Archive for Thursday, June 28, 2007

KT Walsh invites art mayhem to her east lawrence home

East Lawrence artist KT Walsh will give tonight's Seed Artist's Lecture at her home, 732 R.I., where she's pictured surrounded by the quirky sculptures she has created in her yard. The free public event begins at 7 p.m.

June 28, 2007

KT Walsh is a compulsive artist. Her home, her yard, her way of dressing are a microcosm of how she thinks the world should be: completely, utterly saturated with art.

"As we go through our daily lives - we go to the gas station, to the grocery store, to our jobs, picking up the kids - it seems crazy that there isn't art everywhere in each of those daily functions," she laments.

"Art in a formal sense," Walsh clarifies, "where we agree to make something, or agree to come up with a concept. I want that to be happening more from inside us, instead of watching someone else do it."

Walsh is taking her philosophy home, literally, at this month's Seed Artist's Lecture, scheduled for 7 p.m. today. Rather than set up a screen at the usual location (4-1-1 Artspace), she is inviting the public to her house at 732 R.I.

Attendees will first engage in "art mayhem" - making their own art, enjoying the scene and listening to DJ Zippy - before a lecture (or Walsh's interpretation thereof) at 8:30 p.m.

Her hope for the lecture is full, festive audience participation.

She recognizes some people will enjoy the free-form creativity; others need structure and are more comfortable with assigned tasks.

That's OK, she says. The key is doing it.

"Don't you want to sing? Don't you want to hop around?" she asks. "I think it's human to be creative."

- Leslie vonHolten

Comments

Confrontation 10 years, 5 months ago

I'd hate to live next to her. Talk about lowering your property value...

George_Braziller 10 years, 5 months ago

Give it up. If it doesn't bother the neighbors (and it doesn't) then it shouldn't be a concern of yours. Remember the "Umbrella Tree?" Umbrellas popped up all over town, and I mean ALL over town, in support of her.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 10 years, 5 months ago

I'd hate to live next to her. Talk about lowering your property value:

I totally agree, it's very inconsiderate of her. My neighbor also has a bunch of crap in his yard, but at least he has the courtesy to keep it in the back yard rather than the front.

matahari 10 years, 5 months ago

well, then, why don't you move somewhere like in between two cement lots....back yard versus front? sounds freudian to me~

lynnd 10 years, 5 months ago

whatever your opinion may be of her art, KT is a wonderful, lovely person. I think it's great that she's opening up her home for this event.

George_Braziller 10 years, 5 months ago

Once again I repeat, those of us who are neighbors don't have a problem with the constantly changing yard. It isn't "inconsiderate of her." She has lived in her house for 25+ years so if anyone on the block had a problem with it none of us would have moved here. Hell, most of us have even made contributions! Just stay in your your beige house with a sterile ChemLawn yard and if you drive down the street don't look.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho (Anonymous) says:

I'd hate to live next to her. Talk about lowering your property value:

maybeso 10 years, 5 months ago

I have lived next door to KT, and I can tell you she is a great neighbor, an incredibly smart, kind person with a positive attitude and a willingness to work for the greater good of all, a non-judgmental force for good who we are lucky to have in our midst and who does things quietly every day to make the world a better place. And yes, she has some amazing contraptions in her yard. I have my umbrella ready anytime another show of support should become necessary......

pelliott 10 years, 5 months ago

if all it took to get rid of my creepy nasty neighbor was art in the yard, boy that would be nice.

George_Braziller 10 years, 5 months ago

pelliott - Do you think that would work to get rid of creepy trolls like offtotheright? If so then sign me up!

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 10 years, 5 months ago

At least on the eastside we get to know our neighbors. They don't just hang out in their backyard.