Archive for Friday, June 29, 2007

Long lines expected today for iPhone

June 29, 2007

Apple fan Brian Best on the iPhone

Lawrence resident Brian Best, an avid Apple fan, talks about what the new iPhone can do.

Brian Best, owner of Best Mac, a service center for Apple computers, takes a call on his Treo phone in his office. Best plans to get in line today and purchase Apple's new iPhone.

Call it i-citement.

Tech-savvy consumers are expected to be standing in lines today to be among the first to purchase the iPhone, the newest invention from Apple. The device combines the function of an iPod music and video player with a high-tech cell phone that can take photos, receive e-mail and surf the Web.

"Why wouldn't you be excited?" Lawrence resident Brian Best said when asked about today's national debut of the product. "This is the best iPod they've ever made."

Best - a longtime Apple fan who owns Best Macs, a service shop for Macintosh computers - has a strategy for getting his hands on an iPhone today.

In this area, the devices only will be available to purchase at AT&T stores. The iPhone - which ranges in price from $499 to $599 - goes on sale at 6 p.m., and will be sold on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Best said he has friends who have agreed to start scoping out AT&T stores in Topeka about noon to see if lines are forming there. Best said he thought Topeka stores would be less likely to have lines than the lone AT&T store in Lawrence at 520 W. 23rd St.

"I would expect that there will be lines in Lawrence," Best said. "Lawrence is very Apple-savvy. We're a very creative town."

The local AT&T store is gearing up for the big event. The store will close at 4:30 p.m. to prepare for the debut at 6 p.m. The store is scheduled to be open from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. today to serve people looking to buy the devices.

AT&T officials were telling customers Thursday to expect some waits at their stores today. They also were urging people who had business to take care of at the store that was not related to an iPhone to do so before the 6 p.m. launch.

AT&T stores and Apple stores - there's one in Kansas City, Mo., on the Country Club Plaza - are the only retailers selling the devices. To use the phone, buyers must purchase a two-year service contract with AT&T.

The phone has created all types of buzz among the media and the tech industry.

"This is the most anticipated phone since Alexander Graham Bell did his," said Michael Gartenberg, an industry analyst at JupiterResearch.

Analysts have said they're expecting the phone to be much simpler to use than current "smart" phones that allow users to receive e-mail and surf online.

That's what Best is counting on. He currently owns a smart phone but said it often is time-consuming to use.

"Yesterday I took a picture with my phone," Best said. "First of all, it looked like garbage, but I wanted to attach it to an e-mail and send it from my phone.

"I'm a computer guy, and it took me 10 minutes."

With the iPhone, he expects it will take less than a minute.

- The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Comments

Sigmund 7 years, 6 months ago

Will iPhone live up to the expectations of consumers? Here's are the odds: * Consumers are reported camping out waiting for an iPhone-3/1 * Initial iPhones get recalled-30/1 * iPhone sells at least 12 Million units in 2008-5/6 * Apple's stock jumps at least 10% from the price on 6/30/07-1/2 * Consumers pay at least three times the original price ($1,500) on ebay-2/1 * The screen breaks/cracks like Apple's first-generation nano (iPod)-150/1 * Mass reports of the battery life being less than the promised 8 hours-10/1 * Someone is trampled while trying to get an iPhone-20/1 * iPhone spontaneously combusts-150/1 http://www.livescience.com/technology/070625_iphone_future.html

• The odds that I want one-1/1
  • The odds that Ill get one-1,500/1

acg 7 years, 6 months ago

People, don't go out and waste your money on this thing! It's like $600 to buy one and then upwards of $400 a month for the service. That's ridiculous and that money could be better spent in so many other ways.

HoosierPride 7 years, 6 months ago

Uhmm, not sure where you got the $400 per month for service but that's not what I've been seeing.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 6 months ago

the better the gadget the more work the office makes you do 24/7, throw them all away and take your free time back.

compmd 7 years, 6 months ago

acg, you're a few hundred dollars off on the monthly service charge.

Seriously though. The iphone hates you. It hates me. It hates everyone. It is a completely closed device. The CPU specs are muddy, nobody knows how it works, nobody develops software for it, and nobody knows what the operating system is doing. It sits there with a pretty smile on its face and insists "just keep using me, you don't need to know how I work, I promise." On the flip side, my HTC 6700 has a well known Intel PXA270 overclocked from 416 to 520MHz, there are a variety of development platforms for it, and as annoying as Windows Mobile can be, it is easy to use. Did I mention that it is faster and has a faster Internet connection as well? It is a useful, reliable tool that can do almost everything the iphone can do, except I don't have to pay Apple a trendiness tax and I don't have to pay AT&T to spy on me by sniffing my data and reporting all of my visited websites and phone calls to the NSA.

For 99% of the iphone buyers out there, the statement they are making to people who actually know cell phones and communications isn't "I'm cool, I have the latest technology, envy me!" it is "I have massive credit card debt and all I got was this lousy white plastic cell phone."

craigers 7 years, 6 months ago

The iPhone is a joke. Put a regular internet browser on a sub-par wireless internet (Cingular/AT&T) and what do you get? A really slow download of a web page. You only get 2GB or 4GB and 700MB of the memory is already used up in the operating system. More economical and faster to get a Treo and an iPod (30GB) separately. I like Sigmunds odds and the screen will probably break too.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 6 months ago

For those who need what it can do, there is nothing comparable-- that's a pretty small number, but there will still be a lot of people who think they need it, even though ATT does suck. I predict that every other phone manufacturer will be chasing Apple on this just like manufacturers of mp3 players are with the iPod.

Sigmund 7 years, 6 months ago

compmd has it right. The HTC 6700 (PPC-6700 on the Sprint/Nextel network and the VX-6700 on Verizon network) are pretty complete devices, if not nearly as sexy. With the new HTC-6800 on the horizon, the older 6700's will probably be heavily discounted as well. http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phones/HTC-Mogul.htm

Sigmund 7 years, 6 months ago

Actually mommaeffortx2, instead of being tied to an office computer and phone M-F 8-5 these devices allow lots of people more free time and more flexibility with their time.

cheer67 7 years, 6 months ago

If everyone would wait a year they'd probably be half the price they are now. Plus then they'd have all the problems worked out of them. kinda like what happened with the razr.

jrherrick 7 years, 6 months ago

I would suspect that most of the people, who would wait in long lines to buy a 400.00 to 600.00 phone, are the same greedy self absorbed people ( oh wait I guess I should have called them "Tech-savvy consumers" ) that wait in line for department stores to open the day after Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 6 months ago

sigmund it is a consp. they are just trying to make you think that. Have you not heard, thebosses are in control of everything and make you think what they want:) They have contol of our minds hahahaahha......

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 6 months ago

and people no , I have not lost it but come on you got to have a little fun with all the hype about another stupid gadget.

JoRight 7 years, 6 months ago

compmd,

I'm curious though. Does your HTC 6700 have the capabilities of booting OS 10? Probably not. I imagine OS 10 being Unix based, there are going to be a lot of other gadgets / programs you'll be able to run on this thing. So, if I was filthy rich, yes, I would get one of these. . .but, since that's never going to happen, I'll be happy w/ my $50 Samsung x427.

average 7 years, 6 months ago

Ha ha.

The actual cheapest monthly iPhone plan is $60 a month (plus a whole slew of taxes). The cheaper iPhone is $500.

Gods, I love being a cheapskate! I spend $100 a year on cell phoning (prepaid plan, largely emergency use) including unlimited incoming text (this functions as a pager from an e-mail).

For MP3s, I have a $30 player and a $30 for two 2GB SD chips.

Between saving over $600 a year on cellular and over $600 a year for the cheapest cable TV plan, plus the income tax I don't have to earn to pay for those... that's a very nice extra paycheck each year.

acg 7 years, 6 months ago

Heard a guy on the radio this month from the apple corporation. They were interviewing him for the release. He said that the service can run upwards of $400 per month. Sorry folks, took the info straight from the corporate guy himself. So I think I'll believe what he says.

daddax98 7 years, 6 months ago

they said it on the radio so it must be true!

jonas 7 years, 6 months ago

Man, I'm out of the loop. This is the first I've even HEARD of the iPhone.

Oh well, I'll buy one when I have a need for it, somewhere down the line. By then it'll be both better and cheaper anyway.

I'm more thinking on a PS3 now. Grand Theft Auto comes out in October. Maybe I'll get one with Christmas money. How are the prices on those these days? Anyone know?

MyName 7 years, 6 months ago

acg you need to stop hyperventaliting and realize that: 1) this isn't a POS phone, it's a very nice phone, though not exactly cheap, and 2) There is no way that everybody (or even a significant minority) will be paying $400/mo to use this phone. I'm sure there are people who have $400/mo cell phone bills, but they are probably jetsetters who travel alot on business and use the phone constantly.

If you're going to spread misinformation about something, at least try to make it credible.

And compmd: what's with all the FUD? One would thing you're a M$ salesperson from all the Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt you're spreading around. There's Unix in there somewhere, so it can't be all evvil like you're making it out to be. Unless you're trying to parody a Sprint or M$ salesperson, in which case: keep up the good work 'cause it's hilarious.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 6 months ago

I'm going to wait til the bugs are worked out, price goes down, and they offer more gigs.

Thanks to all the guinea pigs out there who are buying it today! I'll admit that if I had the money, I'd be in line today too.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 6 months ago

I predict that within a year or two, they have versions that do 95% of what this does for half the price. And I think ATT's exclusive contract is up in two years-- anyone know for sure?

Sigmund 7 years, 6 months ago

ATT definitely has an exclusive, but I "think" it is only a year. ATT got the exclusive by promising Apple they would subsidize iPhone purchases. Without ATT subsidizing the price to the consumer (in return for a long term cell phone contract from the consumer) iPhones would be $900-$1000! Whether or not this pays off for ATT it is definitely a win for Apple. All the new devices have a similar pricing scheme, manufacturers subsidized by the cell phone carrier in return for a long term contract from consumers.

We will see if the Steve Job Reality Distortion Field (TM) is able to sustain the hype for two years, or if it collapses into ordinary reality.

Mkh 7 years, 6 months ago

Thats a good little consumer. Buy exactly what the nice man on TV says to and all the bad people will go away.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 6 months ago

is the sky falling yet? nope about 54 min. to go.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 7 years, 6 months ago

Ha, ha, ha!!!!!! This is rich! I do not own any phone that is not attached to the wall with a wire. I have an answering machine. I cannot describe my loathing for these toy telephones, I think that people are plain crazy to fall for this scam. Almost NONE of us needs these grossly expensive toys, we got along fine for several hunderd years without them. Yet the befuddled sheep among us plod along to the hype, "Buy this GREAT NEW GADGET".. Gads, have we lost all sanity, common sense, reality in today's society???? And to you idiots who are going to invest $500.00 + in this newest variation of this scam, well, I am going to put my money back in the bank. The scammers and hypsters are not getting my money. But to the scammers, do not be afraid, as soon as the next "great newest gadget" comes along, the bleating sheep among us will be camping out again at your doorstep pining to be taken to the cleaners again. Your reserve of victims is endless!!! I guess that is how we got the present occupant of the White House. God, I wish I could live on Mars!

Sigmund 7 years, 6 months ago

I bet you hate those new fangled electronic typewriterrs and them there autoMObeels scaring your horses and women folk. But think of all the copper and trees that will be saved by going wireless. With every college student with their own cell phone there is no more headaches of splitting telephones bills with all your roommates.

Like it or not, new technologies like computers and advances in telecommunications makes most peoples life better!

Steve Jacob 7 years, 6 months ago

I think cell phones are the biggest waste of money. If you have to have one, the pre-paid ones for sure are the smart deal.

compmd 7 years, 6 months ago

"I'm curious though. Does your HTC 6700 have the capabilities of booting OS 10? Probably not."

I'm going to start playing with my crosscompiler and my opendarwin code tonight. I already have darwin running on a beat up beige box P3-500. Its quite a kick to watch it say "Welcome to Macintosh." I wonder how hard it would be to port to the XScale, which I believe is very similar to the iPhone CPU. Oh, and I can boot Linux off of a miniSD card on my 6700, so I certainly don't need OS X. :)

"I imagine OS 10 being Unix based, there are going to be a lot of other gadgets / programs you'll be able to run on this thing."

The fact that OS X is based on BSD is irrelevant at this stage in the game. The question becomes compatibility. Can I compile and run applications under iPhone OS X? Where are the devkits and APIs? Where is the list of included libraries? How can you know what you can compile against? The entire UI concept has changed with the multitouch screen. How do older applications deal with that? Apple doesn't seem like they want Joe Blow writing apps for this device.

"One would thing you're a M$ salesperson from all the Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt you're spreading around. There's Unix in there somewhere, so it can't be all evvil like you're making it out to be."

HAH! That is great! I LOATHE Windows with a passion, I am very much old Unix guy. How much of a Unix guy? I currently run machines at home with Solaris 9, Solaris 10 (both on Sun Ultras), IRIX 6.5 (SGI Octane2), IRIX 5.3 (SGI Iris Indigo), Plan 9 (generic P3, generic PowerPC), and have worked on AIX (IBM RS/6000 server), HP-UX (L-1000 PA8500), Domain/OS (DN3000), Tru64, OSF1 (both on AlphaServers), and OS/400 (IBM AS/400). A couple of those are a little weirder than Unix. When did Unix stop being evil? It was always scary and expensive, and some versions still are, like IRIX and AIX. OS/400 isn't Unix, but you haven't lived until you've seen how much that OS costs. Apple's claims to basing OS X on BSD were great for the desktop market, but in the embedded computing arena, it really doesn't matter.

If I spread FUD then it is only FUD for those who see what they want to see. If there was a linux powered CDMA smartphone, you'd better believe I'd be all over it. As much as I hate Windows Mobile, it has some interesting secrets that the average consumer doesn't know about. If you poke around on the 6700, you will find all kinds of drivers loaded in there for toys you wouldn't think of being able to hook up to it. It is an extremely hackable device.

I am already laughing at my friend's iPhone while I enjoy watching DivX movies on my 6700.

Sigmund 7 years, 6 months ago

compmd , what no Tandem Operating System, Guardian, or NonStop Kernel? I suspect you have no problem keeping your house warm in the winter! As for a CDMA Smart Phone running Linux, I though Palm OS was dead and that all the new Palm Smart Phones (Treo 755P) ran a version embedded Linux?

Oh, another reason for the PPC-6700 over the PPC-6800 is that on Sprint's network there is no way they can tell you are using the "phone as modem" service, something they would like to charge you for obviously. That has been "corrected" in the PPC-6800.

compmd 7 years, 6 months ago

Sigmund,

"what no Tandem Operating System, Guardian, or NonStop Kernel?"

I don't know those, but after reading up on Tandem, it sounds really cool!

"I suspect you have no problem keeping your house warm in the winter!"

You aren't the first person to say that to me. When winter rolls around, if I need it warm in the living room, I fire up the AS/400 9406-500. Furnace redundancy, you know.

"all the new Palm Smart Phones (Treo 755P) ran a version embedded Linux?"

I didn't know about that. I will certainly look into it.

"Oh, another reason for the PPC-6700 over the PPC-6800 is that on Sprint's network there is no way they can tell you are using the "phone as modem" service"

I'm using PAM for my net connection to post this. :) Let's see...$15 for the regular plan, or $50 for the actual PAM plan, with no functional difference...gee...this is hard...

"That has been "corrected" in the PPC-6800."

That is a bummer. I was told that Sprint couldn't tell about PAM usage on the 6700 by a Sprint employee. Their justification for charging more for PAM is that you can use more bandwidth with a PC, which is a load of crap; I've heard the 6700 referred to as the "world's smallest laptop," it can download just as much. If I had a forced upgrade to a 6800, I would tell them that if they were going to charge me for PAM, I would simply leave my phone online playing a KJHK stream whenever I wasn't making a phone call. Either that, or tell them that I will use Skype (on the phone!) to make lots of phone calls. I think that they would be willing to bargain me.

Back on topic, ultimately, nobody should accept a device that tells them what they can and cannot do with it. We are inundated with "rights management" crap, with the iPhone guilty as well as many other personal devices. Sure, the iPhone likely could run POSIX compliant applications that wouldn't be hard to port from Mac OS X, BSD, or Linux, but Apple will NOT let you do that; you can only run AJAX programs INSIDE THE WEB BROWSER with their own weird extensions. I mean come on, a BSD based device without even a CLI. The 6700 is as open as we've ever had such a device, and that openness was even backed by its provider (Sprint). It is not likely that we will see another phone like it anytime soon.

Sigmund 7 years, 6 months ago

compmd, if you ever have a chance to get your hands on a Tandem running NonStop kernel, jump at it. Incredibly slick hardware and OS. It has lost favor as many enterprise class organizations have decided that masses of cheap commodity hardware clusters are cheaper overall and provides similar if not better performance and reliability at the cost of cooling larger data centers. Today cabinets full of blades replace such equipment. But in its day, it was the daddy!

:wq!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 6 months ago

You know, compmd-- I expect that most people who will buy the iPhone will find it much easier, and cheaper, to get the functionality they want from the iPhone than to get a PPC-6700 and hire you to do all the necessary hacks, and then provide the support necessary to keep it operating.

The vast majority of technology users just want something that they can reliabliy operate. They don't want to have to become a geek to accomplish that, any more than they want to have to be a mechanic in order to drive their car.

compmd 7 years, 6 months ago

Actually bozo, 99% of the cool stuff the 6700 does only requires downloading the installer, running it, and clicking install, just like every computer user already knows. Skype (voice over IP), TCPMP (DivX video and other media player), and Agile Messenger (multiprotocol instant messenger) require no technical knowledge whatsoever to install and use. XCPUScalar (overclocker) isn't free and requires a small bit of knowledge, but any geek or gamer will know what to do with it. No hacking required for the usability that is most useful to people. The hackability I mentioned is for people who ask "I wonder if it can do $COOL_TRICK." The point is that there is nothing the iPhone can do that a two year old 6700 can't, and it will stay that way because Apple will not let any native third party programs run on the phone. Owners will do with it what Apple and AT&T tell them they will do with it, and that's it. So if anyone wants the same functionality on an iPhone (like Skype, movie playback, multiprotocol instant messaging) its the iPhone that requires hacking.

The bigger issue is losing freedom and complacency with what "hot new product" is being shoved down our collective throat. It doesn't take a geek to see "higher cost, but fewer features than competition, service provider lockin, limited functionality, and the ability of the service provider to brick the phone at their discretion" is a load of crap. Yet somehow there are massive numbers of people (geeks included) that are okay with that. Ultimately, in a general sense, that is the biggest problem I have with the iPhone; people are ok with something shiny even if they got screwed to get it. Its limitations are clearly documented, but people are willing to pay large sums of money for it while Steve Jobs is laughing his way to the bank.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 6 months ago

Who is shoving this down anyone's throat? I'm a long-time Mac user, but I fully intend to use my bottom-of-the-line Nokia till it dies, and will likely never get an iPhone until it's dropped at least 50% in price and there are provider options besides ATT.

And I just don't accept that iPhone is all hype-- it's like most other Apple products-- sure you can find other devices that do similar things, but Apple finds ways of doing it that truly are "cool." And for some consumers, having "cool" devices that are easy to use is a major attraction. For other consumers, a device that can be coaxed into doing more, but maybe not in as cool a way, is their preference. Shouldn't consumers have the freedom to make that choice?

compmd 7 years, 6 months ago

bozo,

It has been shoved down our throats. The iPhone has been advertised all over the place, tv, radio, internet, etc. There was nowhere near the level of hype to the general public for the HTC 6600, 6700, or the 6800, which I just found out was released without much fanfare. Have you seen an ad for the 6700?

You're right that the iPhone is like most other Apple products, but it is underdeveloped. If it had an open developer kit for native applications and they waited to make it an HSDPA device (but preferably EVDO), it would be awesome and I would very seriously consider buying one. People everywhere would buy one to replace HTCs, Crackberrys, and Treos. So why hold short and not attack full-force like they did with the iPod?

Ease of use isn't really an issue with Windows Mobile, but it isn't "cool" as you correctly stated. You are correct that we should have the freedom to choose what we buy, but before we purchase something, we should make educated decisions. When new gadgets come out, there are fewer and fewer people that ask "is this really worth it?" That's the question we need to be asking here.