Archive for Wednesday, June 27, 2007

City OKs homeless ‘vision’ but no funds

June 27, 2007

City commissioners are enthusiastic about creating a new vision to provide services to Lawrence's homeless community, but stopped short of funding it for 2008.

Commissioners unanimously approved a vision presented by the Community Commission on Homelessness that calls for the community to operate only one homeless shelter, and create a host of transitional and supported housing options for people in need.

Commissioners praised the new vision as being more understandable and feasible than past plans. But some commissioners said they thought they should hold off on funding the vision until the 2009 budget.

Both Mayor Sue Hack and Commissioner Mike Amyx said they thought 2008 should be used to create an organization that would be responsible for overseeing the implementation of the vision.

They also want to use 2008 to fully review city funding for social service agencies that serve the homeless. Commissioners have said they want to ensure that money is being spent in the most efficient manner possible.

Commissioner Boog Highberger, though, urged commissioners to at least consider setting some money aside in the 2008 budget to partially fund the vision.

Ultimately commissioners hope the vision will be funded through a mix of public and private funds.

Comments

Ragingbear 8 years ago

I really need to get around to addressing the city commission and telling them that they all got their heads so far up their rears that they have eyeballs in their mouths.

50YearResident 8 years ago

I have a Vision, more homeless, more crime, more tax payer expenses, more homeless, more crime, more tax payer expenses, more homeless, more homeless, more expenses, more expenses....well you get the drift here.

TheYetiSpeaks 8 years ago

gabbo-

..and does one person who fits into your social profile speak for you as well? Hell, we might as well nominate one white, male to speak for all American citizens. I'm sure he would do a great job of representing everyone. You're a tool.

gabbo 8 years ago

"I like being homeless," Dean says. "You don't have any bills to pay, so you can buy all the liquor you want and all the pot you want. If you like to gamble, you can gamble; if you like to collect pipes or whatever, like me, you can do that."

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 8 years ago

I think the Amtrak station on 7th Street should be converted into a homeless shelter. When the bums enter, present them with a bag of sandwiches, a few juice boxes and a one-way train ticket to San Francisco. I'm tired of hearing about our beloved "transients" robbing stores and hitting ladies in the face. No more!

freeordie 8 years ago

If the homeless weren't getting along here they wouldn't BE here. This place is a homeless Mecca. Stop giving assistance to anyone without physical disabilty or organic brain damage. Everyone else should suck it up and quit begging and quit freeloading.

monkeyhawk 8 years ago

Wasn't it reported just yesterday that a couple of "housing challenged" held up a convenience store or two?

What I would like to ask the city commission is "how much of my income would you allow me to keep for myself and my family?"

karensisson 8 years ago

Why don't they provide ways for some of the homeless to earn money, like weeding the parks?

freeordie 8 years ago

WHo cares what Yetti says? He should be able to say, or hate whatever he wants. Hate crimes are used to control. Yetti said nothing about violence or impinging on anyone's freedom. How is that a hate crime? Take back your freedom of speech. Do not give up freedom for safety or unhurt feelings.

freeordie 8 years ago

Hate crime LAWS are used to control in an inappropriate manner I mean.

TheYetiSpeaks 8 years ago

The ONLY hate on this board is coming from the people bashing a whole section of people based on the crimes of a few. For every "bum" you read about in the newspaper there are 50 you will never hear of because they are keeping themselves out of trouble and trying to get their lives back together. There are bad people in every social class and in all walks of life. Why do some feel it necessary to bash a whole section of people? Maybe because they know the subjects have no voice to retaliate with. What cowardice. Profiling is not just racial.

Adrienne Sanders 8 years ago

Quote: "Hell, we might as well nominate one white, male to speak for all American citizens."

Um, didn't we do that already?

TheYetiSpeaks 8 years ago

offtotheright-

During FY 2005 the Salvation Army provided 15,152 bed nights with an average of 4,560 persons utilizing services during the warming/cooling shelter. So you are basing your view off the one or two you see sitting on the bench outside? Thanks for proving my point. Profile some more.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years ago

"Stop giving assistance to anyone without physical disabilty or organic brain damage."

That is part of the problem. It's too easy to "get" the diagnosis you need. Someone who's addicted can easily present with the symptoms of a number of different kinds of DSM disorders. I've seen it happen. Once it happens, then they carry that label around for the rest of their lives: "I was told by a guy with a PhD that I can't change because I have a personality disorder". Too many of the chronic homeless just need to get sober, but they and those who "help" them have bought into the idea that something insurmountable has happened in their brains, so they get handouts for the rest of their lives (and remain addicted).

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years ago

"4,560 persons utilizing services"

That's 5% of the population of Lawrence!! Do you think Wichita or KC have a 5% homelessness rate?

I'd love it if "our" shelters would simply ask "where were you born?", then tell the drunk, able-bodied man to go back THERE for assistance. We are babysitting the man-children of the entire region. Honestly. We really do CREATE homelessness with these programs. Two winos in a Wichita alley are talking about how much they hate Wichita, and a third one says "Me too, that's why I'm going back to the homeless oasis of Lawrence." The next thing you know, we have 3 new vagrants in town, with no incentive to leave or get better.

Lawrence is the only town in the midwest where a drunk man smelling of urine gets to wear the title "homeless" [translation: victim]. Everywhere else, he's a wino or a drunk.

Do you really, really want to help a wino? Tell him "I'm not going to give you a handout because I know that everything you need to be sucessful is already inside of you." Handouts tell a grown man "You are defective, so let me take care of you, you incompetent." No wonder these men are always angry - they hate what they've become.

Our homeless programs are misguided "love".

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years ago

You know, Yeti, you are making a good point: most of the homeless are not committing crimes. The problem is that those who provide services to the homeless do not discriminate in ways that the need to. If all of our shelters, drop-in-centers, LINK, etc. had a "be sober or get lost" policy, Lawrence would be much safer and the "real" homeless could get the services they need.

It is an unsavory thing to consider, but the answer is to start judging these people, and separating the ones who are trying to change from the narsissistic men who think that it's OK for them to remain drunk while demanding services/spare change.

Ask one of them "What are your goals?" and see what happens. The wino will blow up at you for being so rude as to expect them to "do" something with their lives. The hard luck case will explain how they want to get stablized so they can work and live and start a family.

The next time someone asks for spare change, just ask them "what are your goals?".

hellbilly_grrl 8 years ago

No, OldEnuf, we "create" homelessness with our f'ed up capitalist system - always driven toward more profits at the expense of people. Yes, there are homeless people who will turn to alcohol, drugs, crime, etc.; desperation and hopelessness will lead people to do some pretty crazy things. There are also a lot of homeless people who are actually working hard to turn their lives around. And by the way, in all this talk about crime related to the homeless, I don't see anyone mentioning how common it is for the homeless to be VICTIMS of crime, particularly violent crimes such as assault, rape, and even murder. Life on the streets isn't exactly easy. Cheers to you, Yeti, for being pretty much the only one to show any compassion on here. The rest of y'all ought to be ashamed of yourselves for being so hateful to such a vulnerable group of people.

littlelawrencian 8 years ago

Having been homeless myself for about a year, I can say this as I lived it. The ones that are milking the system, you know who you are; are parasites on society. Many of these particular parasites are actually from our town, born and raised. What gives? Once I got my act together, quit partying and figured out that the first bill I pay each month is the RENT, not the bag of weed, not the booze, then things went better. Haven't been homeless since and have tried to help those who want to help themselves and I found out that SOME not ALL don't want to change, are afraid of responsibility and sure don't want to quit the party train. So those that help the unfortunate, keep doing that it comes back to you three-fold. I still have hope and faith! And if you are reading this and you are one of the parasites killing time at the library on the computer in the nice a.c. get off your butts and get to living, not existing.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years ago

Little Lawrencian confirmed what so many of us have been saying: the "problem" homeless are irresponsible addicts. The stereotype is more than just a stereotype.

TheYetiSpeaks 8 years ago

littlelawrencian- I congratulate you on your turnaround. I thank you for speaking out for the larger population of homeless that actually aspire to improve themselves. I just find it disappointing that some would judge you without even meeting you and lump you in with the few who are taking advantage of the system. Have a nice day.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 8 years ago

we "create" homelessness with our f'ed up capitalist system

That capitalist system also creates jobs and opportunities for people who are willing to put down the bottle of Boone's Farm and pick themselves up by the bootstraps.

TheYetiSpeaks 8 years ago

Mr Ramirez-

Yeah, I think someone came up with an idea like that once. He totally decided there was a certain group of people who were unworthy to live beside him and so he locked them up in their very own camps. You would probably like him a lot.

Patriot2 8 years ago

Why send the homeless to another US city? Lets return the favor to our neighbors to the south......

mick 8 years ago

The city of Lawrence should stay out of the homelessness business. If they really want to help they should fund the Salvation Army. There is no one better qualified. If you fund a lot of programs all you benefit is the employee of that program. Another jobs program for the over-privileged. I've been homeless myself and have no sympathy for those who choose homelessness as a lifestyle. The Salvation Army knows how to truly help but the city does not need to attract those who choose homelessness because it is easy and because they are practically worshipped in this culture as victims.

packrat 8 years ago

The City of Lawrence should not be funding a homeless shelter. Our tax dollars should not go to any homeless shelter. If people want to fund a homeless shelter, they should donate to it themselves.

motomom 8 years ago

tami clark ran a much tighter "ship" at the drop-in center. many times when i was there, if someone came in drunk or messed-up..she escorted them right out the door. she had rules and kept them. i like loring...but he definitely MUST enforce the rules he has laid out....one guy told me that it really bothers him how there are all these rules hung up all over the place, yet nobody enforces them which results in nobody really paying attention. when tami was there, i saw the folks there helping her out...washing windows, vacuuming....now, everybody just kinda sits around and looks bored. loring is only enabling these folks.......tami, where are you???????

Confrontation 8 years ago

madmike: Please do not give our homeless worshippers any new ideas! I could definitely see the city funding meals on wheels for the homeless.

armyguy 8 years ago

I lived at Clinton Lake for almost a year in the leaky nasty little trailer I bought for a couple hundred dollars. There were families living in tents there, college students and retires in mega RV's and everything in-between. If you don't care about utilities you can live almost free there (about $200 per year). I saved my money and pushed my way back up. First a better trailer then a trailer house and now in a real house in town in 5 or so years while going to KU.

Nothing wrong with being down and out, but don't spend my very hard earned tax dollars for endless subsidizing of those who just want a free ride.

Ragingbear 8 years ago

Because nobody else wants the job.

leadrain 8 years ago

My suggestion would be to stop trying to help. The ones I've met ( which is plenty ) don't do anything but complain. The Drop-in's too small. This Free meal isn't good enough. The SRS needs to give me more foodstamps so i can sell them at half price because i smokeddrank away the check they gave me. Whether you like it or not, we are the ones paying for their rent, food, drugs, with a portion of every hour we, the only one's who have the RIGHT to complain, work.

erod0723 8 years ago

Boog is the only commissioner with any common sense. He realizes the folly in approving something without any funds designated, because it is that sort of thing that has put the city into dire financial straights. Fire Hack. Fire Amyx. Fire Corliss. Fire Chestnut.