it, Battley has said Gingrich discussed divorce terms with her while she was recuperating in the hospital from cancer surgery.

Gingrich married Marianne months after the divorce.

"There were times when I was praying and when I felt I was doing things that were wrong. But I was still doing them," he said in the interview. "I look back on those as periods of weakness and periods that I'm ... not proud of."

Gingrich's congressional career ended in 1998 when he abruptly resigned from Congress after poor showings from Republicans in elections and after being reprimanded by the House ethics panel over charges that he used tax-exempt funding to advance his political goals.

Comments

deec 7 years, 1 month ago

Actually Ronnie Ray-guns impregnated his mistress while married to his first wife. Then he got divorced

Dambudzo 7 years, 1 month ago

Once we get rid of those cumbersome guilty feelings we have about sex, thanks to those Christian rascals, we will be able to bone anything that moves with a clear conscience!!

I want to say a big THANKS!, to Newt and Bill for getting the ball rolling!!!

75x55 7 years, 1 month ago

Is anyone here actually shocked with these things?

Richard Heckler 7 years, 1 month ago

Just goes to show you that in spite of what some right wing PNAC fundamentalist say they too enjoy sex. Yep and there are plenty of sex scandals out there to prove it. Even accepting ladies of the night in exchange for votes in a D.C. Hotel. Yet they did not believe Clinton should enjoy his friendship with Monica. In the world of politicians there are damn few saints if any.

But heaven forbid the the teaching of sex education.

budwhysir 7 years, 1 month ago

speaking from the right side of a left wing platform, I find that the only liberal stance to take has been taken, democraticly looking at the republican side of this, we find that a debate is at hand for a debateable issue.

Dambudzo 7 years, 1 month ago

Are you kidding?

The guy was a Tom Cat, I'm sorry, the current lingo is, "was a dog".

Agnostick 7 years, 1 month ago

And, one you probably have nothing credible to back it up with...

Dambudzo 7 years, 1 month ago

Even MLK did the deed with a few in the choir.

But, that's another story.

Agnostick 7 years, 1 month ago

[Apologies if you've heard this before, or if I've posted it before...]

Hillary Clinton gets elected President and is spending her first night in the White House. Willy is snoozing beside her, and she's lying awake, taking it all in, thinking, "I'm PRESIDENT! What am I gonna DO?!?"

Suddenly, at the foot of the bed, the ghost of George Washington appears, and Hillary says, "How can I best serve my country?"

Washington says, "Never tell a lie."

"Ouch!" Says Hillary, "I don't know about that."

The ghost shrugs, and fades away...

The next night, Hillary is again lying awake in the wee hours of the morning. The ghost of Thomas Jefferson appears. Hillary says, "How can I best serve my country?"

Jefferson says, "Listen to the people."

"Ohhh! I really don't want to do that." Jefferson gives her a mourful look, and walks through the nearest wall...

On the third night, Hillary sends Willy to bed early and stays up, thinking she might see another presidential ghost! Sure enough, the ghost of none other than Abraham Lincoln appears--frock coat, stovepipe hat, the whole shebang! Hillary once more asks, "How can I best serve my country?"

Lincoln looks at her with his big, expressive eyes, his stately demeanor and says: . . . . . . . . . .

"Go... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . to the theater..."

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com

boldaq 7 years, 1 month ago

A man walked into a bar in Louisville , Kentucky and ordered a drink. While he was sitting at the bar watching television, one of Hillary's political ads came on. After it went off, he stood up and announced to everyone, "Hillary is a horse's ass!"

The bartender reached under the bar and brought out an oak club about 18 inches long and hit the man square across the mouth, knocking him off his stool and onto the floor.

After a minute or two, the man got up, straightened himself up and said to the bartender, "I'm sorry. I didn't know this was Hillary country."

"It's not!" .............................replied the bartender.

"This is horse country."

Tom Shewmon 7 years, 1 month ago

BTW, Agnostick, my Dad lived out the last 20 yrs or so of his life as a Charismatic-----strange religion. I near shat myself the first time I was standing beside him in church and he started rattling off some mumbo-jumbo. The congregation always would get worked up into a frenzy----like a climax of sorts, then slowly come "back down to earth" as I used to say, then someone (randomly it appeared???) would start a 4-5 minute diatribe in some language that to this day I could not describe, but it had alot of "Bakalaka, shishkabob, shoo-shoo, meka-leka-hiney-ho" type sound.

Dear god---I tried to forget the whole thing and find a happy place. Sometimes I would go home and get in the closet, curl up in a fetal position and suck my thumb.

Tom Shewmon 7 years, 1 month ago

I've known for a long time that Rudy and Newt had baggage. Is it overlooked? Absolutely not.

I don't begrudge a guy for getting divorced and as much as I hate to say it, having an affair in the meantime may be an exercise in self-preservation; if the current wife is Satan....but I don't know---every situation is different.

Reagan(oh no--another Republican) was divorced and it he was able to overcome the stigma----but he was voted in by many people who grew up with him as a cowboy/western star---they're mostly all dead now.

Now, their far-left, SP kids are voting--different day.

(I had to throw that in).

You guys are all special.

hawkperchedatriverfront 7 years, 1 month ago

Who cares? Wonder what she looked like? Was she HOT?

Agnostick 7 years, 1 month ago

Kind of a different feel isn't it? I mean, the shoe being on the other foot and all?

That last post sounded almost... well... "humble."

Maybe there's hope yet...

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com

Tom Shewmon 7 years, 1 month ago

It is hypocritical for Newt to have had an affair whilst going after Clinton for his Monica episode---but that was his charge to do, and he fell in love with another woman who is now his wife in the meantime.

Here is my only beef. The left/Clinton lovers repeat ad nauseum that it is "their personal life and so what".

Fair enough, just apply this across the board.

So far, Romney, Guliani and Gingrich have all been called to answer for their personal lives.

I have only heard for seven years that Clinton "got a blow job--big deal--and that is his personal life".

Let's be fair.

Agnostick 7 years, 1 month ago

Correction: Pentacostals, not Charismatics, might find verse #7 interesting, as well. ;)

Agnostick 7 years, 1 month ago

Yes, "family values" are good. Perhaps Matthew 6:1-6 might better explain things, shockchalk.

(Charismatics might find verse #7 interesting, as well)

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com

shockchalk 7 years, 1 month ago

Would anyone agree that there are people with "family values" on both sides of the aisle? I know scores of people that don't always vote the same at election time but they still have good values.

I don't believe judging others is a good value. Do I ever do it? I'm sure that I do.

Porter 7 years, 1 month ago

Criminy, how many times do we have to go over this??

No, shockchalk, it's not only repubs/conservatives/fundies who "..are capable of being hypocrites, pigs, and unfaithful to their spouses...".

It IS however only those mentioned above who have been going on and on and on and on and on about how they're the ones with "Family Values".

There are plenty of Democratic turds, but at least they don't win elections pretending that they go to church every two days and only vacation with James Dobson.

When the Republicans stop claiming moral superiority, we'll stop laughing hysterically every two weeks when there's another sex scandal on the 'R' side of the aisle.

Who wants to bet $10 that someone will respond to this post with "...but Slick Willy..." or "...Democrats are sinners too...."??

Agnostick 7 years, 1 month ago

"I give up."

That is probably not a mistake... ;)

Agnostick 7 years, 1 month ago

Republicans, Democrats, Conservatives, Liberals, right-wing extremists, left-wing extremists, Christians, Atheists, Moderates, Centrists, Libertarians... all are capable of exactly one thing:

Being human.

Everyone makes mistakes.

Infidelity is a mistake. Adultery is a mistake.

Lying is a mistake.

Hypocrisy is a mistake.

I'd wager the biggest mistake of all... is not learning from your mistakes.

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com

scenebooster 7 years, 1 month ago

"But, Democrats, Liberals, and the rest, are so intelligent and perfect that you feel comfortable judging others from your pedestool of perfectness."

Nobody said that - can you read? But in this instance, Gingrich said he's not a hypocrite, which is pretty obviously false.

As for my "brilliance", strawman posted that anyone with a **** would do what Newt did, and that to say you wouldn't would be hypocritical.

Well, I have a ****, and I don't cheat, so I'm not a hypocrite, and I can call Gingrich on his BS.

You don't like it, you can get the ****.

shockchalk 7 years, 1 month ago

So, let me see if I have this right.

Only Republicans, Conservatives, and the religious right are capable of being hypocrites, pigs, and unfaithful to their spouses.

I mean, no one but the brilliant scencebooster would post something like.........I've never cheated on my wife and I never will, so I can say whatever I want about Newty.

waaaahhhhh

scenebooster 7 years, 1 month ago

"I have been a girl for 39 years and I know I'm right. "

So, as a female your insisting that you know what a male would do...sounds like you've been done over a few times in your life.

Your poor choices in boyfriends does not a representative sample make.

I've never cheated on my wife, and I never will, so I can say whatever I want about Newty.

strawman 7 years, 1 month ago

If you have something to say about Newts politics that is.

strawwoman

strawman 7 years, 1 month ago

scenebooster 7 years, 1 month ago

strawman 7 years, 1 month ago

scenebooster 7 years, 1 month ago

"Although Gingrich has said he doesn't remember it, Battley has said Gingrich discussed divorce terms with her while she was recuperating in the hospital from cancer surgery."

"Discussed divorce terms"? I believe that the man served his wife with divorce papers while she was in the hospital getting over her cancer.

Again, conservatives.

scenebooster 7 years, 1 month ago

"Every one of you losers would do the same thing if you had the opportunities that Newt had "

Let's see, you don't know anybody on here, their "opportunities" or those of the Newtster....

So that was a pretty stupid post.

And no, everyone wouldn't.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 1 month ago

Posted by strawman (anonymous) on March 9, 2007 at 1:52 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Every one of you losers would do the same thing if you had the opportunities that Newt had (Who would name their kid Newt?). So shut the hell up and move on to the next tree chopping,your worse then Newt.... Whiners

Strawman

Well, I highly doubt everyone here would cheat on their partners.

Dambudzo 7 years, 1 month ago

It takes a big man to rise above his infidelities to point out the infedelities of others.

Way to go Newt!

acg 7 years, 1 month ago

"Every one of you losers would do the same thing if you had the opportunities that Newt had..."

Meaning what? That if given the chance everyone would have an illicit affair?

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 1 month ago

Why was Clinton even asked this question under oath? He committed a sin, not a crime.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 1 month ago

Did the Newtster lie under oath about his canoodling?

strawman 7 years, 1 month ago

Crispian Paul 7 years, 1 month ago

I have to say this.....HAHAHAHAHAHA. Classic.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 7 years, 1 month ago

In some ways, Newt and Clinton are cut from the same cloth. They are both great public speakers, they have some very good ideas regarding politics, and their repeated acts of marital infidelity are absolutely shameful.

deec 7 years, 1 month ago

Conservatives. Hypocrites. Same difference. Can't control their own pants so they obsess about everyone else's.

scenebooster 7 years, 1 month ago

"Gingrich argued in the interview, however, that he should not be viewed as a hypocrite for pursuing Clinton's infidelity."

Ah, conservatives.

Agnostick 7 years, 1 month ago

So, BigDog... who brought this up, again?

Did you even bother to read the article?

"The biggest difference is the Republican's like Gingrich stepped down or were forced out by their own party"

"stepping down/forced out" =

• cushy, well-paid job in "think-tanks"

• cushy, well-paid job teaching jobs at small colleges

• maximum exposure in certain media outlets (Fox News, for example)

• high-dollar book deals

• A newer, younger, sleeker wife ("sanctity of marriage" be damned)

If Gingrich has truly been "forced out" by his own party... the primary election results next year will tell us this.

Won't they?

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com

couranna1 7 years, 1 month ago

Of course he's a hypocrite Gimme a break Newt. You and your other religious right freaks are always preaching this morality family values and when you do not live up to it say oops but that doesn't mean I can't blame you for it another religious zealot exposed too bad so sad

Porter 7 years, 1 month ago

Yes, BigDog, both parties have unethical idiots running amok. But I seem to remember only one party running on the "Family Values" platform for the last 10 years. It's a juvenile reaction when you get knocked off your high horse, then go whining about how the other party does bad things too (completely unrelated bad things, mind you).

By the way, which Republican was "thrown out by his own party".?

Was Rep. Jefferson really promoted to a leadership position? Or did you just need to make sure you had more than 3 names to make it sound like a long list?

BigDog 7 years, 1 month ago

And what Gingrich did was wrong also. Right or wrong should not be about party affilation.

BigDog 7 years, 1 month ago

I like how Democrats bring this stuff up while supporting those with scandals in thier party. The biggest difference is the Republican's like Gingrich stepped down or were forced out by their own party; not placed into leadership positions after scandals. Unlike, Sen. Kennedy, Sen. Frank, Rep. Jefferson, Sen. Byrd, etc

Confrontation 7 years, 1 month ago

What a pig! I just love how Republicans can preach family values and still find time to do things that are anti-family.