Archive for Monday, June 25, 2007

Federal agents investigate Yellow House owners

Couple has battled local police over suspicions about their business

June 25, 2007

Agents with the United States Postal Service and the Internal Revenue Service this morning conducted an investigation at the home of a Lawrence couple who have battled local police over suspicions about their store.

Lawrence Police said the federal agents were at the home of Guy and Carrie Neighbors - owners of Yellow House Store - in the 1100 block of Andover St., just before 9 a.m. today.

Federal prosecutors had been seeking new evidence against the couple and their variety store after a judge dismissed a charge in May accusing them of possessing guns while being unlawful users of a controlled substance.

At the time, Guy Neighbors told the Journal-World that he was told to expect a "superseding" indictment in the next 30 to 60 days, alleging that he and his wife had conducted a fencing operation while in possession of drugs and guns.

The Neighbors were not available for immediate comment.

Comments

Confrontation 7 years, 6 months ago

"The Neighbors were not available for immediate comment."

Wouldn't that be a shock! I'm sure we'll see their comments on several websites, including this one.

acg 7 years, 6 months ago

Wow, these poor bast*rds just can't catch a break can they? You know, I know nothing about these people or their dealings but the first time they busted me, I would've closed shop and split. I know that Mrs. Neighbors has said on these forums that they've done nothing wrong and logic says that if you feel you are in the right you should stay and fight but the days of Mr. Smith going to Washington are over. You can't fight them on this and you're going to lose, Mrs. Neighbors, I hate to say that. The whole deck is stacked against you and the best thing to do now is bow out, pack your crap and hit the bricks. Go lay low somewhere for awhile. They'll find someone else to harass and annoy. Narcs always do. It's their job.

samsnewplace 7 years, 6 months ago

Nice to see it's out of local courts and made it to the federal court, the truth will come out and something will be done. WTG feds!!

Baille 7 years, 6 months ago

What do you mean "way to go?" Are you just assuming the paper and the cops have it right or do you know something the general public doesn't know?

stuckinthemiddle 7 years, 6 months ago

trinity Yep... lots of posts... lots of speculation...

Flap Doodle 7 years, 6 months ago

Wow, larryville will just be all agog (which is not the same thing as Magog).

GSWtotheheart 7 years, 6 months ago

"I know that Mrs. Neighbors has said on these forums that they've done nothing wrong"

except she said they don't use or have drugs then pot plants were found during one of the searches...which she then said were for "medical purposes"

(not attacking you acg, just commenting on what you said, sorry)

Baille 7 years, 6 months ago

"except she said they don't use or have drugs then pot plants were found during one of the searches"

Malum prohibitum, not malum in se.

Steve Jacob 7 years, 6 months ago

At this point, if they had anything in their house, it would be pure stupidity.

dthroat 7 years, 6 months ago

OK, I am officially shocked !!!! "The Neighbors were not available for immediate comment." This has got to be a first.

Maybe they finally figured out that the Feds really do mean business and it was not an idle threat when they said another indictment was coming. Something tells me they probably should have listened to at least one of their lawyers instead of firing them and playing for sympathy on the blogs.

dthroat 7 years, 6 months ago

I was just going to add, that after checking out the TOPEKA paper, it was obvious they couldn't comment because they were in Fed. court.

And freashpowder, if you had followed this the local just didn't go crying to the Feds, they have been involved early on in this investigation. People just don't seem to get the Feds take their own sweet time in doing things and most time it is not quickly.

stuckinthemiddle 7 years, 6 months ago

freashpowder Maybe it's none of my business but I am wondering if you have some kind of vested interest in this case...

Centrist 7 years, 6 months ago

Andini ... there's a first time for everyone, y'know.

pelliott 7 years, 6 months ago

You know the federal agents investigated the allegations that someone, perhaps from the police were saying they were the fbi. The feds said they found no evidence of that even though several people in town said this happened. The police chief has a great working relationship with the feds, he developed some sort of antiterrorist swat team for us here locally, and I know worked with the feds on that. I have always liked yellow house but I buy used appliances, that is the extent of my knowledge. I too wonder at the bravery and tenacity but small business people are like that, they almost have to be. I don't know the "real' story or what they should do, but leaving if they aren't "the biggest fencing operation in the history of kansas" would be to leave their name and leave the next poor snook vulnerable to harassment.

Lucky 7 years, 6 months ago

Hopefully this federal investigation will end quickly, since obviously if there was anything to this situation the Lawrence police would have filed some sort of charges.

It certainly appears that there wouldn't have been this much law enforcement attention if the Neighbors weren't a mixed race couple. I really thought our law enforcement community was past this sort of issue. It's very disturbing to see these local small business owners treated this way.

mutpuppy 7 years, 6 months ago

This is unreal, I just cannot even believe they arrested them AGAIN. This is rediculous!

mutpuppy 7 years, 6 months ago

Lawrence cops are so quick to tell the newspaper about the Neighbors getting arrested, but they haven't told the journal world about

THE 4 OFFICERS THAT WERE SUSPENDED pending further investigation regarding the yellow house, or the 5th officer that was written up for procedural violation.

I take that back, the Journal World does know, but it looks like their artical so conveniently fails to mention that.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 6 months ago

Isn't it amazing how much trouble you can get into by just being innocent?....c'mon....

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 6 months ago

I understand that signs appeared in the YH about NO STOLEN ITEMS after their initial investigation.....their ad in the Trading Post reads the same..... implication by obvious denial?

I'm no fan of police or Feds or the Post Office or the IRS....but how can totally innocent people get in trouble with all these agencies at the same time....and the other amazing thing is that if they are in the trouble the agencies claim they are, then why wasn't the case open and shut years ago.?

mutpuppy 7 years, 6 months ago

Actually cynical I was the one who knows about the suspended officers and I would never give up my sources, but I rest assure they are straight from the horses mouth.

feeble 7 years, 6 months ago

Guy S. Neighbors, 48, and Carrie Neighbors, 45, each have been indicted on one count of conspiracy to manufacture marijuana, one count of unlawful possession of a firearm by users of a controlled substance and two counts of distributing marijuana.

A separate count seeks the forfeiture of firearms including several handguns, shotguns and rifles.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 6 months ago

When are they going to give up and leave these people alone?

It just all seems like trumped-up charges to me. They were convinced they were involved in a fencing operation, but when they couldn't find any proof of that, they decided to go after them for anything and everything they could find, even the most inconsequential things.

Considering how many posters have come on these forums touting hout marijuana is really harmless and should be legalized, and how many of you rabidly uphold your right to bear arms, perhaps you should be more worried about what's in your own basements.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 6 months ago

Because if they can come after the Neighbors', they can come after you just as easily.

I'm confused. Aren't these almost the exact same charges that were just dropped by a federal court??

How can the feds charge people with something when the same charged were just dropped by a federal court?

mutpuppy 7 years, 6 months ago

no, my point is that the LPD has a leak and I am not telling who that person is. I also just called Guy and he is going to post the inditement and it does not have any charges for distributing. Just the two aforementioned.

TheYetiSpeaks 7 years, 6 months ago

How many blog accounts do the neighbors have on here? This blog has been hijacked.

TheYetiSpeaks 7 years, 6 months ago

Posted by Lucky: "It certainly appears that there wouldn't have been this much law enforcement attention if the Neighbors weren't a mixed race couple."

That's a reach and ridiculous.

mutpuppy 7 years, 6 months ago

No I am not the neighbors, if you were on larryville too, you would know.

compmd 7 years, 6 months ago

feeble, thank you for posting the charges here.

"Aren't these almost the exact same charges that were just dropped by a federal court??"

Who cares if almost the same charges were dropped. We have rules against double jeopardy, not "almost double jeopardy."

The LPD is really inconsequential in the case at this point. Now that the Justice Department is running the show, it is their case; they will use their resources.

Oh, and if you want federal cases that go on for years only to be dismissed, perhaps you should pay attention to the various RIAA copyright infringement cases going on all over the country. And if you're interested in how long federal criminal trials can take, an excellent example is the Governor George Ryan trial that took place in the Northern District of Illinois. Cases go quickly when they don't go to trial.

"I think if you look it up Every Case is done With in a Week they have a 98% Conviction Rate"

And I think that even if your statistic is correct, that it includes defendants who plead guilty, making it a pretty useless statistic. If a case is done in a week and there is a conviction, the defendant pled guilty.

whatupdown 7 years, 6 months ago

why didn't they just get a pawnbrokers license if they wanted to fence stolen property

mutpuppy 7 years, 6 months ago

cynical, I understand what you're saying... however, facts aside, my personal opinion (which I have no proof of) is that the lawrence police have stretched the truth, or fibbed to the feds when they presented the evidence about the case. I don't think the federal prosecutor has gotten a completely truthful story from the LPD when taking on the case...but now that the case has gone so public and so much stink has been made, it's almost like they can't back out now. I think this because in order for the feds to take on a case like the fencing one, it has to be a "big fish" and I know the yellow house and have seen their house and I know they are NOT a big fish. Possession of marajuana is not a big crime either.... What do you think?

mutpuppy 7 years, 6 months ago

Possession of pot is NOT usually a Federal Crime. I know them personally, that is how I know they do not fence stolen goods.

rousseau108 7 years, 6 months ago

1. the federal charges everyone is talking about were "dropped" at the request of the prosecution--so they could have more time to go over new evidence and re-file so as not to miss the deadline.
  2. for those of you saying the LPD have some sort of vendetta against mixed-race couples, you obviously don't know any LPD officers. there are numerous officers married to someone of a different race.
  3. there have not been ANY officers suspended for the Yellow House. I challenge the person posting this to show some proof. anyone can make anything up and post it using an anonymous account. (yes, I know, my account is anonymous)

mutpuppy 7 years, 6 months ago

Marion I agree with you as I said earlier that there has been so much pubilicity and stink the they cannot turn back now. The feds are trying to save themselves at this point.

Marion, you seem wise with the law... if the chain of evidence was corrupted, there is evidence missing and procedures were violated, then isn't there a high probability that this case gets thrown out if it goes to court anyway? If thats the case, then could this be a stall technique by the feds hoping the neighbors would crack?

cowboy 7 years, 6 months ago

a federal indictment for a pot plant ? There must be a " rest of the story here " .

As we start with the hippocracy of drug laws in the US where in washington state if you get caught with plants in your home you get a misdemeanor ticket but in lawrence you get a federal charge , what bullsh!t ?

These are the same laws that get a kid with a few tiny bags of pot charged with intent to distribute , a felony , a big time dealer with less than a quarter oz of pot.

This is nothing more than a government vendetta and deserves an investigation by the AG of Kansas. I have never seen such vindictive prosecution.

That said any body who does drugs is an F-ing loser but I guess its your choice.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 6 months ago

"Anonymous user mutpuppy (Anonymous) says: Actually cynical I was the one who knows about the suspended officers and I would never give up my sources, but I rest assure they are straight from the horses mouth"

I suspect you were actually talking to the other end of the horse.

"Marion, you seem wise with the law:"

That's gotta be the funniest thing I've seen on this board in a long time.

Marion, the lawyer and legend in his own mind, who then turns around & appears to admit committing assault and battery.

John Spencer 7 years, 6 months ago

I wish the Admin on Larryville would fix my account so I could post there......

Flap Doodle 7 years, 6 months ago

"...But if you use inappropriate language (even when typographically obfuscated), or make potentially slanderous or libelous comments when using this site and its features, or engage in ad hominem attacks on fellow commenters, people mentioned in stories, or any employee of The Lawrence Journal-World or The World Company, we reserve the right (but assume no obligation) to remove any and/or all of your contributions...." http://www2.ljworld.com/site/rules/

mutpuppy 7 years, 6 months ago

Based on the times all these posts were posted....Looks like you guys thought about the yellow house all night long.... how sweet...

mutpuppy 7 years, 6 months ago

marion..... me no under tand thur poam derrrr

Flap Doodle 7 years, 6 months ago

":But if you use inappropriate language (even when typographically obfuscated), or make potentially slanderous or libelous comments when using this site and its features, or engage in ad hominem attacks on fellow commenters, people mentioned in stories, or any employee of The Lawrence Journal-World or The World Company, we reserve the right (but assume no obligation) to remove any and/or all of your contributions:." http://www2.ljworld.com/site/rules/

Flap Doodle 7 years, 6 months ago