Archive for Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Fresh-food dieter eats his way to health

March 6, 2007

Daniel Fisher enjoys one of his favorite Local Burger dishes. "I'm not really a salad guy, but I love that salad. I could eat it every day," says the former fast-food diner. For 30 days, Fisher gave up fast food and ate only at Local Burger, 714 Vt.

Mary Dooley, nurse at First Med, 2323 Ridge Court, gives Daniel Fisher some good news Monday. In addition to his blood pressure decreasing, Fisher's weight and cholesterol levels have also dropped significantly.

Thirty days of fresh food can do a body good.

At least, that's what worked for 29-year-old Daniel Fisher.

On Jan. 25, the self-proclaimed fast-food junkie quit his habit, replacing chain restaurants with Lawrence's Local Burger. The downtown restaurant specializes in locally grown, organic meats and produce.

"I've lost 23 or 24 pounds, and I can feel it. I feel great," Fisher said. "I have a lot more energy than I used to."

Local Burger's owner, Hilary Brown, recruited Fisher for the project, which she calls "Localize Me," a play on "Super Size Me," a movie in which the filmmaker eats only McDonald's fast food for a month.

"He was wonderful about sticking to the program and just being committed to this journey," Brown said.

That journey was to eat only Local Burger, three meals a day, for an entire month. At first, Fisher worried the healthy fare would not satisfy his super-sized appetite.

"I thought I was going to starve to death eating little tiny portions, but I had a lot of food to eat," Fisher said.

Brown taught him not to eat less, but better.

"I think it's time for people to be aware of what they're eating," Brown said. "It doesn't have to taste bad to be healthy, and it doesn't have to be fat-free to be healthy."

When Fisher went in for his final lab results Monday, his physician was surprised by the results. Not only had Fisher's weight dropped from 295 to 272 pounds, but his cholesterol level plummeted from 285 to 166.

"I couldn't imagine that someone could change their diet and in 30 days could drop their cholesterol that much," Dr. David Dunlap said.

In addition, Fisher's blood pressure, heart rate and blood sugar levels decreased.

"I guess I just want people to know you can change the quality of the food you're eating, and that you can change your health dramatically in a very short amount of time," Brown said.

But Fisher isn't ready to call it quits just yet. He hopes to get down to 200 pounds. Because he didn't cheat during the first 30 days, he knows he has the willpower to do it. To keep him on track, Brown offered him 50 percent off her menu prices until he reaches that goal.

"We've taken the first steps. I just have to keep it going," he said.

Comments

Sigmund 8 years, 2 months ago

farmgal 8 years, 2 months ago

LOL; Of course Dr. Dunlap didn't think these results could be reached without prescribing one of the many prescription pills that doctor's love to hand out.

simplifying 8 years, 2 months ago

I love Local Burger, but I cannot afford to eat there for 3 meals/day, 7 days per week....

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 2 months ago

"Local hamburger is now a health food because those foreign corporate cows are bad for you? What a load of local cow patties."

It obviously isn't that simple, but anything that smacks of "leftwing" or "hippie" has to be bogus. Right, Sigmund and Marion?

I mean, no superficial judgement is too good for you guys.

ksdivakat 8 years, 2 months ago

ok, first let me say this, Dr Dunlap is my doctor, so i know from first hand experience he is NOT a pill pusher nor does he prescribe pills for weight loss. I am considered morbidly obess and I have diabetes, in which Dr Dunlap diagnosed a year ago, I have begged him for diet pills and also to sign off on the weight loss surgery and he will not. He is a very strong believer in doing it yourself because thats the only way you will have long term successful results. Secondly, I think the idea has been completely missed, the reason this fella is losing the weight and getting healthy is because this resteraunt is organic. It buys locally from the farmers market and also from the local farmers themselves. Which means that the chemicals that are added into the foods we buy at grocery stores are not added into this. So not only is it local but also organic. Cant anybody be happy for what this person has done, just to be a nice about it? We are such a judgemental and whiny society that our fellow humans accomplishments have to be microscopically judged all the time. I hope that when im able to get my weight off that at least one person will say well done!

farmgal 8 years, 2 months ago

Your Dr. Dunlap is the exception then & not the rule. Most are huge proponents of prescription pills.

geekin_topekan 8 years, 2 months ago

A shameless plug?Obviously. "lefties"and hippies"laughing out loud!!. But,you can't argue with the numbers.

webmocker 8 years, 2 months ago

Where were the complaints about Spangles' triple shot of free advertising?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 2 months ago

What a hypocrite.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 8 years, 2 months ago

Good for Daniel. The drop in his cholesterol count is staggering. That's great stuff. Instead of going to Spangle's for a M-m-m-m-mudslide, I'm going to Local Burger instead.

aquakej 8 years, 2 months ago

It's still a hamburger. Can it really be that healthy?

Linda Endicott 8 years, 2 months ago

Considering that he probably got all his meals there for free during that month, and will now have the prices slashed by fifty percent, I guess he can afford to do this.

Can everyone else?

foldingchair 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm glad for Daniel. Besides, when did it become such a bad thing to promote and support local businesses??

short_one 8 years, 2 months ago

Hamburger is not necessarily terribly bad for you--I believe Local Burger uses lean meat and since the meat is locally grown and organic, one at least knows where the meat is coming from and how the animals are fed/grown/treated. So yes, I would suppose that burgers from Local Burger are better for you in many ways than a typical "fast food" choice such as McDs, BK, etc. Also, their fries are not cooked in oil. I believe they are baked or "air fried" as they call them. So again, much better, health-wise, to a fast food joint. Like hamburger, potatoes in moderation are not really bad for you.

So that gets down to whether or not this article is shameless self-promotion. I doubt that Local Burger called up the LJW and said "wow, we need some free advertising so please write this article." Or if they did, apparently the LJW (correctly) surmised that a large portion of their readership would read the article. If Local Burger is, in fact, promoting themselves, I say "good for them." I think we call it capitalism in this country.

My two cents. . .

Sigmund 8 years, 2 months ago

This is just so much bull. A 300 pounder loses less that 10% of his body weight, likely mostly water; and now the Local Paper touts Local Burger to buffalo Local Readers. Jarrod of Subway (evil foreign corporate sandwich shop that likely doesn't pay a "living wage" but most importantly isn't "local") did it first, did it better, and did it less expensively. And they are not shy about listing the amount of fat, fiber, and carbs for each of their menu items.

Oh and I didn't see the LJW Spangles puff pieces, but if I see another Spangle's ad on Sunflower Cablevision I may lose weight from nausea.

Mackadoo 8 years, 2 months ago

Sigmund, I guess the 119 points his cholesterol dropped was just "water-cholesterol" then?

jonas 8 years, 2 months ago

"Posted by just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (anonymous) on March 6, 2007 at 9:22 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Oh, come on, Marion, you never tire of using this forum as a method of free advertisement for yourself."

AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Snap!

Richard Heckler 8 years, 2 months ago

Hats off to Hillary Brown and Daniel Fisher for team effort and proving eating right will probaly keep the doctor away.

Local Burger besides serving home grown meat makes their own veggie burger which is one tasty delight. Also suggest trying the sweet potato fries. The Tofu burger is also swell made from local organic Central Soy Tofu.

Their salads and hummus are darn good too!

This is a healthy friendly place to chow down and grab a boulevard wheat or pale ale.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 2 months ago

Except, from what I've read, Jerod decided on his own to try it, since they said their stuff was lowfat. It was after he actually started losing weight with it that he told the company.

And at least the company HIRED him as a spokesperson afterward.

lily 8 years, 2 months ago

Who cares if it's free advertising? Obviously some do. But what the hey. Sounds like he got his meals free. He got the benefit of someone else cooking up a healthy meal and he lost weight and reduced his cholesterol in a short amount of time. All this is a bad thing how..? I'm very happy for him. I hope he can maintain by continuing on with what he's learned.

Sigmund 8 years, 2 months ago

What if I told you all that Dr. Fredrik Nystrom, an associate professor at Sweden's Lipkoning University, did a controlled study where 18 college students reproduced Morgan Spurlock experiences in "Super Size Me" and their cholesterol DECREASED?. What if I further told you that not one of the subjects ate high priced all organic locally grown free range fair trade highly touted and "As Seen in the LJW and on a upcoming Oprah Show" burger joint in downtown Lawrence? Would you still believe all the hype?

High cholesterol? Try a Big Mac with fries http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21338570-2702,00.html "But in Dr Nystrom's experiment, the first to apply laboratory conditions to Spurlock's experience, the subjects did not suffer depression and on average their cholesterol profiles actually improved."

I just wish all the bozo's would just get off of their high horses and quit with the absurd claims that somehow local businesses in downtown Lawrence (and who advertise in the LJW, BTW) are more moral and better for you than non-local businesses, IT JUST ISN'T SO! So quit with the bogus hype and propaganda trying to pass itself off as "health news."

Sigmund 8 years, 2 months ago

Oh BTW, if you can't afford to eat a Local Burger for a solid week, get a real job.

Mackadoo 8 years, 2 months ago

Sigmund, Nystrom's study also allowed the volunteers to eat breakfast at home everyday, where Spurlock's experiment had him eating all his meals at Mickey D's.

At the end of the month in Nystrom's study the students still had gained between 5-15% extra weight.

Maybe we all should get a "real jobs" like the one you have, where you can continually surf the net and post on forums, but still afford to go out to eat every day and night.

white_mountain 8 years, 2 months ago

mmm.. Boulevard Ale.. another tasty way to keep the doctor away! (disclaimer: when consumed in moderation)

Sigmund 8 years, 2 months ago

Maybe the 5-15% weight gain was because the subject engaged in a "low-exercise, high-calorie regime." Maybe if the subject didn't lower their exercise level during the study they would have lost weight. Maybe there is a genetic component that impacts on cholesterol levels. Maybe the age of the subjects has an impact.

Maybe the LJW should quit touting the "health benefits" of eating at Local Burger because maybe people will actually believe this BS.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 2 months ago

"Maybe...Maybe...Maybe..."

And maybe it's either a flawed study, or you're trying to extrapolate results that just weren't there.

Sigmund 8 years, 2 months ago

Oh the results are there and there is no indication it was a flawed study, none at all. 18 students engaged in a "low exercise", high calorie, Micky D's diet and their bad cholesterol went down and their good cholesterol went up. No extrapolation necessary.

Maybe you bozo's should quit touting the "health benefits" of Local Burger till you do ANY controlled study. Apparently are so busy you couldn't be bothered to click the link I provided, nor link to any criticism of this controlled studies supposed "flaws."

Meatwad 8 years, 2 months ago

Listen. Responding to people who post nothing but crap on here only FEEDS them and INSPIRES them to post more crap!!! If you are tired of them, like I am, you can do one simple thing AND IT'S REALLY EASY: Don't read their post. I don't.

I'm so proud of Daniel and so proud of Local Burger!

thubbard76 8 years, 2 months ago

Hey! Luckily I HAVE a REAL job... I just can't justify a $25 hamburger meal for me and my girlfriend. Their food is great, don't get me wrong, but if I want to spent $25+ I'll go for some more impressive cuisine.

George_Braziller 8 years, 2 months ago

It isn't just beef made into a patty. I've had an elk burger (REALLY good) and a buffalo burger. I can afford to put on extra weight (I'm 5' 11" and 135#) but I much prefer the taste of their burger over an (in my opinion) a weird, tin tasting fast food one. McDonald's burger . .. BLEAH!!!! The only thing worse is McD's coffee - Double BLEAHHHHHHH!!!!!

Posted by short_one (anonymous) on March 6, 2007 at 10:09 a.m. (Suggest removal)

My two cents. . .

gccs14r 8 years, 2 months ago

A dollar spent locally stays local, able to be spent by another local, preferably on something local. A dollar spent in a national chain is whisked off to some far-off land, never to grace this town again.

A town prospers when it can import money, not when it exports money.

Mkh 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm very happy for Daniel that he was able to slash his cholesterol level like that---Amazing!

Local Burger is one of the best resturants to ever come to this town, it is truly ahead of it's time in terms of where food production will have to go in the future. Thank you Hillary!

Sigmund 8 years, 2 months ago

Sigmund, is no "Sandwich Artist" and Local Booger is nothing special. You can lose weight and lower cholesterol eating at any restaurant you want as long as the portions are reasonable (don't Super Size it). It just irks me when the LJW does these puff pieces implying that a local businesses are better and more moral than non-local businesses.

There is only one local eatery that I could eat at every day for a month, Wheatfields. Truly awesome food. Simple high quality ingredients prepared properly they have been featured on Food TV. If you haven't been there recently it is better than you remember. BUT, I like Panera's as well. They have a few items I prefer and if I'm not downtown I have no problem eating there (BTW, they were awful when they first opened here but are much better now).

Now if the LJW wrote an article about some guy eating at Wheatfields for 30 days and losing weight lowering cholesterol, I'd have a similar reaction. Doesn't mean Wheatfields is better for you. In fact, the Swedish study cited above show 18 college students can eat at Micky D's for 30 days and IMPROVE their cholesterol profiles. Further, the Local Booger guy lost so much weight so quickly it seems a bit unhealthy!

This article was nothing but a Local Booger publicity stunt (which Subway did first and better) and the LJW tried to sell it to their readers as "health news" story. I'm sure the fact that Local Booger buys advertising from the LJW has nothing to do with the non-critical eye and lack of skepticism of the "reporterette."

BTW, I think I'll eat at Wheatfields for lunch. They don't need cheap publicity stunts and willing shills from the LJW to convince me to eat there.

Oh, if you think the dollar you spend at Local Booger "stays in Lawrence" you have idea how an economy works. In fact, if you could keep every dollar spent in Lawrence, in Lawrence, it would be a disaster! I leave it as an exercise for the reader to determine why!

Mike_DuPree 8 years, 2 months ago

This country and our planet are under major assault by Big Pharma, Big Agra, Big BIG (in this country the Food and Drug Administration being the front man). If anyone understands this and how it is happening, you will truly appreciate what Local Burger means to this community in the face of this onslaught. You will truly appreciate what our food supply means to us. You will truly appreciate what freedom to choose what is healthy means to us. You will truly appreciate how buying local and organic is a BIG FINGER in the FACE of powerful interests who love to read the kinds of comments above that think somehow there is something "wrong" with the picture this story portrays. Local Burger provides patrons the knowledge that what they are eating is free from genetically modified and chemically saturated seed and food, bovine growth hormones, and potentially a whole host of health problems for which prescription drugs of dubious merit are the supposed remedy. Monsanto, Cargill, Merck, Bayer et al would all be exceedingly pleased to read many of the above comments. For more information along these lines, check out the links within the List's posts at the website JourneyToForever. And while you're at it, check out the National Animal Identification Act, Bush's Freedom Commission on Mental Health and TeenScreen, Merck and forced vaccinations of eleven and twelve year old girls with Gardasil, Hillary Clinton's and John Edwards' Health Plans for America that potentially provide for human chip implantation. Read Section 201(3) of the Real ID Act and Secretary of Homeland Security Chertoff's recent comments about how this Act will use your driver's license to work double- even triple-duty, he says, as a means for transacting business in this country. Whatever anyone doesn't like about what Local Burger is trying to accomplish is profoundly outweighed by all of us having lost and losing daily our right to choose health for our bodies. Get educated folks...and support Local Burger and any local merchant that supports local, organic and humane food production...while you still can.

Mkh 8 years, 2 months ago

EXCELLENT post Mike Dupree...thank you.

Sigmund 8 years, 2 months ago

camper 8 years, 2 months ago

Interesting article. I had just a few things to add:

1) The doctor mentioned above is my family practice doctor and that office loaned me an excercise manual (or book) which remedied a 6-month disk problem in my back without prescription.

2) Local burger probably does not use tran-fat oils. They also offer much more than just burgers. Vegetables and salads are abundant.

3) Why are people calling this establishment a "hippie-joint" or making other broad statements about other topics such as doctor practices?We should be more careful not to slander or stereotype base on inaccurate or incomplete information.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 2 months ago

"No its not, that was a stupid post full of hysterical accusations with not a single bit a proof."

Oh, come on, Sigmund, it was certainly no more hysterical, or short on "proof," than your posts were.

If anyone is looking for "proof" on anything, this forum isn't the place to get it. This is a forum for expressing opinion. It's up to the reader to find whatever proof they feel is necessary to support any particular opinion expressed.

My personal opinion is that Dupree's opinion has a good deal of basis in fact. But I seriously doubt that Sigmund will investigate any of them, as his fealty to ideology has already given him all the "facts" that he wants.

BTW, I agree with you about Wheatfields, Sigmund, and they buy as much as they can locally, regionally, and organically produced as possible. I seriously doubt that the same can be said for Panera.

jafs 8 years, 2 months ago

One can eat sensibly, exercise regularly, and lose weight in a sustainable fashion, even if one doesn't eat exclusively at health food restaurants.

I agree that his weight loss sounded a bit extreme - most health professionals I've talked to suggest slow sustained weight loss is healthier.

Local Burger is a fine place to eat, albeit a little expensive.

Where does the venom and hatred on these posts come from? If you don't like Local Burger or the Merc, don't patronize those businesses.

BTW, I had some rather unpleasant experiences at Wheatfield's some years back, and haven't returned since.

Mainegirl 8 years, 2 months ago

What the LJWorld doesn't mention in this article is that Local Burger and the documentary made about this "Localize Me" project will be show on the Sundance Channel at 8 AM May 15 and will air throughout the week. The KCStar had an article about it last week.

www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/entertainment/columnists/hearne_christopher_jr/16813128.htm

Mike_DuPree 8 years, 2 months ago

"Sigmund," eh? Here is a link to a four part documentary produced by the BBC on the development of public relations in this country and Britain:

Seems the work of Sigmund Freud may never have been known by most of us unless Freud's work had been, as it still is, used by Big Business and Government to manipulate the masses, just like News Limited, "Sigmund," the company which publishes the online news "source" from which you have quoted your study above on the efficacies of a McDonald's diet. Seems that News Limited is owned by News Corporation, which is the Rupert Murdoch media conglomeration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_Lim... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_Cor...

More "Big," "Sigmund," as I referred to in my original post. This time the biggest of Big Media. Did you check your source before you quoted it, "Sigmund?" Whether you did or did not, now your truth is suspect, at least for me.

You say I promulgate hysteria. No, "Sigmund," just pointing out the world as it is and becoming too much more so and for which you are apparently satisfied being a spokesperson. Booger it up all you want. We're all going down, my friend. When I go down, however, it will be standing up as a free man, choosing for myself health, unlike you, a puppet, no longer necessary, cut from the strings that make you dance.

Now, since I know I will never have the last word with someone like you, I've said all I'm going to say about this story and the issues ultimately involved here. I wish all of us, you too "Sigmund," the very best of health and especially the freedom to be able to choose health for ourselves. It is not hysterical for me to point out that this is a freedom which we are losing more of every day. I have pointed readers in the direction, ie offered proof, of learning for yourselves at least several ways in which this is occurring. While "net neutrality" is still available to us, I encourage you, for your own sake, to take advantage of the internet and find these things out for yourselves, so you will at least know, if nothing else, from which direction the bullet is coming. But maybe you don't want to know. Maybe you want "strings attached." Ah well, so be it. Good Night, and Good luck.

Sigmund 8 years, 2 months ago

Oh don't worry, I am sure we will have another hyped story around May 15th about Local Booger. Some people actually prefer evidence or proof over the hysterical ranting (THE WORLD IS ENDING, REPENT SINNERS!!!) and publicity stunts (LOCAL MAN EATS A LOCAL BOOGER AND LOSES WEIGHT!!!), and I don't apologize for being one of them.

overthemoon 8 years, 2 months ago

hmmmm....I'm wondering what the problem is with a local paper supporting local businesses. Doesn't that sort of fit together to being here worthwhile? Would y'all prefer Fox/USA today tripe about that Anna woman?

As one poster noted, to profit from publicity is part and parcel part of that free enterprise and business stimulation that the very folks griping about in this thread are raging for in response to other local news. So lets get this straight...you want city goverment to provide jobs and business opportunities (sounds like the dreaded bigger gov't, don't it?) You don't want people who are practicing true market driven economics without the aid of goverment incentives to thrive just because they are run by people that don't think and dress just like you do?

For heavens sakes...look at what you're saying.

And now lets everyone practice the anti-jerk knee hold, count to ten and reread the article three times before letting go of those knees to use the keyboard.....

jafs 8 years, 2 months ago

Local Burger is a strange combination - they offer various vegan/vegetarian options, but also a collection of meat-based burgers.